Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Rip Van Winkle Awakens to Trainer Apps

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-18, 09:56 PM
Idak

Bikes: Felt Z70 and F30X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The last time I was on a trainer was last century. Does anyone have a link to a good trainer guide that includes how to interface with apps to make training interesting and effective?
Old 11-09-18, 11:32 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
You should start by going to the websites of the main players, Zwift, The Sufferfest, Rouvy, TrainerRoad as apps, and the hardware websites, WahooFitness.com in particular. Also, DCRainmaker.com is a website full of information about all types of training equipment and apps.

Zwift is fun with the simulation while The Sufferfest is serious training and they keep you entertained (at least until you've gone through all of the workouts and they get repetitive.)

All of the components and apps are pretty inter-operative these days and setup is a breeze. At a minimum you need a speed sensor, a cadence sensor, and a trainer that has a known power curve. From that setup you can upgrade with an HR monitor, a power meter and lastly a smart trainer. Those last two items get expensive. Once you ride with power indoors, you want to know your power outdoors too and it matters more than speed for training.
Old 11-10-18, 07:14 AM
Idak

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Would a Cycleops Fluid 2 be a good start as a trainer to add the sensors too? They are look to be a good deal at Amazon right now. I just spent a bunch on a second bike to ride in the winter so I don't want to push the budget too hard for something that's only a once or twice a week ride.
Old 11-11-18, 10:31 PM
Brofessor

Bikes: Schwinn Circuit 89'

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Idak
Would a Cycleops Fluid 2 be a good start as a trainer to add the sensors too? They are look to be a good deal at Amazon right now. I just spent a bunch on a second bike to ride in the winter so I don't want to push the budget too hard for something that's only a once or twice a week ride.
I got one of these: https://www.kurtkinetic.com/products...rt-refurbished
Best value for money with pretty accurate power measurement.
Edit: Lifetime warranty for original owner.
Old 11-12-18, 04:39 AM
zacster

I was using one last season as that's what I had. For this season I bought a Wahoo Kickr Core smart trainer and it is a huge difference being on a smart trainer. There are less expensive smart trainers out there that work really well. CycleOps Magnus, Wahoo Snap, and some others. They cost more than the Fluid 2, but if you could afford one it is an entirely different experience. You may find you use it more than once or twice a week.

Click here for a review of all the smart trainers You won't regret spending a little more for a much better experience.

Last edited by zacster; 11-12-18 at 04:47 AM.
Old 11-22-18, 06:33 PM
Idak

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ultimately spent the money for a Cycleops M2. From the internet, it seems is a replacement for the Magnus. What app should I use? I don't need huge features, like virtual races. I'm a fat old Clyde. For now, I'm looking for heart rate, cadence, speed and power. I just want to be able to compare day to day. I'm sure I'll develop some interval work. But mainly it's a place to push peddles when it's pouring rain or below 40 F outside. I am already paying for mapmyride. Is that good enough?
Old 11-23-18, 07:08 PM
Athens80

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Your assignment is to read https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/11/...pps-guide.html .

The apps have gotten more sophisticated since that article was published. But it provides all the basics.
Old 11-25-18, 09:58 AM
fstrnu

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ultimately spent the money for a Cycleops M2. From the internet, it seems is a replacement for the Magnus. What app should I use? I don't need huge features, like virtual races. I'm a fat old Clyde. For now, I'm looking for heart rate, cadence, speed and power. I just want to be able to compare day to day. I'm sure I'll develop some interval work. But mainly it's a place to push peddles when it's pouring rain or below 40 F outside. I am already paying for mapmyride. Is that good enough?
You don't have to pay for anything. Just use the software that came with your trainer to manually control the power. Start with 1 x 30 minute (or whatever duration is comfortable to start with) intervals in Zone 2 according to the "Perceived Exertion" and "Description" columns here...

https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/p...aining-levels/

Watch Netflix or whatever you have while you do this.

Up the duration until you get to your time limit and then you can move to 3 x 10 ==> 3 x 12 ==> 2 x 20 Tempo intervals based on how you are feeling can then repeat the same for sweetspot ==> threshold and then get into 4x4 VO2 max intervals.

Keep one day long, though, to maintain your endurance.
Old 11-25-18, 10:54 AM
zacster

Since you spent the money on the smart trainer you should get at least one of the training apps to take full advantage of it. Yes, you can control it simply but the apps make it more interesting. The trainers usually come with free trials of one or more of the apps. Try them all out and see if you like them and then decide if it is worth the monthly cost. They are generally easy to set up, especially with a smart trainer as that is kind of the default these days.

I would start with Zwift as it has good features if you just want to ride and will provide both hill simulation mode and power control in ERG mode, but not both simultaneously. If you select a "Ride Type" it'll go into ERG mode, where the power will be controlled by the app no matter cadence or gear, if you spin faster the resistance will decrease to give the same net power to match the training profile. There is a check box to turn ERG mode on but I don't remember if it is on by default.

If you don't select a ride type you'll get simulation mode, where the resistance will increase/decrease with the terrain and feel like you are really climbing based on displayed grade. If you spin faster you'll go faster and produce more power. This has become my preferred mode as it simulates real riding outdoors.

Zwift also has group rides and races. Group rides are usually in ERG mode while races are simulation.

The Sufferfest is more about training in ERG mode, and Rouvy I think does both but I haven't used it much. They all use HR, speed, power and cadence. I haven't tried TrainingPeaks but that is another choice.
Old 11-28-18, 12:11 PM
fstrnu

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't pay for apps. If you HAVE to have a plan, then get the free trial and just follow the plans by performing intervals in manual ERG mode.

Here's the deal:

Structured training is about time at intensity

Time at intensity is acquired using intervals

Intervals are easy to perform in manual ERG mode

ERG mode also allows you to add or split intervals when you need to in order to preserve workout quality

Smart trainers allow precise load monitoring via the internal:external-load ratio as well as cardiac drift which also helps with load management.

Any SW product that tries to tell you what to do is stupid because of the known principle of individualization. Analysis SW makes sense and is antithetical to generic plans and so-called automated coaches.

Cycling is the only sport which peddles this nonsense SW.
Old 11-30-18, 04:32 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Hop on Zwift. Fitness tests, training plans, group workouts, group rides, races, challenges.

Really anything and everything you could want to keep indoor riding fun and engaging and still getting in a good workout. I've seen some pretty fast guys on Zwift go out and tear up the p/1/2 road racing scene come March and April. Very effective.

Thousands of riders of all ages and abilities.

Completely revolutionizes indoor training.