Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Newb question: Road bike for ruff roads.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-09, 07:04 PM
kwai chang

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm thinking about buying a road bike for exercise. I live on top of a mountain in east Tennessee. Some of the roads around me are good... but to get to the good roads I would have to ride roads that have some ruff pavement (at times very ruff). There is a lot of gravel on the side of the roads and it tends to make it's way on to the road.

I would like to have a road bike but I don't know if the skinny wheels and tires would last very long on the roads around my house. Will most quality road bikes handle roads like I described? Are there road bikes that will handle ruff roads and still ride like a road bike?

Thanks
Old 08-16-09, 07:08 PM
dsx724
Enthusiastic Goon

Bikes: Rolling on dubz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get a mountain bike. You will destroy the wheels and tires on any road bike and fall all the time. The ride quality will be horrible because of the lack of suspension.
Old 08-16-09, 07:11 PM
FR4NCH1SE

Bikes: 2009 GMC DENALI (walmart bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with the first response, you will have to get a mountain bike or else your tires will either puncture or break quickly. Road bikes are better for urban areas, tad suburban areas, rural not so much. Not enough asphalt, its ok thou, mountain bikes are just as fun, btw since you said it was for excercise, mountain bikes will give you a better workout. Because mountain bikes are usually heavier than road bikes and like you said you live in hilly area, going uphill with a mountain bike is like trying to carry a cow up some stairs. Good Luck in what you do.
Old 08-16-09, 07:13 PM
helmut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cross bike. Like this Giant TCX. Fits and rides like a road bike, has fatter knobby tires to handle rough roads.
Old 08-16-09, 07:15 PM
Tortuga!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by helmut
Cross bike. Like this Giant TCX. Fits and rides like a road bike, has fatter knobby tires to handle rough roads.
+1
Doesn't sound like anything a good cyclocross bike can't handle.

Last edited by Tortuga!; 08-16-09 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-16-09, 07:18 PM
heavyMetal
Travel light

Bikes: Davidson Stiletto, Pinarello Paris, Specialized StumpJumper Marathon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
or a cyclocross bike.
Old 08-16-09, 07:23 PM
icyclist 
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
Get a road bike! Specialized Roubaix, any model. Check it out.
Old 08-16-09, 07:24 PM
kwai chang

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by helmut

This look pretty cool. I didn't know such a thing existed. I really don't want a mountain bike with really big knobby tires, and I think that I would prefer the ridng position of a road bike. I would try to avoid most of the ruff stuff when I can, but sometimes it may be unavoidable. Are the wheels on crossbikes stronger than road bikes?
Old 08-16-09, 07:25 PM
ericm979

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The roads I ride are very bumpy and have rocks (and sometimes trees) on them. They're rideable with regular road bikes. The trick is to go around the rocks and trees, not over them. I even ride gravel roads on a road bike wth 23mm wide tires. It's only a problem is if the gravel is deep. Then it takes more skill to stay upright and more power to move.
Old 08-16-09, 07:29 PM
JacoKierkegaard
Fixed-gear roadie

Bikes: 2008 Masi Speciale Fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 for cross bike.
Old 08-16-09, 07:31 PM
wanders
going roundy round

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
cross bike.
Old 08-16-09, 07:54 PM
brian416
Roadie

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
if the roads are pavement, get some 32 or 36 spoke wheels, some 25 or 28c tires and you'll be all set.
Old 08-16-09, 08:23 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,997 Times in 4,456 Posts
Originally Posted by kwai chang
Are the wheels on crossbikes stronger than road bikes?
Yes, they are, but there are some road bikes that will accept larger tires, too. Also, touring bikes will work for rough ground.
If you did get a cyclocross bike, you can ride it in the dirt, on trails, etc., and you could keep a set of light tires/wheels on hand for faster road rides.
Old 08-16-09, 08:37 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Cyclocross bike
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 08-16-09, 09:50 PM
geneman
rider of small bicycles

Bikes: Cannondale

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Seriously with all these responses to get a mt bike or cross bike?

