Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

E-MTB or E-Hybrid?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

E-MTB or E-Hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-18, 06:31 AM
rgsby

Bikes: Norco Search Carbon 2017

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
E-MTB or E-Hybrid?

Last time I posted on here (a couple of years ago), I was looking at a Giant E-MTB. In the end, I compromised and got a nice gravel bike (as I wanted to put it on the roof-rack and I'm not a weight-lifter). However, I am not getting any younger and am not enjoying my commute - it's not a long way but has some severe hills and pot-holed roads that my old body struggles with. So, given these requirements would people recommend an Electric Mountain Bike or an Electric Hybrid. I am possibly looking at a Scott E-Scale 710 MTB or a Scott E-SUB Cross 10 Hybrid.
Thanks...
Old 07-25-18, 08:25 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 622 Posts
They're both mid-drives so get the one that's most comfortable. There's not too many good reasons not to get the (probably slightly heavier) MTB since you'll have the motor.
Old 07-25-18, 10:22 AM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
How about a trailer hitch and a rear rack? I couldn't be putting bikes on the roof anymore. I did it in the early 90's.
Old 07-26-18, 02:05 AM
rgsby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc_Wui
How about a trailer hitch and a rear rack? I couldn't be putting bikes on the roof anymore. I did it in the early 90's.
Yes, it's an option, though we don't have a tow-bar and Audi wanted an extortionate amount to fit one (I could go independent I suppose). Conversely, we already have roof racks and 4 cycle carriers...
Old 07-26-18, 02:12 AM
rgsby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
They're both mid-drives so get the one that's most comfortable. There's not too many good reasons not to get the (probably slightly heavier) MTB since you'll have the motor.
Yes, that's probably where I was going. While it's primarily for commuting, I can imagine, if it starts to make the hills more of a pleasure, that I could easily find myself on more varied terrain and then I might regret not getting the MTB
Old 07-26-18, 06:11 AM
donheff

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by rgsby
Yes, it's an option, though we don't have a tow-bar and Audi wanted an extortionate amount to fit one (I could go independent I suppose). Conversely, we already have roof racks and 4 cycle carriers...
The Audi price may have been for a towing package that includes a lot of modifications. A hitch from U-Haul works fine for bikes and is cheap.
Old 07-27-18, 09:57 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Liked 3,697 Times in 2,518 Posts
OTOH, if it does involve upgrading things other than the tow bar, the towing package might be worth doing. For example, an oil cooler. Otherwise, the aftermarket tow bars are usually pretty good.

I think an eMTB is a good idea. You should be able to get one with rack and fender mounts, and you can always put slicks on it if you find yourself mostly riding on the road. My current plans involve converting an mtb frame to electric
Old 07-28-18, 12:03 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Hunters have been the 1st ones to go for electric motor conversions on MTB.. here..
Old 07-28-18, 01:17 PM
rgsby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Focus Raven2?

Was looking at a few option and noticed this bike claiming to be only 13.5kg!! Can that be for real?! It's a silly price of course. Does anyone have any experience of it?
Old 07-28-18, 03:08 PM
badangel

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
are all these about e bike ?
Old 07-29-18, 06:32 AM
rgsby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by badangel
are all these about e bike ?
Yup!
​​​​​​
Old 08-07-18, 06:38 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by rgsby
Last time I posted on here (a couple of years ago), I was looking at a Giant E-MTB. In the end, I compromised and got a nice gravel bike (as I wanted to put it on the roof-rack and I'm not a weight-lifter). However, I am not getting any younger and am not enjoying my commute - it's not a long way but has some severe hills and pot-holed roads that my old body struggles with. So, given these requirements would people recommend an Electric Mountain Bike or an Electric Hybrid. I am possibly looking at a Scott E-Scale 710 MTB or a Scott E-SUB Cross 10 Hybrid.
Thanks...
Wow, you got a nice gravel bike! Bummer it doesn't give you what you want. For comfort, I just cram big tires on there, & go tubeless. At 30 psi, its going to be about as comfortable as a mountain bike. Actually, my (and several others) gravel bike is more comfortable than a nice mountain bike. I assume that its because mountain bikes are designed to be jumped, while a gravel bike is not. For extra cush (in my older bikes), I sometimes use a thud-buster seat post. Nice and cush!

