Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Paramount Tandem help needed

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-11, 10:43 AM
dukejay

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I picked up this Paramount Tandem and I'm not sure of the year and looking for info on it I have been to the waterford website and my serial # does not seem to jive with thier date code system does anyone know anything more about this? Serial # is C9PT102

Old 04-07-11, 10:53 AM
nwbikeman

Bikes: Serotta Davis Phinney, 1992 Serotta T Max,1984 Specialized Allez, Olmo, 1974 Strawberry,Redline bmx, ect.,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try Oldroads.com for the Schwinn serial# data base, looks like late 80's early 90's, cool crankset.
Old 04-07-11, 11:17 AM
TandemGeek
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
My best guess is that it was produced in March 1969... and it was the 2nd Paramount tandem built in 1969, even though it's not true to the Waterford information. Best bet is to call Waterford if you want to get the no-kidding, best answer.

Waterford's data: https://waterfordbikes.com/now/home.p...aramountdating

Paramount Tandem Serial Numbers

Paramount started building tandems in 1969. Prior to this time, only special team tandems (like Olympic bikes) were made.

Serial Numbering: The first phase started in early 1969 and continued to the middle of 1970. It consisted of the following fields:

•Month Code: This one letter code corresponds to the month with A=January, B=Febuary and so on. Because I is not used, September=J and December=M.
•Year Code: This two digit code is the last two digits of the year - 69 is 1969.
•PT:This code indicated a Paramount Tandem.
•Sequence Number: This three digit number represents the nth frame and/or fork scheduled during the month.

For example E69PT109 was a Paramount Tandem built in May of '69. It was the 9th tandem of the year.

The second phase started in Mid-1970 when Schwinn started using the standard numbering system (and probably a common bottom bracket) with the company's mass production. For example, FF018524 was built in June of 1970, serial number 018524.

All Paramount tandem production had ceased by the end of 1979.
My take: The discrepancy I see as being the most plausible is that this bike was so early in 1969 that they used the same serialization for it as the non-tandem Paramounts produced from '66 - '69. Perhaps somewhere along the line in '69 they added the 2nd digit if their example of E69PT109 is taken from an actual tandem.

The First Serialized Date Code

This system was used from January 1966 through 1969. It consisted of three components -

•Month Code: This one letter code corresponds to the month with A=January, B=Febuary and so on. Because I is not used, September=J and December=M.
•Year Code: This one digit code is the last digit of the year - 6 is 1966.
•Sequence Number: This two digit number represents the nth frame and/or fork scheduled during the month.

For example, H763 is the sixty-third frame or fork scheduled during August of 1967.

Last edited by TandemGeek; 04-07-11 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-07-11, 02:01 PM
dukejay

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey thanks for the info on this and I will get a hold of Waterford for some more info!
Old 04-13-11, 01:56 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by nwbikeman
Try Oldroads.com for the Schwinn serial# data base, looks like late 80's early 90's, cool crankset.
I think its got to be older.

That would be after they quit making Paramounts in Chicago (1979). I don't think Waterford ever made a Paramount Tandem.

Also that head badge was used on the Paramounts built in Chicago, not on the Waterford built Paramounts.

And the frame style is more reminiscent of older tandems.

All of which is consistent with the 1969 theory.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 04-15-11, 02:22 AM
PMK

Bikes: 2006 Co-Motion Roadster (Flat Bars, Discs, Carbon Fork), Some 1/2 bikes and a couple of KTM's

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I know zilch about the year or details of the tandem, however if you plan to ride it, it may be a good idea to reroute the front brake cable between what are possibly shifter cables. Might not be an issue if you have other plans to do some work on it.

PK
Old 04-16-11, 02:16 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,619 Times in 2,123 Posts
We had a 78 or 79 Paramount and that one appears to be older than ours. We had a few braze-ons, if I remember correctly. I don't have any photos or I'd check.

Edited to add that I did find this photo taken in 1989. By looking at this photo, it would appear that the bike did have cable braze-ons and such.

Last edited by Trsnrtr; 04-17-11 at 10:13 AM.
Old 04-16-11, 09:35 PM
flypaca
flypaca

Bikes: 1972 Schwinn paramount tandem, touring tandem French frame,MTB style tandem, Several solo bikes including a Kabuki from the 70's

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have a 72 paramount tandem that seems to have the same fork heads as yours. After consulting with Richard Shwinn at waterford and comparing the serial # it was made in Chicago. Serial # is on bottom of headtube. Mine has a mixte rear and a dual stabalizing set up. The Olympic rings and a paramount decal on the front down tube. It is filet brazed and a great job. Set for 27x11/4 wheels with weiinmann rims on campy hubs. It rides like a classic steel frame and is very comfortable. Have fun and enjoy the ride.
Peter
Old 10-19-17, 06:38 PM
Wbskpr

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What are the brakes on this bike? They look more robust than the Mafacs found on 69's.
Old 10-16-18, 06:10 AM
Joint Venture

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Wbskpr
What are the brakes on this bike? They look more robust than the Mafacs found on 69's.
I would say those are Scott Pedersen Self-Energizing cantis. I added a set of those to our first tandem back in the early 1990’s. As they engaged, the forward motion of the rim caused them to clamp tighter, providing additional braking force and lower effort at the lever.

Last edited by Joint Venture; 10-22-18 at 02:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-16-18, 03:14 PM
bwebel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I'm thinking brakes, shifters and maybe wheels were upgraded since the frame was made, particularly if the frame dates to '69.
Old 10-16-18, 03:23 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
AFAIK Waterford started up long after Schwinn was sold off as a name brand,
to to reemerge in mass merchant stores ...

I would say those are Scott Petersen Self-Energizing cantis
Yes.
I have a couple sets of those, mine came from the Burly Tandem shop. (worked there)

I put mine on my self contained Touring bike ..

​​​​​​​....

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-16-18 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-17-18, 08:47 AM
Paul J

Bikes: 1980's Spectrum 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, 1990 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
AFAIK Waterford started up long after Schwinn was sold off as a name brand,
to to reemerge in mass merchant stores ... ​​​​​​​....
I know this is an old thread but just for my own clarification, didn't Schwinn move their Paramount fabrication to the Wisconsin location that then later became Waterford?
Old 10-22-18, 11:55 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul J
I know this is an old thread but just for my own clarification, didn't Schwinn move their Paramount fabrication to the Wisconsin location that then later became Waterford?
That sounds about right.
They've been making frames for at least one recumbent brand also based in Wisconsin, Volae, for quite a while.