Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Underwear and shorts

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Underwear and shorts

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-12, 08:05 AM
Cyclebum

Bikes: Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Underwear and shorts

When I made the switch to a bent, I knew I wouldn't be wiggling myself into padded spandes girdles anymore. That alone was worth the move to the dark side.

Then I quickly realized that the legs of the light, synthetic shorts I wear over the spandex when touring in warm weather were blowing up to my crotch. Not a sight I'd want to inflict on anybody. Umm.....

Went shopping and discovered that Starter makes synthetic, stretchy, underwear with legs that come down to a couple of inches above the knee, and that don't ride up when I pedal. In black, they look pretty much like the padded lycra. They also make a line of syn shorts for wearing over the undies. All very inexpensive.

When riding locally, I jump aboard with whatever I'm dressed in for the day, usually regular shorts or jeans. But when on tour in summer, light weight synthetics are the uniform.

What combo's do you wear for bent riding?
Old 08-17-12, 09:54 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Yes one of the many advantages of riding a bent is the fact that special clothes are not needed. I wear regular jockey shorts, and rugby shorts that I buy at a local sports store for about $15.
Old 08-17-12, 12:28 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
I like my regular bike shorts on the bent, just for the added absorbency. I don't want any shorts that are loose enough that stuff from the road (or insects) could blow up the leg, either. I get enough of that when I open the visor on my motorcycle helmet....
Old 08-17-12, 01:40 PM
Cyclebum

Bikes: Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
I don't want any shorts that are loose enough that stuff from the road (or insects) could blow up the leg, either. I get enough of that when I open the visor on my motorcycle helmet....
Good point. Hasn't happened to me yet. It will. That thin underwear ain't gonna stop a wasp stinger.
Old 08-17-12, 02:21 PM
oddball

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20, Specialized Roubaix, Kona Jake the Snake, Cannondale Super V, Electra Straight 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From my personal expierience denim doesn't stop wasp stings either.

I usually wear compression shorts or Under Armor boxer briefs to limit unnecessary exposure. Cheap nylon shorts over them.

If you're want to wear Lycra shorts without the pad triathletes wear shorts referred to as "jammers" by some that will fill this role. They're usually cheaper than bike shorts also. I have a pair made by Sugoi.

I have a pair of knickers from Rivendell that have closures at the bottom to keep insects from flying up there in the first place. https://www.rivbike.com/product-p/ws2.htm
The new versions have elastic instead of Velcro closures at the bottom. They also have pants that cinch up at the bottom for when it's cooler.
Old 08-17-12, 07:55 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
There's triathlete shorts, which have a smaller-than-normal pad, and there's jammers, which are long-legged lycra competition swim suits.
https://www.kiefer.com/kiefer-lycra-j...p?page_id=147\
Notice they look a lot like bike shorts. Jammers are a complete swim suit and have a 'modesty' layer of material in the front. It's not much but it's something. Lycra running shorts are similar, but don't have any liner. What neither jammers or running shorts have is 'leg grippers' to hold your leg warmers up. If it's that cool, I wear tights.

For $20, I'm going to load up on a few of those Kiefer jammers.
Old 08-17-12, 08:27 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Yes one of the many advantages of riding a bent is the fact that special clothes are not needed. I wear regular jockey shorts, and rugby shorts that I buy at a local sports store for about $15.
Rugby shorts are special.
Old 08-17-12, 11:50 PM
ratz

Bikes: Catrike 700

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reverse gear inc. makes a really nice set of products especially for the bent rider. Padding and seems are just right for the reumbent position.

Also love Bomber shorts with strap down bottoms those are great. Sinch them up, ride to the store, loosen the straps and you look like an average person in cargo shorts.
Old 08-18-12, 05:49 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
I occasionally ride with regular shorts for very short trips but for 90% of my rides, I wear Lycra recumbent shorts made by Kucharik.

Old 08-18-12, 07:30 AM
Grishnak

Bikes: Ridgeback Steel Tourer,Recumbent SWB,Steel Road,,Raleigh Twenty,Elephant Bike,Pashley Pronto TNT.

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Running shorts are good,i still use "normal" cycling shorts as well.How is the seat on your bike? Do you have a ventisit pad? There could be a wasp out there with your name on it.
Old 08-20-12, 08:26 AM
tctdvm

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
I occasionally ride with regular shorts for very short trips but for 90% of my rides, I wear Lycra recumbent shorts made by Kucharik.
+1

without a doubt the best
JL Velo makes a similar short, too, I hear. I've not tried it.

T
Old 08-22-12, 06:37 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Russell compression shorts covered by Reebok gym shorts. I like the black CG boxer shorts as an undergarment, too. Still wear my bib shorts out of habit sometimes.

