Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

E-bikes allowed on NPS trails

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 09-04-19, 08:42 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/217777700

It was was bound to happen sooner or later. Only a temporary measure, but it looks as though places like the C&O Canal Towpath will no longer be limited to bikes, pedestrians and horses. Not likely to see an increase in long distance touring, but e-bike day riders will surely proliferate in places where they were previously banned.
Old 09-04-19, 09:09 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,288 Times in 7,227 Posts
"In making the announcement, the NPS touted the environmental effects of the new policy, saying the e-bikes can reduce greenhouse gas emissions when used as an alternative to cars and motorcycles and improve poor air quality at national parks by reducing traffic congestion."

Wut. We are talking about trails that are not open to cars and motorcycles. Is the suggestion here that park visitors with e-bikes will use them instead of motor vehicles to get to trailheads?

BTW...PA state parks have this same rule. If it's open to bikes it open to e-bikes. I noticed a few on the Lehigh Gorge Trail, which is a 20+ mile rail trail.
Old 09-04-19, 10:22 AM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
...but e-bike day riders will surely proliferate in places where they were previously banned.
Do you really think so? This really just brings national parks into alignment with most other areas I've traveled, and I'd be surprised if there were hoards of e-bike riders in the area holding themselves back from riding on the canal trail because of the previous rule. I just rode from Pittsburgh to DC this spring. The GAP section, I assume, had no ban on ebikes, but if there were any ebikes sharing the trail with me over the course of the week, I didn't notice them.
Last fall I rode the Katy Trail, or part of it at least, and I did see a few ebikes. They were touring the trail as well, not "day riders," if that matters. One of them was one of my traveling companions, my uncle who had ridden the GAP with us the year before, but found it very taxing given his age and some recent heart issues. And then there was a father/daughter pair who stayed at many of the same places as us along the way. They both appeared to have reached retirement age, at least the father had. I only noticed they had ebikes because we shared a shuttle with them. Rode a stretch of the Erie Canal trail last month again with my uncle on his ebike. I didn't notice another ebike the entire trip, although we did run into one cyclist going the other way who stopped to grouse about a group of "cheaters on ebikes" he had passed earlier in the day. Why it ruffled his feathers how someone else traveled, I don't know. Why he had to share his displeasure with my 70 year old uncle who would not be able to travel with us if not for his ebike, I really don't know.

I ride all the time on trails where ebikes are perfectly legal, and I still hardly ever see them. When I so see them, I don't see how they are using the trail any differently than any other bike rider. Trail impact seems the same as another bike, so this makes sense to me. It also makes sense, if you want public support for these spaces, to make them as open to as much of the public as reasonable.
Old 09-04-19, 11:04 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Rob_E
The GAP section, I assume, had no ban on ebikes,
After I posted above I looked up the rules re: the GAP as I will be riding it (not on an e-bike) starting this weekend. Here are the rules:

Section B: Motorized forms of transportation are not allowed, with the following exceptions:
1. Maintenance and other purposes designated by regional and local trail groups;
2. motorized wheelchairs;
3. bicycles with an electric assist system; and
4. emergency and police vehicles

Bicycles with an Electric Assist System are considered to be any unicycle, bicycle, tricycle, or
quadracycle with an electric motor not exceeding 750 watts of power, a maximum weight of 100
pounds, pedal-assist, and top-speed utilized not in excess of 15 miles per hour, or less if
otherwise noted.*

*This definition is in compliance with the Consumer Product Safety Commission Public Law 107–319, 116 Stat., Act
2776 and the Federal Highway Administration Title 23, United States Code 217.
Old 09-04-19, 11:10 AM
alan s 

I didn’t see any e-bike tourers last weekend on the C&O, but did see several e-bikes out for a day trip. Older folks. Same on the Katy Trail last spring. A couple grey haired people zipping along. Last year I met a couple camping on the C&O, a man on a bike and a woman on a fat e-bike that had broken down. Wished them luck in getting it repaired as I rode on.
Old 09-04-19, 11:12 AM
Rob_E

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Bicycles with an Electric Assist System are considered to be any unicycle, bicycle, tricycle, or
quadracycle with an electric motor not exceeding 750 watts of power, a maximum weight of 100
pounds, pedal-assist, and top-speed utilized not in excess of 15 miles per hour, or less if
otherwise noted.*
Yep, that's pretty standard and pretty much the same definition the National Parks Service is going to use. Although the 15mph limit is interesting given that I think most of us can get our human-powered bikes moving faster than that. In my state, a bike like that does not meet the state definition of "motorized vehicle" so it can go pretty much anywhere a bike can go. If you exceed that wattage, then I think you're in moped territory and have a lot of other rules and restrictions.
Old 09-04-19, 11:28 AM
indyfabz

