Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

California air

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

California air

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-18, 05:12 PM
cyclic_eric

Bikes: 1984 Gitane TdF, 1986 Look Équipe, 1983 Colnago Super

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 80 Posts
Thanks ogmtb, caloso!
imo, there are other sites for political rants. I'd rather this one be all about bicycling.
Old 11-19-18, 08:55 PM
cyclic_eric

Bikes: 1984 Gitane TdF, 1986 Look Équipe, 1983 Colnago Super

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 80 Posts
Well, you guys were right. After 4 miles I was feeling a little nauseated. Then, some construction barriers through town required I walk on the sidewalk for a block. Briefly, the air felt soothing, even relaxing.... the next instant I realized I was walking behind a smoker...
I held on for another 4 miles, even had a little fun at it, but turned home. I'd not recommend it.
Cheers all.
Old 11-20-18, 07:54 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by nesdog
I live in the Conejo Valley, smack dab in the middle of the evac zone. We were out for four days. I bailed on our local shop ride on Saturday after just a few miles as the air quality was not exactly epic in favor of the trainer. Didn't see any reason to destroy my lungs.

It's better today, although we have rain coming in. Hoping to get a decent ride on Friday if the rain has stopped.
I live in the same area. Last year the air quality was horrible due to the Thomas Fire, now we are back at it again.
Old 11-20-18, 07:56 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by cyclic_eric
Well, you guys were right. After 4 miles I was feeling a little nauseated. Then, some construction barriers through town required I walk on the sidewalk for a block. Briefly, the air felt soothing, even relaxing.... the next instant I realized I was walking behind a smoker...
I held on for another 4 miles, even had a little fun at it, but turned home. I'd not recommend it.
Cheers all.
Funny comment about the smoker.

I live in the area affected by the two So. Cal. fires, in fact, I had fires to the West and to the East of my location. Not safe for riding.
Old 11-20-18, 08:23 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,986 Times in 569 Posts
I rode Sunday in the San Gabriels and it was crystal clear. No smoke that I could see or smell, nor any ill effects.

I also rode to work Monday (I'm along the coast about 20-30 miles from the fires). Frankly, I forgot about the crappy air quality, but it didn't seem the least bit smoky to me and the measured air quality was said to be "moderate" (only unhealthy for sensitive persons) ... a fairly common occurrence in LA county, albeit not near the coast.

I drove through the burn area Saturday on the way to SLO. It wasn't what I would call smoky, but oy could you smell how much had burned. Don't think I would be riding up there until after some rain.

Old 11-20-18, 10:35 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Here is an interesting photo in today's LA Times. The houses were all incinerated, but the trees are still there:

Most of the pines that sheltered this community still had their canopies intact. The needles, yellowed from the intense heat, were not burned — evidence that the winds that morning had pushed the fire along so fast it never had a chance to rise into the trees. But as a surface fire, it lit up the homes that lay in its path.
https://www.latimes.com/local/califo...120-story.html

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 11-20-18 at 10:40 AM.
Old 11-20-18, 10:37 AM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 488 Posts
Here in the SF Bay Area, the smoke has been absolutely miserable. I haven't exercised for almost two weeks and am going stir crazy. Hopefully I'll get out on the bike this Saturday after the rain forecast for Thanksgiving. I will certainly be thankful if it arrives.

As to our friend @rydabent 's rambling and random suppositions regarding the cause of the fire, everything he has said so far flies in the face of all facts. Best information so far is that the Camp fire was likely initiated by failure of power company transformers. Also, much of the burn area had previously burned and had low fuel buildup, so "forest management" had nothing to do with it. It's very clear why it burned...50+ mph Santa Ana wind conditions, high temperatures and incredibly low humidity resulting from five years of drought which are consistent with worldwide climate change. Shortly after the fire started it was expanding at a rate of about 80 football fields per minute. The idea that an enlarged fleet of air tankers would be able to stave off such a conflagration is laughable. Also, fire breaks are of marginal utility in such wind conditions and sometimes increase the rate of fire advance due to the lack of obstacles to stop flying embers moving at 50 mph
Old 11-20-18, 11:34 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by davester
Here in the SF Bay Area, the smoke has been absolutely miserable. I haven't exercised for almost two weeks and am going stir crazy. Hopefully I'll get out on the bike this Saturday after the rain forecast for Thanksgiving. I will certainly be thankful if it arrives.
They're talking up to 1-1/2" starting tonight... that will be a nice relief. It's been a tiny bit better every day since Friday, which is the worst air I have ever seen.

After the Sonoma County fires last year there was a real sense of community re-building and solidarity... I expect the same for Butte County even though it's so far from the Bay Area.
Old 11-20-18, 04:06 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
In the news. Gov Brown has admitted that President Trump that said forest management was lacking has agreed with him. He is going to change logging and management rules. Finally a glimmer of common sense.

In the mean time for years the burned areas will be pretty much useless. Mountain biking thru ashes cant be much fun.
Old 11-20-18, 04:40 PM
ogmtb
Banned.

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rydabent
In the mean time for years the burned areas will be pretty much useless. Mountain biking thru ashes cant be much fun.
This is, once again, false.

