Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Dry lube. Which one is recommended?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Dry lube. Which one is recommended?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-18, 06:10 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
If I'm recalling correctly, when I lived in SoCal I used WD-40. I don't recall any problems with it. But my then-wife objected to the odor, which is understandable. WD-40 gets up in your nose and seems to pervade everything. But it's cheap, readily available and works great for cleaning old lube and grease, displacing water, and a decent lube if re-applied often. You could do worse than WD-40 if you want to keep it simple and use something that's available at any grocery store or pharmacy.

BTW, I actually used WD-40 *only* on my bike's wheel hubs just before a 75 mile ride. This was late 1970s-early '80s, the Rosarito-Ensenada ride (back then we just called it Tijuana to Ensenada). I think that was also the ride where I rode alongside Bill Walton for awhile -- he was on injured reserve for the Clippers that season. So maybe 1980.

In retrospect it was the dumbest thing I ever did on a bicycle. Before long I'd forgotten the hubs had only WD-40, no grease. I drafted a truck downhill for a few miles at speeds up to 50 mph. Didn't occur to me until later there was no grease to help with cooling. After the ride I inspected the hubs, races and bearings, expecting them to be burnt and needing replacement. But everything was fine. I didn't do that again. Switched back to Phil grease.

WD-40 is okay, but don't do that.
Old 12-01-18, 09:50 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by Wattsup
What I do now is to re-lube the chain between every ride. Here's the scenario. Start out with a sparkling clean chain cleaned in mineral spirits. Lube using wet lube. Go ride. Come back from the ride, chain is dirty. Before next ride I wipe down the chain with a rag moistened with a bit of mineral spirits. Then I lube liberally with wet lube. And then I go ride. Do that for five rides or so, and then go back to step one.
The reason you do all that is because your lubricant requires it. If you are willing to live with the grim, you wouldn’t have to wipe or clean but we all know how that would turn out.

Contrast what you do in toto to what I do. I get a new chain, clean it in mineral spirits, put it on the bike and ride. I lubricate when it needs it...about every 500 to 600 miles...and that’s all. I don’t clean again because it simply doesn’t need. I don’t wipe it after every ride because it doesn’t need it. I don’t even need to remove the chain for any reason other than removal or, in a few cases, work on the drivetrain. When I do remove it, I don’t need gloves to handle the chain.

Having elaborate cleaning procedures doesn’t extend your chain life nor does using a lubricant that requires elaborate cleaning procedures. So the question to ask is why use a lubricant that makes for more work?

Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
When is a chain really "dirty"? One engineer told me that all lubricants contain some detergents and that's what appears to turn dark. Dark because the detergent ingredient is doing its job.

Is there a way to test this? Perhaps if you ride the bike indoors on a trainer as if it were a controlled environment. Ride maybe an hour a day for a week. It doesn't even have to be a strenuous ride. By controlled environment, I would mean with the garage door closed and the room is practically spotless.

Between each day's ride, when the bike is stored, the entire drive is kept covered to prevent any contamination but allowed to breathe with some ventillation.
I wouldn’t say that all lubricants have detergents. Motor oil does but that is for a different purpose and environment. Bicycle lubricants may not as a detergent is unneeded for a exposed system like a bicycle chain. It might even be detrimental since it would increase the water solubility of the lubricant. Some people have pointed out that the detergent in motor oil makes it less desirable as a bicycle chain lubricant.

As to what make the chain black, it is finely divided metal particles (mostly iron) and finely divided soil particles (primarily quartz). And, by finely divided, I mean microscopic or nearly so.

My waxed chain doesn’t collect dirt to a significant extent. Nor does the lubricant have detergents in it. But the lubricant gets a bit black from the chain wear. Since the lubricant sluffs off through design, my chain doesn’t get as black because of the particles but I can see some dark spots.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-01-18, 10:21 AM
Wattsup

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute

The reason you do all that is because your lubricant requires it. If you are willing to live with the grim, you wouldn’t have to wipe or clean but we all know how that would turn out.

Contrast what you do in toto to what I do. I get a new chain, clean it in mineral spirits, put it on the bike and ride. I lubricate when it needs it...about every 500 to 600 miles...and that’s all. I don’t clean again because it simply doesn’t need. I don’t wipe it after every ride because it doesn’t need it. I don’t even need to remove the chain for any reason other than removal or, in a few cases, work on the drivetrain. When I do remove it, I don’t need gloves to handle the chain.