Although the 15mph limit is interesting given that I think most of us can get our human-powered bikes moving faster than that.
That's the official speed limit on the GAP. Assuming they added that verbiage to make it abundantly clear that just because you can more easily exceed that on an e-bike doesn't mean you are allowed to. I am sure I was guilty of speeding the first time I rode it, at least when descending into Cumberland.
Old 09-04-19, 12:13 PM
Rob_E

That's the official speed limit on the GAP. Assuming they added that verbiage to make it abundantly clear that just because you can more easily exceed that on an e-bike doesn't mean you are allowed to. I am sure I was guilty of speeding the first time I rode it, at least when descending into Cumberland.
That makes sense if what they're saying is that ebikes are meant to obey the speed limit, and I gather that is what they're saying since it says "utilized speed." It's just a rather roundabout way to say that and makes it sound like they might define an ebike as being capped at 15mph. Some ebike restrictions do mention that the electric assist cannot be used over a certain speed, but generally they don't restrict the bikes from going faster than the top assisted speed. But speed limits remain the same whether you have, use, or do not have an electric assist.

But, yeah, descending into Cumberland, my speeds were likely determined by how fast I felt was safe, not by any awareness of my current speed and the existing speed limits. Still probably didn't exceed 15 mph on a fully loaded bike, but I probably would have if travelling without gear.
Old 09-04-19, 12:13 PM
edthesped

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
We definitely saw e-bikes on the GAP and C&O when we rode last month. As one who has a spouse that struggles to keep up with me I'd love to get her on an e-bike.
Old 09-04-19, 12:23 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
I'm all for more bicycles being out there. Even the ones that have some power beyond mere crankset power.

Just so long as passing speeds are reasonable, and so long as folks don't put others in danger. At which point, I fully expect such folks to be just as accountable as anyone else putting others at risk with close and/or overly-fast operation for the conditions.

Good step. At some point, it was bound to happen, simply given the trends in bike sales.
Old 09-04-19, 12:29 PM
indyfabz

But, yeah, descending into Cumberland, my speeds were likely determined by how fast I felt was safe, not by any awareness of my current speed and the existing speed limits. Still probably didn't exceed 15 mph on a fully loaded bike, but I probably would have if travelling without gear.
I dialed it back after I hit a ballast stone that had rolled off the active rail line and nearly wiped out.

I am interested to feel what it's like to ascend to the divide from Cumberland. The ruling grade for the entire trail is only 1.5%, but the climb is a bit of distance. I did the 14.5 mile Route of the Hiawatha Trail fully loaded west to east back in June. That's the uphill direction. RWGPS showed grades in the 3% range. The surface is rougher than the GAP. Much rougher in places. Many (if not most) people ride it the other way and catch a shuttle back.
Old 09-04-19, 12:39 PM
alan s 

The GAP from Cumberland to the continental divide is in great shape and is even paved outside Cumberland. Much easier ride than a few years ago. Still an uphill grind, but it’s only 25 miles. I rode down that stretch this year, but another time, my average speed fully loaded was about 12 mph uphill.
Old 09-04-19, 12:44 PM
Rob_E

I am interested to feel what it's like to ascend to the divide from Cumberland. The ruling grade for the entire trail is only 1.5%, but the climb is a bit of distance. I did the 14.5 mile Route of the Hiawatha Trail fully loaded west to east back in June. That's the uphill direction. RWGPS showed grades in the 3% range. The surface is rougher than the GAP. Much rougher in places. Many (if not most) people ride it the other way and catch a shuttle back.
I'm curious about that as well. I've ridden the GAP 3 times now, and always starting in Pittsburgh. I don't mind the gentle climb to the divide in that direction. I might not hate it going the other direction without much gear, but I feel like going with all my camping gear uphill from Cumberland for 20+ miles would get old pretty quickly. Still might have to try it some day.
Old 09-06-19, 05:53 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
See... IMO the real problem here, is that there are, at least, "two speeds" a bicyclists goes by, Level road, and up a hill, then there is into the wind, and with the wind. BUT, for now, The real "problem" with speed limits and power levels on E-Bikes is, IMO ... Is, it doesn't take into account up-hill speed... Yes, the "legal" assist may cut out at 28MPH, but if the E-Motor is more than lets say 500 watts, (with a throttle and no need to pedal) it can also keep the speed up to, at lets say 28MPH going up a hill... NOT a bicycle, IMO...
Likes For 350htrr:
Old 09-07-19, 06:25 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Only allowed on trails that currently allow bikes.
Old 09-07-19, 07:02 AM
staehpj1

Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
I have mixed feelings. I think how good or bad it is depends on how well they maintain and police the definition of what an eBike is. If we wind up with folks using what are essentially motor bikes either by just using real eBikes in throttle mode or cheating and passing off things that actually don't meet the stated definition of an eBike then it could be a bad thing.

