Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

What made you switch from a conventional bike?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

What made you switch from a conventional bike?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-18, 03:41 AM
ethanscott

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I am not exactly in the perfect shape to be entirely honest.
So it is not in my capacity to cycle continuously for miles together since there I have recently suffered an injury in the knee as well.
Moreover, it is fun
Old 07-04-18, 06:52 PM
vja4Him
GadgetJim57

Bikes: Yuba Sweet Curry eBike, Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
My health has been steadily declining … I too feel like I'm going to have a heart attack sometimes. My average speed decreased from around 10mph … to 8-9mph .... and down to 5-6mph when pedaling my Surly Long Haul Trucker. I have been riding my Surly Long Haul Trucker since 2009, but last year (2017) I had to finally quit cycling. I have been riding Uber and Lyft, but that is getting to be much too expensive, around $300-400+ each month. So, I finally made the jump …. to invest in an eBike. A friend is building a custom eBike from a new Yuba Sweet Curry …. Should be ready very soon … I am planning on two eBike tours this year, and at least two more eBike tours for 2019 …..

Riding an eBike will be much more economical for me … I figure the long-run cost of maintaining my eBike will be around $40-50/month. That includes all of the costs for replacing the batteries … new tires every two years … tune-ups every year, and all other possible costs. Cost of charging my four huge batteries (20A each) will be around $30/year.
Old 07-04-18, 07:08 PM
vja4Him
GadgetJim57

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
This is my Yuba Sweet Curry Cargo Bike before any custom work. Originally I was only going to have one battery, then decided on getting two. Upgraded to four 20A batteries (LiFePo4), which will give me around 120 mile range with no pedaling. I have added different handlebars and a custom seat, and many more custom features …..

Old 07-04-18, 07:11 PM
vja4Him
GadgetJim57

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
This is the new Battery Box, which will be secured to the bicycle frame from the inside, with a heavy-duty padlock. The battery box will have Charging Ports: 1 Cigarette Lighter port, and 2 USB ports. I will also have my own personal Logo on the back end, and both sides of the battery box.

Last edited by vja4Him; 07-04-18 at 07:13 PM. Reason: forgot more details
Old 07-04-18, 07:17 PM
vja4Him
GadgetJim57

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
This is the 1500W hub motor on my Yuba Sweet Curry. I decided to go with the larger motor, since I will be carrying so much weight. The Yuba Sweet Curry alone weighs in at 44 pounds. The four batteries weigh 80 pounds. The bike with no cargo will weigh at least 150 pounds. My weight is another 220 pounds. Plus around 80-100 pounds of cargo when touring. I have carried 126 pounds of food on my Surly Long Haul Trucker. So, this Yuba Sweet Curry will be a workhorse ….. and hopefully will last many years …..

Old 07-13-18, 01:34 PM
indiana_jane

Bikes: Trek Domane AL2, Pedego Stretch

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like many in the thread, the ebike is an addition, not a substitution. I got it (a cargo bike -- Pedego Stretch) to transport heavy stuff, but, more often, my kid. He's 9, but his school is further than he's willing to bike on his own on a regular basis :-) . Plus the eBike is just fun.
Old 07-25-18, 07:50 PM
PhilWinIL

Bikes: '74 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2005 Raleigh Grand Prix, a Sun EZ-1 Recumbent (90's vintage), Sun Sport recumbent 2020, 6KUBikes kit bike converted to e-bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
More life to the car

My reason for looking seriously at an e-bike is to add some additional length to the life of the car. Just purchased a new one for my wife. Another reason is to be able to ride to work and not need another shower after getting there! From what I have seen, the better brands are worth the money. I am considering a Surface 604 Colt. Not the least expensive, but not the highest priced one out there. A couple of things stand out to me. They are made in British Columbia where rain is plentiful, and they use Samsung batteries. An additional feature is with the lights. The headlight and taillight are built in and it has a brake light in back. The speedometer assembly is water proof too.

