Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuting with a hiking backpack

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-18, 12:37 AM
bassboy1126

Bikes: State Bicycle Undefeated II

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So recently I've been biking with external frame hiking backpacks. I use a Jansport hiking bag and an REI day pack. Has anyone else tried doing this? I usually gravitate towards bags with a high Liter count and these bags do the trick. A lot of descent biking packs are pretty expensive, but I can find hiking packs at rummage sales for less than $15 and they work just as well, maybe better. What are your thoughts on this?
Old 11-30-18, 01:10 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
If it works for you, who am I to rain on your parade?

But it wouldn’t be my choice.
1) I really try to avoid riding with so much gear in a backpack that an external frame backpack would be needed. Added pressure on butt, hands and arms.
2) where EF packs have their strong side is to be able to carry the load high. I much prefer keeping the weight low on the back for riding.
3) I find that the frame interferes with how I like my back to curve, and occasionally twist during riding.
4) even at 6000+ miles/year, backpack wear is quite far down on the list of commuting costs.
5) by now, I’ve gotten panniers that do the job with greater comfort and sense of control than big packs.
Old 11-30-18, 01:14 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
When I first was cycling in Germany ... I used a 65L Lowe Alpine bag that I had lying around. It worked well and was good for nice 60-100km rides along the river.

Didn't really have a problem and finally switched to a 20L backpack later that I still use everyday 8 years later.

edit: just getting out and riding is all the matters
Old 11-30-18, 02:01 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
I've ridden a couple of century rides carrying a large backpack (internal frame). I found my helmet tended to bump the pack and was uncomfortable.

Anyway, for the occasional use, sure, go ahead and do it.

If you have a lot of cargo to regularly haul, then I'd encourage you to look for something better.
Old 11-30-18, 04:09 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
If you're going to be regular commuting its better to find something you can put on the bike rather than your back. That is anything greater than a slim hydration pack I'll certainly never do it again. Its just too darn uncomfortable.
Old 11-30-18, 04:48 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by KraneXL
If you're going to be regular commuting its better to find something you can put on the bike rather than your back. That is anything greater than a slim hydration pack I'll certainly never do it again. Its just too darn uncomfortable.
Man, you're opening the backpack vs rack debate.

I would go with backpack every time. 20L is perfect for multimodal commuting / shopping in an urban area. If I cycle to the station, then hop on a train/bus/hovercraft, I'd go with a small backpack as would most people over here.
Old 11-30-18, 06:25 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
Depends on how much you gotta carry. I use a small backpack almost all the time. I just don't have that much to carry. If OP is carrying a lot of stuff, then certainly a larger backpack would be needed, but there is a point where carrying a heavy load on your back is going to not only put pressure on your back, but also your hands, and worst of all, your sit bone. I've carry a 15-lb watermelon one time on a backpack, and it was just for 2 km, and I felt it most on my sit bone.

Might want to reconsider this idea, OP.
Old 11-30-18, 10:19 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Interesting.
My external frame pack carries the weight way too high for how I ride (relatively aero). I guess it could work if you are more upright. Big bonus is that their is air circulation so you won't sweat that much (not that this is a concern this time of year, lol).

I use a messenger bag (with front cross strap) to keep my weight down low (on my pelvis) and eliminate the sweat issue.
Old 11-30-18, 10:32 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
If it works do it. My son uses a large frameless luggage backpack 'cause he needs to hold large textbooks and multiple 3" binders for school.

I tried an internal frame pack but it dug into the back of my neck and I couldn't lift my head up.
Old 11-30-18, 10:39 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by chas58
Interesting.
My external frame pack carries the weight way too high for how I ride (relatively aero). I guess it could work if you are more upright. Big bonus is that their is air circulation so you won't sweat that much (not that this is a concern this time of year, lol).

I use a messenger bag (with front cross strap) to keep my weight down low (on my pelvis) and eliminate the sweat issue.
It doesn't work (I have the Timbuk2), and I don't ever want anything on my back while cycling again.
Old 11-30-18, 11:27 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
If you're riding a road bike that requires bending over the bars a bit, a pack with a rigid frame that doesn't bend as your back bends can be pretty uncomfortable. I have a camelback-style pack that has a rigid mesh back so that my pack doesn't smash against my back and make it sweaty. It works great on my mountain bike, but when I tried it on my fast road bike it was extremely uncomfortable so I don't use it there.
Old 11-30-18, 11:38 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
I use a Kelty Shrike when it's cold out, and I think that's got a 32L capacity. It works great for me.
Old 11-30-18, 03:36 PM
bassboy1126

