Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

All Things FUJI

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

All Things FUJI

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-18, 08:37 AM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 53 Posts
Gorgeous, I love the brown tape and saddle with that emerald green.

Scott

IG @scottryder.surf.cycle
IG @scottryder.fine.art

Old 11-06-18, 12:58 PM
PugRider

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.7C, Shogun Metro AT, Jamis Durango SX, Miyata Alumicross, Fuji Special Road Racer, Mongoose ATB, Fuji SST 1.0 Team, Gitane (?), Specialized Rockhopper SS, Univega Gran Turismo, Univega Supra Sport Mixte, Nishiki Tri-A, Diamondback Coil

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottRyder
Gorgeous, I love the brown tape and saddle with that emerald green.

Scott
Thanks! I'm a sucker for the brown tape/saddle combo; the saddle is a Charge Spoon, it came highly recommended on the intertubes, and it is quite a comfortable saddle for the price.
Old 11-09-18, 03:18 PM
greg3rd48 

Bikes: '19 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.5, '72 Peugeot PX10, '71ish Gitane Super Corsa, '78 Fuji Newest, '89 Fuji Ace, '94 Cannondale R600, early '70s LeJeune Pro project

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 101 Posts
I haven't got my copy yet. : (

Know anybody in high places?

Scott
Unfortunately I do not... I do have my most recent and modern addition to my Fuji stable however. No, it is not classic, steel or vintage but it is a heck of a bike and I am thoroughly impressed with the ride quality and handling. I took it on a 31 mile shakedown ride yesterday. Ohh and no worries my love of riding C&V is going nowhere.

Old 12-07-18, 10:32 AM
scale

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Any early 70s The Finest owners out there .....what is your seat post size? Mine has a 26.4 in it but it is tight around the clamp area and im thinking the seatube clamp area where it inserts into the frame has been deformed a bit. I know some of the later ones....were 26.8.
This is specifically a low number K6 serial numbered frameset. Any K6 owners do me a favor and measure your seat post size or check it for me i would appreciate it.
Old 12-07-18, 12:01 PM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

26.4 Nitto Crip Rider seatpost on my 73 Finest.

Scott

IG @scottryder.fine.art

Old 12-07-18, 12:08 PM
scale

26.4 Nitto Crip Rider seatpost on my 73 Finest.

Scott
Thanks. That is probably the correct size then....just a bit tight.

.....and then i followed your signature links..........read all your blogs.......and ordered the book. AMAZING stuff. Hats off to you for the fantastic work.

Last edited by scale; 12-07-18 at 05:06 PM.
Old 12-08-18, 08:02 AM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

Originally Posted by scale
Thanks. That is probably the correct size then....just a bit tight.

.....and then i followed your signature links..........read all your blogs.......and ordered the book. AMAZING stuff. Hats off to you for the fantastic work.
wow, thank you so much!!! We have a Google group if you'd like to participate ... lots of good info on Fuji's

Cheers,

Scott

IG @scottryder.fine.art

Old 12-09-18, 09:08 AM
scale

wow, thank you so much!!! We have a Google group if you'd like to participate ... lots of good info on Fuji's

Cheers,

Scott
I will probably join.
I must say...i got the book 1 day after i ordered it and i havent put it down yet. Those photos are amazing! I love how you laid everything out and the history is great. It clears up a lot of questions i have had.....and i really love how you included Lotus, and time lines on SR, Suntour, Sugino and even Tange and the various tubing types and thicknesses. This thing is this a must have. I expected it to be a small / thinner book but it is a huge thick coffee table style book with a nice thick cover and heavy glossy pages. I cant praise your passion enough to put this together for people like me. I grew up in the 80s and remember all the nice road bikes id see even as a young kid but as i got older the history of all of it has been a bit fuzzy. I love going through old magazine ads and such looking at the components and trying to learn about them. I find it amazing how companies were able to make such detailed function gear without computers. The fluting and engraving....and just the detail of it all is amazing. Just looking at a Cyclone rear mech is something to behold. Even with a bike in a stand running through the gears and watching it all work, i am just amazed and wonder how in the world did this get invented/designed. Oh......and you can get on it and drive it around too

Again.....Very very nice work.....and thank you.
Old 12-09-18, 03:23 PM
scale

Hopefully this is ok to post here being that it is a Fuji thread. Anyone know the crown race diameter on a k6 the finest? My fork is out and i can pop mine off if the answer is no. I thought i would ask first before going to the trouble. Also.....what is length of the rear dropout alignment screws. Mine are missing and id like to get some replacements if for no other reason than to complete the look. I assume the threading is all the same on those small things. MY dropouts are not suntour....they are "Yukon Cold Forged" The adjuster screws and springs appear to be available online in many different lengths from 30mm to 40mm etc.
Old 12-10-18, 06:40 AM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

Hopefully this is ok to post here being that it is a Fuji thread. Anyone know the crown race diameter on a k6 the finest? My fork is out and i can pop mine off if the answer is no. I thought i would ask first before going to the trouble. Also.....what is length of the rear dropout alignment screws. Mine are missing and id like to get some replacements if for no other reason than to complete the look. I assume the threading is all the same on those small things. MY dropouts are not suntour....they are "Yukon Cold Forged" The adjuster screws and springs appear to be available online in many different lengths from 30mm to 40mm etc.

Scale, not sure if the length of the dropout screw is too much of a worry from a historical standpoint .. I looked at the ones on mine and they're a hair over 30mm. I've always ridden with the wheel pulled all the way back in the dropouts so I don't need anything any longer. Also, check close on the wording on the dropout, is it Yuko not Yukon?

