Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Anybody commute in 3/4 length pants? (Not tights)

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-11, 11:55 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts

If you're in America, you might know them as knickers, but if you're in the UK, knickers are something entirely different.

I was never a fan of pants that came down to halfway between the knee and the foot, but my girlfriend got me a pair of fancy hiking ones. I've been using them on the bike. Being so short, they don't get caught in the chain and torn to shreds. They're a bit drafty, which is like air conditioning. I'm starting to like them, rode to work in mine, and they're just long enough not to raise any eyebrows.

Now I'm thinking about cutting the last couple of inches off another pair of pants I ride in ... I've already torn the right ankle to shreds in the chain ring.

Anybody else commuting in pants like these? I've seen retrogrouches in wool ones from time to time.

( That's not me. )
Old 05-11-11, 12:03 PM
AlmostGreenGuy
Intrepid Bicycle Commuter

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, Austro Daimler 'Ultima', 2012 Salsa Vaya, 2009 Trek 4300, Fyxation Eastside, State Matte Black 6, '97 Trek 930 SHX, '93 Specialized Rockhopper, 1990 Trek 950

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 34 Posts
Yep. I regularly wear Endura Humvee 3/4 knickers. They rock. I never bothered with the included chamois liner, as it is much thicker than I'd ever dream of using, but the knickers themselves are awesome. Lots of handy pockets, and they stretch in all the right places.

Old 05-11-11, 12:05 PM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
No.

I do, however, commute in somewhat slim-fitting (but not tight) knee-length climbing/yoga shorts. They're more of a 2/3 length - just below the kneecap.

For colder days, I sometimes wear my running pants (not tights), but the cuff flares enough to catch my bottle cage and chainring if not restrained.

Otherwise, gimme tights. I wear running tights (no chamois) 80% of the time when the temps are below 50F.
Old 05-11-11, 12:10 PM
truman
It's true, man.

Bikes: Cannondale T1000, Inbred SS 29er, Supercaliber 29er, Crescent Mark XX, Burley Rumba Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got a few pairs. One particular pair from Cloudveil has a nasty habit of getting the cuff hooked on a waterbottle or the bottle cage when I'm standing to climb, so the pairs that nip in at the cuff get preference.
Old 05-11-11, 12:39 PM
jdgesus 
sɹɐʇsɟoןןnɟsʇıbɟɯo

Bikes: fixed gear recumbent trike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yup, most days.
cooler mornings, i just use knee high socks. then fold em down for the ride home

edit: i have 1 pair swrve knickers and 2 pair O.R. knickers

next step is recumbent.

my bikes | bike blog | beer blog | work 1 | work 2
Old 05-11-11, 12:50 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
I'm partial to knickers that button or velcro or drawstring or otherwise cinch down at the knee (or wherever they stop). There are some way cooler knickers out there than what I have seen so far in this thread. The Endura example being the only exception. Being partial to doesn't mean I actually have any right now. The last knickers I owned were bib knickers for cross-country skiing. I don't ski. They were perfect for on the bike fun. Haven't seen anything like them in decades. If I were to get knickered again it would be in something classic styled, maybe a nice tweed. Perhaps a subtle Glen Plaid. Pleats and cuffs of course. Absolutely smashing for a sedate cruise to work on the Schwinn World Tourist with the North Road style handlebars.

H
Old 05-11-11, 12:58 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 1,439 Posts
I've been using tights through the winter, but I've seriously considered switching to knickers. I'd like to get a few pair in the $30 and under range if anyone has some suggestions.
Old 05-11-11, 01:25 PM
2wheelcommute

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostGreenGuy
Yep. I regularly wear Endura Humvee 3/4 knickers. They rock. I never bothered with the included chamois liner, as it is much thicker than I'd ever dream of using, but the knickers themselves are awesome. Lots of handy pockets, and they stretch in all the right places.
I have a pair of Novara knickers from REI that look more or less like that. They're my most comfortable thing to commute in.
Old 05-11-11, 01:37 PM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 29 Posts
I picked up a few pair of non-cycling specific knickers recently and I really like them, though they have just enough slack at the cuff to get caught on my down tube shifters.

I also knicker-ized a pair of black military BDU pants and took in the legs at the inside seam to make them more form fitting. They look very similar to the Endura pants, but they don't exactly breathe well...
Old 05-11-11, 03:50 PM
threecarjam

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wearing a pair of Rivendell MUSA-branded knickers right now - I like 'em. I own a few other brands as well (Chrome, OR Cyclewear, something else) that I've picked up on eBay on the cheap. The Rivs I like best, they dry fast if you ride in the rain, and have sewn-in reflective tape (may or may not actually be useful, but I feel better having it), and velcro cuffs so you can cinch them at the knee or wherever. Plus, at $60, they're the cheapest USA-made knickers I've found. And that's a big deal to me.
Old 05-11-11, 04:45 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I love knickers I use them everyday all year round.
Old 05-11-11, 05:30 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
I've been using tights through the winter, but I've seriously considered switching to knickers. I'd like to get a few pair in the $30 and under range if anyone has some suggestions.
So do I.
Old 05-11-11, 05:31 PM
Ember
Zoom!

