Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Is there a list of vehicles that can be used to haul a tandem inside?

Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Is there a list of vehicles that can be used to haul a tandem inside?

Old 09-30-12, 03:51 PM
rickbyb
I Like to Move It

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2012 Dodge Caravan

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
caravan2.jpg (62.3 KB, 780 views)
caravan1.jpg (57.1 KB, 762 views)
Old 10-26-12, 10:49 AM
ksisler

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
We've transported our large Santana (25" captain, 23" stoker) in our 2007 Town n Country, but it was a tight fit with the 26 x 1 3/4" Marathon Plus tires on it, front/rear racks, etc.. Other than length, the seats and captain's bars also mandated that we lay it down and slide it in and then stand it up with care. Not that hard if two people work it, one leaning in a side door and one out back. Good thing that we don't need to transport it very often or I would get a carrier for on top of the roof rack.
Old 11-02-12, 08:49 AM
IbisTouche

Bikes: 1 Speedster & 2 Ibis Touche, 2 Thorn Raven Tour, 2 Thorn Audax mk III, Pedersen, Koga Roadchamp, Centurion Super Le Mans, GT Karakoram Elite, