Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Trek Marlin 5 a 2nd bike?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-19, 07:07 AM
johjo

Bikes: Bianchi Lucca

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I noticed a barely used new Trek Marlin 5 Women's in my size and plan to look at it tomorrow if it is still available. The reason I think I might enjoy it is to try the most basic easy mtb trails available and for the gravel type paths I've mostly ridden so far with my new Bianchi Lucca. I love my Lucca, but I'm not sure it's the best for the canal paths and stuff I've really enjoyed touring. My thought so far is even if not the *best* for those situations, if I'm riding every chance I get and loving it, who cares? I can't really damage the bike by slowly bumping along and dodging ruts and roots here and there, right?

The Marlin, new is about 540 and the seller is asking 400. Thanks in advance for suggestions!
Old 06-06-19, 08:38 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 204 Posts
I'd say that Marlin 5 isn't worth having as a second bike. It is quite the low end entry level MTB, heavy, with cheap components. For $400 you should be able to find a bit older but considerably better used MTB, if that's what you want. Although there shouldn't be any problems riding light trails on a hybrid.
Old 06-06-19, 08:17 PM
EGBigelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
I agree with @subgrade. The components on the Marlin 5 are low end, and I wish Trek wouldn't even use Tourney components. Most WalMart style bikes use better components than that nowadays, for less money.

If you can get the seller to $350, that's another story. I think it would be a great bike for what you want to use it for. It's not up to par with a true mountain bike, but it will get you started. And who knows, you may want to end up trying some more aggressive trails and eventually sell the Marlin and get the next level up.
Old 06-07-19, 04:57 AM
johjo

Bikes: Bianchi Lucca

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Interesting. I will meet the seller and do a test ride this morning. If I like the comfort and ride and want it enough to justify, I'll offer less $, as respectfully as possible, and be prepared to walk away. If she gets a full price offer from someone else, blessings upon all involved, and if not, maybe she will call me back in a week or so. I'm quite the novice and know nothing about components, etc. But there are lots of mtb bikers in my area , A good used bike shouldn't be hard to come by once I know what to look for. This area JD park Camp Murphy is very popular and I'd like to try it. Owahee Trail has been one of my favorite places to go, so yeah, green trails are do able on my current bike.
Old 06-07-19, 09:57 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
From what I have gathered from people whom mountain bike, the Marlin is not really a mountain bike, even though Trek advertises it to be. I've been told that it's more of a hybrid style bike due to it's geometry. So for the types of gravel rides and such you are talking about, this should work.

The Tourney is not that bad for what it is made for. My daughters bike has it on and it works well for the 7 speed cassette. I also see many bikers whom have this on their bikes on the C&O and other trails. It won't keep you from biking and having fun. IF it's something you like, then it's well worth the money

Getting it down to $350 would just make it that much more nice to bike on.

Last edited by travbikeman; 06-07-19 at 10:01 AM.
Old 06-07-19, 11:46 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
A popular seller in our little town , maybe not good enough if you will be competing for MTB races,

but few do that here..