Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

I just saw someone's bicycle tyre go flat...

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

I just saw someone's bicycle tyre go flat...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-18, 02:04 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,432 Times in 2,539 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7
Someone was riding on the pavement/sidewalk, which is poor form at a high rate of speed.
Ugh. Acidfast, you're better than this. speed is the rate of change in position. acceleration is the rate of change of speed. "rate of speed" is what somebody ignorant says when they mean "speed" but want to sound more pretentious. (The well-informed way to sound pretentious is to say "velocity")
Old 12-11-18, 03:57 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
Meh, cops and criminals all the same to me. I take no joy in the misfortune of others, but without anybody getting hurt, I'd say watching somebody else flat would probably be equally as satisfying. It's like seeing a bald eagle or a coyote or something in the wild. "Don't get to see that every day". And the guy was OK, and he was in town, and able to walk. No harm, no foul. Not like @acidfast7 sprinkled glass on the pavement. Gotta be able to have a sense of humor about punctures.
Old 12-11-18, 11:56 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
Ugh. (The well-informed way to sound pretentious is to say "velocity")
Velocity is a vector. If you don't include the direction you sound like a liberal arts major.
Old 12-12-18, 01:29 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
Velocity is a vector. If you don't include the direction you sound like a liberal arts major.
or management
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 12-12-18, 01:50 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Ugh. Acidfast, you're better than this. speed is the rate of change in position. acceleration is the rate of change of speed. "rate of speed" is what somebody ignorant says when they mean "speed" but want to sound more pretentious. (The well-informed way to sound pretentious is to say "velocity")
Godammit, you should like me when I ask if someone means an increased rate or an increased rate constant.

You'll have to forgive me as I was in awe of never having seen a tyre go flat live. I was awestruck. I was on a Schadenfreude high!
Old 12-12-18, 08:48 AM
clengman

Bikes: '73 Schwinn World Voyageur, '98 Nishiki BSO

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 61 Posts
Godammit, you should like me when I ask if someone means an increased rate or an increased rate constant.

You'll have to forgive me as I was in awe of never having seen a tyre go flat live. I was awestruck.
I can understand this kind of Aspie fascination in watching a physical process unfold. I can stare for hours at "The most satisfying videos in the world" on YouTube.

I was on a Schadenfreude high!
That's just mean, though. Not saying I never experience schadenfreude (no need to capitalize it) but when I do, it usually comes with at least a twinge of guilt. The way you're describing it, it's not a very complex or subtle emotion for you. Sounds like you just like it.

I'm also not sure what you're seeing in the videos you posted. In the first, the car was clearly slowing to a stop before the cyclist entered the intersection. I would have ridden right through as well. How do you know he didn't have his hands on the brakes?

In the second, he was instructing a group of less inexperienced riders how to ride confidently in traffic while obeying traffic laws. I can't see a single thing they did wrong.
Old 12-12-18, 09:06 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by clengman
schadenfreude (no need to capitalize it)
I always capitalise German nouns such as Schadenfreude even when they are employed as a loan word in English.
Old 12-12-18, 09:35 AM
clengman

Bikes: '73 Schwinn World Voyageur, '98 Nishiki BSO

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 61 Posts
I always capitalise German nouns such as Schadenfreude even when they are employed as a loan word in English.
Cool unnecessary affectation, bro.
Old 12-12-18, 09:45 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
I can understand this kind of Aspie fascination in watching a physical process unfold.
Hey thanks for the new (to me) word. Seems an apt description for some of the posts and posting behavior/habits seen on BF.
Old 12-12-18, 11:00 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by DiabloScott
Old 12-12-18, 11:07 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Cool unnecessary affectation, bro.
Learn the language that the root word comes from and get back to me. Hilariously, I can't type non-latin based text into BF without moderator approval.
Old 12-12-18, 11:30 AM
Phamilton
Virgo