If it just gets more folks riding who couldn't otherwise, or allows them to be able to haul themselves or themselves and their young kids up the hills, it will be a good thing.

As far as whether there will be hoards of them... In some places yes probably, because there will be rentals available very close by. After all some places there are currently lots of bikes because of bike rental places. Not sure if this new ruling applies to the Virginia Creeper National Trail, but I can imagine hundreds of rental eBikes there if allowed.

It might even get a few cars off the road by having some people ride their eBikes to the parks. I can see that happening frequently in parks in or near metro areas like the C&O towpath, especially the sections closer to Washington DC, Frederick, Hagerstown, and Cumberland.

Last edited by staehpj1; 09-07-19 at 07:33 AM.
Old 09-07-19, 07:35 AM
staehpj1

Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
Only allowed on trails that currently allow bikes.
Thankfully! I'd have been dead set against it otherwise.
Old 09-07-19, 01:01 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
In my state the bike industry and bike federation see more dollars to their organizations with a larger population of users, even if it is a safety problem, so it will probably be only a matter of time before some pedestrians are killed in my area. So far many of the e-bikers are following the city ordinances and staying on roads - or not using the motors when on bike paths. Some of the e-bikers that are illegally using the trail systems in my community are riding them as if they were in a motorcycle race. Sometimes they ride the ones that have to be pedaled to energize the motor, sometimes not.

A lot of the e-bikes out there have had custom chips installed to override some of the speed limiters etc. Two months ago I was touring on PEI, I was going down a bike trail (their Confederation trail system is very nice and well maintained). It was raining and windy, so there was a lot of the wind noise in the trees, lots of rain noise on my helmet cover, and of course the tire rolling over gravel noise from my bike. So with the background noise I did not hear the e-bike approach behind me that was going at least 40 mph as it passed me on the trail, I was probably doing about 12 mph at the time. Scared the crap out of me as it suddenly was only inches to my side and flew by as fast as the cars and trucks on the highways that I was trying to avoid by using the bike trail to ride from Charlottetown to the Confederation Bridge that day. I took the photo below on that trail that day.

Old 09-07-19, 03:17 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
In my state the bike industry and bike federation see more dollars to their organizations with a larger population of users, even if it is a safety problem, so it will probably be only a matter of time before some pedestrians are killed in my area. So far many of the e-bikers are following the city ordinances and staying on roads - or not using the motors when on bike paths. Some of the e-bikers that are illegally using the trail systems in my community are riding them as if they were in a motorcycle race. Sometimes they ride the ones that have to be pedaled to energize the motor, sometimes not.

A lot of the e-bikes out there have had custom chips installed to override some of the speed limiters etc. Two months ago I was touring on PEI, I was going down a bike trail (their Confederation trail system is very nice and well maintained). It was raining and windy, so there was a lot of the wind noise in the trees, lots of rain noise on my helmet cover, and of course the tire rolling over gravel noise from my bike. So with the background noise I did not hear the e-bike approach behind me that was going at least 40 mph as it passed me on the trail, I was probably doing about 12 mph at the time. Scared the crap out of me as it suddenly was only inches to my side and flew by as fast as the cars and trucks on the highways that I was trying to avoid by using the bike trail to ride from Charlottetown to the Confederation Bridge that day. I took the photo below on that trail that day.

That's a bummer when that happens as it can really upset your tranquility. However, it was very fortunate that you did not into his line of travel just as he went to pass you. That could have resulted in some serious injuries to you. I still think that E-bikes should be banned from multiuse paths because of the speed and quietness of even a normal E-bike.

Glad I am that you weren't hit.

Cheers
Old 09-07-19, 03:28 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by 350htrr
See... IMO the real problem here, is that there are, at least, "two speeds" a bicyclists goes by, Level road, and up a hill, then there is into the wind, and with the wind. BUT, for now, The real "problem" with speed limits and power levels on E-Bikes is, IMO ... Is, it doesn't take into account up-hill speed... Yes, the "legal" assist may cut out at 28MPH, but if the E-Motor is more than lets say 500 watts, (with a throttle and no need to pedal) it can also keep the speed up to, at lets say 28MPH going up a hill... NOT a bicycle, IMO...
Agree with most of what you said. In my opinion far too many E-bikes are ridden as if they were electric motorcycles. I see them the odd time running through a park here in town that I ride through to get to another main road. Even though the E-bikes I see there have pedals on them the pedals are NOT in use and the E-bike is being ridden at a high rate of speed. I shudder to think what's going to happen when their luck runs out and they hit some kid or some stroller with kids in it because the E-bike rider is riding at too fast a speed to be able to stop when someone comes around a blind corner or something.

