Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

STOP Signs and Bicyclists

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-14, 05:11 AM
gman214

Bikes: Breezer Storm Comp 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
STOP Signs and Bicyclists

There was a recent post concerning "STOP" signs and bicyclists. Inside my neighborhood, I usually slow down to almost not moving, look for traffic and then quickly turn or ride thru the intersection. On main or high traffic roads, I stop!

A local bicyclist was injured the other the day. IT'S CLAIMED HE RODE THRU THE STOP SIGN. Hope he has a speedy recovery!

I'm sure as more cities create bike lanes and routes, traffic laws will be enforced on bicyclists. Including direction of travel, helmets, and traffic signals! One of our routes, that include walkers, has a Speed Limit for bicyclists.

Here's the Article.
Old 07-13-14, 06:55 AM
Cyril 

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Why cyclists should be able to roll through stop signs and ride through red lights - Vox

Another Article

Last edited by Cyril; 07-13-14 at 06:58 AM.
Old 07-13-14, 08:47 AM
gman214

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with rolling thru traffic signals IF THERE'S NO TRAFFIC.
Old 07-13-14, 09:27 AM
Northwestrider

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A good article
Old 07-13-14, 10:03 AM
1986raleigh

Bikes: '86 Raleigh marathon, '09 Fuji newest 4.0, 2001 Cannondale R600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Texas is same as car, red or stop means stop. Ignore at peril of tickets.
Old 07-13-14, 10:16 AM
Willbird

Bikes: 2001 Trek Multitrack 7200, 2104 Fuji Sportif 1.5

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 1986raleigh
Texas is same as car, red or stop means stop. Ignore at peril of tickets.
In town when I approach a stop sign or stop/flasher light I "drive like a car"...take the center of the lane and stop just like I was driving a car.

Out in the sticks I slow way down and stop if need be, but if it is a 4 way stop with no cars in sight, yea I run the thing at speed :-).

I vastly prefer riding in the country :-).

Signals that work on a "demand" basis now more and more use cameras not weight sensors, and darned if they do not seem to work great even for bicycles.

Bil
Old 07-13-14, 10:23 AM
spdracr39

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Completely based on traffic and the visual sight range of the intersection.
Old 07-13-14, 11:11 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I'm still waiting for cars to actually stop at stop signs, much less bikes. They don't call it a California Stop for nothing!

If there's nobody around, I'm not stopping. If there's a car then yes, I'll stop. I don't want to get hit (again).
Old 07-13-14, 11:39 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
Stop, track stand, go.

Rule is applied in group rides unless the right of way cars wave us to pass thru.
Old 07-13-14, 12:30 PM
WrightVanCleve

Bikes: 2013 Trek One Series

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I stop if there is no clear view of the road but I'll roll through if I can see that there is no cars coming from either direction. Usually I'll slow quite a bit so that I can stop when I do see a car but continue when I know the road is clear.

Washington trip was a bit different, I found out that there are laws against what I do here in Ohio. If there are laws here in Ohio, I don't think they are really enforced or depend upon locality.
Old 07-13-14, 12:48 PM
rommer25

Bikes: Windsor Carrera Sport, Fuji Absolute 3.0, Cannondale H400

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Here in California, I think the law is the same for car and bicycle. I usually, on my bicycle, slow and if it is clear, ride through. How much I slow (or stop) depends on how much I can see safely. A couple of months ago, I rode through a stop sign, turning right. A police car was coming the other way. The office just looked at me and kept going.
Old 07-13-14, 01:19 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by jsigone
Stop, track stand, go.

Rule is applied in group rides unless the right of way cars wave us to pass thru.
Group rides are a different animal - some groups just wrecklessly blow through stop signs, red lights... you name it. Honestly, if a group ride doesn't emphasize stopping for traffic control signals I'm not interested in riding with them.

