Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Joint Health protocol.

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Joint Health protocol.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-18, 11:24 AM
Iwishihadknown

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Joint Health protocol.

Please share what supplements you utilize for joint health and relief when you experience discomfort.
Old 10-12-18, 11:53 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18354 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
I find the more I ride, the better the knees get.

I can't say whether it is good or bad for the knees... I'll let you know in 20 or 30 years, but I find that if I ride every day, then I'm pain free. If I drop down to once a week, then the knees start bothering me to the point I can hardly walk.
Old 10-12-18, 03:37 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I don't take joint supplements...I eat good food, ride my bike , go for long walks, do weight bearing exercises such as squats and lunges.
Old 10-12-18, 04:15 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
For me (roughly) semi-annual hyaluronic acid knee injections are most helpful (osteo arthritis). I also take a daily dose of Meloxicam, although that is more focused on my hands (more osteo arthritis that affects my classical guitar playing).

dave
Old 10-12-18, 04:36 PM
doubravsky 

Bikes: Colnago Crystal, GT MTB, Fuji D6 TT bike, Breezer Beltway commuter

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I put some collagen powder in my coffee each morning to help with joint health in general.
Old 10-12-18, 07:14 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I am taking glucosamine, but I'm not sure if it is helping or not.

I tried tumeric, but had side effects I didn't like.

Mostly I try to keep things aligned and set up properly when I ride and run, and I do the exercises my physiotherapist has given me.
Old 10-13-18, 09:06 AM
BloomBikeShop
BloomBikeShop.com

Bikes: A few.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
I take Play Again Now which is a liquid hyaluronic acid and MSM supplement. One bottle (~ one month) and that improves my joints to where I can get back into a good weight lifting and physical therapy routine that wards off further joint pain for many more months (or until an injury forces me to be sedentary) before needing to do it again.

I also have seen Supple work well for some individuals.
Old 10-13-18, 10:35 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Glucosamine sulfate (glucosamine hydrochloride doesn't work)
MSM
So far, so good.
Old 10-13-18, 03:45 PM
rykard

Bikes: Scott Arapaho, Merida T1

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
I am taking glucosamine, but I'm not sure if it is helping or not.

I tried tumeric, but had side effects I didn't like.

Mostly I try to keep things aligned and set up properly when I ride and run, and I do the exercises my physiotherapist has given me.
what were the side effects of the turmeric - if you don't mind me asking
Old 10-14-18, 06:39 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by rykard
what were the side effects of the turmeric - if you don't mind me asking
Mild digestive issues
Joint pain ... I was taking it for the arthritis in my feet, but the joints in my hands and arms started aching about 10 days after I started taking it. Coincidence? Maybe. But the pain stopped soon after I stopped taking it.
And I was nicely heading toward menopause ... then about 10 days after I started taking it that all came to a screeching halt. I stopped taking it and I'm nicely heading toward menopause again ... so far. Could be a coincidence. But apparently curcumin can act like the hormone estrogen or messes with it.

So ... the jury is out on the effectiveness of tumeric. But I do know that the arthritis in my feet certain did not ease up at all.
Old 10-14-18, 07:49 AM
Tamiya

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Turmeric is a spice, as are goji berries. Very common in Asian cooking.

If if turmeric worked for joints surely you'd see less Chinese tourists swarming our chemists buying big trolley loads of glucosamine.
Old 10-14-18, 07:58 AM
Gesekee19

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
collagen
Old 10-18-18, 07:06 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I've never noticed any improvements from various supplements touted as beneficial to bone and joint health. Tried 'em all, never noticed any differences.

But with upcoming surgery to remove my thyroid I'll probably need to at least take calcium supplements. Reportedly the parathyroid regulates calcium and since my entire thyroid may be removed I'll probably need supplements. Urk. I'd hoped to avoid that mess.
Old 10-18-18, 07:36 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I've got arthritis right in the lumbar spine and SI joints. Turmeric/Curcumin helps. 1000mg with breakfast, every morning-- as recommended by my fast-talking doc in Physical Medicine. Been on it I dunno... two months? No side effects I'm aware of.

And I've got the whole medicine cabinet full of the harder stuff-- methocarbamol, cyclobenzaprine, tizanidine, baclofen. None of which I particularly enjoy taking. Zanaflex might as well be a bottle of knockout drops. Anything that might mean less muscle relaxers I'm cool with.
Old 10-19-18, 07:32 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
I tried joint sups to no avail. Replacement surgery was the only solution to the bone on bone with added spurs that totally resolved my right shoulder issue. Still have 2 knees, left shoulder and left wrist to go.

