Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What kind of stainless steel is best for fender stays?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 02-23-18, 06:30 PM
*Scuba 
Made in Taiwan

Bikes: Camerotti ti roadbike, Old Sears Free Spirit Tange Hi-Ten Single Speed built from a 12 speed, 1997 Cannondale CAD3 r500 with Shimano 6400 groupset

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts

Hi all,

I snagged a pair of vintage stainless steel fenders off of my local CL, they had been posted for a long time, didn't need them. But when then I saw the poster lower the price and after a couple of months, the price finally dropped down to $15CDN, so I decided to pick them up.

The fenders are in great shape, however the original fender stays are really beat up, there is heavy corrosion and some pretty deep pitting from rust. They were chrome plated, but I guess, over the years the chrome has either flaked or bubbled off and has allowed the underlying steel to corrode.

I want to restore the fenders (even though I don't have a bike for them at the moment). One idea that was suggested to me, was to polish up the current stays with steel wool and sandpaper and get them rechromed or nickle plated. But, I think that would take a lot of elbow grease and the finished results would not look that nice, since there would be pits from the rust giving it a dimpled surface. My idea was to fabricate some new fender stays to replace the originals.

I know that I can order some three feet lengths of stainless steel round stock from McMaster Carr in 4mm diameter. But there are quite a few options, they have 303, 304 and 316 stainless to choose from. 316 stainless steel has the best corrosion resistance, but it is also three times the cost of the 303. When I emailed both SKS and Planet Bike to ask them what type of stainless steel they use in their fender stays, since they hold up well to the weather in the Pacific Northwest, neither of their service reps could tell me the type of material used, except to confirm that it is a stainless steel material.

There are chemical tests that can be performed on stainless steel to grade them, but I don't have ready access to either sulphuric acid or hydrocloric acid. Neither do I want to purchase an expensive steel test kit from a metal supply company. So, I was hoping that some one here with some industry connection or knowledge would be able to tell me the type of stainless steel that are normally used for bicycle fender manufacturing.

Don't have pictures right now, but will share some pictures of my project at the earliest opportunity.
Old 02-23-18, 06:42 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
You are fabbing fender stays, not building an airplane engine, get the cheap stuff. Any of them will be so much better than the original chrome-plated mild steel that they will probably outlive you.
Old 02-23-18, 07:20 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,259 Times in 868 Posts
Any 300 series should work fine.
3X as much as what. If it's $1 vs $.33, shipping cost is probably a bigger concern.
Old 02-23-18, 07:42 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Any of the 300-series will be fine. 303 or 304 are more than adequate and 316 is overkill. You are putting them on a bike, not building chemical plant equipment.
Old 02-23-18, 09:00 PM
TGT1

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Yep!

303 is just an easier to machine version of 304. No need for 316 on a bike.
Old 02-23-18, 11:32 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
If you can, set up a customer account with McMaster-Carr. It may get you better prices/terms/shipping. I think it matters a lot with MSC, and with Grainger.

I'm a PhD Chemical Engineer who's worked in chemical plants. The other guys are spot on. The cheapest austenitic (300 grade) SS will avoid corrosion sufficiently. Please take heed to the caution about machinability. 300 SS exhibits EXTREME work hardening, and this is especially the case in stuff that's already been cold-formed or drawn (cold-drawn bar or wire). Push down on the drill press handle too slowly with too fast a spindle speed, and you will have a dull drill rubbing against very hard steel very quicly. If you are going to machine the stuff, make sure you get annealed bar, and not cold drawn wire.

If you think you're gonna drill it or tap it, be prepared for a significant learning curve and have spare bits and taps. Unless this isn't your first stainless rodeo. Good luck.
Old 02-24-18, 12:01 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,404 Posts
304 is the most common and readily available as wire. It also has good workability, which is important to you.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 02-24-18, 12:55 AM
*Scuba 
Made in Taiwan

Bikes: Camerotti ti roadbike, Old Sears Free Spirit Tange Hi-Ten Single Speed built from a 12 speed, 1997 Cannondale CAD3 r500 with Shimano 6400 groupset

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
3X as much as what. If it's $1 vs $.33, shipping cost is probably a bigger concern.
For the various three feet lengths, the prices are as follow (all funds in USD).

303 is $5.14
304 is $6.45
316 is $15.87

Therefore, if I was to use 316 4mm diameter round bar for the fenders to make my fender stays, they would cost over $30 USD for me.
Old 02-24-18, 01:01 AM
*Scuba 
Made in Taiwan

Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
If you can, set up a customer account with McMaster-Carr. It may get you better prices/terms/shipping. I think it matters a lot with MSC, and with Grainger.

I'm a PhD Chemical Engineer who's worked in chemical plants. The other guys are spot on. The cheapest austenitic (300 grade) SS will avoid corrosion sufficiently. Please take heed to the caution about machinability. 300 SS exhibits EXTREME work hardening, and this is especially the case in stuff that's already been cold-formed or drawn (cold-drawn bar or wire). Push down on the drill press handle too slowly with too fast a spindle speed, and you will have a dull drill rubbing against very hard steel very quicly. If you are going to machine the stuff, make sure you get annealed bar, and not cold drawn wire.

If you think you're gonna drill it or tap it, be prepared for a significant learning curve and have spare bits and taps. Unless this isn't your first stainless rodeo. Good luck.
The vintage fenders that I am refurbishing have stays like the Honjo style fender stays, U shaped that wrap around the back of the fenders. So no need to drill or machine anything. Just going to bend a piece of straight 4mm stainless steel into a U shape. I will probably need to cut the ends, as I only need a 800mm to make the fender stays.