Send me a pm with your email address, I'll forward an invite to Fuji land.

Scott

IG @scottryder.fine.art

Old 12-13-18, 07:07 AM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

Tomorrow evening in Philadelphia, come by and say hi and see some rare vintage Fujis. Meet some Fuji people too! Beer.

IG @scottryder.fine.art

Old 12-14-18, 06:28 PM
05 fuji
Cancer survivor (twice)

Bikes: 2020 Trek Verve 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 74 Posts

2005 Fuji Cambridge - bought new
Old 12-16-18, 03:00 PM
Glenzilla

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
Thought I'd repost this now that I've got it done. As seen it's a respectable 22 lbs 10 ozs and are really nice ride.

Looks awesome. If I were to be looking for a bike like this? What is usually a fair price? I’ve got an ‘85 Espree that looks like it came right out of the catalog. I know it’s definitely not the best road bike Fuji has, but it’s enough to get me hooked.
Old 12-16-18, 03:06 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,981 Times in 1,775 Posts
Originally Posted by Glenzilla

Looks awesome. If I were to be looking for a bike like this? What is usually a fair price? I’ve got an ‘85 Espree that looks like it came right out of the catalog. I know it’s definitely not the best road bike Fuji has, but it’s enough to get me hooked.

Well, I think I sold this for $350 if I remember correctly. It went fast once I listed it. A lot has to do with condition and such. Like I had new saddle, chain, tires, tubes and bar tape on this as well as having it all serviced for the new owner. I probably could have gotten another $100 or more if I had tried.

Still selling this vintage rides can be so subjective. You just never know what someone is willing to pay.
Old 12-17-18, 12:19 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
This is a cross-post of sorts, from the November "Gr(e/a)y bikes" thread. Dude on CL was selling an '89 Del Rey in the "bike parts" section, just because the front wheel had been stolen. Did need more work, four broken spokes on the NDS (WTF?) on the rear, and generally unloved. Rear wheel might be a replacement; has a Shimano freewheel. But I got it for a song, and had a close-match 27" front wheel in the basement. Even came with the Blackburn rack.

As advertised on CL:

Cleaned up, ditched the positively skeevy (but original!) Viscount saddle, full lube, etc.

Has a nice short top tube for such a tall bike, so it's actually a nice fit for me ("shortback"). I've seen people rag on the Suntour Edge / DiaCompe Blaze bits, but so far they're doing just fine for me. Even the index stops are hitting the cogs on the Shimano freewhel just fine.

I just love the Fuji headbadge. And if you look close, the head tube is painted a SLIGHTLY contrasting color.

Oh, I've since swapped on a Fuji branded saddle that I happened to have on a Schwinn Criss-Cross from about the same year. No photos.

Last edited by madpogue; 05-28-19 at 09:41 AM.
Old 12-17-18, 05:31 PM
Glenzilla

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
Well, I think I sold this for $350 if I remember correctly. It went fast once I listed it. A lot has to do with condition and such. Like I had new saddle, chain, tires, tubes and bar tape on this as well as having it all serviced for the new owner. I probably could have gotten another $100 or more if I had tried.

Still selling this vintage rides can be so subjective. You just never know what someone is willing to pay.
Well, talk about timing, I was able to find a 56 cm black/flamingo one for $100! Thanks for the advice. I’ll fix this one up and keep it for a bit
Old 01-13-19, 10:30 AM
kross57

Bikes: Miyata 710, Univega Viva Sport, Centurion LeMans, Peugeot U09

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 80 Posts
Got a great deal on a Fuji Team. Changed the aero brakes to non-aero, lubed it up, replaced cables and tires. Added a high Nitto stem and new bar tape. Still unsure about choice of pedals and a saddle, so I put on some placeholders for now. Can't wait for spring!

Before.

After.
Old 01-13-19, 10:32 AM
scale

wow...thats a beauty!
Old 01-13-19, 04:05 PM
kross57

wow...thats a beauty!
Thanks!
Old 01-13-19, 07:20 PM
rickrob 

Bikes: 75 Raleigh Gran Sport, 88 Bridgestone RB3, 72 Raleigh Super Course, 75 Jeunet 620, 95 Fuji Team

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
I just finished putting this bike together. It's a 1995 Fuji Team. It now has Shimano 105 Cranks, Brakes, Derailluers (5500), RSX Brifters and Exage Hubs , and a Kinesis Aluminum fork. Built up new wheels with Alex R450 Rims and Sapim Stainless Spokes. That all replaced the Suntour Cyclone and LePree Components , DiaCompe Brakes, Miyata / SR Crank, and the Tange Steel fork that came with the bike. The original back wheel had a flat spot.

I tried to get it back close to the original specs, or maybe even a little better.

After:

Before:
Old 01-29-19, 08:02 AM
kross57

Finished! For now, anyway. New bar tape, tires, saddle, pedals, stem, cables, and plenty of elbow grease. Can't wait for some decent weather to get it on the road.

Old 01-29-19, 08:59 AM
scale

Wow....thats nice.
Old 03-18-19, 07:20 PM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked 3,467 Times in 999 Posts
Just scored this 1972 Fuji S10-S. It looks likes it's been ridden only inside the house on Sundays! $100

WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Old 03-19-19, 06:06 AM
kross57

Wow....thats nice.
It's amazing how many bikes sit, virtually untouched, for decades. Nice find!
Old 03-24-19, 07:32 PM
PizzaPi4Me

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

1986 Saratoga, snagged for $50 all original. Dropped another $150 in various upgrades. Love this bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.