An almost meatless diet, an increase of anti-inflammatory foods and spices plus minimizing added sugars has allowed me to go prescription med free for pain/inflammation since '80s when my new PCP/friend insisted that I change my consumption habits. She was spot on to the degree where 2 orthopedic surgeons found it interesting that I required no prescription meds for pain in my right shoulder prior to replacement.

Turmeric with black pepper, ginger, cayenne pepper(capsaicin), cumin, cinnamon, fennel, allspice, Italian seasoning, fermented foods, garlic, onions, tomato paste, celery seeds... the list is endless for natural sources to reduce inflammation/pain.

BLACK PEPPERS bioperine increases absorption of nutrients by slowing the digestion process for all things consumed.
Old 10-19-18, 10:48 AM
Iwishihadknown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you everyone! I have some knee discomfort. I wouldn't call it pain, more like an awareness of a sensation in them. I had a couple of recent rides with a lot of steep climbing, I am confident that my muscles were ready for it but I am questioning whether my tendons and ligaments were. I have an appointment for a professional three hour bike fit next week and I have hit the self care hard. Maybe the warning will turn out in the end to be beneficial. I hope so!
Old 11-01-18, 08:46 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
Originally Posted by Iwishihadknown
Please share what supplements you utilize for joint health and relief when you experience discomfort.
Speaking of comfort of the knees and hips, specifically ...

Due to some old injuries, I've had tight hip muscles (flexors and others attached to the hips) for some decades. I keep them stretched and relatively strong, I'm fine; allow them to get tight, and all sorts of general issues start cropping up, including with the joints.

And so, for me, ensuring I have a solid, regular stretching regimen is key, addition to whatever fitness program I'm following. Key.

The hip flexor muscles (at the front of each hip, outside the groin area). The piriformis/glute. The hamstrings. The quadriceps. The adductor (inner) and abductor (outer) leg muscles. With these tight, I can develop achy joints. With flexible and limber muscles in those areas, no such achy feeling ever occurs (aside from occasional overworked-muscle tiredness from strength training).

Generally speaking, it can't hurt. Unless you've got joint damage that precludes the strains that certain stretches places on your muscles/joints.
Old 11-01-18, 09:33 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by Clyde1820
Speaking of comfort of the knees and hips, specifically ...

Due to some old injuries, I've had tight hip muscles (flexors and others attached to the hips) for some decades. I keep them stretched and relatively strong, I'm fine; allow them to get tight, and all sorts of general issues start cropping up, including with the joints.

And so, for me, ensuring I have a solid, regular stretching regimen is key, addition to whatever fitness program I'm following. Key.

The hip flexor muscles (at the front of each hip, outside the groin area). The piriformis/glute. The hamstrings. The quadriceps. The adductor (inner) and abductor (outer) leg muscles. With these tight, I can develop achy joints. With flexible and limber muscles in those areas, no such achy feeling ever occurs (aside from occasional overworked-muscle tiredness from strength training).

Generally speaking, it can't hurt. Unless you've got joint damage that precludes the strains that certain stretches places on your muscles/joints.
Absolutely. I do the same for the same reasons. Stretching and weight work will extend your joints' life more than any supplement. Training is the hammer, supplements the feather. But everything you do helps. The fact that supplements may not help as much as training is not a reason to eschew them. Do both.
Old 11-01-18, 09:52 AM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
I am confident that my muscles were ready for it but I am questioning whether my tendons and ligaments were.
Every time I've increased exercise intensity I've had some knee pain. Sometimes a lot. From sedentary to walking, to walking hills, to riding, to riding hills, each of those transitions made my knees (and hips) complain for a while. In my case and I've heard from others too, the joints adapt slowly.

And what @Clyde1820 said about stretching goes for me too. Three years ago I didn't know what a piriformis was, but now a piriformis stretch is part of my daily routine, along with hamstring, glutes, IT bands, calves, quads and more.

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
An almost meatless diet
What do you do for protein? I'm starting to think I'll need to go meatless (for many reasons, not just health) but it looks like tough going. Protein keeps my glucose metabolism happy.

