Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Texas
Reload this Page >

Houston Area Bike Commuters

Notices

Houston Area Bike Commuters

Old 11-14-16, 08:39 AM
Tombaatar

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Sequoia, 99 Gary Fisher Aquila, 88 Diamondback Apex, 89 Trek 400, 85 Specialized Rock Hopper, 86 Peugeot Triathlon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Old 01-18-17, 10:59 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Looks like the Westchase area is ramping up construction on off-road MUPs and eventually some improved on-street bike lanes. Most are short <1-2 mile stretches or connectors, but it's a start.
There's a public hearing on the future of this Mobility Plan so if you live/work in the area please try to attend or get your voice heard: Public Comment on Mobility Plan through Jan. 15 - Westchase District

There's a whole powerpoint with the maps and stuff on their site somewhere too but I can't find it today - maybe someone else will have better luck.
It looks like a great start to improving connectivity especially along such a heavily trafficked area.
Old 01-22-17, 10:01 PM
bart0

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking to increase commute distance between Heights and Tanglewood (Houston). Ideas?

Hey Houston bikers!

I have a commute I take to work from The Heights to Tanglewood which is 8.5–9miles depending on how I get around memorial park. Main streets I take are White Oak westward to Heights Blvd, h soutto Washington, west to Memorial Drive (bike path), then after 610 West underpass I ride west parallel to Woodway until I hit Bering (sorry for the lengthy description, new forum members can't post URLs).

I'm wanting to increase this gradually over the next few months. Does anyone have a similar commute or could suggest some extra streets I could add? I typically leave early, between 5:30-6am and I'd prefer not to ride east if I can avoid it. Maybe north/south on a few extra streets that are safe and in decent shape.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Old 01-25-17, 10:42 AM
bkj

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
take some laps on the picnic loop in Memorial Park. Or try (heading west) the Heights trail to the White Oak trail, then west on W11th to W 12th (get creative), get under 610 somehow, then south on N Post Oak Rd, jog west to N Post Oak Lane, continue south to Woodway.
Old 02-15-17, 05:08 PM
tripelM

Bikes: '91 Specialized Hard Rock, 2017 Priority Classic 2 Gotham Edition

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New Commuter in Clear Lake area

Hi! I'm on the SE side of town in the Clear Lake area. Started following along here today and on ****** in a few of the bicycling subs earlier this week. I started commuting about a week ago after reading some Mr. Money Mustache blog stuff. The weather is reasonable in the winter here, my office is only about 6 miles away, why am I not doing this already? Houston is such a car (or SUV and truck) kinda town.

I ride through some Clear Lake neighborhoods including some bayous and "Exploration Green" which is still being developed (very slowly). Eventually I end up on Hwy 3 (Old Galveston Road) and ride on the shoulder up to Ellington Field. The crossings at the railways and getting onto Hwy 3 is a little less than ideal. I'm learning lots of things.

I have been riding my 1991 Specialized Hard Rock (hard tail MTB), but I got a new bike Monday (Priority Gotham - 3 spd IGH, Gates Carbon Belt Drive) and put it together Monday, painted some fenders and put those on last night. Gonna prob take it to an LBS for caliper and fender tuning - not happy with the clearances/fitment after I meddled with it. The fender struts are pushing it off center and I couldn't get that lined up after tinkering for about 30 minutes. Looking forward to riding some more Friday (assuming I can get the bike in and out of the LBS by then).
Old 04-19-17, 02:22 PM
draco159

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey everyone!

Future Energy Corridor (Eldridge/Westheimer) to Galleria area commuter here. No idea on route just yet as I still have plenty of time to decide, but for sure know what roads I'm not taking haha. Office is moving to that location later this year so I can finally commute. Working on getting the stamina up since it's been a pretty decent chunk of time since I've done long rides.