Cheers
Old 09-07-19, 03:39 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
I get the desire to accommodate riders whose physical limitations have them on pedal assisted motorcycles, yet it’s opening a huge can of worms to allow them off road or off pavement. Trouble is there’s a fine line between riding on a gravel rail trail that heads down a dirt double track that turns into a single track, etc..... and I really think motor assisted cycles have no place on designated mt. bike trails.

Biggest issue is it’s really hard to tell when a motor assisted is a pedal only assist or one equipped with a throttle and as far as I know, the throttle models have significantly more horse power and as result can do more damage to trails.

And I've seen this at a local park that has an extensive mt. bike trail system, having seen throttle controlled e-bikes on the trails. When I see mud racing stripes up a riders butt and back, I know they are gunning it and doing damage that a pedal only mt. bike isn’t going to do.

And who’s around to enforce it ?, nobody really. Thus it’s going to be a problem that is easily resolved in parts by adopting a rule that ANY cycle with a motor has no place on bicycle only trails.
Old 09-07-19, 07:20 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
I get the desire to accommodate riders whose physical limitations have them on pedal assisted motorcycles, yet it’s opening a huge can of worms to allow them off road or off pavement. Trouble is there’s a fine line between riding on a gravel rail trail that heads down a dirt double track that turns into a single track, etc..... and I really think motor assisted cycles have no place on designated mt. bike trails.

Biggest issue is it’s really hard to tell when a motor assisted is a pedal only assist or one equipped with a throttle and as far as I know, the throttle models have significantly more horse power and as result can do more damage to trails.

And I've seen this at a local park that has an extensive mt. bike trail system, having seen throttle controlled e-bikes on the trails. When I see mud racing stripes up a riders butt and back, I know they are gunning it and doing damage that a pedal only mt. bike isn’t going to do.

And who’s around to enforce it ?, nobody really. Thus it’s going to be a problem that is easily resolved in parts by adopting a rule that ANY cycle with a motor has no place on bicycle only trails.
Really... ??? I find it quite easy to tell.. If the person is not pedaling, he/she is not riding a bicycle, IMO, it really IS that simple...

There, is the real "problem" IMO I am actually, 100% behind allowing E-Assist bicycles to be legally a bicycle... BUT,I am find it really hard to swallow that using a throttle, and just because it Looks like a bicycle is going to be considered the same as a bicycle, IT IS A FAIL, in the end I fear all, E-Assist bicycle will become relegated to "moped" status... and.. that is going to end up as a dis-service to all bicyclist's… IMO

At least to the one's who want to get into cycling and need a bit of assistance or even the ones who want to keep on cycling but need a bit of assistance....

Last edited by 350htrr; 09-07-19 at 07:40 PM.
Old 09-07-19, 08:03 PM
indyfabz

Climbing from Cumberland to the divide into a stiff wind with a full load is trying. Ask me how I know. Saw no e-bikes today. Enjoying a cold one by a 🔥 in Rockwood.
Old 09-07-19, 09:19 PM
alan s 

Climbing from Cumberland to the divide into a stiff wind with a full load is trying. Ask me how I know. Saw no e-bikes today. Enjoying a cold one by a 🔥 in Rockwood.
Time for a new train video.
Old 09-07-19, 10:42 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26247 Post(s)
Liked 10,229 Times in 7,098 Posts
The deaths of men over 65 using electric bikes on Dutch roads have caused the number of cycling fatalities in the country to surpass the people killed in cars.

Official figures from the Netherlands’ central bureau of statistics show a near doubling of deaths on electric bikes in the last 12 months, three-quarters of which involved men of 65 years or over.

In 2017, 206 cyclists were killed in the Netherlands, 17 more than in 2016 and the highest number in 10 years. The same year 201 people lost their lives in cars (30 fewer than the previous year).

A quarter of the cyclists were on e-bikes, which have an integrated electric motor to propel cycles to speeds of around 20mph.

As of 2017, approximately 294,000 e-bikes had been sold in the Netherlands. Sales in the UK have been lagging although recent market research suggests 62% of those have been sold to people over the age of 55.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...dutch-cyclists
...as more of these hit the road, especially the way they are being designed and marketed in the US, there's gonna be a pretty steep learning curve. Bicycle Darwinism.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.