The only down side I see to it are the black tires on the sides. With a dark colored frame, reflective tires make more sense to me, but the end user can take care of that.

Oh, and with the year rolling by as fast as it is, I turn 61 in December. Still riding my regular bikes, but sure see the advantages to e-bikes, especially with commuting. Not to retirement yet!

Phil
Old 07-25-18, 10:13 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 617 Posts
Phil, I was a fan of Surface 604 although I've never owned one; however you might look at the thread Surface 604 issues on this forum. I was surprised they didn't provide better service for the problem. Also, I know they're a Canadian-based company, but their bikes look like standard made in China wares.
Old 07-27-18, 11:44 PM
MadProphet
Drink my Koolaid

Bikes: 2013 Trek DS 8.3 (sold) '13 Trek Domane 2.0 (sold) '18 Trek Super Commuter 8s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Simple - hills. North and south, hills. East and west, hills. As my back and neck deteriorate, my desire to endure pain from other sources diminishes. Sold my last bike a couple years ago and watched as the pounds slowly accumulated. Since I was a kid, the only time I've lost weight (and gained energy) was when I was riding. My knees won't allow me to stand and pump the pedals, so I added a little assistance.

Can't wait to get out on the trails again.

Last edited by MadProphet; 07-27-18 at 11:47 PM.
Old 07-28-18, 06:22 PM
adcockj

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MadProphet
Simple - hills. North and south, hills. East and west, hills. As my back and neck deteriorate, my desire to endure pain from other sources diminishes. Sold my last bike a couple years ago and watched as the pounds slowly accumulated. Since I was a kid, the only time I've lost weight (and gained energy) was when I was riding. My knees won't allow me to stand and pump the pedals, so I added a little assistance.

Can't wait to get out on the trails again.
So are you converting your Trek DS? I converted a 2015 DS8.4, and LOVE it! (I used a Luna BBSHD kit.) It rides great and I ride much more than ever before -- I've ridden my Trek over 1600 miles since I converted it in late April. BTW...I bought a pre-built hub drive bike (Magnum Peak) before I converted the Trek, but like my Trek conversion much better.

Last edited by adcockj; 07-28-18 at 06:23 PM. Reason: correction: I see you sold your DS8.3...too bad!
Old 07-28-18, 06:25 PM
adcockj

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Correction: I see that MadProfet sold his Trrek DS8.3...too bad, he'd have loved the conversion!
Old 08-07-18, 12:36 PM
chalex

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I got a new commute to work which was not very far distance-wise but turned out to have a particularly bumpy section and a particularly windy section. I just sucks heading into a 20mph headwind for 10mins straight, but with the motor it is easy.
Old 08-22-18, 07:52 AM
sandeept

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My switch was due to the combination of the following
- Increased stamina
- Long commute
- Focus on fitness
My commute to the office is 27.5 km and most of it is on dedicated biking paths away from the cities. Only the last 5 km is within the city.
I started to commute to the office on my racing bike but it meant I had to shower at the office. Also, wind speeds and direction made my total journey time unpredictable.

With my eBike, I can make that distance in almost the same time as that for public transport, but I have more choice in when I leave. I also do not sweat enough to need a shower when I reach the office. In the past month or so that I have been using the eBike, I have not had much variance in ride times whether the wind helps me or tries to slow me down. The only thing that differs is the percentage of battery that is used to compensate for the wind.
Old 09-19-18, 02:45 PM
powell

Bikes: E+ kit, BIONX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
the reason number 1 for me was to cover distances.
On my way to work I am passed by 1, 2 cars max on 0.5 kilometer streach of street because I ride around 50km/h,
on regular MTB no assist I am passed by 10 -15 cars
every passing car = danger.
so for me ebike = safer commute.
Old 09-20-18, 09:26 AM
kcflyer

