Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Sexiest toeclip pedals?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Sexiest toeclip pedals?

Old 06-25-18, 05:14 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4783 Post(s)
Liked 3,903 Times in 2,539 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
Yeah.

There's 2 popular choices...
1. Clipless pedals + shoes
2. Flat pedals with pins + flat shoes with grippy rubber (five tens are the most common)

Toeclips have drawbacks worse than the other options and lack advantages to make up for it.
- For getting your foot out in a emergency it's worse than either clipless or flats
- Getting in and out of the pedal every time your stop is a pain as you have to flip the pedal right side up.
- For convenience you can't beat flats
- The "look"...well...it just sortalost it's "cool" appeal when they stopped using it in racing if you want the racer look it's clipless

But, if you are riding the street (and hills) fix gear, those Shimanos have real value especially because of their toestraps . Point by point:

- For getting your foot out in a emergency it's worse than either clipless or flats - pedaling 200 rpm and having one foot come off the pedal and getting your ankle struck from behind by that pedal is an emergency that dwarfs the consequences of going down strapped in. I haven't done it yet but that remains one of my nightmares and keeps me on toeclips with quality straps.
- Getting in and out of the pedal every time your stop is a pain as you have to flip the pedal right side up. - yeah, but you get over it.
- For convenience you can't beat flats - see the 1st response, Theat lifelong injury wouldn't be "convenient".
- The "look"...well...it just sortalost it's "cool" appeal when they stopped using it in racing if you want the racer look it's clipless - they are still considered a good track pedal and still show up at velodromes.

I don't have those pedals for their looks. I put big steel tabs on them for quick pickup, then add heavy washers to the toeclip bolts to pull the toe down, offset the tab weight and add a touch of inertia to the pedal rotation. All this makes for an easy pickup.
Old 06-25-18, 05:39 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,413 Times in 2,522 Posts
Originally Posted by desconhecido
I've not seen every GB stem, but don't recall ever having seen one with a wedge rather than a cyclindrical expansion nut. Here are a couple (Raleigh used them on a lot of bikes). Two different styles. The bog standard was on a Super Course, the one labeled "forged" on a late 70s Grand Prix.
Interesting. Maybe I've never actually had that GB stem out to see the bottom, or forgot that it was different. Probably people would call it 'quill' as a catchall. Wouldn't be the first time cycling terminology got messed up due to history (I'm looking at you "clipless"!). cyco brings up another good example. A 'threaded' stem is not threaded, but the headset that goes around the steerer tube that the stem is inserted into, is.
Old 06-26-18, 08:54 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
But, if you are riding the street (and hills) fix gear, those Shimanos have real value especially because of their toestraps . Point by point:

- For getting your foot out in a emergency it's worse than either clipless or flats - pedaling 200 rpm and having one foot come off the pedal and getting your ankle struck from behind by that pedal is an emergency that dwarfs the consequences of going down strapped in. I haven't done it yet but that remains one of my nightmares and keeps me on toeclips with quality straps.

- Getting in and out of the pedal every time your stop is a pain as you have to flip the pedal right side up. - yeah, but you get over it.
- For convenience you can't beat flats - see the 1st response, Theat lifelong injury wouldn't be "convenient".
- The "look"...well...it just sortalost it's "cool" appeal when they stopped using it in racing if you want the racer look it's clipless - they are still considered a good track pedal and still show up at velodromes.

