Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Hooking onto team pace lines

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-11, 10:12 AM
Daves_Not_Here
On your right

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Pardon me if this newbie question has already been asked and answered, but I could not find it by searching and browsing.

When riding solo, I will occasionally be passed by a pace-line and I'll speed up to hook on the back. If it's a recreational ad-hoc group with non-matching jerseys, I'll then ask if its OK to join in, and so far I've been welcomed. I'll then either participate in the rotation or drop if I can't maintain the pace.

The question I have is whether it is generally frowned up to do this with a team or club paceline (with matching jerseys), particularly if they are hammering. If the group is riding at a conversational pace, then it doesn't feel like my asking a question is an imposition and I've been welcomed as above. On the other hand, if everyone is breathing hard near threshold, then I don't think they appreciate having some random self-invitation shouted from a stranger in the back, so I don't say anything.

I've typically held back at least 3 ft off the last wheel for while and then dropped when the leader pulls out; however, it occurs to me that even this may be too intrusive.

So the question is should I generally avoid hooking onto team pacelines? And the follow-up question is whether the answer changes if I'm touring out on the open road versus a circuit like El Dorado.

Reason I ask the follow-up question is that I was out on the road west of Ojai and the attitude was hey if you can hang with us and the olympian pulling this thing then feel free.
Old 08-04-11, 10:15 AM
Blackdays
Boom.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Uh, don't do it.
Old 08-04-11, 10:18 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You might find this enlightening.

Last edited by chasm54; 08-04-11 at 10:21 AM.
Old 08-04-11, 10:24 AM
withsriracha

Bikes: CAAD10, Specialized Dolce

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
People invite themselves into my team's paceline pretty frequently. I'm always baffled, because, I wouldn't join up with a random group of people walking down the street as a group....
Old 08-04-11, 10:33 AM
jdon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Not appropriate with a team.
Old 08-04-11, 10:42 AM
ancker
W**** B*

Bikes: Several

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I probably wouldn't do it myself. (Not that I'd have the opportunity since I'm on the only team in town.)
But I don't see what it can hurt to ask. Worst case, they say no. Best case you hang and they invite you to join the team.
Old 08-04-11, 10:47 AM
cmolway
on a road near you...

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if it's a team, and they are on a training ride, just say no. If you reeeeaaaaally want to join the fun, join the team.

If it's a club, out for a (open to the public) club ride, then it may not hurt to ask. It's all about common sense.
Old 08-04-11, 10:55 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Don't.

Just don't. Is it possible and acceptable? Sure...under the right circumstances, but there are a lot of nuances to explain therefore - no.

Riders on the limit in a line don't need the element of a random rider thrown in as another variable for them to dedicate lowered brain capacity to.

Old 08-04-11, 10:55 AM
DropDeadFred

Bikes: 2013 orca

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
I got all worked up reading that...lol
Old 08-04-11, 12:15 PM
Daves_Not_Here
On your right

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Elite

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool, thanks! Glad I asked. I think I've got it: "If the jerseys match, you must detach".

I will desist from this behavior going forward. Funny thing is that this is a situation where my getting yelled at would have been constructive. Or at least told, "hey man, not cool, please don't". I've probably done this 10 times without being shooed away. Maybe my not being too close helped. Or worse, maybe they didn't always see me and know I was there - even more reason to avoid.

Also, I wouldn't be too baffled as to why people do this, especially newbies like myself. Cycling is a fresh new experience for us and we can mistakenly assume that other cyclists are as glad to see and join us as we are them. Reminds me of the scene in Crocodile Dundee where Paul Hogan's character is walking down the street in New York City saying hello to everyone that passes by and they're looking at him like he's crazy.
Old 08-04-11, 12:29 PM
RacerOne
Hills hurt.. Couches kill

Bikes: 1991 Specialized Sirrus Triple, 2010 Trek Madone 6.5 Project One, 2012 Cannondale Caad10, 2013 Trek Crockett

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You've got a head on your shoulders, I'm sure most groups would be happy to have you join their club or team and start riding with them. However, I'm with the majority here, if we're out on a training ride all kitted up and hammering, we've got a purpose, and you wouldn't be a welcome part of it just hoping in.
Old 08-04-11, 01:29 PM
fly:yes/land:no
abandoning

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
you will look like this:

Old 08-04-11, 01:43 PM
androidtt

Bikes: Felt F1C

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kind of a threadjack... Hmm, I was on my morning ride today and saw two guys riding next to each other (Well, they pulled up to me at a stop sign with friendly faces; maybe it was my tri top). I thought they would go faster due to the whoosh wheels and gear they were wearing, so I let them go in front of me. They begin to ride at a 17-18mph pace, and I kind of got stuck behind them. Using BF etiquette, I hung behind their paceline about 15 feet so they didn't confuse me with being a leech. At the next stop light, they take up the entire front of the bike lane so... Hmmm... In the next 1/2 mile or so, I get a little anxious and pass them at 19-21mph and don't say anything while passing. If you guys were the two pair paceline, would this have been ok?
Old 08-04-11, 01:51 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

That would have been fine. Odds are though we would have made some snarky comment about your tri-top as you passed while admiring our muffin tops.