What prompts you comment on something that you have no experience with? Normal folks avoid baseless speculation about things they have no experience with.
Old 11-20-18, 04:42 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
In the news. Gov Brown has admitted that President Trump that said forest management was lacking has agreed with him. He is going to change logging and management rules. Finally a glimmer of common sense..
You're mixing all sorts of things up to reach unwarranted conclusions. Governor Brown changed some logging rules back in August to incentivize removing of fuel by allowing loggers to log large non-fuel trees on private property that are worth a bunch of money with the condition that they cut small ones that represent fuel too. Unfortunately, almost all of the fire prone forests are not on private property and are under federal, not state, management and there has been insufficient federal money to manage the massive accumulation of fuels in federal forests that has been exacerbated by the drought. Brown's move has nothing to do with Trump's recent statements. The National Forest Service has actually been doing a great job managing forest fire risks within the confines of their budget. The problem is that their budget is far too small given the extent of the forests.

Also, note that this would make zero difference in the recent fires because those were in areas with low fuel load. In particular, the Paradise fire was a structure fire...few trees in Paradise burned, just as is shown in @wgscott 's post on the Malibu fires. Here's an explanation for that:
Within Paradise itself, the main fuel feeding the fire wasn’t trees, nor the underbrush Trump suggested should have been raked up. It was buildings. The forest fire became an infrastructure fire. Fire researchers Faith Kearns and Max Moritz describe what can happen when a wildfire approaches a suburban neighborhood during the high-wind conditions common during the California fall: First, a “storm of burning embers” will shower the neighborhood, setting some structures on fire. “Under the worst circumstances, wind driven home-to-home fire spread then occurs, causing risky, fast-moving ‘urban conflagrations’ that can be almost impossible to stop and extremely dangerous to evacuate.” The town of Paradise didn’t just experience a fast-moving wildfire, its own layout, building designs, and city management turned that fire into something even scarier.At first glance, the cause of the Camp Fire seems obvious: Sparks from a power line ignited a brush fire, which grew and grew as high winds drove it toward the town (there were also reports of a possible second ignition point). ...

...The failure of the power line was the precipitating factor, but other factors came into play as well: zoning laws and living patterns, building codes and the types of construction materials used, possibly even the forestry management practices Trump inelegantly referenced https://slate.com/technology/2018/11...interface.html
This is all of great interest to me since I live at the wildland-urban interface and have been following wildfire issues (especially prevention) for some time.
Old 11-20-18, 04:45 PM
ogmtb
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by davester
You're mixing all sorts of things up to reach unwarranted conclusions.
He read, and believed, a FOX news head line. Not surprising given the rest of his uninformed comments.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tru...ement-measures
Old 11-20-18, 04:55 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Thank You Davester from Berkeley
Old 11-20-18, 05:24 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,986 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
I rode Sunday in the San Gabriels and it was crystal clear. No smoke that I could see or smell, nor any ill effects.

I also rode to work Monday (I'm along the coast about 20-30 miles from the fires). Frankly, I forgot about the crappy air quality, but it didn't seem the least bit smoky to me and the measured air quality was said to be "moderate" (only unhealthy for sensitive persons) ... a fairly common occurrence in LA county, albeit not near the coast.

I drove through the burn area Saturday on the way to SLO. It wasn't what I would call smoky, but oy could you smell how much had burned. Don't think I would be riding up there until after some rain.
As they say in the sports biz ... check that. It may not have been smoky Sunday or Monday, but it sure is today. <cough>

Old 11-20-18, 07:59 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by ogmtb
He read, and believed, a FOX news head line. Not surprising given the rest of his uninformed comments.

Got to love the Finnish humor, "Rake America Great Again."
Old 11-20-18, 10:29 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 901 Posts
This is, once again, false.

What prompts you comment on something that you have no experience with? Normal folks avoid baseless speculation about things they have no experience with.
You're back. Still the same. How is Europe?
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 11-20-18, 10:51 PM
ogmtb
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
You're back. Still the same. How is Europe?
I never left. Also, not in Europe.

Hopefully you're joking and learned your lesson about using IP addresses to determine posting location. Or maybe not.
Old 11-21-18, 02:31 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Badly done, inadequate clean up, around the Nuclear power plant in So Cal,
added radio active particles to the smoke, in that fire,
that started around the power plant..

nice short term thinking guys..

Old 11-21-18, 03:44 PM
ogmtb
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Badly done, inadequate clean up, around the Nuclear power plant in So Cal,
added radio active particles to the smoke, in that fire,
that started around the power plant..

nice short term thinking guys..

“The fire did not burn SSFL facilities that previously handled radioactive and hazardous materials,” Dutton said. “It did not extend to the former radioactive materials handling facility, hazardous waste treatment facility, and sodium reactor experiment area, and other buildings in that area.”

Not a nuclear power plant.

No radioactive particles in the smoke.

Facts matter.

https://www.dailynews.com/2018/11/20...act-nasa-says/

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2018...-woolsey-fire/
Old 11-21-18, 08:04 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts

Maybe instead of insulting me, you should to to the fire area and try to convince the people there that forest management and fire control is just wonderful in Calif.

BTW do you mountain bike? What do you think mountain biking in the fire areas will be like for the next ten years?
Old 11-21-18, 08:09 PM
eja_ bottecchia

This thread, like many threads in BF, has devolved into useless name-calling.

What a waste of bandwith.
Old 11-21-18, 08:12 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,599 Times in 3,785 Posts
Thread has been circling the bowel for a while.

Closed.