Shipping should not cost too much, I have a friend that lives in White Rock, British Columbia, just on the other side of the US border of Blaine, Washington. He uses a freight fowarding company to save on shipping costs and he lets me ship stuff there for him to pick up. It is not an issue or inconvenience, since he go over the border to fill up on cheaper gas for his car in the US at least once a week.
Old 02-24-18, 01:05 AM
*Scuba 
Made in Taiwan

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions, I think I have made up my mind.

Since 304 has slightly better corrosion resistance than 303 and is only cost slightly more, I am going to go ahead and order two lengths of that.

Like I said, shipping won't be across the border into Canada, so it should be pretty reasonable.
Old 02-24-18, 11:04 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Originally Posted by *Scuba
The vintage fenders that I am refurbishing have stays like the Honjo style fender stays, U shaped that wrap around the back of the fenders. So no need to drill or machine anything. Just going to bend a piece of straight 4mm stainless steel into a U shape. I will probably need to cut the ends, as I only need a 800mm to make the fender stays.
That sounds like a nice, simple, functional and elegant design. You may want to consider using a wire bending tool (pretty cheap: about 8 bucks US) to get the "eyes" right. Or make your own. They look like this:

Old 02-24-18, 11:21 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
That sounds like a nice, simple, functional and elegant design. You may want to consider using a wire bending tool (pretty cheap: about 8 bucks US) to get the "eyes" right. Or make your own. They look like this:

Good suggestion. If you bend the wire freehand you are likely to kink it or get a bend of the wrong radius that will be hard to correct. Use (or make) a wire bending tool as shown or use a piece of pipe of the correct diameter to bend the wire around.
Old 02-24-18, 11:37 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
FWIW Thicker Aluminum rod is also used .. P clips used at the frame eyelets to mount them ..

(order a Brompton with the Ti parts and the mudguard struts are Ti, too..)

I'd go dig around in the LBS basement and just get struts from old mudguards that died in the line of duty..

Old 02-24-18, 04:47 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
+1, as others have also said: any 300. But, for real corrosion protection it will need to be fully passivated after bending/cutting. Maybe try some aluminum solid wire as used by chain link fencing to tie the fabric to the posts. It's very stiff due to work hardening and no passivation needed.
Old 02-24-18, 05:17 PM
Ghrumpy

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by AnkleWork
+1, as others have also said: any 300. But, for real corrosion protection it will need to be fully passivated after bending/cutting.
Right, so break out the nitric acid!

j/k apparently citric acid can do the job well enough. You should be able to find that in the canning section of the grocery store.
Old 02-24-18, 05:41 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,404 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghrumpy
Right, so break out the nitric acid!

j/k apparently citric acid can do the job well enough. You should be able to find that in the canning section of the grocery store.
Passivation is simply about removing surfae contamination that can serve as a gateway for ions to penetrate the chromium oxide skin that makes stainless rustproof. Acids are used in industry because they're cheap, fast and effective, but those are not the only options.

You can use a mild acid, even vinegar or lemon juice or oxalic acid (sold for household cleaning purposes) and one of those green "Scotchbrite" pads to polish the surface, removing a thin layer, and letting it naturally form the protective skin. The one thing you cannot use is a steel wool pad, since iron transfer is exactly what you're trying to avoid.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 02-24-18, 10:11 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

The comments on passivation are all true, but they all depend upon a scrupulously cleaned, degreased part. Industrially, they wash and degrease, then soak in 5% sodium hydroxide for 30 minutes (at 170°F), then 10% citric acid for 30 minutes (at 150° F), then another 30 minutes in the hydroxide. That's overkill.

Wash the bracket with dish soap or TSP, water rinse, soak in 10% citric for the 30 minutes at 150, rinse, and you should be good to go. If you ride a lot in winter in Pittsburgh, with road salt, or you live on an island near the ocean and get the salt mist, you could do the hydroxide pre and post treatment, but I wouldn't.
Old 02-24-18, 10:42 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
I'd judt buy premade ones. Most LBS have unused ones for sale as surplus.
Old 03-07-18, 12:44 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,577 Times in 2,341 Posts
I'm a PhD Chemical Engineer who's worked in chemical plants.If you think you're gonna drill it or tap it, be prepared for a significant learning curve and have spare bits and taps.
you would have enjoyed my nightmare when I broke a bolt that holds my car's hatchback door on & while trying to extract the broken bolt, broke a hardened steel threaded extractor into the hole I had drilled in the bolt. then I had to drill out the hardened steel tool to insert a new fluted extractor, which did the trick. did indeed go thru many bits, including left hand bits
Old 03-07-18, 01:04 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
you would have enjoyed my nightmare when I broke a bolt that holds my car's hatchback door on & while trying to extract the broken bolt, broke a hardened steel threaded extractor into the hole I had drilled in the bolt. then I had to drill out the hardened steel tool to insert a new fluted extractor, which did the trick. did indeed go thru many bits, including left hand bits
Holy cow, my condolences. Typically you need a carbide burr on a flexible shaft tool or a die grinder to get a thread extractor or drill out. That you got it out with drill bits is impressive as hell. You must be one persistent individual.
Old 03-07-18, 01:48 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,577 Times in 2,341 Posts
Holy cow, my condolences. Typically you need a carbide burr on a flexible shaft tool or a die grinder to get a thread extractor or drill out. That you got it out with drill bits is impressive as hell. You must be one persistent individual.
thanks, it took weeks & several Amazon orders. when it finally came out I was so overjoyed I showed it to my new neighbors walking by. gosh only knows what they were thinking "um ok wutz the big deal, but whatevs ..." I'd share a pic or three but the images I posted on other forums were on photobucket so I'd have to dig up the originals & haven't been able to justify that yet