I'm assuming you don't want to electrify your carbon bike, so that doesn't really address the hills.
Old 08-07-18, 11:03 AM
rgsby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
'm assuming you don't want to electrify your carbon bike, so that doesn't really address the hills.
i did think about it - the superpedestrian Copenhagen wheel appealed but I think I will just keep the gravel bike for family rides (I don't yet need assistance to keep up with my 7-year daughter!) and get the eMTB for commuting and solo riding
Old 08-07-18, 11:06 AM
rgsby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My (possibly) last quandary is whether to go for 27.5 or 29" wheels...
Old 12-10-18, 11:07 PM
BrocLuno

Bikes: K2 (Marzocchi/Fox), Trek 6000 (red) MARS Elite up front, Specialized Hardrock Sport -> eBike (R7 Elite up front), lastly TREK 820 loaner. Recently sold Peugeot du Monde Record and 1956 Schwinn (owned since new).

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
27.5" being slightly smaller is easier on the drive train. If going mid-drive that may have factored all that in.

But, since you will not really be using it as a true MTB, why not look at options?

I'm converting a Specialized Hardrock Sport (hardtail) into an e-Bike. I junked the useless heavy front fork for a nice used Manitou R7 that took more than 2 lbs off the bike and is much more supple and responsive. I'll install a Thud-Buster suspension seatpost to help with the hits to the rear end. And I'm running a Schwalbe Fat Frank in the rear. At 40 psi it'll absorb quite a bit before it even gets to the seatpost

Point being, you can kit build a commuter around a nice sturdy MTB frame (this one is aluminum). With the battery out, it's prolly liftable to a roof rack. Certainly it'll go onto a bike carrier on the back (hitch mount). And the ride is very decent on rough'ish roads.

I'm using a TSZD2 mid-drive that has built-in torque sensing crank spindle so it's pretty intuitive and natural. No throttle, so pretty much Class 1

Kits are here: TSZD2 Kits
Old 12-17-18, 04:12 AM
rgsby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BrocLuno
27.5" being slightly smaller is easier on the drive train. If going mid-drive that may have factored all that in.

But, since you will not really be using it as a true MTB, why not look at options?

I'm converting a Specialized Hardrock Sport (hardtail) into an e-Bike. I junked the useless heavy front fork for a nice used Manitou R7 that took more than 2 lbs off the bike and is much more supple and responsive. I'll install a Thud-Buster suspension seatpost to help with the hits to the rear end. And I'm running a Schwalbe Fat Frank in the rear. At 40 psi it'll absorb quite a bit before it even gets to the seatpost

Point being, you can kit build a commuter around a nice sturdy MTB frame (this one is aluminum). With the battery out, it's prolly liftable to a roof rack. Certainly it'll go onto a bike carrier on the back (hitch mount). And the ride is very decent on rough'ish roads.

I'm using a TSZD2 mid-drive that has built-in torque sensing crank spindle so it's pretty intuitive and natural. No throttle, so pretty much Class 1

Kits are here: TSZD2 Kits
Hi. Thanks for the response. I actually bit the bullet back in August and got a Focus Bold2 29. So far it's only been used for commuting, other city (still very hilly) riding and a couple of easy trails that I can get to from home. I've not really solved the transportation question as I've not taken it anywhere to ride. That said, I love it and while it might be a little over-specified for a commute is great at the job. With hindsight, I'm glad I went for the MTB rather than the Hybrid...
Old 12-17-18, 05:34 PM
BrocLuno

Bikes: K2 (Marzocchi/Fox), Trek 6000 (red) MARS Elite up front, Specialized Hardrock Sport -> eBike (R7 Elite up front), lastly TREK 820 loaner. Recently sold Peugeot du Monde Record and 1956 Schwinn (owned since new).

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nice bike, good on you

I get that the MFG's are really trying to make most MTB's versatile. They have to climb and descend. The climbing bit is where the chassis design becomes street friendly. So they ride OK on the street, if they are not strict DH bikes. A motor helps, but rolling resistance is not good for either you or the battery ...

All my MTB's have cross purpose tires now. None would be good a actual shredding down a Black Diamond trail anymore. The tires are way to compromised. But they are good on gravel, smaller roots & rocks, and pavement. And since they are now "family" bikes, that's the way they'll stay for the foreseeable ...

The combo on the Hardrock Sport (Schwalbe Marathon up front, Fat Frank out back) is really good on most surfaces. Not great in mud, or slippery wet leaves, etc. But short of that, they work pretty well on most everything. And they are not hard to pump on the street when aired up

The other bikes are a bit less able all around, but still good. It's a bit of a hunt to find the best compromise with only one set of wheels... If two sets of wheels, you can have dedicated street tires that roll easy, and dedicated "country" tires that do trails really well

Last edited by BrocLuno; 12-17-18 at 05:38 PM.