Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

What kind of shorts?

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

What kind of shorts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-10, 06:15 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
What kind of shorts?

So what kind of shorts do you recumbent riders wear?

I've been wearing some mountain bike baggies but I don't really see a need for the pad. I've found pockets to be pretty much useless too. I've dropped my keys and my cell phone more than once.

I did buy a real recumbent jersey that has pockets in the side and loked it so well that I ordered another.
Old 06-01-10, 07:11 PM
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I wear and enjoy Mt. Borah Recumbent Shorts with deep front pockets, a nice wicking mesh inner layer and adjustable elastic on the bottom of the legs.

Which jersey did you buy?
Old 06-01-10, 07:29 PM
Pupsocket
half fast

Bikes: Catrike Trail (fixed frame) tadpole trike recumbent

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll second the Mt. Borah shorts. I have one each of two styles - one has a zippered pocket on each side, the other adds a deep slash pocket to each side. They have a snug liner, no pad, and most importantly, leg drawstrings! The latter does two things: it keeps the legs from ballooning up around your hips, and keeps flying, stinging things out of sensitive areas.
Old 06-01-10, 07:53 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
I'll third the Mt. Borah shorts - the ones with the single zippered pocket on each side.
Old 06-02-10, 07:03 PM
kennytb
Musashi Rider

Bikes: Catbike 2010 / Bachetta - Café / Raleigh M80

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think crew shorts work well.

https://www.sewsporty.com/
Old 06-02-10, 07:13 PM
Retro Grouch 

Originally Posted by gcottay
Which jersey did you buy?
Jersey is Mt. Borah too. I really like it a lot - about the price that I expected to pay, wicks well, cool to wear and has a long zipper. I was afraid the side pockets might be bothersome but they aren't, even carrying my semi-bulky cell phone. As a bonus, it's also made in the USA. I didn't expect that.

Next time I do something that I want to celebrate I think I'll buy a pair of Mt. Borah shorts.
Old 06-02-10, 09:39 PM
mchell

Bikes: Rans Screamer, Catrike Expedition, Specialized Montain Bike, Cannondale Quick SL1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OP asked about shorts. I continue to ride in cycling shorts on both our Rans Screamer and on my Catrike. I find my shorts ( Cannondale and Pearl Izumi,) are comfortable and compatible with recumbent riding. I do not find them restrictive and the closed leg fitting insures adequate protection against stinging insects. I wear a waist band "purse" for my wallet, cell phone, etc. which is small, unobtrusive, but accessible. Mike
Old 06-02-10, 11:00 PM
Dchiefransom

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Since I had Performance shorts, I found that their chamois doesn't get in the way while riding. My Pearl Izumi shorts had a decent chamois, so that might be a problem. The one thing I did discover is not to wear cotton underwear under regular shorts. Find something wicking.
When I wear cargo shorts, keeping stuff in the cargo pockets has a lot of weight moving the legs of the shorts around while riding.
I had a zipper put on the right pocket of a cycling jersey, and stuff won't fall out of there.
Old 06-03-10, 09:10 AM
altozwei

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have two pair of baggy mountain bike shorts that preceded my purchase of my Catrike. I removed the chamois from each and have continued to wear them with no problems. They are comfortable and the inner lining prevents skin contact with unwanted pests. The pockets of one pair are deep enough to prevent any lost articles, while the other pair has one pocket that zips and one with a snap flap.
Old 06-03-10, 09:27 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I just wear plain old lycra running shorts.
Old 06-03-10, 04:58 PM
DatelessNerd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I'm planning to get off my bike for any length of time (dining, shopping, visiting friends), I wear the Mt. Borah shorts.

If I'm just riding for a workout, I wear AeroTech Designs spandex recumbent shorts. They only cost $19.95 each. That allowed me to buy several, and not have to do laundry as often.

https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/recumbent.htm#recumbent
Old 06-03-10, 05:06 PM
unixpro
Laid back bent rider

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gee, I just wear plain old gym shorts. No pads or zippers or anything -- just plain old sweat stuff. When I don't wear shorts, I'm usually wearing sweats. One of the advantages of the 'bent is that you don't have to wear 'cycling' clothes.
Old 06-03-10, 05:47 PM
gcottay

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by unixpro
Gee, I just wear plain old gym shorts. No pads or zippers or anything -- just plain old sweat stuff. When I don't wear shorts, I'm usually wearing sweats. One of the advantages of the 'bent is that you don't have to wear 'cycling' clothes.
While it's true that we bent riders don't need any specialized clothing, I've found that, especially in the summer, wicking material makes for increased comfort. Fortunately I'm married and not allowed to wear that gear to outdoor parties, but it really is comfortable.
Old 06-04-10, 09:46 AM
scrapser

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When people refer to the shorts they use, it would be helpful if they included the model. There are a half dozen Mt. Borah shorts on the website and none of the descriptions mention draw strings on the legs, so which ones have the draw strings?

