Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

LBS Love

Old 08-17-19, 04:45 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,876 Times in 4,639 Posts
LBS Love

I visited my closest LBS this week. Since I have to drive a ways to get there, they did the work while I ran errands in the city - which saved me from a trip back there to pick up the bike. Installed new tubeless tires, new valve cores, new chain, swapped in a new stem to tweak my fit (pulled a stem from the parts bin, no charge, and of course gave me back my old stem), and adjusted and checked a few other things.

They charged me for the tires and chain, and a few bucks for sealant. Nothing for labor. When I objected, I got in return a nice smile and the explanation “You bought the bike from us, and you’re still within the ‘free adjustment’ period.”

Just wanted to throw this out there as a counterpoint to all of the complaints about bike shops. I’ve had some bad experiences, too...But they’re not all bad.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 08-17-19, 07:34 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
I've had ups and downs in Atlanta. If I can't do it myself, I go to FreeFlite in Sandy Springs (Ga). Both times, years apart, they took my basic, tired, old bike and gave it the same loving care as the amazing new road miracles I see them selling the well-to-do's. Last time the manager patiently walked me through a tech info session, complete with advice and stories chock full of examples to "take home"....

I originally went to them on the advice of a triatholon co-worker, who said "they are more interested in getting you on the road, than making a buck!"

My kind of people....
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 08-17-19, 07:36 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
I am fortunate that I have a couple of bike shops nearby that I do business with. I now do most of the work on my bikes, buy most things online, but I use the shops when I need something now, or when I do not have the tools, knowledge or time for what needs done. I also stop in occasionally to see what is on hand and what specials might be taking place.
Old 08-17-19, 07:36 AM
sfh

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Good call. I think we've all had good and bad experiences at bike shops.

Having recently moved, I've been exploring a few bike shops in and around Boston. The first shop I entered I didn't feel a good fit for me, so I just politely left rather than forcing the shop to adapt to me. I think it's better for everyone. I found a friendly and effective shop near the house. They have a skilled mechanic even though I don't care for the bikes they sell. First time I went in was because I couldn't get the pedals off of a bike. The guy stopped what he was doing, removed the pedals, and didn't charge me anything. I left him $5 for his 30 seconds of work (which was really a few minutes away from the bike he was working on). And I'm fine taking our bikes there when they need work.
Old 08-17-19, 09:24 AM
DanBell

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
The bummer of the whole business is that I used to have a great shop much like that... then they went out of business. To be fair they were in a high rent area and I could not understand how they could maintain their shop in that location, but since they closed I have not been able to find a shop with a similar level of service. Plenty of shops in my area, but none like that one.
Old 08-17-19, 05:12 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I had a similar experience a few weeks ago. A stick went into my spokes riding gravel and the wheel was out of true.

I brough the wheel back to ProWheelBuilder.com which is within an hour of my home here in the Atlanta suburbs. The owner invited me into his shop, replaced one of the spokes, trued the wheel and said, "Here you go."

When asked how much he said, "Nothing. The wheel is less than a year old."

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 08-17-19 at 05:30 PM.
Old 08-18-19, 02:42 AM
tim24k

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
I used to go two to deferent bike shops depending on the what I needed recumbent bikes or upright bike stuff. Both have new owners and a lot of changes that I don’t care for. I recently found a new small one man shop only a mile from house that is really great. Good quality work, fair prices, and he thinks like I do when it comes to bicycles. Just like every thing there are good ones and not so good ones and nothing stays the same. Thank goodness we have he freedom to choose in this country..
Old 08-18-19, 06:41 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 691 Times in 431 Posts
I've had great experiences also. Several of us were on a leisurely ride and one of the riders (82 years young) had a straddle brake cable(think that's the term) break on his older hybrid. We went to one of the local shops. They not only fixed it on the spot, but found his threaded headset was out of adjustment, and adjusted that also. The charge was very reasonable and we weren't in there all that long. When he recently went to buy a new hybrid, guess who he bought it from!!
Old 08-18-19, 08:07 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 916 Times in 535 Posts
The (what I would consider) best small shop in my area closed about 6 months ago. I really miss it. The service and work was professional, quick and reasonably priced. The owner always had time to talk. I was truly sorry to see them close.

The larger shops near me are a little more impersonal and cold. I do know of a couple other smaller shops that I'm going to have to check out. They may be 5-10 miles away but that's nothing for great service if I can find it.