Originally Posted by alan s
Researchers have found that there are three driving forces behind schadenfreude: aggression, rivalry, and justice. People who experience schadenfreude usually have low self esteem. Seeing another person fail brings them a small surge of confidence. Whereas, seeing someone who is successful poses as a threat to their sense of self and seeing the 'mighty' fall can be a source of comfort[4].
While not arguing that this may be the truth, Shadenfreude is a pretty harmless way of releasing aggression, rivalry, and justice - human traits for sure but among the less desirable ones to indulge in. Politics and religion are far worse at propagating aggression, rivalry, and justice, with more harmful effects. Low self esteem isn't in and of itself any more harmful than high self esteem, and examples of agreeably wicked humans come from both sides. Someone who sees successful people as a threat must be pretty new to low self esteem.
Old 12-12-18, 11:15 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
I am pretty sure that any preschooler watching cartoon slapstick can experience schadenfreude without feeling low self esteem
Old 12-17-18, 02:08 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Yes, schadenfreude -
Too-fast dude takes a hard turn,
Then he gets a flat.
Old 12-17-18, 03:34 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Disregard for the approaching auto from the right. Didn't break cadence for a second. Would be the first to complain that "cagers" don't pay attention. Probably in full lycra and competing in the Tour d'Strava in Blommingdale, IN or a similar locale.
I cycle in a very traffic intense area, see the photos I posted. This person in that video seems oblivious. At a minimum they should have stopped pedaling (freewheeled) and shifted hands/fingers to the front brake lever. This wouldn't have been noticeable to the driver (not giving way at all) but would position the rider with the ability to stop more rapidly. Neither of those occured.

Judgemental maybe, but it is a relatively dark evening and the cyclist is coming out of the tree cover, they should be somewhat more attentive.
Are you seriously suggesting that bicyclists should slow down every time they approach an intersection where there is a car perpendicular to their line of travel? If the cyclists has a yield sign, then I would agree but the motorists in that video had a stop sign which indicates that the vehicle...car or bicycle...on the road that the cyclist was riding on has the right of way. There is absolutely no reason for the cyclist to even consider slowing in that situation.

Additionally, you could not see the cyclists hands, feet nor bicycle. You can't draw any conclusions as to the cyclists readiness to brake if they needed to. Additionally, the cyclist flatted in the middle of the intersection so he was slowing anyway. His hands had to be on the brakes.

This is the same person and it shows everything I need to know.
Then you don't know much. The YouTube poster was making a left turn in exactly the manner in which he should have either alone or in a group. I could quibble a little with the turn on to the side path...I would have turned onto the street but that is a minor quibble. The motorist was clearly in the wrong as the intersection is clearly marked for left and through/right turn lanes. The motorist overtook the group of cyclists because they didn't want to wait for a clearly legal left turn by the group of bicyclists.

In other words, the motorist was a bone head.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 12-17-18 at 03:37 PM.
Old 12-17-18, 03:41 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Prior to learning of this Schadenfreude, I watched compilation videos of bike crashes on YouTube, because I thought they were funny. Now I realize it's only because I have low self esteem, aggression, rivalry, and a lust for justice!
Old 12-18-18, 01:34 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Are you seriously suggesting that bicyclists should slow down every time they approach an intersection where there is a car perpendicular to their line of travel? If the cyclists has a yield sign, then I would agree but the motorists in that video had a stop sign which indicates that the vehicle...car or bicycle...on the road that the cyclist was riding on has the right of way. There is absolutely no reason for the cyclist to even consider slowing in that situation.

Additionally, you could not see the cyclists hands, feet nor bicycle. You can't draw any conclusions as to the cyclists readiness to brake if they needed to. Additionally, the cyclist flatted in the middle of the intersection so he was slowing anyway. His hands had to be on the brakes.

Then you don't know much. The YouTube poster was making a left turn in exactly the manner in which he should have either alone or in a group. I could quibble a little with the turn on to the side path...I would have turned onto the street but that is a minor quibble. The motorist was clearly in the wrong as the intersection is clearly marked for left and through/right turn lanes. The motorist overtook the group of cyclists because they didn't want to wait for a clearly legal left turn by the group of bicyclists.

In other words, the motorist was a bone head.
They shouldn't go left directly onto the sidewalk (or **** excuse of an MUP). And, if so, they should be on the right side of the left lane or the left side of the left-most straight-going lane and not in the center of the left-turning lane.
Old 12-18-18, 10:32 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
They shouldn't go left directly onto the sidewalk (or **** excuse of an MUP). And, if so, they should be on the right side of the left lane or the left side of the left-most straight-going lane and not in the center of the left-turning lane.
I said that I wouldn't necessarily go to the bike path but the group did nothing wrong in making a left turn to that path. But they were positioned properly for any left turn, no matter where they ended up. If they were on the right side of the left turn lane, the car still shouldn't have tried to get past them.

Turning from the straight through lane is both illegal and unsafe. It would have encouraged the motorist to pass them on the left while they were making a left turn. That is hardly a safe maneuver for either vehicle. The motorist had no expectation that they could pass the group in any case and was completely in the wrong.

...As are your thoughts on the situation. They were turning in a legal manner and completely within their rights to make the turn in the way that they did. Any other method of making that turn would place all parties involve in a hazardous situation. The motorist should have turned left behind the group, just as they would have had to if the group was in a bus.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-18-18, 10:50 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by cyccommute
I said that I wouldn't necessarily go to the bike path but the group did nothing wrong in making a left turn to that path. But they were positioned properly for any left turn, no matter where they ended up. If they were on the right side of the left turn lane, the car still shouldn't have tried to get past them.

