Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Joannou Model De Luxe trike

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-12, 05:41 PM
xxfree2romexx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Joannou Model De Luxe trike

Hello everyone!

I was cleaning out my grandmothers shed (hasn't been touched in 30 years scary lol!) and I came across this 3 wheeled bike. I washed it down a bit and replaced the tubes, as well as replaced the seat (the old one was foam and as soon as i touched it poofed to dust pretty much) I tried to google some info about it and have came up with nothing except it may have been made by Jamis and it was imported from italy and thats about it . I took some pics of it as i really dont know anything about bikes technically except you jump on and pedal hehe. If anyone can shed some light on this mysteroius 3 wheeled alien my grandmother wants to sell it and I have no clue where to start as far as spec's/prices. Well thank you for any help and sorry if I mumbled on!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bike.jpg (52.8 KB, 110 views)
bike-label.jpg (65.4 KB, 94 views)
bike-sticker.jpg (68.3 KB, 97 views)
bike-brake.jpg (65.3 KB, 97 views)
bike-seat.jpg (48.6 KB, 97 views)
bike-gear.jpg (33.6 KB, 97 views)
Old 01-20-12, 11:53 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
G, Joannou Cycle Co, Ltd, was founded during the late 1930s in Northvale, NJ. They manufactured and imported bicycles, parts and accessories. The imported bicycles came from a variety of sources and countries, including England, Italy and Japan, among others. This bicycle is older than the Jamis brand, which is just that, a brand. There is no Jamis manufacturing company, though Joannou does own the Jamis brand.

Given the high rise handlebars and derailleur gearing, I suspect this triike is very late 1960s or early 1970s. The serial number and brand and model of the derailleursd (pics please, if possible) may provide additional clues as to the vintage and country of origin.
Old 01-22-12, 01:43 PM
xxfree2romexx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks!

Thanks for the reply and info! Ill go out today and see if i can find anything on the derailers or a serial number of some sort. thank you again!
Old 10-29-12, 07:51 AM
charlesbaird

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, this looks like a dead thread. I'm here to resurrect it, Just like the Joannou bike that I have recently started restoring. I am having great difficulty finding ANYTHING on this bike. I'm hoping that stirring this pot will yield some great help. From as far as i can tell this bike is completely original, (maybe even the grease in the bearings) it has virtually no rust except for the underside of the seat. however someone crapily recovered the seat (original material was still there and was in almost perfect condition...) I have stripped the bike completely (frame & components are off to powder coat) im trying to source some bearing components, mainly headset bearings and caps/cups and top tube threaded nuts. any help will be greatly appreciated!!!
Old 01-06-16, 09:43 PM
xrayzebra 
Very Verbose Member

Bikes: Surly Troll, Commencal Meta Power 29 Signature, old Specialized Hard Rock electrified, several restomod Schwinns, Biria Easy Board, Worksman trike electrified

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
This won't help you, but it's an article that confirms Joannou became Jamis. It's an interview with Carine Joannou, president of Jamis Bicycles, about taking the helm of her father’s company and the rise of female cycling.

Bike company a family affair | Daily Record | dailyrecord.com
Old 06-15-18, 06:37 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Does anyone know what chain to use on these? Even a single speed chain is not wide enough to fit on the crank teeth. We are doing a vintage brown one right now.