I ride dirt roads all the time on my road bike. 32 spoke open pros with mr tuffy tire liners and I rarely if ever get a flat. Never damaged a rim, never even put them out of true. I'm ~160 lbs. If the ride quality is really bad, just lower the tire pressure a little.

Keep in mind that going downhill is not nearly as fun as going uphill on dirt.
Old 08-17-09, 02:52 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 313 Posts
a road bike will be fine for what you've described. obviously if you get a race bike or ride on racing wheels it might be a problem but any aluminum or steel roadie will be fine if you get a decent wheelset (ie, no ultralight, low-spoke stuff).
Old 08-17-09, 05:50 AM
parabrand
Cyclojazzmathiopian

Bikes: 2012 SuperSix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where in East TN; I live in Knoxville and might be able to help. If you feel more comfortable shooting me a PM, then do it.
Old 08-17-09, 06:49 AM
Creakyknees
ride lots be safe

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I vacationed last summer in the Crossville area, did lots of riding on the gravel backroads up there. Fantastic riding! But yeah some of the "paved" roads are sketchy.

I used my 'cross bike, with 32c slick tires, pumped to about 80 psi. No problems, just be aware of traction on the loose stuff.

Many modern road bikes will not have sufficient frame clearance to fit a tire wider than 23 or maybe 25c. Plus, many of them come with wheels that have 24 or 20 spokes, which are light but less durable than a 32 or 36 spoke wheels.

Finally, consider your weight and riding style. If you're over ~180, you'll definitely want larger tires, even for regular road riding. Some riders just seem to "ride heavy" over bumps, which causes more wear and tear on wheels and tires.
Old 08-17-09, 09:31 AM
Phantoj
Certifiable Bike "Expert"

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
<rough>
Old 08-17-09, 12:09 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
The Schwalbe Marathon Speed Racer is good enough for what 90% of road bike riders are looking to do. Its comfortable and still fast enough for a long distance ride. If speed is important one can still switch back to 23cs.
Old 08-17-09, 12:45 PM
RFC

Bikes: many

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
My little cyclocross bike laughs and sneers at gravel and rough roads. The Vredestein Perfect Moiree 32mm tires are heavy but relatively bullet proof. Even with the additional rolling weight, the difference in averages on this bike and my road bikes is minor for solo road riding (1 mph).

Old 08-17-09, 01:27 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 365 Posts
Paris Roubaix is raced on road bikes. Numerous amateur races in the U.S. these days are raced on courses with dirt, and gravel roads using conventional road bikes.

You do not need a mountain bike, or even a cyclo cross bike to ride paved roads, just because the pavement may be a bit rough and have some gravel.

What bike you want really comes down to your riding goals and priorities. If comfort, and/or flat resistence are high priorities, get a frame (either road or cyclocross) that you can put some wide tires on, such as 28-32mm.

If you want to do fast road riding, get any mainstream road bike, although you might want to pick one that has clearence for 25mm tires ( most road bikes will take at least 25mm tires.)
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 08-17-09, 05:02 PM
kwai chang

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by parabrand
Where in East TN;

Sequatchie County, outside of Dunlap. It is about 20 miles northwest of Chattanooga and about 50 miles southwest of Crossville.

Thanks to everyone for your input.

Last edited by kwai chang; 08-17-09 at 05:06 PM.
Old 08-17-09, 05:10 PM
kwai chang

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Creakyknees
Finally, consider your weight and riding style. If you're over ~180, you'll definitely want larger tires, even for regular road riding. Some riders just seem to "ride heavy" over bumps, which causes more wear and tear on wheels and tires.
Yeah, I guess I am pretty heavy for this sport. I weigh around 190lbs. But that is 190lbs of twisted steel and sex appeal.
Old 08-17-09, 05:11 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
For Sheldon's sake, people! Where are people getting the idea that road bikes are made out of Belleek china? 32 spoke box rims and a decent 25 mm tire are all you need. That, and bend your elbows a little.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.