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Collegiate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've taken to wearing capris since I got my new bike that doesn't have a chain guard like my other bikes did. The cuff is right around my widest part of my calf so it doesn't get caught on my bottle cages or the like. The fabric in the crotch is wearing from the saddle though, which is bizarre because none of my jeans have ever done this, and I wore basically one pair of jeans through all of the winter (I washed them frequently of course). I dunno *shrug*
Old 05-11-11, 06:03 PM
Mardmakarm

Bikes: Kona Sutra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, all the time with sport shorts.Because its easy to clean and super fast dry.If go for a longer ride i'll put cycling shorts inside it.
Old 05-11-11, 06:56 PM
monsterkidz
monster

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All I rock is 3/4 pants. I get them cheap at H&M or Old Navy. They serve there purpose well.
Old 05-11-11, 07:09 PM
cyclokitty 
Not safe for work

Bikes: KHS Town and Country 100 & Jamis Durango Femme 1.0

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I do! Terry's knickers I bought for 50% at Team Estragen several years ago. They are made from lightweight stretchy nylon, have a built in chamois liner (but I wear bike shorts because the chamois is a bit uncomfortable), and have wonderfully deep, zippered pockets that means I don't lose my keys or money. I wear them when the temp is below 20ºC but greater than 5ºC (but can wear tights under 5ºC). Very comfy and I don't have to worry about the hems getting chewed in the crank.
Old 05-11-11, 07:12 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
I take some of my older khakis and cut them to length just below the knee and then sew it up. In the winter I wear tights underneath for extra warmth. It is a great way to get lots of use of a pair of pants.
Old 05-11-11, 08:17 PM
____asdfghjkl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would like knickers. I like the bicyclefixation ones but they are spensy for me right now. They just end up looking like regular pants on me hah.
I might jsut end up making my own when I have free time.
Old 05-11-11, 11:14 PM
bored117 

Bikes: Lynskey R230 DA DI2 ENVE 3.4 SES, 6KU Fixie, Cheap Aluminum Slapstick Trainer only bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Winter time, I would be on bike specific clothes. Come spring time, etc... I am on my ... well sort o knickers. Kuhl Titan long shorts and Prana Blink knicker is what I am using for time being. Been eyeing on few more... This way, I don't have to carry extra clothes, and it works just fine for 30 miles round trip... (with proper seat... in my case B-17)
Old 05-12-11, 01:36 AM
rykard

Bikes: Scott Arapaho, Merida T1

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
cut off track suit bottoms, keep the knees warm and the shorts respectable
Old 05-12-11, 08:31 AM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 22 Posts
all i wear (on bikes) are 3/4 baggy "shorts".

endura "zyme" and "humvees" and fox "mutant". i've also got one pair of "gridlock" waterproof-breathable full-length pants, but those are only for rain + cold.

most of those purchases were made primarily based on price after not being sure what i wanted and finding good deals online. i'm happy with all of them.

my pants size would be a 32" waist. the endura shorts are snug in a medium, but the zyme shorts are a bit loose.
Old 05-12-11, 10:29 AM
hairlessbill
Daily Rider

Bikes: 89 Bridgestone MB-3, 93 Bridgestone RB-1,93 Bridgestone MB-1, 95 Klein Fervor, 02 BikeE AT, 06 Surly Cross-check, 8? Schwinn Frontier

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear my Endura Humvee shorts year round. The pockets are just about perfect and so handy. I also skip snapping in the liner shorts that came with them. I wear cycling shorts underneath them if I plan on riding during lunch or just boxer briefs if I am not. Add some tights for the winter.
1993BstoneRB1
2007IROSSBFGS
1986PanasonicDX4000
2014E-JOE
Old 05-12-11, 10:52 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I've got a couple of pairs of Endura Zyme knickers I wear from time to time when the temps are in the 50-65 range.

"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 05-12-11, 11:12 AM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12188 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 1,106 Posts
I burnt the heck out of my knees a couple summers ago. Started buying knickers and
I prefer them.

Regrettably I have some fairly expensive shorts and I feel I ought to use them up.
Old 05-12-11, 11:46 AM
EKW in DC

Bikes: Trek 830 Mountain Track Drop bar conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have some old khakis I've thought about cutting to be something knicker-like for when it gets cold again. I normally wear some type of knee length baggy shots over base layer tights in the winter, but I think repurposing some of my old pants for this would be good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.