Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

CAAD 9 Pic!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

CAAD 9 Pic!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-06, 06:47 PM
VT Biker

Bikes: Cannondale R700 (2005)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I actually ride with pride knowing my bike is Made in USA. I do not have a problem with the graphics at all, there may be a lot of C-Dale, but at least the Cannondale logo is decent looking. However I would find it interesting if Cannondale tried decorating the bikes with something similar to BMC, and perhaps abbreviating Cannondale to C-DALE in large lettering, in which only parts of the logo (but enought for you to know what it is) make it onto the frame.
Old 08-11-06, 06:50 AM
corny

Bikes: Cannondale R1000 Compact Drive '05

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it looks pretty fab - and here in the UK, Cannondales are pretty rare so am not against them publicising a bit!
Old 02-11-07, 01:55 PM
Benoît

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Survey

Originally Posted by 53-11_alltheway

So it does exist! I'm glad to see them continue the tradition. Next I'd like to see a fat tube scandium frame from them. Lets hope the development continues.
Hey, just a quick survey.Which color do you prefer?

Raw

Blue:
Old 02-11-07, 01:56 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
The first one, no question.
Old 02-11-07, 02:01 PM
El Diablo Rojo
Banned.

Bikes: Ridley Noah-Scott Addict-Orbea Ordu

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The nude one is pretty cool but when you see the blue one in person it just plain rocks.
Old 02-11-07, 02:19 PM
foomonkey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
blue
Old 02-11-07, 02:39 PM
cslone
Quarq shill

Bikes: 08 Felt F4, 05 Fuji Team SL, 08 Planet X Stealth, 10 Kona Jake the Snake, 03 Giant OCR flat bar.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Blue.
Old 02-11-07, 06:11 PM
jbhowat
@ Checkmate Cycling

Bikes: CAAD 8 - Ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
People seem to be saying otherwise, but they're wrong.

The top-tube is the same shape as on the CAAD8. Its semi-oval or triangular near the head tube and round near the seat tube.

The difference is that the cross-sectional area of that triangular shape is larger on the CAAD9 than the CAAD8.

The downtube and seat tube are both the same shape also, but they also have larger diameters at the BB shell. The CAAD8 doesn't have any tubes that are one shape in cross-section for the whole length. I get the feeling a lot of people think that.

The CAAD9 simply expands on what the previous CAAD frames did with those shapes by exaggerating them even more.

I really don't think it would be worth upgrading. The CAAD8 is still probably in the top 10-15 of torsional stiffness of all the bikes out there especially for the weight (CAAD9 isn't significantly lighter). Remember what frame was under the ass of pros like Simoni and Cunego (among others, especially in its earlier CAAD7 form)... taking them to victories just a couple years ago. I agree the CAAD9 is slightly more advanced, but the CAAD8 will always be the last frame developed by Cannondale to be a pure, top of the line racing machine. So while the CAAD9 still stacks up as great, I have a feeling that future generations of the CAAD line may not hold up to the standards (compared to top-of-the-line in their own day) that the 6, 7 and 8 did. Its no longer marketed or raced as top of the line.
Old 02-11-07, 06:28 PM
daytonian
elitist jerk

Bikes: CAAD9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Blue
Old 02-11-07, 06:29 PM
El Diablo Rojo
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jbhowat
People seem to be saying otherwise, but they're wrong.

The top-tube is the same shape as on the CAAD8. Its semi-oval or triangular near the head tube and round near the seat tube.

The difference is that the cross-sectional area of that triangular shape is larger on the CAAD9 than the CAAD8.

The downtube and seat tube are both the same shape also, but they also have larger diameters at the BB shell. The CAAD8 doesn't have any tubes that are one shape in cross-section for the whole length. I get the feeling a lot of people think that.

The CAAD9 simply expands on what the previous CAAD frames did with those shapes by exaggerating them even more.