Old 08-28-12, 04:38 PM
Sayre Kulp 
Bulky Bullet

Bikes: Burley Koosah / RANS Zenetik Pro / Catrike Expedition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclebum
When I made the switch to a bent, I knew I wouldn't be wiggling myself into padded spandes girdles anymore. That alone was worth the move to the dark side.

Then I quickly realized that the legs of the light, synthetic shorts I wear over the spandex when touring in warm weather were blowing up to my crotch. Not a sight I'd want to inflict on anybody. Umm.....

Went shopping and discovered that Starter makes synthetic, stretchy, underwear with legs that come down to a couple of inches above the knee, and that don't ride up when I pedal. In black, they look pretty much like the padded lycra. They also make a line of syn shorts for wearing over the undies. All very inexpensive.

When riding locally, I jump aboard with whatever I'm dressed in for the day, usually regular shorts or jeans. But when on tour in summer, light weight synthetics are the uniform.

What combo's do you wear for bent riding?
Exactly the same as you and for the exact same reason.
Old 09-02-12, 05:54 PM
Tractortom
recumbent bike advocate

Bikes: Bacchetta Belladare, long wheelbase

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been riding recumbents for the last eight years or so now, and have 'converted' my cycling shorts. I take the stitching out that holds the pad in place in an inexpensive pair of cycling shorts, and wear them with white briefs underneath to provide a little bit of support and moisture wicking. It seems to work for me, but I have looked at compression shorts without pads as an alternative. I still have one pair of cycling shorts with a pad, and am hoping to find a mountain bike under the christmas tree this year.....
Old 09-05-12, 03:04 AM
mobilemail

Bikes: You mean this week?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts
I prefer UnderArmour boxer-briefs under light poly-cotton or synthetic "regular" shorts - really anything that is light, comfortable and dries quickly.
Old 10-30-12, 04:08 PM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
My Tour Easy crank Is low enough that my street shorts don't let my gear fall out.
So no worries there..

On workout rides it get's real hot n sticky In central Florida and sweat cools me down so I don't think about dry.
Good old fashion running shorts are coolest to me and they have a liner, again, So my gear stays where I left it XD
Old 10-30-12, 05:19 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Originally Posted by osco53
My Tour Easy crank Is low enough that my street shorts don't let my gear fall out.
Having your junk falling out isn't the concern; it's having a bee or wasp blow UP your pant leg and get caught. Bees don't like to be caught. And I guarantee your junk doesn't like bee stingers.
Old 10-31-12, 01:31 PM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Having your junk falling out isn't the concern; it's having a bee or wasp blow UP your pant leg and get caught. Bees don't like to be caught. And I guarantee your junk doesn't like bee stingers.
I hear ya..
Pain reminds me I am Alive !

I rode Into a Pissed off Yellow Jacket once doing 75 mph on my Roadster,
Full riding gear, Flip face helmet and all

Only skin showing was about a one inch strip of neck,,,

You can guess where he got me...At that speed he was a wet spot, but in his last second of life he was
flying away from me.
The stinger went deep,,felt like the whole poison sack went in with it.
We stopped at a liquor store, got a mini of 100 proof vodka.
wet down the knife and my neck..
Dug It out,,no biggie.....

Never have considerd a sting on my gear tho,,,,

Ok so I will re-think my shorts,,,,
Old 10-31-12, 07:22 PM
rufusprime99

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was riding with whatever shorts I had on. Now I am doing longer rides and put on my old baggy MTB shorts. There aren't really baggy, but shorts over spandex inner shorts. I like this because of the cargo pockets on each thigh. One pocket for my phone, another for a cliff bar. I liked them so much, I am looking for a new pair with similar characteristics so I have 2 pair. They are nice for walking around off the bike too. Not showing all you got to folks who might not want to see.
Old 11-01-12, 05:35 AM
BlazingPedals

Admittedly, you don't need to look like a racer to ride a bent. But if you're going to wear shorts with generous leg openings, try to put some sort of drawstring in the leg hems. That way you can cinch the openings closed and prevent unpleasant interactions with insects. If you're running a fairing, that helps a lot too.
Old 11-01-12, 09:07 PM
Tandem427

Bikes: Rans F5 Pro 700c, Lightfoot Bigfoot fat-tire, Greenspeed GTO trike, Rans Screamer tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aero Tech Designs has unpadded bike shorts, compression running shorts, and recumbent jerseys.

I like to wear some sort of compression shorts while riding my high racer. Might even be a tiny fraction faster with them on. Anyway, it just feels right.

When I'm in more rugged terrain with my fat-tire recumbent, I go with my fire-hose shorts that I got from Duluth Trading Co. They are comfortable to ride in and tough enough to handle anything off the bike, too.

Last edited by Tandem427; 11-01-12 at 09:08 PM. Reason: grammar