Bike is a 2014 Scott Scale 970 hardtail mtb converted to 1X and rigid on Big Apples with extended Mudhugger fenders (full fenders didn't fit frame geometry but I improvised a bit). I'll be sure and put a pic up later. Look forward to either tagging along with a group headed that way or bumping into a few of you guys/gals along the way!
Old 04-19-17, 04:11 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Originally Posted by draco159
Hey everyone!

Future Energy Corridor (Eldridge/Westheimer) to Galleria area commuter here. No idea on route just yet as I still have plenty of time to decide, but for sure know what roads I'm not taking haha. Office is moving to that location later this year so I can finally commute. Working on getting the stamina up since it's been a pretty decent chunk of time since I've done long rides.

Bike is a 2014 Scott Scale 970 hardtail mtb converted to 1X and rigid on Big Apples with extended Mudhugger fenders (full fenders didn't fit frame geometry but I improvised a bit). I'll be sure and put a pic up later. Look forward to either tagging along with a group headed that way or bumping into a few of you guys/gals along the way!
ooh that could be rough. I suppose it depends where in the Galleria area you're bound for, but from Eldridge/Westheimer your best bet is..............um....head up to Briar Forest -> San Felipe all the way?? BUT there's just a gutter for a bike lane so you're taking a decent risk.
That's also a pretty decent length ride as well.
I don't think you'll find many folks commuting down those roads on a regular basis. I drive it when I don't ride (at least from Eldridge to BWY8) and I'd say on average I see about 10 riders a year....and I mean I see 10 people over the course of 1 year. Not repeating.
Just make sure to get some powerful tail lights that blink distinctly.
Old 04-20-17, 06:38 AM
draco159

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by the sci guy
ooh that could be rough. I suppose it depends where in the Galleria area you're bound for, but from Eldridge/Westheimer your best bet is..............um....head up to Briar Forest -> San Felipe all the way?? BUT there's just a gutter for a bike lane so you're taking a decent risk.
That's also a pretty decent length ride as well.
I don't think you'll find many folks commuting down those roads on a regular basis. I drive it when I don't ride (at least from Eldridge to BWY8) and I'd say on average I see about 10 riders a year....and I mean I see 10 people over the course of 1 year. Not repeating.
Just make sure to get some powerful tail lights that blink distinctly.
Yeah it's a bit hairy for sure, I'm bound for Sage at the furthest. That Briar Forest bike lane is a joke, I drive that way very frequently too. I should add that commuting by car with my fiance who works in the same area is my default, I just would prefer to get the exercise in honestly. Ideally I'll hit up some suburb small streets or extend my route a bit, I'm still looking it all over. Safety for sure is top priority over the commute time.

The sidewalks all that way are so far out of safe travel shape too, it's really sad the City will not fix the concrete timely much less keep the grass from being a jungle covering the sidewalks for those that simply walk to bus stops (which I used to do too).
Old 04-20-17, 10:47 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Study shows that cycling to work could cut risk of cancer by 45 percent
Old 06-21-17, 10:55 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

On my ride to work, I get out of THP eastbound at Kirkwood, as the park is closed beyond that. I ride the sidewalk southbound on Kirkwood for about 200 yards (this includes the bridge over THP and the bayou) until I get to a side street, at which I cross Kirkwood and continue through the neighbhorhoods. I do not ride in the "bike lane" on Kirkwood because it is very busy in the morning, and like most of the "death gutters" it is full of debris, rocks, glass, and sewer grates - even for that very short time.

This morning there was a man walking his dog over the bridge. I announced twice very loudly as I approached from behind. After the 2nd time he stopped, turned, and had a confrontational tone from the get go. It was at this point that I realized he probably heard my first call out, but ignored it. I could tell by the look he made as he turned around to talk to me. I don't remember every word he said (I do remember what I said), but it went something along these lines:

*Man points to road*: You've got a lane right there, you should be
there."
ME: "Yes sir I know, but it is unsafe so I do not ride in it."
Man: "It's a city ordinance, get on the road. (he kept going for a little longer...)
ME: "Sir, it's not a city ordinance, I can use the sidewalk if I feel unsafe."
Man: "It's a city ordinance. There's the lane right there."
ME: "Sir, I just want to go around you."
Man: "No, it's a city ordinance," ---something something I don't remember
ME: "Sir, it's not a city ordinance. It's unsafe to ride in that lane."
Man: *begins to turn around* "I'm not moving." *walks away*

So I stepped my bike down off the high curb onto the street, and rode past. There is a ramp in the curb at the end of the bridge so I used it to get back on the sidewalk in front of him. As I am doing this he yells "I'm calling the Constables Office!"
I shouted back "Good luck!" - I should have added: "They'll tell you the same thing I told you!"