Having elaborate cleaning procedures doesn’t extend your chain life nor does using a lubricant that requires elaborate cleaning procedures. So the question to ask is why use a lubricant that makes for more work?

I wipe and relube my chain after most every ride because it's coated with wet dirt, as I'm usually riding through mud. After only one ride it's coated with what amounts to a lapping compound. I can actually hear the grinding sound, and that's after a rinse with the hose. Again, I'm often riding through mud.

And we haven't even begun talking about how many watts a dirty chain consumes.

Old 12-01-18, 10:36 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius
Not sure if serious. I've often used non-cycling specific lubes on my chains. One of the lubes in the OP's list is 3-in-One's Dry Lube. I'm on my 2nd 4 Oz. bottle of the stuff. IMO, it works as well as cycling specific lubes and only costs $4 a bottle. Most cycling specific chain lubes cost at least twice that much.
Yes, serious. You guys are getting hung up on trivial amounts of money. "Double the price" is still the hardly enormous sum of $4 additional. Here's (at least) a year's supply of excellent dry lube specifically designed for bike chains in a drip bottle specifically designed for applying lube to bike chains shipped to your door for $11: https://www.amazon.com/Finish-Line-Lube-Teflon-3-Pack/dp/B00Z779GMO?ref_=w_bl_hsx_s_sp_web_2591854011&th=1

$11 spread over a year is not even worth thinking about. Good bike lube is cheap and readily available to be shipped to your door. Driving to a hardware store to "save" $3 and get some generic stuff that might be as good is a pointless hassle. This is why I'm saying the OP's question doesn't really make sense. Just go online and order bike lube, job done.

Last edited by Hiro11; 12-01-18 at 10:42 AM.
Old 12-01-18, 11:22 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

I wipe and relube my chain after most every ride because it's coated with wet dirt, as I'm usually riding through mud. After only one ride it's coated with what amounts to a lapping compound. I can actually hear the grinding sound, and that's after a rinse with the hose. Again, I'm often riding through mud.

And we haven't even begun talking about how many watts a dirty chain consumes.
Every ride? You ride in mud every single ride? That’s a lot of mud.

That said, perhaps you should consider wax based chain lubes. First they don’t serve as a trap for grit. Secondly, the wax fills the gaps between the plates and serves as a barrier to grit infiltration. Since there is no flow of the lubricant, there is not mechanism for the grit to get transported from the outer part of the chain to the inner part. There would be less grinding. And, since the lubricant is filling the gaps, anything you wash off the outside of the chain just get washed off instead of getting pushed into the chain.

Although I don’t ride in mud all the time, I do ride in dirt and sand and grit. I fully understand the crunchy chain noise that can result with oil lubricants. I’ve experienced it many times...but only back when I was using oil based lubricants. Since switching to wax lubricants, I haven’t had a crunchy chain in any condition for more than 20 years.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-02-18, 12:54 AM
Wattsup

Every ride? You ride in mud every single ride? That’s a lot of mud.

These days, most every ride, like this one from the other day. So how long would a waxed chain last me in these riding conditions? Do I have to go buy a cordura crockpot bag to mount on the bike?

Old 12-02-18, 01:48 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
These days, most every ride, like this one from the other day. So how long would a waxed chain last me in these riding conditions? Do I have to go buy a cordura crockpot bag to mount on the bike?

Old 12-02-18, 10:44 AM
cyccommute 

A waxed chain will last you about as long oiled one will in those conditions. Perhaps longer for the reasons I gave above. Essentially, the grit covers the outside of the chain like it does your frame. Oil lubricants trap the grit and transport it into the chain. Wiping down the outside of the chain just pushes the grit into the gaps of the chain.

That doesn’t happen with wax based lubricants. The gaps of the chain are filled so that it’s harder to push anything in. Additionally, since the wax doesn’t flow, the grit doesn’t migrate from the outside inward.

To be clear, I’m not talking about hot waxing chains here. I find that method to be just about as involved and tedious as all the cleaning involved with oil based lubricants. Liquid wax lubricants...i.e. solvent based...provide all the cleanliness of wax with the ease of application oil lubricants without the fuss of either. I’ve done multi-week tours that have included 700 miles on dirt roads (out of 1500) including several days of wet dirt riding. The chain was treated with White Lightning. It did fine. It lasted me about what I’d expect out of a chain, about 3500 miles.

