Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

A gentle note to BF members

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

A gentle note to BF members

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-18, 06:56 PM
Nu2Miele

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
C&V forum

Hi guys (and gals too),
I must say that even though I've been a member for some time, I have't posted much. BUT I've felt compelled to comment here. I have had nothing but good feedback and great experiences here, even through PMs. This is contrast to some other forums ( hifi audio stuff) of which I am a member. On those forums there are lots of what I call "audio snobs". Having never gone anywhere but the C&V forums here, I can only say that almost every topic and every post I've read tries to offer the OP good solid advice.
Regarding what others might consider taboos, doing a "tribute" is not the end of the world, as long as it is a tongue-in-cheek tribute (was there a "7-11 tribute bike" here?) or is stated as a reproduction. No harm, no foul. Say you have the exact same frame as a famous race bike. You upgrade the parts to what the original equipment that the original famous bike would have, and perhaps do an as original "halo" paint job, decals, etc. This represents a significant investment. Would I do this? No, but I understand the appeal.
Now regarding faking a bike as something it is in no way related to what it is or being made to appear to be to be a rare or expensive bike. This is what everyone should convince someone from doing. Say good parts on a cheap frame. This is what I call fraudeulent if the goal is to cheat someone. As far as updating a bike with reasonable newer parts is no problem to me. Bicycles that ate ridden wear out parts.
Old 12-14-18, 07:12 PM
Rocky Gravol

Bikes: Peugeot Course, Motobecane Super Mirage(RIP), Peugeot PKN10e Motobecane Grand Touring

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Hudson308
It's been interesting to me that this sub forum is the only consistently civil one on bikeforums.net. I rarely stray to the other ones because of that. It's getting to be a mean world out there. Thanks to all of you who provide a bit of shelter from that.
I've made the mistake of mentioning my fondness for platform pedals, stem shifters and safety levers on other sub groups here. It didn't go well.
Things I'm free to admit here.
Old 12-14-18, 08:06 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts

You should at least mispell the name....
​​​​
Likes For curbtender:
Old 12-14-18, 11:38 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
It only hurts me if I fall.
Old 12-14-18, 11:46 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by uncle uncle
I need to earnestly worked towards that goal, and join some of the C&V bicycle brothers and sisters on a ride.
Well, there are some announcements here in C&V. There are google calendars for this stuff, and digital social media are becoming good for spreading the word. Facebook is now telling me about events I might want to attend. There's one in PA I think I won't do, but there's one in upstate New York I'm considering. It's more of a race, and there won't be old bikes there except for mine, but that's OK.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-14-18, 11:47 PM
dgodave
Behold my avatar:

Bikes: 2019 Gorilla Monsoon, 2013 Surly Krampus, Brompton folder

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 6941 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 289 Posts
Originally Posted by jjhabbs
..... I have a freaking bicycle museum in my basement.....
Say what?

Have you posted pics somewhere?
Old 12-15-18, 01:42 PM
Duo
Banned.

Bikes: The Good Book of bicycling

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocky Gravol
I've made the mistake of mentioning my fondness for platform pedals, stem shifters and safety levers on other sub groups here. It didn't go well.
i enjoyed stem shifters in the 70's, had them on my first Nishiki international. a great bike and over the top fun. in the end, any kind of shifter is fine. your safety levers and platform pedals are good too because you ride and not taking up real estate on the couch while doing so. that count's for a lot.

I think this is the most friendly forum Ive known, I dont remenber any unpleasant answer for my stupid questions or about my horrible english.
pretty much. most Road forums are concerned the hot new whatever. for me it is about function, does the thing ride?

yes.

good then 'shut up and ride'. that is what we used to say on a motorcycle forum....and what we like about C and V, my stuff is not high end, but high enuf and better than most out there who care less about bikes.

thanks all. the enthusiasm for this old stuff just keeps us going.
Old 12-15-18, 03:38 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts
Build for yourself and enjoy.

A gentle note to self:
"Now, did I install the chain upside down?"

Emojo bozo
Old 12-15-18, 07:37 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by Poguemahone
I hate to be old and cranky, but I was here on the day this forum was founded. Thankfully, it's never been a nasty place or really even much less than really, really kindly. I am sure there's been the occasional snark, but for the internet, this place is remarkable.

I once posted a bike of mine on another forum and immediately started getting @#$% about my set up. Er... I'm six two with a six-eight wingspan. It's likely some of my setups are going to strike people as just plain wrong, but never here.

