Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

A Tall Person's Conundrum

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

A Tall Person's Conundrum

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-18, 06:09 PM
GREEKSTER

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question A Tall Person's Conundrum

Greekings,

I am new to cycling and am looking for an all-around bike that I could use for multiple purposes (pleasure, commuting, possibly bike-packing?). About 6 years ago while I was in college, a friend invited me to bike from the Oregon-California border back to SoCal where we live. It was a "just for fun", spur-of-the-moment adventure. I bought the biggest touring bike I could find that fit my budget and we set off. The trip ended short for me due to excruciating knee pain which I believe resulted from too small a bike.

It has been a desire of mine to try cycling again, this time with a little more research. My problem is that I can't seem to find any bike manufacturers that offer bicycles that would fit my tall frame. I have looked into a custom cycle, but cost is a big factor there. I would be willing to go this route if there are no other options.

Here's some of the more important details you probably want to know:

6 ft 7 in

245 lbs

Pubic Bone Height: 101.5

Trunk: 71.5 cm

Forearm: 39.37 cm

Arm: 78.105 cm

Thigh: 70.802 cm

Lower Leg: 62.484 cm

Sternal Notch: 165.1 cm

Total Body Height: 200.66 cm

Saddle height: 91 cm

I guess I'm turning here to see if anyone has recommendations or insight for me. I do not have a lot of experience/knowledge regarding cycling, so anything that puts me in the right direction helps.

Thank you
Old 09-29-18, 11:39 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
6'7" = custom bike AFAIK. I have a riding buddy that tall who had a nice Ti bike built for him. Put your measurements into this calculator: https://www.competitivecyclist.com/S...ulatorBike.jsp
and see if there are any bikes out there that size.
Old 09-30-18, 03:44 PM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
I'm 6'6" tall. Ihave a 36" inseam. 25" frame fit me 34 years ago and same bike still fits me today. My advise to you is to get the largest frame you can find. Maybe a taller set-back seat post if necessary.
Check out the Giant Contend bikes. They have an XL frame size that might fit you. I looked at them but couldn't justify buying a new bike just to buy a new bike. There's nothing wrong with my 34 yo Peugeot--but I digress.
Back to the OP's dilemma. Go to a reputable bike shop and have a fitting session.
Jon
Old 09-30-18, 06:53 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
6'7" = custom bike AFAIK. I have a riding buddy that tall who had a nice Ti bike built for him. Put your measurements into this calculator: https://www.competitivecyclist.com/S...ulatorBike.jsp
and see if there are any bikes out there that size.
We happened to go out on our tandem with this guy this afternoon. He confirmed that at least when he was shopping for a decent bike there was nothing that fit him. He's done PBP and a number of other 1200k Grand Randonnees on his Ti rig.
Old 09-30-18, 10:10 PM
GREEKSTER

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
6'7" = custom bike AFAIK. I have a riding buddy that tall who had a nice Ti bike built for him. Put your measurements into this calculator and see if there are any bikes out there that size.
Yeah, custom is probably the way to go.

Here's what my recommended bike sizes look like based on my measurements:

Seat Tube Range c–c: 67 - 67.5 cm
Seat Tube Range c–t: 69 - 69.5 cm
Top Tube Length: 59.1 - 59.5 cm
Stem Length: 12.1 - 12.7 cm
BB–Saddle Position: 86.5 - 88.5 cm
Saddle Handlebar: 63.4 - 64 cm
Saddle Setback: 12.6 - 13 cm

I'll look into Ti bikes.
Old 09-30-18, 10:12 PM
GREEKSTER

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jon T
I'm 6'6" tall. Ihave a 36" inseam. 25" frame fit me 34 years ago and same bike still fits me today. My advise to you is to get the largest frame you can find. Maybe a taller set-back seat post if necessary.
Check out the Giant Contend bikes. They have an XL frame size that might fit you. I looked at them but couldn't justify buying a new bike just to buy a new bike. There's nothing wrong with my 34 yo Peugeot--but I digress.
Back to the OP's dilemma. Go to a reputable bike shop and have a fitting session.
Jon
Thanks for your insight Jon. Checked out the Giant contend bikes. Still looks a little small though I may be reading it wrong. How do you determine stack and reach?
Old 10-03-18, 04:35 PM
GREEKSTER

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your help guys. After doing some searching, I actually found a 69cm 1980 Bridgestone Kabuki on Craigslist. Fits perfect. Guy selling it kept it in great shape.

Would post a picture, but it's saying I need 10 posts in order to do so.
Old 10-17-18, 07:16 AM
expatbrit

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (now an ex-bicycle), Trek X-Cal, Giant Defy 3

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by GREEKSTER
Thanks for your help guys. After doing some searching, I actually found a 69cm 1980 Bridgestone Kabuki on Craigslist. Fits perfect. Guy selling it kept it in great shape.

Would post a picture, but it's saying I need 10 posts in order to do so.
Congrats. As a fellow 6'7 rider, I've found that I can actually fit on much smaller frames than you'd expect -- though I have now moved to a 63cm Bianchi. Working with a good local shop and tweaking settings has been very good for me.
Old 10-17-18, 07:38 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I'm glad the OP found a bike that fits, because the fit calculator numbers are crazy-- I'm 5" shorter but apparently have longer arms and almost the same torso length. So the OP has got some spider legs.

I looked at the geometry for some big frame bikes (like the KHS Flite 747) and they're too big in terms of stack and reach.