I really don't think it would be worth upgrading. The CAAD8 is still probably in the top 10-15 of torsional stiffness of all the bikes out there especially for the weight (CAAD9 isn't significantly lighter). Remember what frame was under the ass of pros like Simoni and Cunego (among others, especially in its earlier CAAD7 form)... taking them to victories just a couple years ago. I agree the CAAD9 is slightly more advanced, but the CAAD8 will always be the last frame developed by Cannondale to be a pure, top of the line racing machine. So while the CAAD9 still stacks up as great, I have a feeling that future generations of the CAAD line may not hold up to the standards (compared to top-of-the-line in their own day) that the 6, 7 and 8 did. Its no longer marketed or raced as top of the line.
Considering that the CAAD9 is basically a stiffer version of the CAAD8 with the same geometry why do you think that?
Old 02-11-07, 08:02 PM
WCroadie

Bikes: 2010 Trek Madone 5.5 CAAD9

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So it does exist! I'm glad to see them continue the tradition. Next I'd like to see a fat tube scandium frame from them. Lets hope the development continues.
It exists alright, I picked up mine on friday. I will be replacing the wheels and gettting new cages, that's about it for now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
CAAD9.jpg (82.8 KB, 62 views)
Old 02-11-07, 08:10 PM
marcelinyc
R900Campagnolo

Bikes: track and road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
blue
Old 02-11-07, 10:51 PM
shabbasuraj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
gold
Old 02-11-07, 11:01 PM
jbhowat
@ Checkmate Cycling

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by El Diablo Rojo
Considering that the CAAD9 is basically a stiffer version of the CAAD8 with the same geometry why do you think that?
The key is compared to what is the "best" in their own day. Possibly the 9 could have been included in that, although I think the System 6 is probably better in every respect.

Point is, Cannondale once concentrated their R&D on creating an all-aluminum race frame that would be their flagship model.

Now... They don't, and while the CAAD8 was good enough that the next few generations will likely still be excellent compared to what's available at the time, I don't think MAJOR changes are going to be coming and in the years to come the CAAD line will fall to a true "mid-level" bike frame. Its no longer the flagship and while it has an excellent foundation to evolve forth from (admittedly the 9 is better than the 8 - I just don't think an upgrade would be worthwhile at this point) the research isn't going to be going into making the major changes that made the 6,7,and 8 pro-level race-winning frames. They may keep getting lighter and stiffer than the current CAAD8/9... but the rate of advancement will slow now that all aluminum isn't Cannondale's "thing" for their flagship race frame. If that makes any sense. My point wasn't about the CAAD9 so much as the hypothetical 10,11,12...
Old 02-12-07, 07:08 AM
El Diablo Rojo
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The key is compared to what is the "best" in their own day. Possibly the 9 could have been included in that, although I think the System 6 is probably better in every respect.

Point is, Cannondale once concentrated their R&D on creating an all-aluminum race frame that would be their flagship model.

Now... They don't, and while the CAAD8 was good enough that the next few generations will likely still be excellent compared to what's available at the time, I don't think MAJOR changes are going to be coming and in the years to come the CAAD line will fall to a true "mid-level" bike frame. Its no longer the flagship and while it has an excellent foundation to evolve forth from (admittedly the 9 is better than the 8 - I just don't think an upgrade would be worthwhile at this point) the research isn't going to be going into making the major changes that made the 6,7,and 8 pro-level race-winning frames. They may keep getting lighter and stiffer than the current CAAD8/9... but the rate of advancement will slow now that all aluminum isn't Cannondale's "thing" for their flagship race frame. If that makes any sense. My point wasn't about the CAAD9 so much as the hypothetical 10,11,12...

Yeah you've got a point, there is a possibility that C'dale has pushed the R&D on Al as far as they are going to go. The rumor mill has it that the next gen System 6 will a full CF frame. Next season I'll be on either a 9 or Six13, I'm so completely happy with performance of my 8 that for the foreseeable future these models will be all I'll need.
Old 02-12-07, 07:34 AM
jbhowat
@ Checkmate Cycling

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by El Diablo Rojo
I'm so completely happy with performance of my 8 that for the foreseeable future these models will be all I'll need.
Oh yeah, I'm with you there. I just think they will eventually fall off the curve of the "cutting edge." Not like anyone on these forums really NEEDS that cutting edge advantage probably anyway.
Old 02-12-07, 07:38 AM
PhatRoadie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh yeah, I'm with you there. I just think they will eventually fall off the curve of the "cutting edge." Not like anyone on these forums really NEEDS that cutting edge advantage probably anyway.
Speak for yourself. I need all the cutting edge i can get.