Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Felt Speedway2

Search
Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Felt Speedway2

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-18, 04:51 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 246 Posts
Felt Speedway2

Never thought a Cruiser would "turn my crank" but when I saw this Felt Speedway2..... it came home with me. I'm still getting used to the coaster brake/2speed but so far I'm enjoying the slower laid back pace. My wife occasionally rides with me (on her bike) and comments on how much attention my bike gets.....

I figured it would be best to start a new thread vs flooding the Cruiser pic thread.

Likes For Speedway2:
Old 10-05-18, 06:07 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 848 Times in 592 Posts
This bike is just,...beautiful. I luv it,...
Old 10-05-18, 09:18 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Neat.
Old 10-05-18, 09:51 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Thanks! My wife thinks most of the attention is because of the gear I wear on the bike. I don't understand why?.......

Last edited by Speedway2; 10-06-18 at 07:46 AM.
Old 10-06-18, 07:47 AM
Speedway2

Old 10-06-18, 07:53 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by Speedway2
Thanks! My wife thinks most of the attention is because of the gear I wear on the bike. I don't understand why?.......
LOL!!! Better safe than sorry,...

I tried to Google the handlebars, no luck. Seems like they're exclusive to this baby,...
Old 10-06-18, 09:56 AM
drzdave58

Bikes: Ruff custom build..Electra mulholland 3i..vanmoof S3..1947rollfast...felt happy hour..focus planet..Dahon curve d3 41 Schwinn custom..Moulton tsr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
great bike...gonna do any mods to it.
Old 10-06-18, 12:05 PM
Speedway2

Originally Posted by tds101
LOL!!! Better safe than sorry,...

I tried to Google the handlebars, no luck. Seems like they're exclusive to this baby,...
I can't see what's so special about the bars. They look like Low regular cruiser bars....just black.
I actually tried installing a surplus set of black bars from my VROD. They would have given me more room in the cockpit but the diameter is too thick to fit the clamps.

Last edited by Speedway2; 10-06-18 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-06-18, 12:08 PM
Speedway2

Originally Posted by drzdave58

great bike...gonna do any mods to it.
Thanks!
I've been playing with the idea of adding a Sturmey Archer front break hub.....but that's about it.
Old 10-06-18, 12:18 PM
AtNjineer
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 23 Posts
Thanks!
I've been playing with the idea of adding a Sturmey Archer front break hub.....but that's about it.
that front hub you speak of sucks. I know I used to have one. It’s Just for looks. What gears did they give you 23x36? It’s a cool bike I think all you need is a front fender and to wrap the whole thing in lights

Last edited by AtNjineer; 10-06-18 at 12:22 PM.
Old 10-06-18, 12:32 PM
Speedway2

Originally Posted by AtNjineer

that front hub you speak of sucks. I know I used to have one. It’s Just for looks. What gears did they give you 23x36? It’s a cool bike I think all you need is a front fender and to wrap the whole thing in lights
I'm not expecting too much from the front drum brake for stopping power. I just want a back-up in case the chain falls off when I'm going downhill. That Murphy guy sucks.....
I have no idea what the gear ratio is. All I know is if there's a headwind or hills it's gonna hurt.
I think I'll leave the front fenderless. Reminds me of a Cafe Racer/Bobber. The lights would be perfect as Christmas is fast approaching.....
Old 10-06-18, 12:55 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

I can't see what's so special about the bars. They look like Low regular cruiser bars....just black.
I actually tried installing a surplus set of black bars from my VROD. They would have given me more room in the cockpit but the diameter is too thick to fit the clamps.
They're actually supposed to be upside down on your bike. I like them the way you have them. And I would luv to have them on my cruiser. They're just high, wide, and thick enough for my threadless stem. If you lived in NYC I'd buy them from you.
Old 10-06-18, 01:06 PM
Speedway2

They're actually supposed to be upside down on your bike. I like them the way you have them. And I would luv to have them on my cruiser. They're just high, wide, and thick enough for my threadless stem. If you lived in NYC I'd buy them from you.
You're correct. I saw the above pic on the internet with the bars down. When I went to the LBS they had the bars in the up right position. I had them swing them down and brought it home. After a few minutes of riding it that way my 58yr body was not happy. Turned the bars up and that's how I'm keeping them.

You're only ~12hrs away by car. If I start peddling now......
Old 10-06-18, 03:10 PM
AtNjineer
Banned.

Do as you want. I wouldn’t want to spend $100 on my bikes brakes and not expect much. Your bike is cute with its oversized wheels and leather saddle. To stand out and get the attention of bike snobs and not just people who think your wheels are cool. Get a set of 27 or 29 inch mtb wheels 29’s if you can. Wrap them with Maxxis tires and convert them to ss and hook up a front brake. Then get some chain tensioners for your track style drop outs and you won’t have to worry about your chain coming off. I assume it doesn’t correct me if I’m wrong. Then your bike will be more function over form. You could even top it off with a dropper post and a gel saddle then you’ll be on my level

Last edited by AtNjineer; 10-06-18 at 03:14 PM.
Old 10-06-18, 05:18 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Do as you want. I wouldn’t want to spend $100 on my bikes brakes and not expect much. Your bike is cute with its oversized wheels and leather saddle. To stand out and get the attention of bike snobs and not just people who think your wheels are cool. Get a set of 27 or 29 inch mtb wheels 29’s if you can. Wrap them with Maxxis tires and convert them to ss and hook up a front brake. Then get some chain tensioners for your track style drop outs and you won’t have to worry about your chain coming off. I assume it doesn’t correct me if I’m wrong. Then your bike will be more function over form. You could even top it off with a dropper post and a gel saddle then you’ll be on my level
Why would the OP ruin this bike by downgrading it to a thinner wheel/tire combo? And a single speed isn't what everyone wants. I'd do a front fender myself,...but this bike is fantastic, asthetlically, just as it is.