Old 08-04-11, 02:15 PM
DropDeadFred

Bikes: 2013 orca

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
who whoooooshes at 17-18mph...lame
Old 08-04-11, 02:33 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Daves_Not_Here
Also, I wouldn't be too baffled as to why people do this, especially newbies like myself. Cycling is a fresh new experience for us and we can mistakenly assume that other cyclists are as glad to see and join us as we are them. Reminds me of the scene in Crocodile Dundee where Paul Hogan's character is walking down the street in New York City saying hello to everyone that passes by and they're looking at him like he's crazy.
Great post.
Old 08-04-11, 02:40 PM
androidtt

Bikes: Felt F1C

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
That would have been fine. Odds are though we would have made some snarky comment about your tri-top as you passed while admiring our muffin tops.
Thought so... Haha. I'll wear my jersey when it's less than 100 degrees.

Originally Posted by DropDeadFred
who whoooooshes at 17-18mph...lame
One had the whoosh whoosh wheels. No whoosh whoosh sounds though. Really loud hubs though.
Old 08-04-11, 03:00 PM
kleinboogie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blackdays
Uh, don't do it.
+1
Old 08-05-11, 09:19 AM
triumph.1

Bikes: 12 Bianchi Oltre VDCM,11 Bianchi Cavaria, 13 Bianchi Cavaria,12 Bianchi infinito, couple vintage Bianchi's and a 1980 alan super record

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is it acceptable to hook into a pace line on an organized ride like a century? I am new to this and wonder the same things. I did hook up with a club on a charity ride, but I asked if it was ok. The other question I wonder about is if you hook in are you suppose to take a turn in lead?
Old 08-05-11, 10:21 AM
cmolway
on a road near you...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by triumph.1
Is it acceptable to hook into a pace line on an organized ride like a century? I am new to this and wonder the same things. I did hook up with a club on a charity ride, but I asked if it was ok. The other question I wonder about is if you hook in are you suppose to take a turn in lead?
it's always best to ask, even on a charity/organized ride. I got crashed out by a rider who joined my paceline on an organized ride last week. He didn't bother to mention the gaping pothole as he road millimeters by the edge of it, causing me to drop my wheel into it and crashing 20 miles into the ride. Needless to say I spent the rest of the ride (86 miles) off the front and riding by myself, dropping people who wanted to draft off of me. I caught up to and hooked onto a couple of pacelines, asking before sucking a wheel.

if you are a strong, smooth rider who is accustomed to pace-line riding and all it entails, then yes rotate to the front and take a pull (after you ask).

It helps if you have shaved legs and are wearing team kit though as opposed to looking like you bought your first road bike last week.
Old 08-05-11, 10:34 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by cmolway
it's always best to ask, even on a charity/organized ride. I got crashed out by a rider who joined my paceline on an organized ride last week. He didn't bother to mention the gaping pothole as he road millimeters by the edge of it, causing me to drop my wheel into it and crashing 20 miles into the ride. Needless to say I spent the rest of the ride (86 miles) off the front and riding by myself, dropping people who wanted to draft off of me. I caught up to and hooked onto a couple of pacelines, asking before sucking a wheel.

if you are a strong, smooth rider who is accustomed to pace-line riding and all it entails, then yes rotate to the front and take a pull (after you ask).

It helps if you have shaved legs and are wearing team kit though as opposed to looking like you bought your first road bike last week.
In general this statement makes me want to question why you were drafting/following someone so close if you were upset that they joined in without asking?

If the guy would have asked you probably would have said OK (obviously...because you still ended up taking his wheel even thought he didn't ask) and you still would have hit that pothole......

......so....is what point are you trying to make? That asking somehow would have magically made this rider a better rider, or that you're just pissed because you hi a pothole and have to blame someone?

Old 08-05-11, 11:28 AM
HokuLoa
Blissketeer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't w/ organized groups, teams. Even if you ask and they are nice and comply you as a NewB are not familiar with their habits and are a risk to their line. Consider also that w/ a social LBS "team" the riders often have to pay dues to ride/join which means you disrupt, add risk, AND leech. Usually not a big deal if you are a good rider and a potential member but it is somewhat of an imposition to say the least. If you truly are a NewB though then you are a risk and w/ competitive/pro riders mixed into the line it would be tragic if you hooked and then ended someones season w/ a bonehead mistake.

Best solutions: join a club and be a legit part of that paceline.
Old 08-05-11, 11:31 AM
DGlenday

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by triumph.1
Is it acceptable to hook into a pace line on an organized ride like a century?
I've done this on centuries, and on RAGBRAI. Or sometimes my paceline comes across another paceline, and the two join forces for a decent-sized fast-moving peleton.

And when riding (centuries/RAGBRAI etc.) solo, I've often picked up "passengers". These are riders whom I overtake, they like my pace, jump on my wheel, and shadow me. Why would I mind this? If I'm riding solo anyway, they do not drag me down in any way. I'll sometimes signal for them to come by and take a pull. If they can, good - we might get a paceline going. If they can't, well I was solo anyway so it makes no difference...

Back to the OP : I would not recommend it on open roads, though.
Old 08-05-11, 12:19 PM
HokuLoa
Blissketeer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DGlenday
I
And when riding (centuries/RAGBRAI etc.) solo, I've often picked up "passengers". These are riders whom I overtake, they like my pace, jump on my wheel, and shadow me. Why would I mind this? If I'm riding solo anyway, they do not drag me down in any way.
Not saying I don't "allow it" but that sentiment is challenged the first time a "passenger" spaces out and touches your rear wheel.
Old 08-05-11, 01:54 PM
BikeMech
I bike in the nude

Bikes: Custom. '02 trek 1000 with ultegra and dura ace components. Too much to list... Just ask me

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't do it. I will sometimes catch up with 1 or 2 riders on my way to the early morning group rides and i will follow them but i keep my distance. As for people joining up with me on a solo ride,i don't mind unless i'm out trying to train. If it's a casual ride then i don't mind unless you're sketchy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.