Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Planning a city bike build

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Planning a city bike build

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-12, 09:42 PM
Syscrush

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd
I'm not sure who told you that. Your LBS could order one today as well as either the 5(w) thumb or bar end shifter.

I recently built a wheel for my mom's bike with the X-RF5 and also ordered the SA thumb shifter.
I called every bike shop I trust looking for a (W) hub, about a half-dozen of 'em. I found one with the old XRF5 on the shelf, and the others either couldn't get the (W) from their distributor at all, or it showed as being on back-order. UBS is saying they'll be available late spring sometime. I couldn't find a local or online source that had them available. I'll be waiting at least another week for my rims, if you know where I can get an X-RF5(W), I would really welcome any pointers.
Old 02-22-12, 09:51 PM
Syscrush

Originally Posted by Syscrush
Thanks very much for the suggestion.

After sending the builder some detail photos of the axle and lock washers in the dropouts, we've decided to go this route. Vertical dropouts can be made to work, but they should be deeper than these. Still haven't decided whether to stick with the adjustable vertical dropout, or fixed horizontal dropout. I'll post some pics once the new parts are fabbed up.
I made a pair of horizontal rear-facing dropouts today, from 3/16" mild steel. I dropped off everything I've got so far with the builder, who has ordered the front hub and crankset for me. Main thing I'm waiting on now is the rims, which should be here in a week, but there's no hard ETA.

Came home to find my PD-A530 pedals waiting for me. Kinda ugly but the combo pedals will be nice and functional. I'll always like clipless best, but it'll be a bit of a relief to be able to just use street shoes for short trips & commuting.
Old 02-22-12, 10:12 PM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I'll be waiting at least another week for my rims, if you know where I can get an X-RF5(W), I would really welcome any pointers.
36h rims? I sent a PM regarding the hub and shifter.
Old 02-22-12, 11:07 PM
Syscrush

Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd
36h rims? I sent a PM regarding the hub and shifter.
Yes. 36 in the rear to work with the XRF5, and 36 in the front to match the rear.
Old 02-23-12, 12:24 AM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
I admit that I was ready to roll my eyes after the first couple of posts. I was wrong, this is pretty cool. I'm really looking forward to the finished product. Good luck!

- I didn't know about that halo coating until this thread. That is pretty amazing, definitely going on my wish list.

- I think there is a lot of hot air when it comes to the major differences in comfort between a 25 and a 32 tire. Just the same as when people say that wide tires roll poorly.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 02-25-12, 11:48 AM
Syscrush

Originally Posted by Puget Pounder
Why wouldn't it fit? If that's what you measured, it should fit. Did you use a pair of calipers?
As it turned out, the 27.2 did fit fine, but it really needed a ream & hone first - there was some accumulated crap in the seat tube.
Old 02-25-12, 11:52 AM
Syscrush

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Yes, they do. Got some right here in my hand.
And it looks like those exact washers are now fitted to my bike. Dan's been conferring with me on what will & won't work for this build, and doing all of the real work., and it turns out that those washers work fine with the stock forged dropouts. Despite my best efforts under difficult circumstances to fab up the horizontal dropouts, the stock ones look about 100x better, so that's what we're going with. The main thing we're waiting on now is my special-order rims. I can't wait to have everything together and spiffed up for my inaugural ride!
Old 02-25-12, 03:45 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Thanks to the OP for bringing me on board for this project. Contrary to some opinions expressed, this frame is a great platform for this type of build. I've done a pretty fair number of gearhub conversions, and at this stage, I have every reason to expect that this one will turn out as good as any of them.
The frame is in great shape. The dropout alignment was spot on, as was the frame it'self.
I've left the original 126mm spacing as it is and added spacers to the hub to fit. This has the added benefit of bringing the flanges closer to center and reducing dish. I've also put serrated nuts on the axle to help keep the hub secured in the vertical drops.
As Syncrush said, the anti rotation washers I showed earlier are a perfect fit, and fully engage the dropouts.
I think you'll all appreciate the shift cable routing we're going with too. This build is going to be great.
Old 02-25-12, 04:47 PM
Syscrush

This build is going to be great.
That's today's installment of "stuff you love to hear from a mechanic".
Old 02-28-12, 01:02 PM
Syscrush

Looks like things are going together nicely, got some pics from Dan today:

I'm following this silver & black combo all over the bike, I like how it looks here with the crank and chain. Pedals are also black.

I don't care for threadless headsets on classic frames, so I went this way. Here's the simple quill stem with non-aero, non-ergo, non-fat handlebars and levers. Bar tape and cable housings will be black. Tektro levers incorporate quick-release, which is good because the Campy calipers don't.

Chic and shockingly light (to me) Campy rear caliper.

Dan has the chainline & frame spacing worked out perfectly. Looks like the rear wheel won't need much of a dish, which is nice.

Last edited by Syscrush; 02-28-12 at 03:22 PM.
Old 02-28-12, 01:04 PM
Syscrush

And a few more:

Teaser of the shift cable routing.

Campy caliper looks at home on that chrome Gios fork with a Campy headset as a neighbor. I must really be drinking the Kool-Aid now because I've gone from being disappointed that there's no quick-release to thinking that a QR on a caliper looks ugly. sigh... I'm such a ho.

Overall shot, starting to look like a bike!

Here you can see that the no-turn washer is engaging nicely in the vertical dropouts. Also, chain tension looks decent with the dropouts adjusted all the way forward, which is a good starting point.