I make it a point to always be respectful when talking with people like this (this includes motorists). I never raised my voice nor took at argumentative tone. I will admit that after he turned and started walking away and I was stepping down off the sidewalk onto the road I said "Fine, if you want to be a dick about it." under my breath, but that was mostly out of frustration, and he had already ended the conversation.

The point I really want to make is the man was wrong.

Here are the Houston city bike ordinances regarding sidewalks:
Sec. 45-302. Riding on sidewalks.
(a) No person shall ride a bicycle upon a sidewalk within a business district.
(b) The traffic engineer is authorized to erect signs on any sidewalk outside a business district prohibiting the riding of bicycles thereon by any person and, when such signs are in place, no person shall disobey the same.
(c) Whenever any person is riding a bicycle upon a sidewalk, such person shall yield the right-of-way to any pedestrian and shall give audible signal before overtaking and passing any pedestrian.

A & B do not apply here. C does, and as I said I called out "on your left" twice, loudly, and he obviously heard me.
Old 06-26-17, 06:36 AM
Tombaatar

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Sequoia, 99 Gary Fisher Aquila, 88 Diamondback Apex, 89 Trek 400, 85 Specialized Rock Hopper, 86 Peugeot Triathlon

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by the sci guy

This morning there was a man walking his dog over the bridge. I announced twice very loudly as I approached from behind. After the 2nd time he stopped, turned, and had a confrontational tone from the get go. It was at this point that I realized he probably heard my first call out, but ignored it. I could tell by the look he made as he turned around to talk to me. I don't remember every word he said (I do remember what I said), but it went something along these lines:
I have a friend that lives and bike commutes out there and he has run into this person as well. Sounds like a good ass kicking is in order.
Old 12-05-17, 06:23 AM
SAGit

Bikes: CAAD9

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bicycle Interstate in Houston?

I saw this discussion in another Houston forum which was not familiar to me. I thought it might be relevant in this thread.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/houston/2173345-bicycle-interstates-using-utility-rows.html
Old 12-05-17, 04:48 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Yeah that's been discussed a lot on Facebook and forums and brought up a bunch on Facebook by Bike Houston and others. I don't know why they won't just do it either. But as usual just bureaucratic BS getting in the way. It's a great idea and I can think of a bunch of places in this area that would be perfect for.
Old 12-06-17, 07:18 AM
Tombaatar

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by bkj
Daily commuter here. I live near the Railyard bar on San Felipe inside loop 610 and work in the near north side close to St. Arnold brewery. My route from home is north to get to the trail at Woodway which takes me all the way into downtown. From there a short jog on the Heights trail at UH Downtown and east through the neighborhood to the office. 11 miles each way. It's 7 miles if I go through River Oaks, but that's not enough riding & I prefer the longer route. The return route is basically the same. My commuter bikes are a Salsa Vaya and a Sam Hillborne.
I have passed you in the opposite direction many times at UHD. I'm on a sage colored Sequoia.
Old 12-06-17, 12:10 PM
bkj

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
say howdy next time! I'll watch for you too.
Old 11-15-18, 04:11 PM
bravotwozero

Bikes: Raleigh cadent i8

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in the clear lake area, which is in southeast houston, about 30 miles southeast of downtown. commute is 4 miles each way, mostly on designated bike lanes. I once had a deer run right along side me while commuting to work in the early morning. Was surreal. My ride is a raleigh cadent i8 with a 8 speed alfine internal hub, belt drive, shimano hydraulic disc brakes, and a carbon fork.