Last edited by rseeker; 11-01-18 at 10:00 AM.
Old 11-01-18, 10:13 AM
Iwishihadknown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the additional responses and the information shared.
I would be interested in what sources you have used to learn the appropriate stretching exercises?
Old 11-01-18, 01:03 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
I would be interested in what sources you have used to learn the appropriate stretching exercises?
Here are a couple of decent books on stretching:

And a series of books on the anatomy of exercise and stretching, by Human Kinetics Publishers. Most of these are exceptional, giving you a view of the muscles involved with various stretches and exercises.

While more exercise instead of stretching centric, each can show how a particular type of exercise (ie, cycling intervals) or movement (ie, pushups) looks from the perspective of the muscles ... which muscles are "hit" most, least. Can help illuminate which exercises target certain muscles (you might be targeting, or treating gingerly due to injury).
Old 11-01-18, 02:53 PM
Iwishihadknown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Clyde1820
Here are a couple of decent books on stretching:

And a series of books on the anatomy of exercise and stretching, by Human Kinetics Publishers. Most of these are exceptional, giving you a view of the muscles involved with various stretches and exercises.
While more exercise instead of stretching centric, each can show how a particular type of exercise (ie, cycling intervals) or movement (ie, pushups) looks from the perspective of the muscles ... which muscles are "hit" most, least. Can help illuminate which exercises target certain muscles (you might be targeting, or treating gingerly due to injury).
Thank you very much! Very decent of you to post all of those resources.
Old 11-01-18, 03:32 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by rseeker
..............What do you do for protein? I'm starting to think I'll need to go meatless (for many reasons, not just health) but it looks like tough going. Protein keeps my glucose metabolism happy.

Fins and Filtering replaced 2 and 4 feet. Plenty of protein available from plants sources. I also SPICE THINGS UP.
Old 11-01-18, 04:28 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Thank you for the additional responses and the information shared.
My source was a physical therapy practice. My hip pain was so bad I could barely walk but they fixed me right up. The diagnosis was 20 years working in front of a computer. I was doing OK with walking and hiking, but when I added cycling that was too much. The treatment was to stretch and strengthen.

Here are videos that show a good set of stretches to get started. My therapists taught me about twenty-five different stretches and exercises, and I did all of them for a while but it took a lot of time, especially for every day. I whittled it down to this core group that I have to stick with to keep from being tight. I can really tell if I slack off, I need to do them.

For equipment I just need a patch of carpet in the hall, a pillow behind my head and a yoga strap. The strap is just like a belt made of cotten with a plastic buckle at one end that you can thread the strap through to make a loop to go around your foot. It was like 8 bucks. There's another kind of strap you may see in the videos that has loops sewn into it, that's common too, but I'm fine with what I have.

Calf stretch at wall -
Calf stretch and ankle toning with band -
Supine Hamstring Stretch -
IT band stretch with strap -
Piriformis stretch -
Gluteus medius toning -
Prone on elbows (or up on hands with straight arms) -
Quadriceps stretch, 2m18s through 2m47s in the video. He does it standing or on his side, while I do it on my stomach because it feels more stable. And if I want to I can easily extend the stretch into a nap. -

Last edited by rseeker; 11-01-18 at 05:31 PM.
Old 11-01-18, 04:36 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by rseeker
Every time I've increased exercise intensity I've had some knee pain. Sometimes a lot. From sedentary to walking, to walking hills, to riding, to riding hills, each of those transitions made my knees (and hips) complain for a while. In my case and I've heard from others too, the joints adapt slowly.

And what @Clyde1820 said about stretching goes for me too. Three years ago I didn't know what a piriformis was, but now a piriformis stretch is part of my daily routine, along with hamstring, glutes, IT bands, calves, quads and more.

What do you do for protein? I'm starting to think I'll need to go meatless (for many reasons, not just health) but it looks like tough going. Protein keeps my glucose metabolism happy.
I haven't eaten meat in 45 years. I do eat fish, though not a lot. My diet contains a good bit of dairy, some eggs. Strong on legumes, whole grains, vegetables, that sort of thing - a mostly plant based diet. I supplement with whey protein, maybe 60g/day when I'm exercising hard. I have a bit of hypoglycemia so I mostly eat slow burning stuff off the bike. On the bike, I can eat all the fast carbs I want, no problem.

Knee pain in particular usually succumbs to changes in bike fit and particular exercises. The prescription depends on the source of the pain. It's usually not weak joints or tendons, just misuse of same.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.