Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Shorts for Athena - good wicking for summer and compression or not?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-18, 10:31 AM
esther-L

Bikes: tandem, road bike, hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

I have been buying Terry Bicycles tour shorts (long) but the last few that I bought were made with a heavier fabric that does not wick as well in the summer.
In the past when I have tried bike shorts with compression, they made me feel too warm.

Does anyone have recommendations for good wicking shorts for Athena who is size XXL or 2X? High nylon content seems to make me feel warmer than high polyester content does. Does anyone find that compression shorts make them feel warmer?
Thanks!
Old 10-31-18, 09:16 PM
antimonysarah

Bikes: Nishiki Bel-Air, Brompton P6L, Seven Resolute SLX, Co-motion Divide, Xtracycle RFA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 33 Posts
If you like the fit of Terry and their XXL (rather than their plus-sized gear) fits, some of their higher-performance shorts are a lot less heavy, although also nylon-based. I enjoy the feeling of compression, myself, and don't find it makes me any warmer, although in the summer I'm just 100% miserably hot basically all the time. (The Terry sunblocker longsleeve jerseys actually wick pretty well, at least on me, which is a side point but if your top half is radiating heat well your bottom half may be less important.) The Bellas and the Peloton TDF are the ones I've worn the most.

Someone will be along to recommend Aerotech at some point; I have a few jerseys from them I like but their shorts roll down on me, and their fabrics tend to be warmer.

I have a jersey from Fat Lass At The Back which is very comfortable and well-made but haven't tried their shorts.

Last edited by antimonysarah; 10-31-18 at 09:24 PM.