The difference between what you do, what hot waxing people do and what I do is that I don’t take the chain off all the time to clean it. Why do more work then you need to do?

Old 12-02-18, 11:16 AM
Wattsup

Originally Posted by KraneXL
Yep, that's me, smile and all.
Old 12-02-18, 11:18 AM
Wattsup

The chain was treated with White Lightning. It did fine. It lasted me about what I’d expect out of a chain, about 3500 miles.

The difference between what you do, what hot waxing people do and what I do is that I don’t take the chain off all the time to clean it. Why do more work then you need to do?
Ok, are you saying your application of White Lightening lasts you the life of your chain? You apply it once and you're done until you're installing another chaon?
Old 12-02-18, 10:07 PM
cyccommute 

Ok, are you saying your application of White Lightening lasts you the life of your chain? You apply it once and you're done until you're installing another chaon?
I never said that at all. I said in post 52 that I apply it about every 500 to 700 miles or about as often as people using oil apply lubricant. I get about the same mileage as people who use oil do. But I only have to clean it once.

Last edited by cyccommute; 12-02-18 at 10:35 PM.
Old 12-03-18, 08:12 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
It's a Troll post.

I can't believe how many bit the troll.
Old 12-03-18, 12:20 PM
jdsyachts

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3, Trek 7900, Sun EZ Tad 3, Canondale F400

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Squirt. My lbs has it
Old 12-03-18, 01:18 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
I can't believe how many bit the troll.
I can't stop laughing everytime I think of using Canola spray. No one on here must use it to cook, because the spray pattern is seriously three inches round when you're a couple inches away Not only that, but $2 for Canola when I use a $4 bottle of Triflow for an entire year!

It's just an excuse for everyone to argue about chain lube because it's cold out
Old 12-03-18, 01:30 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
NFS is the best chain lube.

/thread
Old 12-03-18, 01:35 PM
Marci

Bikes: My Day 6, Big Red.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
I use White Lightning Clean Ride. Makes a huge difference in how bike rides and how clean my chain and spikey things stay. LOL (cannot for the life of me remember what they are called at moment-will probably as soon as I hit send) Its a wax lube which works really well in the PNW. And if I get it on the frame, its no biggie, it shines up nicely too. LOL Oh it was 18.00 for 4 oz but its 2 years old now.
Old 12-03-18, 03:16 PM
slowrevs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yuck, muck!

Originally Posted by PimpMan
Currently used Canola oil spray for $2 since i did not want to deal with any messy chemicals, however after taking a ride it splashed all over the rim where rear brake comes in contact and frame, messy after while.

Need a dry chain lube, don't want to order any specialized stuff just go to local hardware store and buy one.

Currently options are:
Using Canola oil... that's original. Lard might have been better.

Assuming you want something dry to keep it from fouling your clothes and attracting crap onto the chain there are good options for bikes.

In the list you offer, there are no GOOD options for a bicycle chain.

After trying different lube types over the years, I came to realize that bikes deserve their own lubricants because the conditions encountered are different in many respects from what cars, trucks, motorcycles and lawn mowers experience.

Dry lubricants have a tough time penetrating into the friction points of a chain unless they are suspended in a volatile carrier solution. Many years ago there was a motorcycle chain lube that met those requirements, but I have seen no others like it since. There are some lubes for bikes that suspend graphite in oil solutions, but the oil attracts dirt, dust and sand and becomes an abrasive suspension. Plus it is very dirty and wrecks unprotected socks and pant legs.

Finish Line's long lasting DRY BIKE LUBRICANT is very good, though more expensive than your listed options. Finish Line's CERAMIC WAX CHAIN LUBE is the best I've come across to date. Very pricey, but I've found it worth it. Either product, when applied to clean, dry chains, and allowed to penetrate, works well at lubricating. The Wax Lube is water resistant and lasts well, staying clean all the while.

Get 'em from a bike store or online. Your hardware dealer won't stock them unless they deal a lot in bikes.

BTW, the Liquid Wrench Chain Lube does not work well on bikes. It attracts too much thrown up sand and dirt. Got gummy in a hurry. Yuck!

Ride safe.
Old 12-03-18, 04:57 PM
Wattsup

A waxed chain will last you about as long oiled one will in those conditions. Perhaps longer for the reasons I gave above. Essentially, the grit covers the outside of the chain like it does your frame. Oil lubricants trap the grit and transport it into the chain. Wiping down the outside of the chain just pushes the grit into the gaps of the chain.

