Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Specialized S Works Road Shoe and Speedplay??

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-12, 07:27 PM
alpha_bravo
Mr. Sparkle

Bikes: 08 Specialized Allez Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

I've really been itching to get the Specialized S Works road shoe for a while now, the price tag has kept me reluctant. However, while perusing my LBS the other day, I saw them on sale for $250. I want to jump on it, but I'm a speed play user and have been hearing grumblings that Specialized may go the way of Sidi and build a 4 bolt specific Speedplay sole option.

I've been browsing the internet and haven't seen them on sale anywhere else, so I'm beginning to be doubtful that it will ever happen. What do you guys think, is a Speedplay Specialized option a possibility soon or should I just get them and continue using the adapter??
Old 04-23-12, 07:33 PM
twodownzero

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Ribble Nero Corsa, Surly Karate Monkey, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Cannondale MT800, Evil Insurgent

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just use the adapter. It's not like the market for a high end used road shoe is eroding anytime soon.
Old 04-23-12, 08:06 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
I have Speedplay specific shoes and shoes that need and adapter to use the Speedplay cleats. I feel no difference between them.
Old 04-23-12, 09:24 PM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I have Speedplay specific shoes and shoes that need and adapter to use the Speedplay cleats. I feel no difference between them.
Really?

I had to adjust seat post to compensate the difference in height.
Old 04-23-12, 09:47 PM
v70cat

Bikes: S5 VWD & SL-7 S works Red.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my S Works, just make sure that they are the current model with two separate Boa dials.
Old 04-24-12, 01:46 AM
mtrider05
Slow

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The adapter works fine, I run the same set up. 5k miles and no problems, as mentioned, bump your saddle up a centimeter.
Old 04-24-12, 01:48 AM
lazerzxr

Bikes: Colnago C59 Italia Di2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Unless you currently ride with 2 cleat wedges under each foot id steer well clear of those shoes, thay cause me endless knee issues and I have a friend who currently is struggling with the same thing. Its fine if you need wedges, but if you dont its hopeless. The insole wedges designed to remove the built in wedge dont work either. the shoes are great but spesh really failed when they designed them without the option to remove the wedge.

spesh say 80% of people could benefit from the wedge, which means 1 in 5 people who buy their shoes with likely get knee problems. Myself and a riding friend included.

Last edited by lazerzxr; 04-24-12 at 01:57 AM.
Old 04-24-12, 01:54 AM
lazerzxr

Bikes: Colnago C59 Italia Di2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mtrider05
The adapter works fine, I run the same set up. 5k miles and no problems, as mentioned, bump your saddle up a centimeter.
This is realluy a bar drop issue, if the OP is tall and long legged and wants to deduce bar drop then a 4 bolt shoe is a good way to lose a few mm but if he is short legged and would like to increase drop then he is better off with the stack height of a 3 bolt shoe.

We are only talking about 3mm though, not 1 cm
Old 04-24-12, 04:45 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by v70cat
I love my S Works, just make sure that they are the current model with two separate Boa dials.
A lot of extrapolations in this thread. I have been using the single Boa dial design for two seasons...no issues. I rarely use the dial btw.
The shoes fit like slippers like they should.
As to the other comments about the wedges inducing knee pain...yada...I don't have any knee pain either. Haven't changed the shoes from how they came from Specialized.

OP...we all can wait for Christmas for the next design iteration of all products. A fair question though and I know you were checking if the 4 bolt is out there. I haven't seen it either.
I run the std 3 bolt Spesh carbon shoe with Speedplay with rearward cleat relocation plates moving the cleats back. Best shoes I have owned. Btw, I will likely opt for the 4 bolt however when they come out...but only after my shoes are worn out which will be a while.

The knock on Speedplay is...the design of the cleats is overly sensitive to screw torque on the four corners. Would be nice if they could work around this...but until they design out flexibility in the cleat which allows it to conform to the sole of the shoe...this issue will continue. But...Speedplay cleats are the best for float and reducing knee stress and you can move the cleats rearward the most with the adapter. Speedplays + Specialized carbon shoes are the best combo I have found.

Last edited by Campag4life; 04-24-12 at 04:49 AM.
Old 04-25-12, 07:20 PM
alpha_bravo
Mr. Sparkle

Bikes: 08 Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to pick them up tomorrow. Really what I was going for with the Speedplay sole is a lower stack height and a simpler system overall. But for the price, the Look sole will work just fine for now.
Old 04-26-12, 09:01 AM
Talewinds

Bikes: (2) 2004 Trek 1500, Team Colors:2004 Cannondale Ironman w/ Renn and Zipp: 2005 Kestrel Talon SL: 2001 GT Agressor: 2001 Schwinn Moab: 2001 Specialized S-Works M4 Festina Team Bike: 2002 Pinarello Prince: 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been riding the S-Works shoe/ Speedplay X combination since 2004, still wearing the same 2004 shoes. SO, here's a vote for product quality and longevity.
Old 04-26-12, 09:06 AM
NWS Alpine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The adaptor is fine and the specialized shoes are awesome. If you want to go without an adaptor then the Sidi speedpaly shoes are the way to go. Like these if you are the limited sizes they have available at this price https://www.xxcycle.com/php/boutique/...&wwl=en&wwp=44
Old 04-26-12, 12:49 PM
zigmeister

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I run the Specialized Road Comp Pro version, the step down, but same thing mostly as the Sworks....anyway, I run speedplay and use the adapter...works fine. I wouldn't make any decisions based on some rumor or vaporware.
Old 04-26-12, 12:58 PM
zigmeister

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by v70cat
And make sure you buy a set or two of spare dials/cables from Boa. When there is an "issue", you got a spare and 10 minutes later, you are back in business.
Old 04-26-12, 01:32 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
"It's All About Pedal Power

Yet, I always wondered how a dedicated shoe made for the Speedplay system would work, and the new Sidis gave me the chance to find out. Not only would I be able to use the Speedplay cleats flush with the shoe soles, I would also be able to lower my seat about half a centimeter, the amount you typically raise a seat to account for the height of Look cleats. Sitting lower puts you closer to the ground and can improve overall bike handling.

Since this was the primary reason I got the Ergo 3s, let me cut to the chase: these shoes, with their super-stiff carbon soles attached almost directly on top of the pedals, make you feel more connected to your bicycle than ever before. Your legs feel attached to the crankarms and every pedal stroke seems to drive your bike forward more immediately.

I’m not describing it well, but you feel the difference every time you hit the gas. I can't remember anything feeling as natural, from clips and straps, to all the different clipless pedal systems I've ridden. It has to be more efficient, and it also feels more comfortable with your foot fully engaged instead of resting above the pedal. I love it."

https://www.roadbikerider.com/current...jims-tech-talk
Old 04-26-12, 05:48 PM
Soil_Sampler
A little North of Hell

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Speedplay

Fit is the most important thing. Then, adapt the pedals to your shoes.

Northwave