Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Best way to pass the time on the bike trainer at the gym

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Best way to pass the time on the bike trainer at the gym

Old 12-10-18, 07:58 PM
capejohn

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 31 Posts
I put on headphones, close my eyes and before long I'm at a wonderful concert.
Old 12-10-18, 10:03 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
I'm trying to decide if it is worth joining a gym. When it is not raining here in the winter, it is usually mild enough to bike outside. The idea of breathing a bunch of exhaled, sweaty air and having a bunch of people sweating and secreting all over stuff that I touch is off-putting.
Solution is simple: bring a towel. That's what I do, and I'm one of only two in the gym at any one time that does. I use a bath towel so no part of my body touches the machines. Good for me, good for you.

Also, the gym's rule is to wipe down the machine after you're finished. I also wear lifting gloves, however, additional hygiene is never a bad thing.
Old 12-11-18, 12:42 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
They have towels and spray bottles there. But I am going to bring a pair of bike gloves in the future.

They were really impressed by my inflexibility. I guess they had never seen rigor mortis in a living person before.

After the weights, I decided to get on one of the stationary bikes. They have screens with a Zwift-like interface. There was a woman on a recumbent-style one nearby who was ... knitting. I decided to drop the hammer. Now I can barely walk.

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 12-11-18 at 12:56 AM.
Old 12-11-18, 08:16 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Ah, just get over that. Contact with more and different bacteria strengthens the immune system. It's good for you. Americans have, IMO, a creepy need for cleanliness. Just be an animal like anyone else.

We joined our first gym in '79, members ever since at some gym. We mostly lift weights, but have done spin classes which were OK. It's fun to get out, make and see new friends, and in general have a good time while hurting ourselves as much as possible.
Curious, what type of shoes do folks wear for spin classes? Or what type of pedals are on those bikes?
Old 12-11-18, 08:25 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
They have towels and spray bottles there. But I am going to bring a pair of bike gloves in the future.

They were really impressed by my inflexibility. I guess they had never seen rigor mortis in a living person before.

After the weights, I decided to get on one of the stationary bikes. They have screens with a Zwift-like interface. There was a woman on a recumbent-style one nearby who was ... knitting. I decided to drop the hammer. Now I can barely walk.

This made my day.

Drope the hamer on the lady knitting.

Oh man, I can relate to the inflexibility comment.
Old 12-11-18, 08:44 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
Curious, what type of shoes do folks wear for spin classes? Or what type of pedals are on those bikes?
The ones in the place I just joined have 2-bolt Shimano-style clips on one side (compatible with mtn shoes), and are flat with old-style toe-clips and straps on the other side.
Old 12-11-18, 11:08 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
I don't know if this is a regional peculiarity or not. I'd love to know. But around here pretty much every experienced endurance cyclist wears Sidi Dominators. That's a stiff-soled MTB shoe with a solid upper. The upshot of that intro is those are the shoes we wore to spin class. The bikes had double-sided pedals, SPD on one side, flats with a retention strap on the other. With those shoes, we could leave spin class and go lift weights in the gym, which we usually did. We only live 2 miles from our gym. We've decided that we actually do better in the long run if we ride our trainer and rollers at home and then drive to the gym for strength work. That way we are riding our road bikes and can do the appropriate workout for that day rather than do the hard spin workout.

If the pedals hadn't had SPD on one side, I suppose we would have worn the same shoes because they're the stiffest ones we have.
Old 12-12-18, 07:48 AM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
My gym's a short mile down the cycle track behind my house. I've crashed my bike badly twice recently going and returning from said gym. No road crashes for over 20 years, or problems with cars etc.
Now, our Gym does the Les Mills stuff, almost in it's entirety. What really concerns me is this; one of the newer classes, "Body Lean" (not LM) is "women only". Took me, a mere fella, by surprise; it's fully booked a week in advance. Hugely popular.
The implications? Make of it what you will. Do the ladies feel uncomfortable with men around, in close proximity as on the bikes? Have some of the ladies complained? How would you, as a man, feel about "men only" classes? I'd hate them and would never support them, like men only pubs as they seemed to be many years ago.
So now I go to the classes wondering whether to open my mouth or just . . . tuck into a quiet corner somewhere . . . seems like men need women more than women need men.
We have been marginalised!
Or maybe I need a new mindset . . .

Last edited by peterws; 12-12-18 at 07:51 AM.
Old 12-12-18, 10:03 AM
tigat

Bikes: 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL (GRX Di2), 2020 Domane SLR 9 (very green), 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 55 Posts
See post 2 for the explanation. I guess some women don't go to the gym to be admired.
Old 12-12-18, 01:03 PM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by tigat
See post 2 for the explanation. I guess some women don't go to the gym to be admired.
Understandable. But they may be flattering themselves. There is a clique of folk (mixed, which doesn't include me fortunately) in our gym who do classes together. If they change classes suddenly, there is a noticeable absence since their actions appear coordinated. The guys in that clique must feel a tad miffed. when they see this development to which, of course, they're barred!
I can see we'll all have to man up . . .
Old 12-12-18, 02:33 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Men are active while women are passive. That's one example whey the two can never be equal. At least under that banner.
Old 12-12-18, 03:08 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Intervals.

The gym in my building has these bikes have a setting called "constant wattage." It varies the resistance so that it requires the selected level of power to turn the pedals no matter what the cadence. I don't know how accurate the power meter is in these bikes, but it feels like it's in the ballpark. I usually will do supra-threshold workouts like 5x5's or 2(3x3's). And my interval playlist on the earbuds.