Search this Thread

Old 09-01-10, 06:21 PM
mireya75

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help please :]

Hi my name is Mireya and I am going away to college as a freshman. The college and town is huge on biking, so they recommend a hybrid.
Being a college student and wanting to save money I was wondering where should I go to buy a reasonably priced bike, especially when the biggest crime on campus is bike theft?
Any suggestions as to where I should look? I live in the riverside, ca area

Last edited by mireya75; 09-01-10 at 06:25 PM.
Old 09-01-10, 07:11 PM
acidrock23

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I was in college, I was riding my drop bar Free Spirit 1976 model (red white and blue!) home from the bookstore (extra weight on front wheels...), hit a pothole that bent the (10 year old...) front wheel and trashed the handlebars.

The LBS put some more hybridy handlebars on it (this was like 1988 or so?) and replace the wheel and I was good to go. It was my dad's old bike and lasted until a later, more gnarly accident. It was an interesting conversation piece, sort of a road bike w/ hybrid handlebars. I've always preferred riding upright to hunching over If there is a lot of bike theft, it's probably not worth it to go too over the top? If you can find a decent used bike that looks a bit weathered it's probably less likely to get ripped off?
Old 09-02-10, 07:03 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
For a college bike - I'd visit the nearest Target or Walmart for their offerings in 700C sized hybrid bikes - less likely to get stolen, and very functional.....

Check this Hybrid sig for many suggested models. You shouldn't have to go thru more than the first 30-40 strings.
Old 09-03-10, 09:12 AM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Moved to SoCal forum.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 09-03-10, 10:10 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
I would NOT EVEN waste money on a new bike from Walmart.
Where are you going to school? The best campus-bike is itself an anti-theft deterrent--get the ugliest, rustiest bike you can find that is still solid. Then spend almost as much money on a good lock.
Instead of bringing a new bike into such an environment, wait until you get there. If it is as much of a bike-campus as you've heard, they will almost certainly have a DIY bikeshop, or Co-op where you can get an undesirable, (but solid) bike cheaply.
Good luck and have fun!
Old 09-03-10, 10:33 AM
chefxian
5 Time Bike Path Champion

Bikes: BMC SLCO1, BMC RMO1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by calamarichris
I would NOT EVEN waste money on a new bike from Walmart.
Where are you going to school? The best campus-bike is itself an anti-theft deterrent--get the ugliest, rustiest bike you can find that is still solid. Then spend almost as much money on a good lock.
Instead of bringing a new bike into such an environment, wait until you get there. If it is as much of a bike-campus as you've heard, they will almost certainly have a DIY bikeshop, or Co-op where you can get an undesirable, (but solid) bike cheaply.
Good luck and have fun!

Bikes direct
Old 09-03-10, 11:59 AM
53-12

Bikes: Road: Basso, Bottecchia, KHS, Origin8, Mtn: KHS, Felt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check your college too. More of them seem to be getting into the recycling thing where they will take bikes left over the summer or donated, make sure they are in working order, and then give them to incoming students for the new year. The colleges here do that, and I believe there are others with similar programs.
Old 09-03-10, 12:33 PM
vertical bob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought my daughter a garage sale bike and spent many hours lovingly fixing it up and sent her off to UCSB where everyone seemingly rode a bike. It lasted a few months them someone tacoed the front wheel trying to steal it. Got a new wheel and that soon was gone along with the bike. Next I tried Van's Cycles in No Hollywood and got her another nice used bike that they had fixed up. Van's has a good selection for used bikes that they fix up and sell for under $100 I would reccomend them if you are in the area, they are on Vanowen in NH. A bit of advice, money is better spent on a good lock than on a good bike.
Old 09-03-10, 03:31 PM
Extort
Dagger Boy

Bikes: 1999 GT 5.0i mountain, 2004 Basso Reef road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
U Locks are good to lock your bike to a stationary object because they are harder to break or pick...
Cable locks are good for the deterrent value when they are wrapped through the wheels and frame.

Use both types of locks when you are in an area with high number of bike thefts...

You could pick up a new bike from BikesDirect for under $200, and helmet / locks / accessories will run you another $100... The accessories are important, so spend the money there and not on the bike itself...
Old 09-03-10, 03:58 PM
travelmama

Bikes: Kona Ute, Nishiki 4130, Trek 7000, K2 Mach 1.0, Novara Randonee, Schwinn Loop, K2 Zed 1.0, Schwinn Cream, Torker Boardwalk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Look in alleys and at yard sales. I had a beater that my father found in the alley while in college that lasted a while. When I was done, I put it back out in the same place where found and someone took it. Yard sales have plenty of beaters on the cheap that are college ready for all who are interested.
Old 09-03-10, 07:40 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Which school?
Old 09-05-10, 05:33 PM
Rip Van Winkle
Formerly Gordo Grande

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recommend buying a used mountain bike. You can get them cheap, they're bomb proof, they don't need as much maintenance, and not quite as attractive to bike thieves, because they don't have as much value as a collector's item, and they make lousy fixies. You can get old MTBs from the eighties or nineties for little or nothing. They're also very comfortable and can carry tons of cargo. Their biggest disadvantage is that they're slow, but you're probably just going to be cycling around campus or town. You can also buy thinner tires for them if you really want to go faster.

My daughter is going off to school soon, and I bought her a used Raleigh MTB. I think it will be perfect for her.
Old 09-05-10, 07:07 PM
agoodale

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mireya75
...The college and town is huge on biking, so they recommend a hybrid...especially when the biggest crime on campus is bike theft?
UCSB? If so, don't buy a new bike.
Old 09-05-10, 09:49 PM
mister

Bikes: Checkpoint SL 7.5, FX 4

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
There's Anthony's Cyclery on Canyon Crest near the Pick Up Stix. I've never been there, but the are affiliated with the Riverside Bike Club. Also, check out Cyclery USA on Magnolia near the Tyler Galleria. They have three shops; one in Riverside, one in Redlands and one in Rancho Cucamonga now. You can always check out Sport Chalet too. My personal favorite is USA Cyclery in Redlands. They just did a remodel and their service is always awesome.
Old 09-06-10, 01:13 PM
2intune

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You may want to give Craigslist a shot. If you have someone around who is reasonably knowledgeable about bikes, take her along. I'm sure you can find a serviceable bike at a price well within your budget, whatever that might be. A new bike will be a theft magnet.