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Fear. I was riding a regular bike and struggling away to improve. I'm 61, but at 60 I went for my annual physical and the doctor said "Hmmm...you've got a heart murmur" and sent me to a cardiologist. Went thru the tests there. I told the cardiologist about my cycling and my intent to do high intensity interval training. He told me cycling was fine - but the HIIT was a no go. I was averaging about 12 mph on 30 to 50 mile rides, but wanted to do some groups. While they were no drop rides, they preferred that the average pace on some rides be around 16 mph. So I resigned myself to solo rides - but in the back of my mind I heard "no high intensity" - every time I was stuggling up a hill. It got bad enough that almost put my bike away. Then I looked for an ebike that could "help" me over the hills, and I wanted a road bike. I bought a Giant Road E. Not something with a throttle - I wanted to pedal like everybody else. The effect for me was that it flattened hills. I still pedaled - I still sweat on that bike - I still get my heart rate up when climbing hills. It's just that the heart rate is not as high as it was, and going up the hill is actually kind of fun now. Net result - I can ride with the groups - and I can keep a 16 mph or higher average speed. An added benefit - I ride for fitness...I've lost weight, improved my cholesterol and blood sugar numbers, and I no longer have any excuse NOT to ride.
Old 09-22-18, 03:19 PM
rmueller

Bikes: Catrike Villager with Golden Motor Magic Pie Edge

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For me it was three things, the pain of riding my DF...wrists, back and neck (can only spend so many hours in hot tub) and after a full cardiac exam along with a stress test the doc said everything is good except you need to build up stamina. I can't stand running and I loved riding my bikes, but just too much pain. I decided to go with a Catrike Villager and motorize it with a GM Magic Pie Edge. At 62 I now can ride relatively pain free for hours, hills disappear, and I have a significant variety of courses since terrain is a non-issue.

ron
Old 09-24-18, 01:12 AM
sandeept

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am not that old, only 40. I only started riding bikes this year. I built up some stamina that I could go with my friends for a 125 km (78 miles) from Amsterdam to the Belgian border.

But when it came to the point of replacing the train with my bike for my 28 km (20 mi) (one-way) commute, the racing bike was not sufficient. The Netherlands is a flat but windy place. I would need a shower every day I rode to the office. That would add time and effort to the already tiring trip. And I would not have the energy to work full time and have an unpredictable journey time (due to winds) more than once a week.

So I started looking at electric bikes and decided on the VanMoof Electrified S. The good thing with the bike is that it takes a very predictable time for the journey, whether the wind is against me or not. I also do not need to take a shower when I reach my office; only when I am home do I feel like showering.
Old 09-24-18, 09:15 AM
Tino Tino

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 13 mile each way commute. I brought a Walmart commuter, rode it a few days and promptly returned it.

It would take me 75-80 mins and a shower with that bike. My work has shower but I don't want to do it every morning.

With my Voltbike Urban, I get to work 53-60 min consistently. If I want to ride more I can turn off power on the way back and paddle slowly.

With MTA subway and bus, it takes me 90-100 minutes, sometimes longer!
Old 09-24-18, 09:04 PM
sergiol83

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Makes my commute so much easier!
Old 10-03-18, 06:06 PM
Buglady

Bikes: 2018 Ghost Square Trekking B2.8 e-bike; 2015 MEC Cote gravel/touring bike; 1985 Boyes-Rosser tourer, now outfitted as Winter Trundle-bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Haven't switched - added to the fleet! But I confess I haven't ridden any other bike in a while, because it is such a nice change to be able to go placed without becoming so exhausted I can't enjoy myself.

