Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

(indexed) Downtube shifters should make comeback

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

(indexed) Downtube shifters should make comeback

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-18, 02:37 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Viich
Downtube are great - they keep working, and even if indexed never have to stop if they go out of adjustment - just switch to friction.

I don't have any issue with anyone who likes STI to the exclusion of all other shifter types. I don't understand why anyone who prefers STI needs to have an issue with anyone who likes DT (or stem, or bar-end, or kelly take-off, or any other type) shifters.
I just am pointing out that all the benefits of DT shifting have nothing to do with them being on the DT, rather them being simple "pull a cable around a round lever" shifters, the functional equivalent of which come in numerous forms and can be mounted in a variety if locations that are easier to access.

Other than a subjective "they are crisper", I still haven't seen an argument that there is a better reason to locate them down there over the bars.
Old 11-11-18, 03:59 PM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
"Gone like my last paycheck gone gone away
Gone like the car I wrecked gone gone away
Gone like a fifth of gin gone gone away
Gone like the shape I'm in gone gone away
My baby's gone away
Gone like a Nixon file gone gone away
Gone like my LANDLORD'S smile gone gone away"

-John Hiatt
edit: corrected spelling

Oh man, I love John Hiatt
From the same record, I think:

Bet Hiatt uses brifters of some sort.

Last edited by desconhecido; 11-11-18 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-12-18, 12:40 PM
rdrummond

Bikes: Surly Straggler, Cannondale CAAD9, Trek 7200 Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a DT shifter—and I love it

I built a Surly that had the downtube mounts and I just had to use them. It has been fine . Especially as I use this mainly for commuting and rail-Trail. But even on hilly routes , you get used to it and can shift very safely. plus I like the durability and ease of maintenance esp if on tour.
Old 11-12-18, 01:00 PM
benadrian
the slow guy

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6, BMC GF02 Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was working on my friend's bike yesterday. It's an 80s Bottecchia with a weird mishmash of bits. The shifters are Shimano 600 7 speed. I got them tuned up and then rode it down to the LBS to get some help removing the pedals. I found myself really enjoying the down tube shifters.

I don't think I'd ever want them on any kind of performance bike. However, I can totally see using them on a lightweight, steel frame city commuter. There's just nothing to them, which is fantastic. Plus, if you go to swaps or can dig through parts bins at shops, some of these older components are basically free.

Now I want to build up a steel city comuter...

Ben
Old 11-12-18, 01:36 PM
SouthFLpix

Bikes: 2007 Giant Cypress DX, Windsor Tourist 2011

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think downtube shifters make sense on a touring bike. The front mech works better as a friction shift when using with a triple because it can be trimmed easily, and otherwise triples are notoriously difficult to keep in perfect tune. Since we are not talking about racing here, the downtube location for rear shifting is not a problem. It's not like you are going get dropped because you missed a shift. As far as the safety issue, ok just don't shift when you are in traffic. Your legs can handle a cadence of plus or minus 10 rpm for 15 seconds without any real drawbacks.

Bar-end shifters, already widely used on touring bikes, require longer cables and I think the cables are also slightly harder to change out should they require replacing on tour. So sure, DT shifters would be very nice on a touring bike, imo. Some, such as myself, would prefer that solution to bar-end shifters.
Old 11-12-18, 01:50 PM
LessTruckMoBike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
By way of injecting some levity, a guy I used to ride with was a hard core DT fan, and in non-indexed mode. When someone asked him why, he said "My indexing is in my hand." ;-)
Old 11-12-18, 02:41 PM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by SouthFLpix
Bar-end shifters, already widely used on touring bikes, require longer cables and I think the cables are also slightly harder to change out should they require replacing on tour.
Nah, unless you consider pushing them through 8" more of housing to be "slightly harder". Exact same setup as DT.

I do wonder for touring, would a frame mount bag interfere with DT at all, with the new bikepacking trends?
Old 11-12-18, 02:57 PM
redhead

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have Dura Ace 7800 10-speed down tube shifters on 3 bikes and 7400 8-speed on 1 bike. My other bikes have 7800 STI. I like both down tube shifters and STI and use each depending on the ride. 7800 down tube shifters are amazing - the front in particular is very fast and smooth.
Old 11-12-18, 03:16 PM
goldcoastjon

Bikes: 52 x 54 cm Eisentraut steel road bike, 51 x 55 cm Windsor Pro (Eroica bike) , 1972 53 x 57 cm Peugeot UO-18 mixte town bike/"truck." UNBUILT FRAMES: 1974 52.5 x 57 cm Jack Taylor Tour of Britain, 1964 52 x 54 Super Mondia, 1979/80 Raleigh Record Ace

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you tried Campagnolo and SRAM brifters or onl Shimano STIs?