And I've met you, and a very interesting other guy (Sykerocker). And was invited to the bicycle yard sale, and it was great. Nothing but good.
Old 12-15-18, 07:38 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by cbrstar
You should make that bike actually ridable by modernizing it with an electric motor and disk brakes....
Do NOT feed the wildlife! You never, ever know what he'll do.
Old 12-15-18, 11:29 PM
garryg

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 141 Posts
Interesting thread. I am new to this forum. I just posted about a vintage Gitane i picked up today. Sure it is gas pipe entry level etc but it is going to be fun to make it rideable and pretty again.I am not in it for the money but for the fun. Lots of great info on this site.
Old 12-16-18, 01:16 AM
deux jambes

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 196 Posts
I’ve only been treated with kindness, and respect since joining the forum, and I’ve asked a number of eye rolling questions, or made otherwise annoying posts. Well there was one instance were a member came off like a total dick. I ignored it, and he later apologized without any prompting lol. Pretty cool.

While my personal experience has been 99.9% positive, I’ve also observed some folks treating a few others not so gently on occasion. Unfortunate sure, but overall this is the without doubt the most respectful, and civilly behaved discussion forum I’ve ever seen online. And the generosity of knowledge, experience, support, and sometimes material here is always amazing to me.

Old 12-16-18, 01:42 AM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocky Gravol
Hahahaha. Rocky, you suck and your bikes suck. And your mama dresses you funny.

(Obviously, kidding!)

I'm a big fan of platform pedals myself, all of my bikes have them, except for the few that have those silly triangular Shimano 105 dealies with toeclips. And before I discovered they weren't "cool," I had stem shifters on my one and only bike for the longest time, my '72 Lambert that was equipped with all the old crap I took off my bent 1970s Le Tour. I still have those stem shifters and will probably put them on something, someday.

I remember well that rock-solid-gorgeous Peugeot you brought to that ride we did from Issaquah up to Marymoor Park and beyond that one day; hope to see it again.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 12-16-18, 05:53 AM
Vonruden

Bikes: Looking for a Baylis or Wizard in 59-62cm range

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 115 Posts
Great thread. Luckily, the C&V crowd is one of the best of the many forums I frequent. ��
Old 12-16-18, 10:55 AM

Bikes: Cinelli SC 1971, Daccordi 1985

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I mostly agree.
My experience so far is that BF is the friendliest bike forum I've visited.

Have you tried LFGSS? Or any other low self esteem hipster forum? Well, stay out of them if you are sensitive.

Oh. One controversial thing. Never take safety lightly on an american forum. The safety officers will go banans.

Last edited by 1987; 12-16-18 at 11:04 AM.
Old 12-16-18, 11:28 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 933 Posts
Originally Posted by deux jambes
Well there was one instance were a member came off like a total dick. I ignored it, and he later apologized without any prompting lol. Pretty cool.

Again, I'm sorry- and still feel really bad about that- I misread your reply to my post and thought you were accusing me of lying.

If I wouldn't have gone downstairs to take pix and post them to prove I wasn't lying, I wouldn't have realized you didn't say I was lying.

On the plus side- there's now current pix demonstrating the winding direction of silver and gold cantilever springs!

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 12-16-18, 12:29 PM
deux jambes

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 196 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
Again, I'm sorry- and still feel really bad about that- I misread your reply to my post and thought you were accusing me of lying.

If I wouldn't have gone downstairs to take pix and post them to prove I wasn't lying, I wouldn't have realized you didn't say I was lying.

On the plus side- there's now current pix demonstrating the winding direction of silver and gold cantilever springs!

As mentioned, no hard feelings. I was steaming in the moment, but chose not to react. I think that’s key. Too often folks respond hastily, and emotionally on social media. Some pretty brutal confrontations can come to a head. That’s no fun except for the most childish of spectators imo.

When you offered your apology and explanation, I was absolutely thrilled. Not because of any sense of self gain, but because of your display of humility. I think any time we can role model to others in that way, we’re offering the world something it can really use.

Now, I owe an apology. I’m certain that I deleted the thread. I didn’t consider that it technical benefit to future readers. That may have been haste, and shortsighted.

I do remember the photo you snapped of the springs. I thought “that’s the best damn shot of springs I’ve ever seen!”
Likes For deux jambes:
Old 12-16-18, 01:13 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4509 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by 1987
I mostly agree.
My experience so far is that BF is the friendliest bike forum I've visited.

Have you tried LFGSS? Or any other low self esteem hipster forum? Well, stay out of them if you are sensitive.

Oh. One controversial thing. Never take safety lightly on an american forum. The safety officers will go banans.
Safety Police = thinnest of the skinned and rightfully so for themselves I suppose.
Old 12-16-18, 01:43 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 933 Posts
Originally Posted by deux jambes

As mentioned, no hard feelings. I was steaming in the moment, but chose not to react. I think that’s key. Too often folks respond hastily, and emotionally on social media. Some pretty brutal confrontations can come to a head. That’s no fun except for the most childish of spectators imo.