I don't have those pedals for their looks. I put big steel tabs on them for quick pickup, then add heavy washers to the toeclip bolts to pull the toe down, offset the tab weight and add a touch of inertia to the pedal rotation. All this makes for an easy pickup.
I'd literally be copying and pasting my previous post. Like I said, if your priority is convenience than they're far less convenient than flats. If you don't don't care about convenience and care about the above points (not a lot of people are pedalling at 200rpm) then clipless does it better, keeping your foot more firmly attached, while also letting you get out of the pedal faster and easier. Use whatever you want but one see why they stopped putting serious development effort into straps after clipless came out.
Likes For PaulRivers:
Old 06-26-18, 09:25 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Don't track racers still use clips and straps? Or do they actually nowadays use clipless, reinforced with straps?
Old 06-26-18, 10:19 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7335 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,420 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
Don't track racers still use clips and straps? Or do they actually nowadays use clipless, reinforced with straps?
It's a mixed bag now. I plan to visit the Velodrome soon, so I'll take a look.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-26-18, 10:23 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

I have an image in my head of the track racers on their bikes being held up by their trainers as they crank down two straps per foot to get them ready to go
Old 06-26-18, 10:42 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

I have an image in my head of the track racers on their bikes being held up by their trainers as they crank down two straps per foot to get them ready to go
It sometimes happens even these days, depending on the type of the race. Most of the races, though, start at the rail. The riders line up in single file and hold the rail. Since this places them in a random order, they get a free lap before the race starts, and the race starts with the bikes in motion. There are, however, some races that start at the line.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 06-26-18, 11:12 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Right, but before the riders get sent to the rail they need a helper to affix their feet to the pedals. Kind of like in Breaking Away where the cutters have to attach whatsisface's broken foot to a pedal with a bunch of wraps of tape.
Old 06-26-18, 11:22 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Well, I raced at Kissena in 2014, and I don't remember that happening. The rail is on the right, and it's not hard to reach your left foot in that position. It's a little harder to reach your left foot, but you could cinch your right foot before getting moving. I don't remember what the toe strap folks did, but I'm pretty sure no one received help at the rail.

Old 06-26-18, 12:20 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

I couldn't (quickly) find a utub showing getting straps setup before a track race, but these guys pretty clearly have straps

Old 06-26-18, 04:08 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

I couldn't (quickly) find a utub showing getting straps setup before a track race, but these guys pretty clearly have straps
Yes, some track racers still use straps.

Likes For noglider:
Old 06-27-18, 01:54 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
I appreciate the OP's passion for clips, but not the ones in the picture! I had them on one of my bikes, but they definitely didn't feel as good underfoot as more traditional pedals and clips (see below). Something about the shape didn't support my foot well either, and it was uncomfortable.

As a matter of fact, I just removed a set of Shimano 600's like the ones the OP has

Actually, these are just lowly PD-A550s (RX100). The rear plate is part of the pedal body instead of a bit of chromed steel bolted on, and the spindle is retained differently. I've modified the pair on the TCR by shaving the rear plate a few mm and removing the vertical part of the front plate (this setup is actually designed for a special cleat). It's much flatter and a fair bit more comfortable, but the main aim was to reduce rocking torque (Imagine pedaling with big blocks of wood under your feet). Although it's a bit slippy now, so I've been meaning to get around to applying some skateboard grip tape.

Normal:

Modified:

Here are the cleats:

Old 06-27-18, 02:49 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

By the way, if anybody's keen on those cleats, https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/163118872271
Old 06-27-18, 11:33 AM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
I've modified the pair on the TCR by shaving the rear plate a few mm and removing the vertical part of the front plate (this setup is actually designed for a special cleat). It's much flatter and a fair bit more comfortable, but the main aim was to reduce rocking torque (Imagine pedaling with big blocks of wood under your feet). Although it's a bit slippy now, so I've been meaning to get around to applying some skateboard grip tape.
Ah, I can see how shaving down the rear plate would help a lot. That was where I was getting all my discomfort when using them with casual shoes (no cleats). Maybe I will try that, but I sort of hate to experiment with a couple of nice examples.
Old 07-02-18, 02:41 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Originally Posted by robertorolfo
Ah, I can see how shaving down the rear plate would help a lot. That was where I was getting all my discomfort when using them with casual shoes (no cleats). Maybe I will try that, but I sort of hate to experiment with a couple of nice examples.
With 105 and above, it wouldn't be too hard to make your own rear plates. Same with the front plates.
Old 07-02-18, 09:37 AM
AlmostGreenGuy
Intrepid Bicycle Commuter