I like the Simplex Retrofriction DT shifters on my 1972 Windsor Pro Eroica Bike: they work on friction, not indexing, but friction-shifting (along wioth the now-automatic corrections involved) is just as easy for me as shifting the Campagnolo brifters on my Eisentraut's handlebars. (The only difference is the time and effort needed to move my hands off the bars when using the DT levers.)

I would not mind seeing DT shift levers for the various "brifter" systems, as long as they are made for Campagnolo derailleurs as well as Shimano and SRAM ones...

Last edited by goldcoastjon; 11-12-18 at 03:22 PM. Reason: correcting typos
Old 11-12-18, 03:26 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
I see 5 pages and counting on this topic of choice.

I have to admit that I read just a few postings, but wonder if it has been mentioned that how a bike is set up has a whole lot to do with how well a particular type of shifter is liked.

For example, the fit/sizing issue and resulting stem length, how the rider is positioned relative to the shifters and to the the style of riding.

Then there is the matter of whether the gear ratios are tightly-spaced relative to the terrain.

And for me, since I prefer FRICTION downtube levers, how well does the shifting system's action perform (i.e., are the chain and cogs a good match for each other, has the derailer been adjusted to position the guide pulley quite close to the cogs, and how smoothly that the cabling operates (and how much elasticity has been eliminated, as at the ferrule junctions where the housings are stopped). DT levers work so well in part due to their shortest-possible lengths of cabling!

Under the right set of conditions, downtube levers seem very ergonomic, especially friction levers with their potentially lower operating-force requirements.
But with a tall stem, or with the gearing not suited to the degree that the terrain rolls, or with a poorly-performing derailer, I can imagine that DT levers would seem like a burden despite their inherent simplicity and reliability.

One more thing for me has to do with having to drop to the seated position in order to shift a DT lever. But here I can make this less of an effort by having my saddle positioned relatively far forward, such that the transition between seated and standing on the pedals (due to there being less of a "heave" effort going from one position to the other) is lightning-quick, so with less loss of momentum. This is why a traditional racing position works so well, and why riders of old were able to make their way over hilly terrain with such limited gearing.

And no matter what type of DT levers one chooses, I recommend keeping these (usually old) mechanisms well-lubricated. I've often been amazed how much better they work after some lube has been fed in that penetrates to the pivot. Even if it's just some decent spray lube, dried-out levers really respond to thorough lubrication!

Last edited by dddd; 11-12-18 at 03:29 PM.
Old 11-12-18, 04:41 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by musicmaster
Right. The downtube was the worst spot for shifters. Can't shift while climbing, can't brake quickly if needed, can't shift while sprinting.
There was this Belgian guy who did pretty well with DT shifters a few years back. If memory serves me right his name was Eddy Merckx. He had a modicum of success racing with DT shifters.
Old 11-12-18, 05:14 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by cs1

There was this Belgian guy who did pretty well with DT shifters a few years back. If memory serves me right his name was Eddy Merckx. He had a modicum of success racing with DT shifters.
yup, they all had success with em as its what was available at the time.

Not a good point for or against bringing them back.
Old 11-12-18, 05:39 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
yup, they all had success with em as its what was available at the time.

Not a good point for or against bringing them back.
Looked at in the context of the post I quoted it is an excellent point. What Merck’s did on a steel bike with equipment we consider primitive today has never really been equaled. Those who say I can’t shift, climb or brake withot STI or the likes are deluding themselves. That was the point I was making and I stand by it.
Old 11-12-18, 06:04 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Originally Posted by cs1

If you watch the movie (DVD) Stars and Watercarriers where Merckx wins his (first, I believe) Giro d'Italia. you will see him powering away after his rival, Fuentes, struggles with his bar-end shifter

Ben
Old 11-12-18, 06:12 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by cs1

Looked at in the context of the post I quoted it is an excellent point. What Merck’s did on a steel bike with equipment we consider primitive today has never really been equaled. Those who say I can’t shift, climb or brake withot STI or the likes are deluding themselves. That was the point I was making and I stand by it.
so the abilities of one of the greatest riderd in history is what we should use as a baseline for equipment and also for rider capability?

