Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Ride Bikes, Give Blood

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Ride Bikes, Give Blood

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-17, 10:12 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Ride Bikes, Give Blood

There is a critical need for blood where I live and I'm sure the same is true elsewhere.

Cyclists tend to be in pretty good shape and we get so much enjoyment from our sport. Please consider giving something back by donating at your local university hospital blood bank, Red Cross or elsewhere. I'm going tomorrow for apheresis - platelet donation.

-Tim-
Old 09-07-17, 11:33 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
There is a critical need for blood where I live and I'm sure the same is true elsewhere.

Cyclists tend to be in pretty good shape and we get so much enjoyment from our sport. Please consider giving something back by donating at your local university hospital blood bank, Red Cross or elsewhere.I'm going tomorrow for apheresis - platelet donation.

-Tim-
One thing to note. If your resting heart rate is less than 50, they need a note from your doctor or they need to consult with one of their docs before they can take your blood.

Or do some quick exercises before they check you to get it high enough.

Have donated over 10 gallons over the years and being O neg, they always have a need.
Old 09-07-17, 11:37 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,551 Times in 7,330 Posts
I take blood thinners so I don't want to spare any, but I appreciate those who do give.
Old 09-07-17, 12:22 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
I gave up trying because the workers of the day were never on the same page if insulin dependent diabetics were or were not allowed to donate, but if you have the ability, do it!
Old 09-07-17, 12:26 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 917 Posts
They'll only allow me to donate every 8 weeks, so it'll be a little while. Think I'm working on my 8th gallon. Go O+!
Old 09-07-17, 12:27 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Originally Posted by Ogsarg
Have donated over 10 gallons over the years and being O neg, they always have a need.
I hope God rewards you for your gifts.

-Tim-
Old 09-07-17, 01:17 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I can't donate because I was in England in the early 1990's and they're afraid I might have mad cow disease.
Old 09-07-17, 01:19 PM
joelcool

Bikes: Road, Commuter, Mountain, Tandem and a couple others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 27 Posts
I donate plasma every week. I'm over 100 gallons donated now. I just don't ride my bike on the days I donate . I understand and respect that not everyone can - I can and do.
Old 09-07-17, 01:27 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
I donated platelets for years. And whole blood. Not any longer because each arm has now seen well over 100 of the spoke gauge needles the Red Cross uses. Platelets "count" as a pint of blood (only 5 oz of plasma are taken but ~5 pints are centrifuged and returned) so I am at around 19 gallons.

If I hear of an emergency call for B-, I'll step up, but not for a generic "we're low". (Might need my veins either for myself or to donate bone marrow.)

Edit: to the posters above with multiple donations, +1 !!

2nd edit: In my racing days, I wa giving platelets every two weeks. The nurses knew me well. I showed up once in the morning (after riding 3 miles) with a BP of 98 over 48. June, the nurse was disgusted! She falsified it to 100 over 50 knowing I was by far her fittest donor.

Ben

Last edited by 79pmooney; 09-07-17 at 01:32 PM.
Old 09-07-17, 01:35 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Yes, to you guys who have given gallons.

@79pmooney, are you in the National Marrow Donor Program registry? I had a daughter who had a bone marrow transplant from an unrelated NDMP registrant. It is cool that you rode your bike to donate blood.

That's another thing we can all do, look into registering to become a marrow donor.

https://www.ndmp.org

-Tim-
Old 09-07-17, 01:46 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
They'll only allow me to donate every 8 weeks, so it'll be a little while. Think I'm working on my 8th gallon. Go O+!
That's frequent enough to be alert for anemia issues. And/or to consider iron supplementation.

I've donated semi-regularly for 35+ years. Was doing it 4-5 times/year for several years until backing off to twice a year recently. The Red Cross and local blood center are relentless about calling over and over and over.
Old 09-07-17, 02:13 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Originally Posted by TimothyH
Yes, to you guys who have given gallons.

@79pmooney, are you in the National Marrow Donor Program registry? I had a daughter who had a bone marrow transplant from an unrelated NDMP registrant. It is cool that you rode your bike to donate blood.

That's another thing we can all do, look into registering to become a marrow donor.

https://www.ndmp.org

-Tim-
Yes. I was contacted once as a possible marrow donor but it never played out. In my every 2 week days of donating I spent some time with my platelets going to a patient undergoing a transplant. In those days, there was no "pool" so the marrow came from family but I have wanted to be one of those donors ever since.

Funny, this morning's reading of a daily meditation book was, in part "... Benny, a White man, was willing to give Frank, a Black man, a kidney, Frank wouldn't accept it. He had known Benny for three short weeks, Frank knew very little about Benny. But he knew Benny must have an agenda. Nobody gives away a kidney for nothing. Frank confronted Benny with his anger, suspicion and fear, Quietly Benny replied, "I know you like to go fishing. I know you are a good father and a loving husband, I know because that's what you've shown me. Based on what I've seen, I know you don't deserve to die. Frank accepted the kidney. Benny moved to Arizona and never saw Frank again." (Acts of Faith; Daily Meditations for people of Color, Sept 7)

Now I cannot give a person of color my bone marrow; the types are by race and genetics. I do encourage non-whites to get on that registry when I can. (I loved that former Portland Trailblazer Brian Grant was passionate about getting the blacks of Portland out to give blood, platelets and get on that registry.)

