Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Maximum Tire Size for Catrike 559

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Old 07-04-18, 11:02 AM
BeckyS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am planning to ride the Cowboy Trail this fall on my Catrike 559 and am concerned about how my tires will fare on the crushed limestone surface. My current tires are Schwalbe Racer 40-406 (20 x 1.50). Are there wider tires that will fit on the Catrike 559 rims? Any information or expertise is greatly appreciated! Thank you.
Old 07-04-18, 02:32 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
Here are two articles by the late Sheldon Brown. The first shows how to measure the width of the rim. The second one has a table (in bright green and red) that shows what width of tire can be used on the rim you have. The table is quite far down on the page. It is measured in mm so just divide by 25.4 to get the inch equivalent.

Measuring Bicycle Rims and Hub Flanges Tire Sizing Systems

It's actually a fair bit of leeway. My Catrike 700 came with 1" Schwalbe tires that were totally unsuitable for my use so I replaced them with 1.4" wide BMX tires. That was thousands of miles ago with no problem since.
Old 07-04-18, 02:37 PM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Hi Becky, welcome to Bike Forums. I have an ICE Sprint with those same tires and have no problem with crushed limestone screenings (except that if you don't have a rear fender, a lot of fine particles will end up down your back. I have not ridden that particular trail, but the rails2trails website says finely crushed. I also have 40-584 tires another bike and they work great on that sort of surface. You may want to check with Cattrike, but I am sure that your rims could take either the ISO 50 or 55 Schwalbe Big Apple tires. These will go on my trike when I wear out the Racers.

Also, you may want to post in the Mountain-Plains regional forum for better info about the Cowboy Trail
Old 07-04-18, 04:02 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I have a 559. I live just a couple of miles from Missouri's crushed limestone Katy Trail so I ride on it a lot. I'e never used anything but the stock Marathon Race tires because they haven't worn out yet.

I've been told that Big Apples will provide a cushier ride with little, if any, loss of speed. I'm also toying with the idea of switching to BA tires when the time comes.