And no, I'm not advocating the full group stop for every sign in the wilderness... I think common sense has a place.
Old 07-13-14, 04:31 PM
MikeRides

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I stop for red lights.. but I coast through stop signs. If at a red light, the intersection is clear and there's no cars in the foreseeable distance I'll proceed before waiting for the green, otherwise I'd be standing there forever trying to trip the light. Same applies when I'm crossing a street on foot
Old 07-14-14, 12:09 AM
TXsailor

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 59 Posts
I usually roll through stop sighs and would fully expect a ticket if a cop saw me. A week or so ago I was slowing to a stop since a cop was stopping on the cross street. He waved me on so I just kept going
Old 07-14-14, 06:35 AM
Willbird

Bikes: 2001 Trek Multitrack 7200, 2104 Fuji Sportif 1.5

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I also live in Ohio, apparently running a signal or sign on a bike is the same penalty on a bike or in a car, BUT they cannot add points to your drivers license for a non DUI offense committed on a bicycle.
Old 07-14-14, 06:48 AM
practical

Bikes: Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I use the "Idaho Stop" rule - which allows bicyclists to treat stop signs like yield signs. It's not technically legal in other states but it's probably accepted. The police in Shelburne, VT enforce the law for cyclists so be careful if you're riding there.
Old 07-14-14, 07:05 AM
ill.clyde

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MikeRides
I stop for red lights.. but I coast through stop signs. If at a red light, the intersection is clear and there's no cars in the foreseeable distance I'll proceed before waiting for the green, otherwise I'd be standing there forever trying to trip the light. Same applies when I'm crossing a street on foot
Pretty much this. In the mornings when there's little traffic on my commute I'm more likely to flaunt stop sign/light laws.

On my way home is a different story. With lots of traffic I try very much to act like traffic
Old 07-14-14, 07:07 AM
thrllskr

Bikes: Fuji, Ridley, Bianchi, Charge

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I commute daily 13.5 miles each way. I ride through downtown Denver and other highly congested areas. I choose to take streets with less traffic so I can avoid getting hit. In doing so there are bike lanes and lots of stops signs and long long red lights. My commute would take me 15-20 minutes longer if I did not Idaho Stop at Red lights and yield at stop signs. Anyone who tells you bikes are vehicles when we are on the road..."If you treat me like a vehicle I will act like a vehicle."
Old 07-14-14, 09:42 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,541 Times in 7,329 Posts
Originally Posted by practical
I use the "Idaho Stop" rule - which allows bicyclists to treat stop signs like yield signs.
+1. I really wish they would adopt the rule in PA, or at least in Philly, which has many narrow streets. Being able to keep ahead of the traffic flow is a significant safety enhancemnent. My biggest fear is that, with all the idiots we have on two wheels, too many would take it as "I don't have to stop OR yield." Then again, that's how many people ride now so maybe it wouldn't change things that much.

When the law was changed in ID, vehcicle-cylist accidents dropped and then leveled off.
Old 07-14-14, 10:21 AM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
I have noticed that some drivers come to a fill stop whenever when they see a bicycle. This is so they can bich about those scofflaw cyclists.
Old 07-14-14, 05:50 PM
Condorita
Grammar Cop

Bikes: in my sig line

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I only seldom don't come to a full stop.
Old 07-14-14, 06:11 PM
gman214

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Condorita
I only seldom don't come to a full stop.
R

Hum?! I had the right of way, the driver actually looked at me BUT continued thru the STOP Sign, turned in front of me! I anticipated that and slowed because she was on the cellphone...FEMALES AND CELLPHONES, SMH!!
Old 07-15-14, 07:45 AM
ill.clyde

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gman214
R

Hum?! I had the right of way, the driver actually looked at me BUT continued thru the STOP Sign, turned in front of me! I anticipated that and slowed because she was on the cellphone...FEMALES AND CELLPHONES, SMH!!
Not to pile on with an ongoing somewhat cliched rant about "women drivers" but this year this has been born out time and time again. Much of the time it's a young woman too, but either way, a woman behind the wheel with a phone against her head is about the most spatially unaware thing on the planet. I've noticed it while bike commuting, and while driving. It's frankly rather scary
Old 07-15-14, 10:33 AM
Vexxer

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.0 LE, Specialized Tricross Elite Disc (2013), Motobecane 529HT

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We roll through stops if there is a clear view in all directions and no traffic.... not stop lights though, even if the roads are empty we wait... unless its one of those with a trigger that never changes because we dont have enough weight on it.
Old 07-15-14, 11:49 AM
donalson
just pedal

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, trek 560

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I usually use the Idaho stop method at stop signs, stopping and starting uses a lot of energy and I'd prefer to keep that energy for later in the ride... for lights it depends on where I am, most of them have camera sensors now and do a good job of picking up even cyclists... but if I'm turning right and onto a bike lane I'll slow down and just make the turn, if not I follow the right on red law (stop, look, GOOOOO)... there is only one light that I use as a stop sign and that is one that I use on my night ride, the sensor isn't very good and I can see either direction on the road it crosses for 1/4+ mile in either direction...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.