As for a front brake,...get what fits. If the Sturmey-Archer is it,...do it. It may not have hydraulic disk stopping power, but it's fine as a back up in case of emergencies.
Old 10-06-18, 07:37 PM
b1934

Bikes: 2017 Hyper Beach Cruiser, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record, 1974 Motobecane Mirage

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great bike. Really like the wheels & tires.
Old 10-06-18, 08:23 PM
Speedway2

I wouldn’t want to spend $100 on my bikes brakes and not expect much. Get a set of 27 or 29 inch mtb wheels 29’s if you can. Wrap them with Maxxis tires and convert them to ss and hook up a front brake. Then get some chain tensioners for your track style drop outs and you won’t have to worry about your chain coming off. You could even top it off with a dropper post and a gel saddle then you’ll be on my level
If it was only $100 it would be done. Here, the part alone is $135, $1.50/spoke(36), brake lever & cable, add labour 13% taxes and I'm looking at about $250CDN....that's half what I paid for the bike. I appreciate your mod list but it would totally change my bike into something not to my taste.
Old 10-06-18, 08:26 PM
Speedway2

Originally Posted by b1934
Great bike. Really like the wheels & tires.
Thanks! I Amour-all the tires...the wife just shakes her head......
Old 10-06-18, 08:36 PM
Speedway2

Why would the OP ruin this bike by downgrading it to a thinner wheel/tire combo? And a single speed isn't what everyone wants. I'd do a front fender myself,...but this bike is fantastic, asthetlically, just as it is.

As for a front brake,...get what fits. If the Sturmey-Archer is it,...do it. It may not have hydraulic disk stopping power, but it's fine as a back up in case of emergencies.
The fat 4" tires were a selling feature and I like the tread/pattern. I already have a SS speed bike and not interested in another. 2 speed suites the bike and its intended use perfectly....for me.
Old 10-06-18, 09:00 PM
Wilmingtech

Bikes: 2013 Ridley Helium, 2017 Blue Pro-Secco EX, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 73 Posts
If thats the ONLY gear you WEAR....
Old 10-06-18, 09:22 PM
AtNjineer
Banned.

because it will look bad ass aesthetically. Mechanically can we think of no Benefits to my idea? I personally think my idea will make his bike lighter and easier to service at his lbs. it may even make it easier to find inner tubes. The same day he needs them. He could go tubless. Am I missing anything. That front hub is a waste of money. That’s the last I mention it.
Old 10-06-18, 09:33 PM
AtNjineer
Banned.

If it was only $100 it would be done. Here, the part alone is $135, $1.50/spoke(36), brake lever & cable, add labour 13% taxes and I'm looking at about $250CDN....that's half what I paid for the bike. I appreciate your mod list but it would totally change my bike into something not to my taste.

lmao oh yea I forgot they are expensive lol
i was thinking of another hub I paid to install recently
if you want one so bad I’ll sell you mine
i swapped it out for a dynamo hub and my rear coaster hub for an alfine8 *my level
I appreciate your appreciation yes that’s what I would do. I think it would make your bike better. I wouldn’t waste anyone’s time telling them to do things that would downgrade their bike. If you don’t think it’s your taste I’m absolutely fine with that. No pressure
Old 10-07-18, 07:02 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

The fat 4" tires were a selling feature and I like the tread/pattern. I already have a SS speed bike and not interested in another. 2 speed suites the bike and its intended use perfectly....for me.
You do know that I luv this bike, and I don't think you should change a thing, right?
Old 10-07-18, 07:05 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

because it will look bad ass aesthetically. Mechanically can we think of no Benefits to my idea? I personally think my idea will make his bike lighter and easier to service at his lbs. it may even make it easier to find inner tubes. The same day he needs them. He could go tubless. Am I missing anything. That front hub is a waste of money. That’s the last I mention it.
This bike looks fantastic as is. What you might do isn't what matters,...it's the decision of the op that counts.
Old 10-07-18, 07:12 AM
Speedway2

it may even make it easier to find inner tubes. The same day he needs them. He could go tubless. Am I missing anything. That front hub is a waste of money.

You make a good point about the availability of replacement inner tubes and tires. From what I've seen so far tubes and 4" tires (Street use) are both harder to find and more expensive. Fortunately, I live is a big bike market so parts are easily sourced. I can't imagine I'll be needing tires anytime soon. Going tubeless sounds interesting.....I'll have to look into it.
The front brake hub isn't a priority....just a contingency plan for a situation that may never happen.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.