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, Austro Daimler 'Ultima', 2012 Salsa Vaya, 2009 Trek 4300, Fyxation Eastside, State Matte Black 6, '97 Trek 930 SHX, '93 Specialized Rockhopper, 1990 Trek 950

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 34 Posts

The idea is to get a no-compromise race bike, and compromise it just enough so you can just hop on it and go, with no mucking around with shoes and lycra. But since the advent of clipless pedals, it's quite apparent that virtually nobody shares this idea with me.
I own a ton of bikes, but not a single pair of clipless pedals. My road bikes all use toe clips and straps, or nylon platform straps. I guess I'll never be the guy that looks likes he's walking in dutch wooden clogs, whenever he gets off his bike. LOL

In truth, most of my decisions in life are made with a modicum of convenience in mind, and clipless just isn't convenient for me at all. Toeclips are convenient as all get-up, and are frankly easier to get into than my nylon platform straps. I can be wearing my Chuck Taylors and a pair of running shorts, and be riding in 30 seconds.

Old 12-12-18, 10:15 AM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
MKS makes the "Ezy Superior" platform pedal, designed for street shoes, with a giant kick-up claw, designed for use with toeclips. They also make amazing (and spendy) toe clips made of stainless rod, so there are no sharp edges to mar your street shoes.
Old 12-12-18, 10:27 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 1,040 Posts
The closest I've seen folks get is the minimalist courier-inspired fixie peeps; and after that craze died down it sadly appears they were mostly just bandwagoners without any deep appreciation for what they were doing.
What were the "fixie peeps" doing that was worth deeply appreciating? Good riddance to that "craze."
Old 12-13-18, 08:39 AM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
This is what I use

MKS Half Cage on SR SP-11 pedals (the latter are original to my 1985 Trek 720).

Old 12-13-18, 04:26 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Original

Originally Posted by desconhecido
My favorite traditional style repro
quill pedal. I don't know how sexy they are, but they are nicely made and attractive and work well. Inexpensive, too.
My Long Distance touring pedals ate the Steel Campag Record, Iv.e had for 40 years..
Old 12-14-18, 01:16 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4334 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts

I don't know if these are sexy. But they're much better for tennis shoes with flexible soles than are the kind with cages or quills or teeth. I'd maybe like them even a little wider for my Neanderthal feet.
Old 12-14-18, 01:32 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
The problem with toe clips is you cannot confuse newbs by clipping into clipless pedals.
Old 12-14-18, 06:46 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,862 Times in 1,439 Posts
For me, the problem with toe clips is the awful scraping sound they make for the first 10-20 pedal stokes as I kick at one of the pedals trying to get my foot into the clip.

I somehow missed the toe clip era the first time around. I grew up in that era, but my bikes were too cheap for fancy pedals like that. I used toe clips for the first time last year preparing for L'Eroica California. After a few weeks I got to the point where I could use them with only minimal embarrassment. The worst part is that I couldn't find clips that my regular street shoes fit into, so the toe clips don't even save me having to change shoes.

Those half clips that revcp showed might work for me, but do they actually provide any significant foot retention? The problem I have with bare platform pedals is that my foot is constantly sliding off the pedal because I've become so accustomed to clipless.
Old 12-18-18, 10:16 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Suntour Superbe pedals....The "X Body" ones.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sunt...Xbp0CsQs2U010M

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Last edited by Homebrew01; 12-18-18 at 10:22 PM.
Old 12-20-18, 12:58 AM
suncruiser

Bikes: 2015 Trek District 8, 2017 Salsa Vaya Claris, 2012 SE Draft

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Honestly I love the look of toe clips and ride strapless ones on my bike. I don't know the brand of mine, got them at a local shop and they weren't branded so...

Best image i have of them at the moment.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.