Turning from the straight through lane is both illegal and unsafe. It would have encouraged the motorist to pass them on the left while they were making a left turn. That is hardly a safe maneuver for either vehicle. The motorist had no expectation that they could pass the group in any case and was completely in the wrong.

...As are your thoughts on the situation. They were turning in a legal manner and completely within their rights to make the turn in the way that they did. Any other method of making that turn would place all parties involve in a hazardous situation. The motorist should have turned left behind the group, just as they would have had to if the group was in a bus.
Dude, we can fight all day.

I just think is was half assed.

If I was in a big group like them with a lot of inexperienced rider, like they were. I would've stayed in the bike lane as it was green and crossed and stopped at the ****astic sidewalk/MUP. They I wouldn't push the walk indicator and waiting for the green indication. Then crossed that main street.

I think there's significant risk due to the lack of driver education about bikes in the US. In addition, fewer drivers cycle like they do in Europe, so the drivers over here understand the riders better.

Thus, with my method, it would've taken an extra minute or two, the group could've chatted and they're would be no reason for shouting between car and bikes.

What they did was legal but risker risk due to bad driver training in the US. I don't see the need to do it that way.

But, like I said we can fight all day and I can post American cyclists "taking the lane" and/or being ******** (not these guys) or taking additional risk with not net gain (these guys) all day long. I'll relax over here where we all get along with our nice cycling infrasturcture, decent driver training and streetside cafes.
Old 12-18-18, 11:39 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Simple answer within a question - If it were a car, truck, slow construction vehicle, etc. turning left in that lane, but just going slow, would the driver of that sedan have been justified in turning left from the straight-through lane, just out of impatience?

Also, the move onto the MUP is essentially a RIGHT shift following the left turn; the situation would have been no different if the group had decided to continue on the road after the turn. Anyone else turning left, LEGALLY and SAFELY, would have done so BEHIND them, so it wouldn't matter if they shifted over to the MUP or stayed on the road. The only thing that made the situation unsafe was the conduct of the sedan driver.

As for staying "out of" the traffic lanes, indeed, US car drivers are poorly trained. But cyclists relegating themselves to such options only perpetuates that bad training. Car drivers will NOT learn this stuff from a book, or from a test that they'll eventually pass just by memorizing the right things. They'll ONLY learn by the PRESENCE of cyclists AS traffic, i.e. EXPERIENCE. It's like the adage about the freshly painted park bench - all the "Wet Paint" signs in the world aren't enough for some, who just have to touch it.
Old 12-18-18, 11:48 AM
Phamilton
Virgo

It’s harder to KOM using bike lanes and trails. Always somebody slower in the way. I’m a big boy, like to ride fast in traffic with cars, show ‘em who’s the boss. Nobody passes me until I say so. More KOMs that way too. I even create my own private Strava segments so I can always have some KOMs. My 12 mile commute, I have split into 135 separate segments. I created them all one morning and then had 135 KOMs waiting for me when I got to work, I didn’t even have to ride fast. Next day I rode a little faster, whalaah 135 more KOMs. It’s like Pokémon go for serious, avid, hardcore cyclists such as myself, although can’t think of anybody more hardcore than myself at the moment. I wish I could cash the KOMs in for something at the bike shop like tickets for toys at the arcade. They’d basically owe me a brand new carbon fiber bike, not that I need a lighter bike, mine is already almost down to 12 lbs. I’m basically a local Strava celebrity. Flat tires really make KOMs hard, so I keep a 1 liter of Mountain Dew and an 8 oz bottle of honey in my pannier for “honey shots”, little pick me up after a flat slows me down. I usually KOM a lot after honey shots. This one time this guy on a MTB tried to pass me so I knocked him off his bike and stole his jersey. Talk about king of the mountain. Is it still Schadenfreude if you cause the suffering? He was gonna suffer one way or the other, he was basically asking for it. He barely had any facial hair, just like a little thin scruff on his chin, not a thick glorious beard like mine. It was better to lose his jersey than to have to eat the rubber flying off my rear tire. And better for the environment. He should have thanked me. I took a honey shot right in front of his face and then rode away. People just need to know where they belong, and I don’t mind helping them figure out where it is. Thats basically how I tour, too. KOMs all the way out and back. Man I love KOMs.
Old 12-18-18, 11:51 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by madpogue
Simple answer within a question - If it were a car, truck, slow construction vehicle, etc. turning left in that lane, but just going slow, would the driver of that sedan have been justified in turning left from the straight-through lane, just out of impatience?