(Endometriosis kicked my ass hard a couple of years ago, and I'm recovering slower than I'd hoped. Might have a bit of a chronic fatigue or long term low level pain... oh well. Still rubber side down).
Old 10-04-18, 07:14 AM
drzdave58

Bikes: Ruff custom build..Electra mulholland 3i..vanmoof S3..1947rollfast...felt happy hour..focus planet..Dahon curve d3 41 Schwinn custom..Moulton tsr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
For me...I use my ebike as an alternative to taking my car...errands around town are way more fun...if I feel like exercise I ride one of my other regular bikes...I’ve had it two years and have no regrets...one of the best things I’ve ever done..riding it is so much fun...no more fighting the wind or struggling up hills...theres no down side imo..
Old 10-09-18, 08:09 PM
lkoyanagi

Bikes: Tern D7e

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by slomoshun
Motivation: Hills everywhere, age, and I prefer to arrive on time and not needing a shower.

eBike.... Way Mo Betta
Shakas!
Old 10-16-18, 08:48 PM
AlanK

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
I view cycling primarily as transportation first, exercise second, so want something reasonably efficient. I try to stay in shape, live in a hilly area and don't mind expending effort on those hills, BUT it going up a long, steep incline on a standard bike just takes sooooo long!

Just in terms of exercise, running and hiking is healthier than cycling (assuming you don't have health issues that prevent running), so I'd rather spend 15 minutes cycling to a trail-head and 45 minutes running rather than spend 30 min cycling and 30 min running.

You can also tow considerably more weight farther on an e-bike. I don't have a car, and since an e-bike would be my only transportation I need something practical and efficient.
Old 10-24-18, 03:27 PM
Joey21

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Hills, southern heat and humidity. I've never been a very athletic guy. Long hikes, long bike rides but never fast, always stopping for a rest. Wanted to bike more but the traffic scared me - no road shoulder in places, no bike lanes, long SLOW grinds up hills for me, shower and a nap would be necessary at work. I practiced the trip several times on the weekends. No thanks.

I was aware of ebikes as far back as 2008. Too expensive for me. Didn't want to buy a toy that would wear out or leave me wanting something nicer.

I'm middle aged and realized after a winter and a temporary respiratory illness that my seasonal recoveries were taking longer each year. I need to loose weight.

So I converted my ten year old Trek mtn bike to an electric commuter in 2017 with a BBSHD 48V kit. Its been grand. Last summer I rode 500 miles. Told myself this spring that I wanted to ride 750 miles in 2018. So far I've ridden 1500 miles this summer. I don't plan to stop riding this winter as I've slowly discovered good gear - proper foul/cold weather gear. I want to ride more. Have finally discovered some safe routes in the countryside. Making more time to ride. Studying on eating better (got stuck in a dietary rut). Am feeling better. Happier.

This bike ought to absolutely fly once I've lost alot of weight. Its pretty fast already. More speed and more range will follow. I bought a non-powered used road bike last night. Want to put some miles on it too.

Last edited by Joey21; 10-24-18 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Forgot a sentence
Old 10-28-18, 11:14 PM
lkoyanagi

Bikes: Tern D7e

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rootman
I'm pushing 60, I just had a 2 year hiatus due to other projects and an injury (or two). I went out Monday and put on 8 miles and thought I was going to have a heart attack tackling the couple of hills coming back from an otherwise pleasant ride. I was kicking around the idea of an ebike, just to assist on the hills. I LIKE pedaling, but putting both derailleurs in 1st and furiously spinning is wearing me out. I have NEVER done hills well. It just doesn't seem to be in me. Even at my best in 2015 I always had issues with hills.

So, what's your story? Time? Distance? Hills? Body issues? Did it make the difference for you so you could keep riding? I'd like to know.
I'm 72 now and unathletic and retired. I switched to an electric bike because of my stated situation and the hilly island on which I live. Younger riders have difficulty with the hills with their expensive plastic and titanium bikes and I can pass them up going uphill without much sweat. But their challenge seems to be on the flats speeding along with their polyester colorful logoed tights which I don't own. I just want to get from A to B to A with little effort, opposite to their maximum pumping effort and cash expense. My bike is rugged while theirs are fragile.

Few people commute to work from the suburbs to town or downtown by bike, but more commute from town to downtown with or without electric assist. Why?

Here, high volume bike stores are selling electric bikes now, along with ebike stores, and ebikes cant be registered yet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.