Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Gates Belt Cleaning

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Gates Belt Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-18, 05:59 AM
Paul J

Bikes: 1980's Spectrum 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, 1990 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 65 Posts
Gates Belt Cleaning

We are in our second year of using the Gates Timing Belt. It has been a great experience and we are very pleased. This summer has been very wet for us and though we do not start in the rain we do finish in the rain and this has been one of those summers. We have a slight squeak in the power stroke of our pedal rotation which I'm thinking is grime in the system. What are others using to wash/clean your belt, and do any others spray their belts with silicon or anything?
Old 08-14-18, 02:27 PM
Alcanbrad

Bikes: '14 CoMo Carrera, '11 CoMo Primera co-pilot, '98 Santana Visa, a Plethora of road bikes, A commuter/Gravel beast (and 1 MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 38 Posts
I use compressed air and sometimes a stiff brush if I feel there is still grime on the belt. I have not felt a need to wash or treat the belt (or heard of anyone doing so).
Old 08-14-18, 03:01 PM
DubT

Bikes: Trek Speed Concept 9.9, 2011 Calfee Tetra Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul J
We are in our second year of using the Gates Timing Belt. It has been a great experience and we are very pleased. This summer has been very wet for us and though we do not start in the rain we do finish in the rain and this has been one of those summers. We have a slight squeak in the power stroke of our pedal rotation which I'm thinking is grime in the system. What are others using to wash/clean your belt, and do any others spray their belts with silicon or anything?
I use silicone spray on ours occasionally, this was a suggestion from a tech at Gates.
Old 08-15-18, 05:36 AM
mikebian 

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Tandem, Ventana ECdM Tandem, Kent Eriksen Custom Coupled Tandem, Meridian Coupled Triplet, Canondale MTB Tandem, Landshark Tandem, Giant TCR, SantaCruz Blur LTb

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I've had squeaky belts also and I also called Gates about it. They said to quiet it on a ride, just squirt your water bottle onto the belt (assuming it's just water) and that will temporarily quiet it. It does work. They also told me to use silicone spray and I do that once in a while as needed.

A friend suggested rubbing a dry soap bar along the belt and that also works great. I mentioned that to the Gates rep and he thought that was an OK idea. I carry a small chip of soap in a tiny zip lock bag in my saddle bag for times when it's really driving me crazy.
Old 10-06-18, 08:19 AM
Paul J

Bikes: 1980's Spectrum 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, 1990 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

I've not done anything yet and am just now getting back to this. I have seen dry spray and what I think is more of a wet spray. Would the dry be what one would us?
Old 10-07-18, 06:41 AM
mikebian 

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Tandem, Ventana ECdM Tandem, Kent Eriksen Custom Coupled Tandem, Meridian Coupled Triplet, Canondale MTB Tandem, Landshark Tandem, Giant TCR, SantaCruz Blur LTb

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
When I spoke to Gates about this, they suggested spraying little silicone onto a rag and then wiping the belt with it. I assumed they meant the wet spray, and that is what I use. Don't soak it. You just want to get a little on the belt.

I sometimes just clean the belt with a really wet rag - just water - no soap of any kind, and that can be enough. The only times I have done the silicone thing is when the squeaking just won't stop.
Old 10-10-18, 10:26 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
We use the dry spray. No mess and works well.
Old 10-10-18, 11:58 AM
Paul J

Thanks mikebian and Carbonfiberboy. I bought some wet on Sunday and wiped it on the belt with it quieting down on our ride last evening. I'm still getting a little noise which might be in the bottom bracket. the spray I found at Home Depot also had some Teflon in it which I'm thinking isn't an issue. I do wonder if going with the dry and spraying it right on the belt might be better. I didn't even see any dry at the Depot. Carbonfiberboy, what spray are you using and where did you pick it up? Thanks again for the feedback!