Also, the move onto the MUP is essentially a RIGHT shift following the left turn; the situation would have been no different if the group had decided to continue on the road after the turn. Anyone else turning left, LEGALLY and SAFELY, would have done so BEHIND them, so it wouldn't matter if they shifted over to the MUP or stayed on the road. The only thing that made the situation unsafe was the conduct of the sedan driver.

As for staying "out of" the traffic lanes, indeed, US car drivers are poorly trained. But cyclists relegating themselves to such options only perpetuates that bad training. Car drivers will NOT learn this stuff from a book, or from a test that they'll eventually pass just by memorizing the right things. They'll ONLY learn by the PRESENCE of cyclists AS traffic, i.e. EXPERIENCE. It's like the adage about the freshly painted park bench - all the "Wet Paint" signs in the world aren't enough for some, who just have to touch it.
No, you're missing the point.

The only way to gain experience with a cyclist on the streets, is to become a cyclist.

Secondly, even though the cyclists were doing anything illegal. The risk:reward ratio dictates that the minimal gain by not waiting and extra minute at the red light was already lost by having an altercation with a driver. The whole group of people was put in risk for no gain, IMHO.

I would've done it that way myself, but not with the gf who doesn't cycle so often as that looks like it can be a very high speed left turn (25+ mph).

In addition, the cyclists are taking a route that a car cannot, so if they slow down after turning left to enter the MUP, the driver will be even more confused.

It's just to high risk:reward for me given the average driver in the US.

I also think making a chain of cyclist that looks to be 30m (100ft) long is very poor form by the cyclists and probably confusing as **** for the driver who thought they were going to pass one cyclist and then saw a megalong chain, which is most likely why the driver ended up there.

I wouldn't recommend against everything in that video the cyclists were doing expect using the bike lane at the beginning.
Old 12-18-18, 12:11 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by Phamilton
It’s harder to KOM using bike lanes and trails. Always somebody slower in the way. I’m a big boy, like to ride fast in traffic with cars, show ‘em who’s the boss. Nobody passes me until I say so. More KOMs that way too. I even create my own private Strava segments so I can always have some KOMs. My 12 mile commute, I have split into 135 separate segments. I created them all one morning and then had 135 KOMs waiting for me when I got to work, I didn’t even have to ride fast. Next day I rode a little faster, whalaah 135 more KOMs. It’s like Pokémon go for serious, avid, hardcore cyclists such as myself, although can’t think of anybody more hardcore than myself at the moment. I wish I could cash the KOMs in for something at the bike shop like tickets for toys at the arcade. They’d basically owe me a brand new carbon fiber bike, not that I need a lighter bike, mine is already almost down to 12 lbs. I’m basically a local Strava celebrity. Flat tires really make KOMs hard, so I keep a 1 liter of Mountain Dew and an 8 oz bottle of honey in my pannier for “honey shots”, little pick me up after a flat slows me down. I usually KOM a lot after honey shots. This one time this guy on a MTB tried to pass me so I knocked him off his bike and stole his jersey. Talk about king of the mountain. Is it still Schadenfreude if you cause the suffering? He was gonna suffer one way or the other, he was basically asking for it. He barely had any facial hair, just like a little thin scruff on his chin, not a thick glorious beard like mine. It was better to lose his jersey than to have to eat the rubber flying off my rear tire. And better for the environment. He should have thanked me. I took a honey shot right in front of his face and then rode away. People just need to know where they belong, and I don’t mind helping them figure out where it is. Thats basically how I tour, too. KOMs all the way out and back. Man I love KOMs.
What's a KOM?
Old 12-18-18, 12:27 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Knight Of Movement, I believe, indicating a record time on a Strava segment or really good performance in a stage race.

Or perhaps
Kangaroo Oaring Muddily
Koala Oozing Marzipan
Kippers On Muesli
Kissed On Mustache
Kicker Of Mushrooms
Killing Overmany Manatees
Old 12-18-18, 12:33 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Knight Of Movement, I believe, indicating a record time on a Strava segment or really good performance in a stage race.

Or perhaps
Kangaroo Oaring Muddily
Koala Oozing Marzipan
Kippers On Muesli
Kissed On Mustache
Kicker Of Mushrooms
Killing Overmany Manatees
Aww man I thought it was king of the mountain. That’s what I was screaming in that MTBers face anyway. You can’t ride around screaming Koala Oozing Marzipan. I got a reputation to protect.
I gotta do some honey shots.

Edit: some Fred told me if I shave my legs with honey they’ll be more aero for longer. Is that true? Not that I’d ever have to. Shave my legs. Asking for a friend.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.