That doesn’t happen with wax based lubricants. The gaps of the chain are filled so that it’s harder to push anything in. Additionally, since the wax doesn’t flow, the grit doesn’t migrate from the outside inward.

To be clear, I’m not talking about hot waxing chains here. I find that method to be just about as involved and tedious as all the cleaning involved with oil based lubricants. Liquid wax lubricants...i.e. solvent based...provide all the cleanliness of wax with the ease of application oil lubricants without the fuss of either. I’ve done multi-week tours that have included 700 miles on dirt roads (out of 1500) including several days of wet dirt riding. The chain was treated with White Lightning. It did fine. It lasted me about what I’d expect out of a chain, about 3500 miles.

Ok, so I'm ready to go buy some White Lightening. I have a 40 mile gravel ride tomorrow, and I've stripped my chain down with mineral spirits, so I'm good to go. I see there are a couple of versions. Are you using "Clean Ride?" So.....how long do you say this will last before my chain starts squeaking?
Old 12-03-18, 04:59 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1666 Post(s)
Liked 1,818 Times in 1,057 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug5150
The purpose of bicycle chain lube is not lubrication, it is to prevent the chain pins from rusting and falling out.
The chain pins are a rather high-carbon steel, and they corrode very easily. And they must fit into the chain side plates very tight, or else they will tend to work out.
So this is the reason for "wet lube during wet weather". The wet oil is necessary to prevent water corrosion.

The best method is to re-lube every week or so that the chain is wet often, since all liquid oils will absorb moisture and decompose.
It isn't necessary to clean off all the old lube completely, just dump some more on. The old lube solidifies and works out anyway.
Hmph, what we really need then is a product that cleans, lubricates and rustproofs, sort of 3 in One. Maybe someday somebody will come up with a bicycle chain lube like that.

Last edited by tcs; 12-03-18 at 08:15 PM.
Old 12-03-18, 07:32 PM
cyccommute 

Ok, so I'm ready to go buy some White Lightening. I have a 40 mile gravel ride tomorrow, and I've stripped my chain down with mineral spirits, so I'm good to go. I see there are a couple of versions. Are you using "Clean Ride?" So.....how long do you say this will last before my chain starts squeaking?
I use Clean Ride. It does need refreshing after rain but oil based lubricants should be refreshed after wet rides as well. The chain will be noisier than an oiled chain but that noise does not translate into increased wear.

Old 12-03-18, 07:46 PM
Wattsup

I use Clean Ride. It does need refreshing after rain but oil based lubricants should be refreshed after wet rides as well. The chain will be noisier than an oiled chain but that noise does not translate into increased wear.
As long as it doesn't squeak.... I just applied it, and my first thought is that it's messy to apply. The viscosity is very low...it's like dripping mineral spirits on your chain from an eye dropper, and by the smell of it, that's what it mostly is...mineral spirits. Applying "wet lube" (oil) is easier, and you don't need "adequate" ventilation with oil. I apply oil in the basement, but with an open pilot light water heater, I don't dare apply the White Lightening down there.

My "gravel" rides are mostly along creeks, creeks buried in gorges. This time of year the runoff doesn't dry very well. I wouldn't be surprised if I have to apply this stuff for most every ride. So I guess I'll have to work out the logistics of applying this mineral spirits solution with an eye dropper to each link....after most rides. Crock pots are already looking more convenient....
Old 12-03-18, 08:07 PM
tcs
Palmer

Currently used Canola oil...
The cool kids have switched to hemp oil.

Old 12-03-18, 08:09 PM
tcs
Palmer

I apply oil in the basement, but with an open pilot light water heater, I don't dare apply the White Lightening down there.
No, see, it 'melts' the wax so it will flow into the chain, and burns off the carrier.

Old 12-03-18, 08:12 PM
Wattsup

Originally Posted by tcs
No, see, it 'melts' the wax so it will flow into the chain, and burns off the carrier.
That's the Blue Lightening, not White.
Old 12-03-18, 10:38 PM
L134 

Bikes: 1978 Bruce Gordon, 1977 Lippy, 199? Lippy tandem, Bike Friday NWT, 1982 Trek 720, 2012 Rivendell Atlantis, 1983 Bianchi Specialissima?

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 107 Posts

To my mind, noise=friction=wear. I won’t argue whether or not wear is significantly more or less but I don’t like noise so I’ve become disenchanted with dry lube.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.