Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Created Some Problems

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Created Some Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-18, 08:06 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Bikes: Giant Talon 29 - Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 33 Posts
Created Some Problems

So my 40lb. beast, the Schwinn city runner, was making some noise at the cog. I decided to tackle it today. I figured I could handle tacking the wheel off and tear it down to a point I could clean it, maybe tighten it as it had some play. It was sort of grinding when I was in a coast. It got worse over the past couple or 3 days so something had to be done.

Ended up taking the skure, the axle out and the bearings just started dropping out. lol. So, I ended up taking all the bearings out and God only knows how anyone could get them back in place.

And now I'm at a point where I need the special tool to get the cog apart. I'm screwed. Now I'm not even sure which way the axle feeds through the hub and a washer feel out too. I might be able to piece it back together but I think I'm over my head.

The bearings... omg... laughing. My bike... omg.... crying. ....Ha.!! Can anyone tell me where I'm at and where I went wrong.??
Old 10-05-18, 08:20 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
I see what the problem is
Old 10-05-18, 08:35 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4204 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,309 Posts
Let's see, you tried to do something you had little idea how to do or the possible complications and rapidly fell behind of the situation.

Some here will try to talk you through the possible repairs and you might struggle through them. Of course some tools and parts will be needed and if you can't assess the condition of certain parts your results will be sub par. So I suggest you will be better off by letting a LBS help you out. I suspect a replacement wheel will be the likely estimate. Broken axles (for how long? we don't really know) can be replaced but other potential wheel conditions (rim, spokes, hub bearing cups) often make a complete wheel replacement the best long term investment. Andy
Old 10-05-18, 08:53 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Originally Posted by trailangel
I see what the problem is
Well, I never looked at it that way said the spider as he walked across the mirror.

Last edited by BirdsBikeBinocs; 10-08-18 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10-05-18, 08:56 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Or as I like to say- "I see" Said the blind man to the deaf woman. Andy (hoping I haven't just done a PC no no)
Old 10-05-18, 09:21 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Or as I like to say- "I see" Said the blind man to the deaf woman. Andy (hoping I haven't just done a PC no no)
Nah... Near as I can tell you can let it fly here. Which is very refreshing I might add.
Old 10-05-18, 09:32 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Did you actually unthread a locknut and cone? I'm guessing 'no' and that your axle is broken. If so, collect the loose parts and take them with the wheel to a bike shop and ask them to install a new axle and bearings.
Old 10-05-18, 10:08 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Originally Posted by AnkleWork
Did you actually unthread a locknut and cone? I'm guessing 'no' and that your axle is broken. If so, collect the loose parts and take them with the wheel to a bike shop and ask them to install a new axle and bearings.
I'm going to say yes to the lock nut and cone. 2 nuts on each end of the axle. I figured the axle had to come out to get to the cog.

I think I'll bring the parts to the LBS, see what they say. Worst case I can get close to the same bike at Walmart for $200.

I use the bike for local errands and appointments in combination with public transportation. It's a city runner.
Old 10-06-18, 10:50 AM
nfmisso
Nigel

Bikes: 1980s and 1990s steel: CyclePro, Nishiki, Schwinn, SR, Trek........

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BirdsBikeBinocs
I'm going to say yes to the lock nut and cone. 2 nuts on each end of the axle. I figured the axle had to come out to get to the cog.
no
I think I'll bring the parts to the LBS, see what they say. Worst case I can get close to the same bike at Walmart for $200.

I use the bike for local errands and appointments in combination with public transportation. It's a city runner.
You can get a replacement wheel on Amazon for < $50-. If you tell us the size of the wheel and tire and share some pictures, we will be able to be more specific.
Old 10-06-18, 11:13 AM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Originally Posted by nfmisso
no

You can get a replacement wheel on Amazon for < $50-. If you tell us the size of the wheel and tire and share some pictures, we will be able to be more specific.
Thanks buddy. I took the parts and the wheel up the road to the bike shop. The free wheel is toast. Grinding with a lot of play. He ordered some parts(part) and I'll have it back and ready to go Wednesday.

Certainly a learning project for me, which is great. You'd think a bicycle is basic mechanics but inside that wheel, the hub, there's a lot going on. I'll pay closer attention next time.
Old 10-06-18, 12:06 PM
AtNjineer
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 23 Posts
I took on a schwinn coaster hub before. Then took it to the lbs. it still had drag. I s wapped the hub with a cheap $10 China one and then the steel hoop was not circular anymore lol I ended up buying a $10 bc just for the wheels
Old 10-07-18, 06:43 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,181 Times in 1,183 Posts
Nah... Near as I can tell you can let it fly here. Which is very refreshing I might add.
BBB,
Just a followup...Trollheim is the place that is meant to be refreshing and to get refreshed.
Jm2c's, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 10-07-18, 06:54 PM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Let's see, you tried to do something you had little idea how to do or the possible complications and rapidly fell behind of the situation.

Some here will try to talk you through the possible repairs and you might struggle through them. Of course some tools and parts will be needed and if you can't assess the condition of certain parts your results will be sub par. So I suggest you will be better off by letting a LBS help you out. I suspect a replacement wheel will be the likely estimate. Broken axles (for how long? we don't really know) can be replaced but other potential wheel conditions (rim, spokes, hub bearing cups) often make a complete wheel replacement the best long term investment. Andy
I agree - take it to a shop. They probably won't charge you anything to take a look and make a recommendation. I also agree that in the end, a wheel replacement will likely be the most economical solution.
Old 10-08-18, 06:30 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Originally Posted by exmechanic89
I agree - take it to a shop. They probably won't charge you anything to take a look and make a recommendation. I also agree that in the end, a wheel replacement will likely be the most economical solution.
When you say a wheel replacement, would that wheel come with the cassette and axle in a way I could simply put it on my bike and ride.?? Rider ready, so to speak.??
Old 10-08-18, 06:47 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

When you say a wheel replacement, would that wheel come with the cassette and axle in a way I could simply put it on my bike and ride.?? Rider ready, so to speak.??
No. The wheel is not likely to come with a cassette (how would the wheel maker know which cassette you want/need). Wheels do come with axles of the type speced in the product description.The usual is to have the original cassette (and rubber) transferred over to the new wheel. Then who ever installs it on the bike needs to check (and correct as needed) the rear brake and rear der adjustments to work properly with the new arrangement. If this is unknown, unable to be done by the bike's owner or if the owner hasn't the proper tools and won't buy them and find out how to do all this then the shop that sells you the wheel can do all this for you. (and that's hard to accomplish if the "shop" is a mail/on line one and not a nearby brick and mortar one).

For the best plug and play have the shop do all. For the least cost (at the risk of the least result) do it yourself. Andy