Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I Got a New Bike!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-18, 09:45 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,534 Times in 1,044 Posts
Originally Posted by radroad
You didn't account for the rack itself. It's more fun to ride without it.
So you've had an epiphany? BFD.
Why go at your new found freedom in a halfsie way?

Liberate yourself as well as your bike!

Old 12-08-18, 10:16 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
ok, so what you do is great for your situation. It's cool to hear the different setups people use to commute.
declaring an entire setup as useless is what creates disagreement because it isnt useless, its just not ideal for you.

if I had a 15mi bike ride, to a 20min ferry ride, to a 5min bike ride unto work- my back would be a swesty mess with a backpack so that wouldnt be ideal for me. Perhaps it would work for someone who doesn't sweat as much.

options allow more people to commute in the way they like the most. That doesnt mean other ways are useless.
Well. I have tried many different ways thus I can directly compared them and state which ones of rubbish. Also, for what it's worth, I never seen anyone carrying a briefcase on the tube (its always a backpack). Maybe the people with briefcases has car service and don't use public transport.
Old 12-08-18, 10:18 AM
acidfast7
Banned

You're free to count the number of backpacks versus other means of carrying things including panniers. I did catch a briefcase and about 100 backpacks in those 3 minutes.

Last edited by acidfast7; 12-08-18 at 12:12 PM.
Old 12-08-18, 10:35 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Another example with timing

Last edited by acidfast7; 12-08-18 at 12:13 PM.
Old 12-08-18, 01:40 PM
radroad

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I suppose the 1.5# a quality aluminum pannier rack weighs is noticable. I admittedly only have a rack on the bike i use when wanting to carry things(commute, tour, shop), so its awesome that removing a rack has made riding more fun for you.
It's 1.76 lbs and yes, the weight is noticeable. Whether it's aluminum or not has no bearing. I didn't expect this to be such a great bike: I bought it strictly as a winter/beater/utility/grocery hauler. Just the weight alone of the rear rack was enough to slow down handling enough to make the bike noticeably less fun to ride. It immediately went from very fun to not fun at all. Putting the bag, panniers, lock and cable and then other stuff I hauled put it into a different category altogether.

I'll likely have to put the rack back on in the next few days: I can haul 3x+ as much stuff, easily with.
Old 12-08-18, 02:00 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,434 Times in 816 Posts
Why explain

You have no reason to explain anything to anybody, about what and how you ride. If it works for you keep working it.
Old 12-08-18, 03:28 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,534 Times in 1,044 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
You have no reason to explain anything to anybody, about what and how you ride. If it works for you keep working it.
But that would have meant not posting the OP!
Old 12-08-18, 04:30 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
The best solution is to have multiple bikes...One bike without racks and panniers for commuting and recreational riding and another bike set up for hauling large loads of groceries.
Old 12-08-18, 05:31 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
you have no reason to explain anything to anybody, about what and how you ride. If it works for you keep working it.
+100!
Old 12-08-18, 06:17 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,434 Times in 816 Posts
More is better!

Originally Posted by wolfchild
The best solution is to have multiple bikes...One bike without racks and panniers for commuting and recreational riding and another bike set up for hauling large loads of groceries.
I cannot disagree with that statement. I have 4: fast, racy titanium; older steel road that I have sort of hybridyzed (my jump on and ride bike); Gravel/endurance carbon fiber and a commute/errand set up with racks and panniers, heavy duty wheels and wide tires. I use and like riding all of them.
Old 12-08-18, 09:16 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
Originally Posted by radroad
It's 1.76 lbs and yes, the weight is noticeable. Whether it's aluminum or not has no bearing. I didn't expect this to be such a great bike: I bought it strictly as a winter/beater/utility/grocery hauler. Just the weight alone of the rear rack was enough to slow down handling enough to make the bike noticeably less fun to ride. It immediately went from very fun to not fun at all. Putting the bag, panniers, lock and cable and then other stuff I hauled put it into a different category altogether.

I'll likely have to put the rack back on in the next few days: I can haul 3x+ as much stuff, easily with.
ok, sounds good.

the 1.5# was referring to my rack, I didn't know what yours weighs. I personally don't notice a rack slowing down handling, but to each their own.
enjoy it however you want to ride.
Old 12-09-18, 07:59 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,524 Times in 7,325 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7
Panniers are useless for mutlimodal commuting.
Wut

Bike-train-bike commute to my satellite office in another state with panniers. Sure beats my messenger bag on my back when it's 90F and/or humid. And I have enough room for dinner fixings should I decide to stop at the market on the way home.
Old 12-09-18, 11:44 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
One of my bikes is a proper workhorse. It carries my kid, and shopping, and occasionally a trailer. Here it is doing the annual tip-run..