Old 11-15-18, 04:46 PM
bravotwozero

Bikes: Raleigh cadent i8

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i bike east of the 45 where its known as nasa road. plenty of cyclists there, haven't felt unsafe.
Old 12-02-18, 11:06 AM
Demosthene

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi there. Not yet a bike commuter but it's a matter of weeks. I'll be using the white oak bayou trail from 43rd to Heights blvd twice a day.

I'm still in the process of selecting the bike, and finding appropriate gears, so any recommandation you may have about this is more than welcome.

Bike - That will be the first bike I chose, own and maintain in 20years. I look with envy at Cannondale quick 3 so far.
Gears - How do you carry all your stuff ? I guess it's nearly impossible in Houston weather to avoid a complet set of clothes. And I need to carry a 13inch computer + some minor stuff. Any recommandations ?
Safety - I have not yet ridden the trail. Should I anticipate no light, few light, heavy public lighting ? Is a high-visibility jacket mandatory by law, or heavily recommanded ? Something else I should know ?

Any help is welcome
Old 12-03-18, 07:55 AM
Tombaatar

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Demosthene
Hi there. Not yet a bike commuter but it's a matter of weeks. I'll be using the white oak bayou trail from 43rd to Heights blvd twice a day.

I'm still in the process of selecting the bike, and finding appropriate gears, so any recommandation you may have about this is more than welcome.

Bike - That will be the first bike I chose, own and maintain in 20years. I look with envy at Cannondale quick 3 so far.
Gears - How do you carry all your stuff ? I guess it's nearly impossible in Houston weather to avoid a complet set of clothes. And I need to carry a 13inch computer + some minor stuff. Any recommandations ?
Safety - I have not yet ridden the trail. Should I anticipate no light, few light, heavy public lighting ? Is a high-visibility jacket mandatory by law, or heavily recommanded ? Something else I should know ?

Any help is welcome
I ride from 43rd to downtown on that trail. It is a good safe route. Much of it is lighted but not all. I only wear a jacket in the winter, not required. Whenever I am riding around cars I have front and tail lights. Main thing to be aware is to be safe crossing streets at crosswalks. Press the button and wait for the signal. Be on the look out for cars turning right across the crosswalks. The drivers are often only looking the other direction for coming traffic and wont see you until you are on their hood.

As far as gear goes the bike is up to you but I would avoid bikes with shocks due to carrying the extra weight. If you want to buy a bike go to West End on Blossom and tell them your budget and use and they will hook you up. At all costs avoid Target/Walmart bikes. They are not safe. You would be better off looking on Craigslist. I prefer panniers to carry my clothes and lunch. Back backs are too hot in the summer IMO.

Happy Trails.
Old 12-03-18, 08:53 AM
Demosthene

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tombaatar
I ride from 43rd to downtown on that trail. It is a good safe route. Much of it is lighted but not all. I only wear a jacket in the winter, not required. Whenever I am riding around cars I have front and tail lights. Main thing to be aware is to be safe crossing streets at crosswalks. Press the button and wait for the signal. Be on the look out for cars turning right across the crosswalks. The drivers are often only looking the other direction for coming traffic and wont see you until you are on their hood.

As far as gear goes the bike is up to you but I would avoid bikes with shocks due to carrying the extra weight. If you want to buy a bike go to West End on Blossom and tell them your budget and use and they will hook you up. At all costs avoid Target/Walmart bikes. They are not safe. You would be better off looking on Craigslist. I prefer panniers to carry my clothes and lunch. Back backs are too hot in the summer IMO.

Happy Trails.
Maybe I'll see you on the trail then.
Thanks for all the tips. I'll go to West End.

Question, as a bike commuter in Houston : Is your bike safe when properly locked on an open business lot campus with security ? There is 3 or 4 other bike sitting at work, which is nothing for the thousands persons working there. Bike rack is not behind closed doors but definitly inside the campus, and there is security touring the place.
Old 12-03-18, 09:04 AM
Tombaatar

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Demosthene
Maybe I'll see you on the trail then.
Thanks for all the tips. I'll go to West End.