Ben (edit: typo)
Old 09-07-17, 08:28 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I am a 6-gallon donor with the Red Cross, although I stopped giving a few years ago because I couldn't handle being an invalid for a week afterward. I can say that there has NEVER been a time since I started giving at age 30 that the RC wasn't saying there was a critical shortage.
Old 09-07-17, 09:18 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I can't donate because I was in England in the early 1990's and they're afraid I might have mad cow disease.
I'm in the same boat. 2 years in Germany in the mid 80s....
Old 09-07-17, 09:19 PM
79pmooney

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I am a 6-gallon donor with the Red Cross, although I stopped giving a few years ago because I couldn't handle being an invalid for a week afterward. I can say that there has NEVER been a time since I started giving at age 30 that the RC wasn't saying there was a critical shortage.
Try giving platelets. The donation is a much bigger deal, both for you and the Red Cross. It takes far longer, requires a major piece of equipment to centrifuge your blood and return it and (on all the older and many of the current machines) two needles, one in each arm. But (and for some of us, this is big) you get all your red bloodcells back. You will feel a little woozy afterwards, but that is from the thinner they add to your blood so it doesn't clot on the return. That wooziness clears quickly. And there's another perk, one you will never see anywhere else unless money or payback is involved. If you need something, anything, and someone will get it for you, for the next two hours. Want your shirt button undone? Hungry? Thirsty? Someone will do or get what you want and put it in your mouth. Cold? They'll spread a warm blanket over you. Its fun. They do all this cheerfully and ask you to come back. I don't see that at home.

I got called at work for my first donation. That afternoon. I left work early and donated. It was Thursday, club race day. I rode to work planning to ride the club race that evening. The donation threw that idea out the window. So I settled for just riding out to watch as I really wasn't feeling very good when I left the Red Cross. I made the race in time to start! Felt good when I got there. So I started, and won the race! Rode 20 miles home. Wow! I can do this! Never raced on donation day again. Riding with bandaged on both arms isn't really smart. But I gave platelets all through my racing days with no consequences and loved getting a physical every two weeks.

Ben
Old 09-07-17, 09:22 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
Ditto
Old 09-07-17, 09:49 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
I gave about 2 gallons in my life. I'd give after work and then rode home.
Over time they kept asking more questions that DQ'd me without going into detail.
Mainly having to do with growing up in Africa and poorly worded questions. DQ's my wife too "have you ever had sex with someone that lived in Africa?". They never asked the detail that would allow them to use my blood - I was just DQ'd Shame really. Thought about lying, because of the wording was stupid, but I just answered with facts.
I have not given in the last 30 years.
Old 09-07-17, 11:18 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Been awhile since I offered to donate. Years ago one of the qualification questions included whether we'd potentially been exposed to bloodborne pathogens such as hepatitis. Being a former dialysis nurse I had to answer yes, although I'd never had any accidental needle sticks. But that was enough to disqualify me back then. They may have changed the qualifications since then.
Old 09-08-17, 12:15 AM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
It's great to see so many regular donors of ABC products! I go every two weeks to donate platelets. I have made 240 donations, many of them double units. That's over 30 gallons. I also donated white blood cells once. I was told that the WBC are for people who are very close to death and for which there are no other options.

Stanford Blood Center gives lots of schwag and best is the 20% off coupon at Sports Basement; no limit on what you can buy! I used one of these coupons to purchase the $3500 carbon synapse for $3100 out the door.

I like the fact that I am helping save the lives of people who are very sick.
Old 09-08-17, 06:38 AM
The Quiet One

Bikes: Felt Z100, Trek 720

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll be getting my three gallon pin next month.
Old 09-08-17, 12:42 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
I'm in the same boat. 2 years in Germany in the mid 80s....
I think it's silly, it's been about 25 years ago, and I've never once shown any signs of any sort of mad cow disease. That time I was found naked in my front yard mooing and eating grass has a perfectly logical explanation as soon as I think of one...
Old 09-08-17, 12:51 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
I think it's silly, it's been about 25 years ago, and I've never once shown any signs of any sort of mad cow disease. That time I was found naked in my front yard mooing and eating grass has a perfectly logical explanation as soon as I think of one...

But yes, I agree, eligibility rules and those enforcing them leaves much to be wondered about the process. Even though the Red Cross website explicitly says diabetics are eligible to donate, I got tired of never knowing if I would be turned away after showing up, and just gave up. Maybe I should give it another go and see if things have gotten any better of late.
Old 09-08-17, 12:53 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
I gave about 2 gallons in my life. I'd give after work and then rode home.
How did that work out?

Our local donation centers are several miles from my house, and I just ride everywhere (we got rid of the family car a few years back). I finally weigh enough to give (thank you cycling), but I worry about getting woozy and not being able to transport myself and my bike back home.

OTOH, I'm AB+, so there's fewer people who can have my blood.
Old 09-08-17, 12:59 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
How did that work out?

Our local donation centers are several miles from my house, and I just ride everywhere (we got rid of the family car a few years back). I finally weigh enough to give (thank you cycling), but I worry about getting woozy and not being able to transport myself and my bike back home.

OTOH, I'm AB+, so there's fewer people who can have my blood.
I was mid 20s, 200lbs and rode about 250-300 miles a week. I'd leave work ride 5 miles, give blood, ride home 40 more - slowly. A pint at my weight was not a huge deal. I'd drink more water, less beer and was fine.
Old 09-08-17, 01:13 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

I gave this morning.

Apheresis took almost exactly 99 minutes from the time the needles went in until the machine was shut off.

There were at least five other people giving platelets when I got there at 9:30 AM and the place was doing a very brisk business for red cells throughout the morning.

-Tim-

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.