Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Assos and Rapha Bib shorts...are they really that good?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-15, 04:36 PM
Billy1111

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad, Parlee ESX, Factor o2,Colnago CX Zero Disc,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Im searching for new bib short that provide excellent cushioning. Right now I have Sportful Giro and Giordana Silverline bibs and they really aren't cutting it. I have read such great reviews on the Assos and Raphas....so do u guys think they are worth the coin?
Old 10-12-15, 04:40 PM
RoderWrench

Bikes: Cannondale Slate and the rest don't matter anymore.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Actually, it sounds like maybe they are cutting it.
Old 10-12-15, 04:49 PM
JakiChan

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, so I'm Clyde and maybe that doesn't matter, but:

1. My standard go-to bib is the Specialized RBX Pro. It's decent.
2. I have the Rapha Classic bibs. I love them. I had a coupon for a discount when I bought them. In the 2X size they are a bit long on me, but it's what you get for being a fat guy in a skinny sport.

One side note: the Rapha Classic line comes with a guarantee that lets you ride them and try them and still return them. And the classic is $235, not $295.
Old 10-12-15, 04:58 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
i can get five, count'em, five, pairs of shorts for the price of one rapha classic.

i put them on before a ride and never ever think about them again until i take them off. pretty much true of all the low-ball priced cycling clothing i buy. they other day, i met up with a guy with a completely matching Pinarello outfit. even the socks matched.

imagine that, the left sock matched the right one! i just pull out two from the hamper and hope for the best. different strokes, i guess.
Old 10-12-15, 05:06 PM
JakiChan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hueyhoolihan
i can get five, count'em, five, pairs of shorts for the price of one rapha classic.
That's awesome for you. I'm happy. Really. I am. Meanwhile, that doesn't help the OP at all. And some of us have a much harder time finding bibs that fit us well. Would you like graphic photos of the infected saddle sore I got from a pair of PI Elite bibs? And that I don't get with the bibs I use now?
Old 10-12-15, 05:19 PM
RShantz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
I've got one pair of Assos & really like them, but I've got 6 pair of some Chinese brand bibs my team uses that I like almost as well. The reason I like the Assos better is that the sizing is better for me. I'm between sizes on the Chinese stuff.

I'm relatively light at 135-140lbs depending on the week. I've talked to other folks about bibs & my experience and several say I'll never have any problems with any bibs just b/c of my weight. Don't know if this is correct, but it kind of makes common sense. Depending on your weight this may or may not apply to you.
Old 10-12-15, 05:39 PM
RR3
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Are they worth it depends on your circumstances.

There is not another bib that I would wear on a nonstop 1200km ride. Assos.
Old 10-12-15, 05:45 PM
bakes1
Banned

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Le Champion lilac, 2015 Specialized Secteur Elite

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JakiChan
That's awesome for you. I'm happy. Really. I am. Meanwhile, that doesn't help the OP at all. And some of us have a much harder time finding bibs that fit us well. Would you like graphic photos of the infected saddle sore I got from a pair of PI Elite bibs? And that I don't get with the bibs I use now?
So by implying that you will get an infected saddle sore from buying anything but high end bibs you are helping the OP?
Old 10-12-15, 06:04 PM
JakiChan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bakes1
So by implying that you will get an infected saddle sore from buying anything but high end bibs you are helping the OP?
I didn't say that YOU will. I said I got a saddle sore from and have had trouble with cheap bibs. I have been way more comfortable in quality bibs.

The OP specifically asked for opinions on Assos and Rapha. He asked if they are "worth the coin". I have spent said coin, so offered an experience on my opinion with Rapha Classic bibs. If you want to dump on them, go ahead. Not all of us have good luck with cheap bibs, and it would appear that the bibs the OP has been using would fall into this category. You seem to be saying that the OP should be fine with the bibs he has, and yet clearly he's not. So I'm not sure what your point was. It doesn't help the OP.
Old 10-12-15, 06:14 PM
barryflht

Bikes: Trek Verve 1 Hybrid

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Assos are worth every penny on rides of 65 - 70 miles and up ... Most anything will work for a couple of hours and 30 miles or so.