Question, as a bike commuter in Houston : Is your bike safe when properly locked on an open business lot campus with security ? There is 3 or 4 other bike sitting at work, which is nothing for the thousands persons working there. Bike rack is not behind closed doors but definitly inside the campus, and there is security touring the place.
I bring my bike up the freight elevator and leave it in my office. Lots of buildings have designated and secure bike parking, my work doesn't so I might not be the best person to answer this question but I would say a bike parked outside is never really safe. It only takes seconds to bust a lock. That said it seems like you have a pretty secure environment. Get a good lock or ask your boss if you can park it in a storage room or something like that.
Old 12-06-18, 06:21 AM
Demosthene

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Progressing : I just ordered a bike yesterday. I'm still figuring out gears & stuff but I should be riding daily the White oak bayou trail before the end of the month \o/
See you there.
Old 12-07-18, 12:10 PM
Mitkraft

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bravotwozero
I live in the clear lake area, which is in southeast houston, about 30 miles southeast of downtown. commute is 4 miles each way, mostly on designated bike lanes. I once had a deer run right along side me while commuting to work in the early morning. Was surreal. My ride is a raleigh cadent i8 with a 8 speed alfine internal hub, belt drive, shimano hydraulic disc brakes, and a carbon fork.
Nice Bike! I'm also in the Southeast part of town and commute a couple times a week. I try to do two round trips a week. Instead riding of home and back I drive in with my bike, computer & stuff, lunch for 2 days and clothes for the next day then I'll ride home, back the next morning, and shower at work. I ride from near the Pearland/Friendswood border into Clear Lake. It's a little over 12 miles each way. Here is my commuter rig in the back of my truck waiting to ride home:

Originally Posted by mtb_addict
A pedestrian got killed by hit-n-run car on 528 recently. I go by there on my way to work almost everyday. Unreal.
I know exactly where that was and I believe my mother-in-law drove by their shortly after the incident. She and my wife were both initially under the impression that it was a cyclist which renewed their fears about me riding on the roads.

Originally Posted by bravotwozero
i bike east of the 45 where its known as nasa road. plenty of cyclists there, haven't felt unsafe.
528/NASA Rd1 is a radically different story from one side of 45 to the other. East of 45 I ride it regularly and its mostly great. The bike lane is continuous (except for the bridge at Space Center to clear lake park where I take the sidewalk), well marked, and mostly observed. Much of that stretch is 30 mph which means traffic going about 40-45mph and even closer to Kemah where the limit goes up to 45 (and traffic goes up to 55) the drivers are generally decent. On the other side of 45 however, there is a decent, dangerous (IMHO) stretch with no bike lane from the freeway to Challenger (I think) where 6 lanes of cars are driving in a way I'm cautious to drive around much less cycle. Then the stretch from challenger to Bay Area does indeed have a bike lane however its a near free-for-all on speed since the limit is mostly 55mph with much of the traffic doing much more than that. I'm not personally comfortable in a 3 foot bike lane with no barrier between me and traffic doing 55-65mph.
Old 12-16-18, 08:40 PM
Demosthene

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First bike-commute tomorrow morning. Wave if you see me on white oak bayou trail/height blv
Old 12-17-18, 10:33 AM
SAGit

Bikes: CAAD9

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/psb/News/blue_lights.htm

Based on the Texas Trans. Code, only certain "motor vehicles" are allowed to use flashing lights. A bicycle is considered to be a vehicle but it is arguably not a "motor vehicle". I think I need to do more research for a definite answer.

To answer your question whether Texas LEOs care if cyclists use flashing light, I think that they care more about accident prevention and the visibility of cyclists (to reduce the number of accidents) than whether your bike is equipped with illegal safety lights.

I have been using the flashing blue/red light attached to the rear of my bike for the last 3 years.... including day time rides.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.