So tiger woods can score in the 60s with a spoon, mashie, niblick, and putter. Does that mean anything for the game of golf? Of course not.
just because he may be able to be great with old tech shouldnt mean a thing for the golf industry.

same applies to cycling. Just because Merckx was incredible with downtube shifters doesnt mean they should make a comeback or that regular cyclists can use them as well as he could.
The guy could also change his jersey while riding, a task that would lead to many common riders to slam into the pavement.

but hey, a great rider used DT shifters well so obviously amateur riders should climb and shift at the same time.
Old 11-12-18, 06:37 PM
justridingalong

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DT shifters already have made a comeback on L'Eroica bikes along with toe clips. I rode bikes with DT shifters, I did not need any stinkin' indexing. I have a bike with Dura Ace barend shifters I like them more than dt shifters. It's all about personal preference.
Old 11-12-18, 06:52 PM
justridingalong

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bet when Eddy rides his bike now it has Campy brifters, not dt shifters. I never try to tell anyone else that they are using equipment that I don't think is correct. Riders can refer to veloluminatti for correction on everything bike.
Old 11-12-18, 08:27 PM
bcpriess

Bikes: Masi Giramondo, Trek 830 monstercross build, Raleigh Gran Sport, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
OP, you are high. There are exactly zero reasons to use DT shifters in 2018. Zero. Brifters are great, barcons are great, thumbies are great, click shifters are great. They are all great because they don't force you to take your hands off the bars and bend over, to shift. DT's just....suck. The only way you could get me to ride with DTs is if the time were limited to a few hundred miles and at the end you were giving me a Cutthroat. They are never coming back.

Last edited by bcpriess; 11-12-18 at 08:32 PM.
Old 11-12-18, 09:35 PM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by cs1
Originally Posted by cs1
You missed this argument about four pages back. Merckx used downtubes because that was the state of the art tech that was available when he raced. If the same guy was racing today, no doubt he'd have an 11s e-shift setup on a carbon bike. The tech that was used had no effect on him being dominant. In any case, back then there was undoubtedly someone sitting around wondering why these kids needed downtube shifters, when in their day they raced on 3 speed SAs or used rods mounted on the seat tube to shift.

Arguing that one can figure out how to do something isn't really a compelling argument towards using it either. Non-power steering isn't that hard to use in cars, I don't see many people (beyond maybe the Miata cult) begging for it.
Old 11-13-18, 09:06 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
So one second faster. Woah. And if you ride with your hands glued to the hoods.
Or the drops. Basically the places where your hands are when riding a bike, right? Actually, Campy Ergo shift is easier to use from the drops, the thumb lever is a bit annoying from the hoods, especially when on the power. I suppose if your hands are on the bar top, then ergo shifters may be slowed a bit, but who rides there very much? That one second makes a difference though. How much it matters for most of us just depends on how much you value bragging rights with your friends.

I see now why you don't need to bend down to shift - that's one tiny frame! Your shifters are practically mounted to the top tube. I ride frames in the range of 58-62cm. Yes, I definitely have to shift my upper body down to reach DT shifters.

I honestly have to say my best shifting bike has 9sp Campy Ergoshift. Shifts are fast and silent on the rear, only a tiny bit of noise from a front shift. Maybe I never had any high end DT shifter though. I still prefer SRAM because of the ergonomics of their shifter paddle that lets me shift more easily from more hand positions. It may shift with a "click - ka-chunk", but it puts me in the gear I want faster than anything else.
Old 11-13-18, 09:09 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by cs1

Strange thing though, during his entire racing career he never managed to beat a single rider with brifters!

One silly point deserves another...
Old 11-13-18, 09:20 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,542 Times in 7,329 Posts
Pantani using one DT shifter beat guys using brifters. So did Amstrong and Hampsten, among others. Of course, they were for the FD.

Last edited by indyfabz; 11-13-18 at 09:23 AM.
Old 11-13-18, 09:45 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Pantani using one DT shifter beat guys using brifters. So did Amstrong and Hampsten, among others. Of course, they were for the FD.
Are pros really the benchmark?

Their wins have as much to do with dosing as it does equipment.

-Tim-
Old 11-13-18, 09:57 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,542 Times in 7,329 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Are pros really the benchmark?

Their wins have as much to do with dosing as it does equipment.

-Tim-
See post #122 . That is all.
Old 11-13-18, 10:17 AM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by mtb_addict
Does anyone make parts to convert from brifter to DT?

I would be interested in a try if the cost is cheap enough.

Or can DT be hose-clamped to the downtube?
Think I mentioned it on page 1, but you can use something like this and whatever Shimano DT indexed shifters you want. There are a few clamp-on options.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Problem-Solvers-Downtube-Shifter-Mount-Black-318mm-Clamp-With-Shims-For-286?pt_source=googleads&pt_medium=cpc&pt_campaign=shopping_us&pt_keyword=&gclid=CjwKCAiAiarfBRASEiwA w1tYvztVXN5jq1M5ESxYtqbiCWY9O_NiClla_9PJ9cfG3GTfF_RLEufLZhoCOcQQAvD_BwE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.