Just my 2 pennies worth
Old 10-12-15, 06:18 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Oh man, OP, shorts aren't for cushioning. Saddles to a greater or lesser extent are for cushioning. Shorts are for protecting the skin from abrasion. In other words the (chamois) pad in the best shorts either slide on the skin and don't abrade it or cling to the skin and the entire garment slides. In either case nothing rubs the skin raw and causes saddle sores. For years and years the best shorts had real chamois lining them. Chamois becomes slick as snot when it gets wet, so as soon as the rider would begin to perspire, the pad would protect the skin from abrasion. Don't make the mistake of thinking expensive shorts can make up for a bad saddle.

If you need more cushioning, look at your saddle. But most likely you just need a better bike fit and saddle fit.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 10-12-15, 06:59 PM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Would you like graphic photos of the infected saddle sore I got from a pair of PI Elite bibs?
Saddle sores are usually caused by poor hygiene, not cheap bibs.
Old 10-12-15, 07:04 PM
hueyhoolihan

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
so are you offering me two snap-shots of your crotch? one with a nasty saddle-sore (compliments of Pl Elite bibs) and one sans infected sore?

tempting, but, uh... no, i just sat down to eat. maybe later.

Last edited by hueyhoolihan; 10-12-15 at 07:12 PM.
Old 10-12-15, 07:05 PM
Billy1111

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad, Parlee ESX, Factor o2,Colnago CX Zero Disc,

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Oh man, OP, shorts aren't for cushioning. Saddles to a greater or lesser extent are for cushioning. Shorts are for protecting the skin from abrasion. In other words the (chamois) pad in the best shorts either slide on the skin and don't abrade it or cling to the skin and the entire garment slides. In either case nothing rubs the skin raw and causes saddle sores. For years and years the best shorts had real chamois lining them. Chamois becomes slick as snot when it gets wet, so as soon as the rider would begin to perspire, the pad would protect the skin from abrasion. Don't make the mistake of thinking expensive shorts can make up for a bad saddle.

If you need more cushioning, look at your saddle. But most likely you just need a better bike fit and saddle fit.
Wow my bad, I really thought they were multi-use, for cushion and protection. I've only been riding a year so forgive me
Old 10-12-15, 07:14 PM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hueyhoolihan
so are you offering me two snap-shots of your crotch? one with a nasty saddle-sore (compliments of Pl Elite bibs) and one sans infected sore?
why does one take pictures of their saddle-sores?
Old 10-12-15, 07:17 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
Originally Posted by BoSoxYacht
Actually they are started by abrasions. Once the skin surface is scraped enough, bacteria comes into play.
Old 10-12-15, 07:18 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
duplicate post

Last edited by StanSeven; 10-12-15 at 08:16 PM.
Old 10-12-15, 07:19 PM
hueyhoolihan

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
the inspiration for the pics never occured to me. ...or maybe i just didn't want to pry. anyway, good question.

although now i'm thinking that medical journals and texts often do contain outrageously exaggerated examples of festered boils, abcesses, carbuncles, and fistulas. they've got to get the pics from somewhere. so maybe there's big money in stuff like that. IDK.
Attached Images
File Type: gif
shrug2.gif (2.5 KB, 269 views)

Last edited by hueyhoolihan; 10-12-15 at 11:36 PM.
Old 10-12-15, 07:20 PM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by StanSeven
bacteria comes into play.
clean your butt, and bibs.
Old 10-12-15, 08:08 PM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Evo Hi mod

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
People like to hate on Rapha just because. Never understood why. Everyone says they are so expensive but yet, other brands such as LG, Giordana, Capo, Ale, POC, Nalini, Sorrenson....etc all make shorts that are equal or MORE expensive that Rapha. Nobody ever complains about those brands though.