When you offered your apology and explanation, I was absolutely thrilled. Not because of any sense of self gain, but because of your display of humility. I think any time we can role model to others in that way, we’re offering the world something it can really use.

Now, I owe an apology. I’m certain that I deleted the thread. I didn’t consider that it technical benefit to future readers. That may have been haste, and shortsighted.

I do remember the photo you snapped of the springs. I thought “that’s the best damn shot of springs I’ve ever seen!”
No one likes to be wrong- when I'm wrong and realize I'm wrong- I've learned some really cool things. For example: it makes all the sense in the world that manufacturers of tubing stamp their tubing- not the manufacturer of the frame. I would have expected that a Reynolds steerer would be stamped by Reynolds, but I was very surprised that Tange (who makes their own tubing) stamped the steerer when they built the fork from Reynolds tubing. That was neat.

On the other hand, when some people are wrong and get defensive and accusatory- I don't react well to that. For example: the guy who didn't like that I informed him that Suntour Barcons are not Retrofriction. I was accused of being "not helpful" and "thread crapping." I didn't take that well- but I didn't feel I needed to.

Regarding the canti springs- I'm sure you did the same thing I did- Googled it- found the BMX thread. I KNOW there's a difference- and know that it's related to what direction the spring is wound... I ran into it when overhauling my roller cams years ago- and I've had several sets of Shimano and DiaCompe cantilevers. Since then I've made sure to keep the springs with their respective caliper- I still couldn't tell you which side the gold and silver springs go on by memory...

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 12-16-18, 05:50 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Poguemahone
I am sure there's been the occasional snark, but for the internet, this place is remarkable.

I once posted a bike of mine on another forum and immediately started getting @#$% about my set up. Er... I'm six two with a six-eight wingspan. It's likely some of my setups are going to strike people as just plain wrong, but never here.
Being 6'5, I know a thing or two about setups to make a bike fit vs looking perfect!
And agreed that this is a rare site for the internet when it comes to politeness and support.

I admittedly have commented, in a perhaps negative way about a handful of times, on the setup of other poster's bikes. Its been in an attempt to make sure they know the setup is anything but traditional. I could see it being taken negatively, but it isnt meant that way.
if the setup they have is done for something like long arms, limited mobility, etc then great and fine.
if the setup they have done is due to a simple lack of understanding, then it's perhaps helpful to point out the non-traditional part of the setup.

an example is bars that are tilted upwards and brake levers mounted super high up on the bars.
if those things are needed to get the bike to fit, then cool. But those things usually lead to pain(bent wrists for example) so if that can be avoided then all the better.

its a fine line for sure. This forum is better than anywhere else of toeing that fine line.
Old 12-17-18, 12:46 PM
a77impala
a77impala

Bikes: 04=LeMond Arravee, 08 LeMond Versailles, 92 Trek 970

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
I have gotten away from BF the last year or so, not for any particular reason other than I was spending to much time here. This thread has gotten me back into the site. I have dropped all but one Facebook bike site and thinking of dropping it.
I ride what I like,live where there are few riders and even fewer non bike snobs. I’m old, 74, and can’t and won’t try to keep up but I’ll continue to ride as long as I can.
I enjoy meeting other riders and never denigrate their bikes or equipment and expect them to do the same!
Old 12-17-18, 12:58 PM
EssGee

Bikes: English Bickerton, Austalian Bickerton, Solorock Hunter, Columbia Compax

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well said . . . and it needed to be said.
Old 12-17-18, 01:32 PM
Kooggeer
Motobecane Owner

Bikes: '78 Motobecane Super Mirage (?)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Many ways to say the same thing

There are many wants to say the same thing.

I guess that all of us amateurs are looking for constructive criticism regarding our projects or goals.

Forums and emails are a pretty cold way to communicate and sometimes a message can come across as harsh even though it wasn't meant that way.

So I'd say that responders should try to make their messages honest and straightforward but not harsh. And the recipient should try to accept the comments in the spirit in which they are offered.

Bike On!
Old 12-17-18, 01:33 PM
mud
Lurker

Bikes: 07 Fuji Professional 2.0, Specialized Roubaix SL4 Elite

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
John I think I really hate you.......not sure if it's the cars, bikes or the man cave...........crap......
Old 12-17-18, 01:58 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I like how C&V is a holistic section where we talk about more than bikes, and off topic threads are not thrown out. We also allow discussion of new bikes, of rides, of mechanics, and so much more. And yes, people are generally very nice.

yes - me too.

the fine folks on here have in the past allowed me to rail away on topics as diverse as

my divorce
vintage cars
new steel track bike build
comparisons of new carbon bike to my favorite vintage bike

--- oh, and plenty of vintage bike discussion too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.