But it's not for the BMX track. Or a quick sprint over the pub or to a mate's house. Or for a morning workout. I have other bikes for those.

Experiment. Try different things. Ride different things.
Old 12-09-18, 11:25 PM
radroad

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
Is there a 'quick release' rear rack that can carry as much as a standard rack, up to say, 50 lbs (or close to it)? The quick release rack I found only carries 25 lbs max. I wouldn't have a lot of confidence in it.
Old 12-10-18, 01:36 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Wut

Bike-train-bike commute to my satellite office in another state with panniers. Sure beats my messenger bag on my back when it's 90F and/or humid. And I have enough room for dinner fixings should I decide to stop at the market on the way home.
Sure. If you in a not tightly packed public transport. Over here (London area) everything is jammed and there's a lot of walking.

Note the two cyclists getting on at 470s or 7m50s (it's very rude to wear a backpack on the tube itself, it should be handheld to save space, but on the shoulders it goes once off the tube.)

Old 12-10-18, 01:45 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
personally, I just cycle over to ALDI or LIDL with a backpack and it's not a problem. Backpacks always win, hands down. Panniers are useless for mutlimodal commuting.
Some fold...and I disagree anyway, baskets/panniers are something I want on most of my bikes.
Old 12-10-18, 01:48 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
So you've had an epiphany? BFD.
Why go at your new found freedom in a halfsie way?

Liberate yourself as well as your bike!

I'm here to get somewhere, not freak out the neighbors.
Old 12-10-18, 02:27 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by Rollfast
Some fold...and I disagree anyway, baskets/panniers are something I want on most of my bikes.
We'll if you don't need free hands, that I can see how it works. But, I'm going up down between 10-20 flights are stairs / escalators and walking about 1mi when I cross London (and it's jammed with people), thus a backpack makes sense as I have shown in the videos. If you don't utilise major urban facilities/areas, I get your argument.
Old 12-10-18, 02:33 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by Rollfast
I'm here to get somewhere, not freak out the neighbors.
Why, would anyone freak out seeing a naked person? Americans do have this weird acceptance/non acceptance of violence/nudity that's unlike anywhere else in the world.

Even when I lived in Münich, they would be naked people in the city quite often and it's nice that the river still flows through downtown

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/a...ked-Zones.html
Old 12-10-18, 09:12 AM
Oakman

Bikes: Road, hybrid, and SS

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 37 Posts
Different strokes... I much prefer carrying weight on my bike rather than on my back. Lived in Los Angeles with a family of four in the 1970's, sans car, and commuted to work, school, and shopping on a PX10 with a rear rack. I almost always had a backpack, but usually carried it on the rack. Two grocery sacks (no plastic then) would fit nicely on the rack. More than that would require the panniers. I believe that weight is best carried low on a bike - lower center of gravity. And it only took a few minutes to remove the rack for some fast fun. Although I rarely did so, as it affected handling very, very little. In fact, I'd guess bike performance would be better with a heavy load on a rack than on your back.
Old 12-10-18, 09:26 AM
Oakman

Bikes: Road, hybrid, and SS

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 37 Posts
Why, would anyone freak out seeing a naked person? Americans do have this weird acceptance/non acceptance of violence/nudity that's unlike anywhere else in the world.
Yes, we prefer our nudity to be violent.

And why would anyone freak out seeing a mass shooting?
Old 12-10-18, 09:48 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by Oakman

And why would anyone freak out seeing a mass shooting?
That's gun ownership issue, again, where America is unique in the world.
Old 12-10-18, 11:40 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I think anyone who lives in an urban area would go backpack. Anyone living in the woods and having a 25 mile RT commute to work in a metro might have an argument for a pannier, but once something needs to be carried by hand or as an uncomfortable backpack it's out for me as that degrades daily life too much.

If you're in a hot, humid climate, a backpack can be a nightmare even on a short ride Also tends to mess up anything breakable or bruisable, so very limited grocery use IME. I've managed to carry eggs in a pannier. I would never do that in a backpack.
Old 12-10-18, 11:45 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts

Even when I lived in Münich, they would be naked people in the city quite often and it's nice that the river still flows through downtown

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/a...ked-Zones.html
Neighbors reacting badly would be close to but not at the very top of the reasons I would not want to ride a bike fully naked.

OTOH, part of that bad reaction would probably result in an immediate arrest, so I may have to reconsider the order of my list of reasons.
Old 12-10-18, 12:12 PM
cycleworld51

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any good solutions for carrying camping gear for a one or two night trip on a bike instead of a backpack?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.