Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Rivet Loveland Saddle Review, vs. B17

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-18, 06:09 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts

I could put this in touring, Hybrid, C & V, but I know big guys like big saddles.

Context: I am sub-Clyde but rode for years at 220-230, and I'm stocky 6' (46" chest) frustrated that most racing saddle just don't work for my butt, though SMP Glider and 209 saddles came close. In a modern racier saddle, fully rotated position, I've come to settle on Ergon saddles, L size - have 3 and am happy, and happy in the drops. For my touring and more hybrid bikes, Brooks B17s. But I have one bike that is ridden fully upright, sort of a chopper-townie thing, and the B17 just doesn't offer enough butt room on that bike.

Enter the Rivet Loveland. The B17 is 11.25" x 5.75" on my contractors tape, the Loveland is 9.5(+)" x 8". So, the Loveland is short and wide, real wide. Both saddles are relatively flat with some fall-off right at the edges, with a more dramatic fall-off at the back of the Loveland. Both are essentially flat, same leather and construction, tightening screw, rivets. Perhaps the Loveland leather is a tad stiffer, but it's new and I assume it needs some breaking in. Frankly, it looks like some wizard took a B17 and pushed in the nose and pulled out the sides. It looks good on my bike, perhaps a bit like a woman's saddle design - tending to be short and wide.

Ride Performance: My immediately reaction was it isn't very comfortable. But I think I had that reaction to a B17 first time out. Because of the width it doesn't hit the inside edge of the public bone, you are sitting on the mid-outside sit/seat bone. It takes a little getting used to. I set it level and road 25 miles, with panniers. Really nice, especially sitting straight back coasting downhill, comfy though hard. I suspect it will get more comfortable over time, and maybe I will experiment with a little nose up attitude. I rode in bike shorts, finished with no soreness, and it was fun. Cool.

Caution: It's short at under 10 inches. I think I would prefer it closer to 11", like a B17. The nose tends to hit you in an 'unusual' place, but it is not deal breaker for me, it's manageable.

Value: It's like $110 and comes with a nice presentation, cover, allen key and wrench. Purchased from their website I had it in about a week.

Note: I have no affiliation or incentives with regard to Rivet Cycle Works.
Likes For FrenchFit:
Old 01-14-19, 05:19 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Likes For FrenchFit:
Old 01-17-19, 05:24 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by FrenchFit
I could put this in touring, Hybrid, C & V, but I know big guys like big saddles.

Context: I am sub-Clyde but rode for years at 220-230, and I'm stocky 6' (46" chest) frustrated that most racing saddle just don't work for my butt, though SMP Glider and 209 saddles came close. In a modern racier saddle, fully rotated position, I've come to settle on Ergon saddles, L size - have 3 and am happy, and happy in the drops. For my touring and more hybrid bikes, Brooks B17s. But I have one bike that is ridden fully upright, sort of a chopper-townie thing, and the B17 just doesn't offer enough butt room on that bike.

Enter the Rivet Loveland. The B17 is 11.25" x 5.75" on my contractors tape, the Loveland is 9.5(+)" x 8". So, the Loveland is short and wide, real wide. Both saddles are relatively flat with some fall-off right at the edges, with a more dramatic fall-off at the back of the Loveland. Both are essentially flat, same leather and construction, tightening screw, rivets. Perhaps the Loveland leather is a tad stiffer, but it's new and I assume it needs some breaking in. Frankly, it looks like some wizard took a B17 and pushed in the nose and pulled out the sides. It looks good on my bike, perhaps a bit like a woman's saddle design - tending to be short and wide.

Ride Performance: My immediately reaction was it isn't very comfortable. But I think I had that reaction to a B17 first time out. Because of the width it doesn't hit the inside edge of the public bone, you are sitting on the mid-outside sit/seat bone. It takes a little getting used to. I set it level and road 25 miles, with panniers. Really nice, especially sitting straight back coasting downhill, comfy though hard. I suspect it will get more comfortable over time, and maybe I will experiment with a little nose up attitude. I rode in bike shorts, finished with no soreness, and it was fun. Cool.

Caution: It's short at under 10 inches. I think I would prefer it closer to 11", like a B17. The nose tends to hit you in an 'unusual' place, but it is not deal breaker for me, it's manageable.

Value: It's like $110 and comes with a nice presentation, cover, allen key and wrench. Purchased from their website I had it in about a week.

Note: I have no affiliation or incentives with regard to Rivet Cycle Works.
I've considered a Rivet. I think it's the Diablo or maybe the Pearl. Whatever saddle is just slightly narrower than the B17. I'd be interested to know your opinion of the quality of the leather and general construction after you spend more time on it. They seem like they're well constructed but I've never seen one in person so what do I know?

Rivet looks like a brand that splits the difference between the old school B17 with their notoriously short rails, and the Selle Anatomica with their ridiculously long rails (and some claim cheap, stretchy leather). I think the slot on the Rivet is well designed and might actually provide some benefit.

I bought a B17 last year and while it's comfortable for me right out of the box, the short rails have been a deal breaker. I have it currently mounted all the way back on a Velo Orange Grand Cru 30mm set-back seatpost and it's still not working for me. BTW, the 30mm set-back is an exaggeration, but that's a subject for another thread.

For now I'm sticking with my trusty favorite, the Specialized Phenom 143mm. I want a leather saddle mostly for the romance of it, TBH. Please, give us an update as you get more time in the saddle. I'm mostly concerned with leather quality and construction issues (should they arise).

-Kedosto
Old 01-17-19, 05:56 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Originally Posted by Kedosto
I. I'd be interested to know your opinion of the quality of the leather and general construction after you spend more time on it.
So far, a month and a half, the quality is impressive. Without starting any flame wars I'm thinking the quality is better than the B17s I've owned. The leather is fairly thick and hard, but I assume that will soften with time. No squeaks. Maybe I'll leave a post at the six month mark.
Old 06-25-21, 08:10 AM
pubcat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am considering this saddle and wonder what you think after a couple of years. Did you keep liking the saddle? I have wide IT distance but ride at ~60º