I went with an SA front hub to match the rear hub & crankset.

Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires, 700c/25. What can I say? I know that they're heavy, but so am I and I hate fixing flats. Also, I've had mixed luck with Conti Gatorskins and I think that the grey sidewall here will look very good with the graphite/halo Deep V rims.

Really down to waiting for the rims & the hubbub now...

Last edited by Syscrush; 02-28-12 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02-28-12, 01:21 PM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
When was the Classic Trigger Shifter out of production?
When did they ever make a classic trigger shifter for a 5 speed?
Old 02-28-12, 02:42 PM
acoffin 

Bikes: 72 Lygie (SS conv), 87 Ironman Expert, 94 Allez Sport, 16 Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
subscribing.
Old 02-29-12, 01:59 AM
Barchettaman

Bikes: Focus trash find commuter, Eddy Merckx Corsa, BP Stealth TT bike, Leader 720 TT bike, Boardman Comp Hybrid drop bar conversion, Quantec CX budget cyclocross build, SerottaNOS frameset ready to build up!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 69 Posts
Looking very good, unique little project, this.
Old 02-29-12, 07:43 AM
Syscrush

Thanks folks.

I'm getting really stoked. The wait for the rims and the hubbub are killing me - no way to know when either will arrive.

In the meantime I'm doing spin classes 2-3x week to try to get a bit into shape so I'll be ready to put some miles on as soon as this sucker is ready to roll. The stationary bikes are boring as hell, but at least I don't get dropped!

I'm already planning updates to be done over next winter... I'll probably want to do fenders, and little touches like black chainring bolts. The main thing I'm thinking of, though, is a custom travel agent style of adapter to let me shift (either the current hub or an upgrade to the wide-range hub) with a nice modern ergo/STI brifter.
Old 02-29-12, 09:43 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
True, but I'm stuck with the hubbub because the new SA hubs - the (W) wide-range versions - are effectively not available. As noted earlier in the thread, I'm using the older version with a 225% range instead of the new (W) version with 256% range, and the older hubs have a different shifter pull than the new ones. So I'm stuck with the crappy plastic twist shifter.
For the Summit ball-locking five-speed hubs there's also the HSJ866 Orion shifter and the HSJ839 Nimbus shifter. These shifters will work with the earlier Sprinter single-cable five-speed hubs as well.

(Examples only - available from multiple sources - no connection with vendor)

Last edited by tcs; 02-29-12 at 09:58 AM.
Old 02-29-12, 10:08 AM
tcs
Palmer

I like to screw a cut off dome-head bolt into the derailleur mount. It increases the weight of the bike by some grams (horrors!) but serves to protect the threads - who knows in the decades to come how the frame might be repurposed?
Old 02-29-12, 11:25 AM
Syscrush

Originally Posted by tcs
I like to screw a cut off dome-head bolt into the derailleur mount. It increases the weight of the bike by some grams (horrors!) but serves to protect the threads - who knows in the decades to come how the frame might be repurposed?
That's an excellent idea, thanks for that and for the pointers on shifters. I have the twist-grip shifter in hand and the hubbub should arrive any day now so I'm going to stick with that for the first phase of this build.
Old 02-29-12, 01:01 PM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
I put a put a flashing LED in the hole, not that I think the threads need protection, but because it gives a finished look. It's a Simplex, so there are no threads anyway. The battery is behind the light and you switch it by turning it. It flashes red and green. I had fun with it for a while, but I've converted it back to gears.

Last edited by Grand Bois; 02-29-12 at 01:04 PM.
Old 02-29-12, 07:28 PM
Syscrush

Originally Posted by Grand Bois
I put a put a flashing LED in the hole
Shmancy!!!
Old 02-29-12, 07:32 PM
Syscrush

Today's deliveries...

A hubbub adapter to let me mount that ugly twist shifter at the end of my otherwise-nice drop bars, and some fancy Cinelli cable guides: basically grommets for where the rear brake cable enters and leaves the top tube.

I thought the frame was red when I ordered the guides, and now I have a feeling that the red guides are gonna look bad against the metallic orange frame. If it bothers me, I'll replace 'em with black later.

COME ON RIMS!!!
Old 03-01-12, 06:55 AM
tcs
Palmer

I called every bike shop I trust looking for a (W) hub, about a half-dozen of 'em... I couldn't find a local or online source that had them available. I'll be waiting at least another week for my rims, if you know where I can get an X-RF5(W)...
I dunno. They show 'in-stock':
https://smartbikeparts.com/search_details.php?itm=HU2236
https://www.bikeman.com/HU2236.html

No connection with these vendors.
Old 03-01-12, 04:37 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
I dunno. They show 'in-stock':
https://smartbikeparts.com/search_details.php?itm=HU2236
https://www.bikeman.com/HU2236.html

No connection with these vendors.
Hmm. Well, I can tell ya UBS doesn't have them and they don't know when they are coming in.
Old 03-01-12, 04:59 PM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Hmm. Well, I can tell ya UBS doesn't have them and they don't know when they are coming in.
You don't have an account with QBP?
Old 03-01-12, 09:39 PM
tcs
Palmer

Seems reasonable that a retailer might still have some even after the distributor ran out.

Soma has the low flange SRF5(W). No connection, but they're the only place I know in N.A. that stocks the low flange.

Last edited by tcs; 03-02-12 at 06:59 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.