The truth is, they are both Great brands that provide excellent gear. Both have fantastic chamois pads, great quality, great customer service and are durable. Are they "Worth it"? Depends on what you classify as worth it. There are many different brands out there that provide similar protection for the same cost and cheaper even. Bib shorts with chamais all have the same components. A chamois pad that you sit on which is supposed to create protection and comfort for your sit bones as well as bibs that go over your shoulders to keep them up and in position. if they are all the same, then why so many different types of chamois pads that are of shape and density? Simple answer is because not one pad is for the every man. Some people prefer a thin pad or no pad even, while other like myself prefer a thicker more dense pad. Some folks here are fine with the bottom line performance brand bibs. For me, their pad doesn't work for me and i dont care for the fit. But, thats my opinion based on how it fit me compared to other brands. Chamois pads are also something to take into consideration such as shape, thickness and density. I find shorts to be some what like saddles. Just because a bib short works for one person, doesn't mean it will be the answer for everyone else. I dont like castelli shorts because I dont like their chamois pads. I feel they arent' wide enough and they arent thick enough for my liking. BUT, there are TONS of people who swear by them.

I was very loyal Rapha customer. Once I tried Rapha, it blew everything else out of the water that I had previously tried. I stuck with the brand because I knew it worked for me. I liked their design and their quality. I recently branched out and tried a brand called "MAAP apparel" from australia and after one ride I could tell that it was better FOR ME than the Rapha. I sold all of my rapha gear with the exception of my 2 winter gear kits and invested all my earnings into MAAP. The jerseys fit me better, the shorts are equal in fit, but I like the chamois pad to be better. Its positioned better and allows me to sit directly on the meat/thickest part of the pad. It is more dense and protects my sit bones better. Have not had any chaffing or sit bone fatigue since wearing this brand.

So is it worth it? In my opinion, absolutely it is worth it....IF they fit you properly and you are able to afford them. Its a trial and error. First, figure out what you are willing to spend. Second, go to a bike shop and try some on. Third, narrow down what felt best and fourth buy a pair and try them out and hope they work out for ya. Cheers

Last edited by bianchi10; 10-12-15 at 09:08 PM.
Old 10-12-15, 08:26 PM
crazyarm07

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've gotten to the point where I wear Assos bibs almost exclusively (in the summer. For some reason I like Castelli's stuff for colder weather). I love them. Very pricey, but you can get them at a better price (check the Assos Factory Outlet site), and ridiculously comfortable. Love me some Assos.
Old 10-12-15, 09:11 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Billy1111
Wow my bad, I really thought they were multi-use, for cushion and protection. I've only been riding a year so forgive me
They are sold for both purposes, but you only need the abrasion protection. Your saddle should do the cushioning job. Folks nowadays want sleeker, lighter, thinner saddles and then try to buy padding in every pair of shorts to make up for it. Why not just buy the padding once as part of the saddle.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 10-12-15, 09:15 PM
JakiChan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wrong. Be as clean as you want, there is still bacteria on your skin. If the seams or edges of the chamois break your skin you can get infected, no matter how well you wash. That not may be what you consider a "saddle sore". Anything in the crotchal region that is caused by riding I call a saddle sore.
Old 10-12-15, 09:16 PM
JakiChan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To consult with a doctor when she's really busy. "Hey, have your partner take a picture and send it to me. I'll tell you if I want you to come in."
Old 10-12-15, 09:17 PM
JakiChan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
They are sold for both purposes, but you only need the abrasion protection. Your saddle should do the cushioning job. Folks nowadays want sleeker, lighter, thinner saddles and then try to buy padding in every pair of shorts to make up for it. Why not just buy the padding once as part of the saddle.
If the padding is on the saddle, then you're going to move around the saddle, likely leading to more friction and rubbing. Good bibs will put the cushion right where it needs to be and keep it there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.