Bikes: State Bicycle Undefeated II

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alright what about this. You're going to get 3 good sized bags of groceries. Which backpack would all of you choose? Let's say you'll be in somewhat of an upright position on your bike.
Old 11-30-18, 04:53 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
What's better or what's best is a matter of personal opinion...Personally I've been using different types of roll-top backpacks for the past 12 years and have no intention of changing anything, I just hate carrying any type of load on my bike and prefer to carry it on my own body instead.
Old 11-30-18, 04:55 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by bassboy1126
Alright what about this. You're going to get 3 good sized bags of groceries. Which backpack would all of you choose? Let's say you'll be in somewhat of an upright position on your bike.
A roll-top backpack. They are very convenient for doing shopping, they have one big open compartment and are very easy to load and unload.
Old 11-30-18, 06:49 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
I commuted wearing a backpack for a year. That was enough for me, but it wouldn’t have been as big a deal if it were like 5 miles or less I think. I’d never have been on the bike long enough to sweat much and it would have meant not less strain on my body but for shorter amounts of time. For me, it was cumulative and now I have lower back pain where there was none before.

Edit: the grocery store is 2 miles from home. If I needed to grab 3 bags of stuff and had a hiking backpack to do it with - hell yes that’s how I’d do it. But I’d only use it for short occasional trips like that.
Old 11-30-18, 06:59 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
About the "only" reason I use a back pack it for the 2L of water I have in it, If I don't need the water I tend to leave it behind...
Old 12-01-18, 02:49 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by wolfchild
What's better or what's best is a matter of personal opinion...Personally I've been using different types of roll-top backpacks for the past 12 years and have no intention of changing anything, I just hate carrying any type of load on my bike and prefer to carry it on my own body instead.
Whenever I reefer to better that means I have functional examples to support it. Still, I suppose there are people somewhere in the world who prefer to sleep on a hard surface than sleep on a soft one.
Old 12-01-18, 02:53 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Whenever I reefer to better that means I have functional examples to support it. Still, I suppose there are people somewhere in the world who prefer to sleep on a hard surface than sleep on a soft one.
I love firm beds and cycling backpacks (20L). I'm not alone. We always find these huge American boxspring/mattresses kinda strange when we use them.

Gimme a lattenrost every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=lattenrost&safe=strict&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjb8drgoP7eAhUlCcAKHYOgCZgQ_AUID ygC&cshid=1543654499722000&biw=1196&bih=618
Old 12-01-18, 07:52 AM
wolfchild
Banned

And how is carrying things on a bike more functional than carrying it on your body ??...What type of functional are we talking about ??...Is it about functionality or is it strictly about comfort ??

Last edited by wolfchild; 12-01-18 at 07:56 AM.
Old 12-01-18, 08:12 AM
acidfast7
Banned

And how is carrying things on a bike more functional than carrying it on your body ??...What type of functional are we talking about ??...Is it about functionality or is it strictly about comfort ??
Some people you can't argue with.
Old 12-01-18, 08:25 AM
KraneXL

Higher center-of-gravity. Something that you notice immediately especially when you already sit tall in the saddle. The straps can also bind and interfere with your breathing. The last thing you need is to have the weight shift when you lean into a turn.

You also mentioned comfort, and while not functional will certainly shorten your duration and/or make your ride a whole lot less enjoyable. I've had times when the weight was so bad I literally had to stop and walk.
Old 12-01-18, 09:18 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
I find backpack strapped onto my back better for "aggressive" riding. Yes, higher weight and moves as I move, but I'm the one controling it. When it's on the rear rack, the bike beneath me is heavier, less responsive somehow.

Having said that, for most casual riding, I much prefer the backpack strapped to the rear rack - always do it that way. It's a lot more comfortable and it is a bit more aero.
Old 12-01-18, 10:36 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Higher center-of-gravity. Something that you notice immediately especially when you already sit tall in the saddle. The straps can also bind and interfere with your breathing. The last thing you need is to have the weight shift when you lean into a turn.

You also mentioned comfort, and while not functional will certainly shorten your duration and/or make your ride a whole lot less enjoyable. I've had times when the weight was so bad I literally had to stop and walk.
I find bike handling to be much better with a back pack than with loaded panniers. I can ride a lot more aggressively and have better control of my bike. I am using small backpacks which are about 20-25 liters.
You mention that your pack was so heavy that you had to stop, were you carrying an anvil or something ??:....Being a little uncomfortable is good , it makes you stronger and builds mental toughness.
Old 12-01-18, 01:16 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by bassboy1126
So recently I've been biking with external frame hiking backpacks. What are your thoughts on this?
I saw a boy scout troop touring with external frame backpacks in Maine once. They seemed to be OK with it. I prefer to let the bike do the work with panniers but if you can make a trail pack work on your bike I am not offended.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.