Common sense is such a wonderful thing to use.
Old 06-04-10, 01:21 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Originally Posted by unixpro

It's a common fallacy that upright riders need special stuff. The lycra stuff is more functional, and padding is desirable for longer rides; but I've seen lots of cyclists riding in their neighborhoods or to the store in jeans and t-shirts.

Sweat stuff works if you don't get sweaty/sloppy. Once it's sweat-soaked, though, it is uncomfortable.
Old 06-04-10, 02:15 PM
Retro Grouch 

Originally Posted by scrapser
When people refer to the shorts they use, it would be helpful if they included the model. There are a half dozen Mt. Borah shorts on the website and none of the descriptions mention draw strings on the legs, so which ones have the draw strings?

Mt. Borah Beartooth Recumbent shorts. Two zippered pockets, adjustible shock cord leg and waist openings. $90.00 at Hostel Shoppe.
Mt. Borah Recumbent shorts. Two zippered side pockets, shock cord legs and draw cord waist openings. $60.00 at Hostel Shoppe.
Old 06-05-10, 08:03 AM
gcottay

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by scrapser

Courtesy also helps, friend. Muttering about common sense is not the best way to get people to do your work for you.

https://mtborah.com/index.asp?CompID=...&CategoryID=65

Durable 4-ply Tahoe nylon shell
- Hydrotech wicking mesh liner
- 7.5" YKK zippered side pockets
- Adjustable drawcord waist
- Adjustable shock cord leg openings
- 10.5" Inseam
- Precision Made in the USA
Old 06-08-10, 06:41 AM
BKXray

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Short rides I wear stretch jersey material shorts, $5 from Walmart. Longer or hotter rides, I wear spandex running shorts for the breathability and comfort. You don't want shorts that balloon up a lot, bad for modesty and a good way to catch bees!
Old 06-08-10, 07:49 AM
scrapser

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for providing the details folks and I apologize for being cranky.
Old 06-08-10, 08:15 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I totally agree with "unixpro". One of the advantages of bents is the fact that an expensive "kit" is totally unnecessary. I wear sweat shorts that I get at a sports store. They only cost about $15. BTW on cycling forums there are long and heated thread on what to wear. The people that swear you have to ride kitted out generally fall under the "stylin" group. Ride what you want---the cheaper the better--ride with what is comfortatble for you---dont be dictated to by others.
Old 06-08-10, 09:36 AM
scrapser

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My main concern is losing things out of my pockets or getting the breeze (or bugs) coming up my legs. I have never worn anything but regular clothes. On my DF bikes, old and new, I have always used a Brooks saddle which makes the need for padding and special clothing unnecessary (at least for me anyway). I like the freedom of not needing a special bike riding "uniform". The same goes for the shoes which is why I don't use clip pedals. I don't enjoy being locked into wearing special clothes. But zippered pockets with adjustable leggings is not a big deal. It's a necessity with a recumbent...plain and simple.
Old 06-08-10, 05:56 PM
Pupsocket
half fast

Bikes: Catrike Trail (fixed frame) tadpole trike recumbent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I try not to keep things in my Borah shorts pockets when riding, too much rattle-rattle-thunder-clatter. I do load them up when stopping at a store.

I keep thinking a bit of well-placed sewn-in velcro could easily modify cheap shorts so that they could be used for feet-first riding. That or some snaps.
Old 06-08-10, 09:40 PM
LWB_guy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear black Adidas plastic shorts. I learned to only put things in the pockets that I don't mind losing.
Old 06-09-10, 05:36 AM
Retro Grouch 

The big thing for me is stuff falling out of my pockets. I've dropped both my cell phone and my car keys a few times and I've only been riding recumbents for about 6 weeks. At least twice strangers riding behind me have picked up objects that I've dropped. This obviously isn't going to work long term.

Mrs. Grouch and I are planning a week long tour begining June 20. I don't like to carry a purse so I need a safe way to carry the "stuff" that I think that I need to carry. Last night I ordered 2 pair of Mt. Borah recumbent shorts based on the responders recommendations.
Old 06-09-10, 06:03 AM
BlazingPedals

If you have no (usable) pockets in your shorts or jersey/shirt, you can always use a hip pack. When on the bike, you rotate it around to the front and it becomes a belly pack. Very convenient place to store snacks! Don't use one in conjunction with a rear-pocketed jersey, though; the strap can work a camera, keys, wallet, etc, right up and out of a jersey pocket.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.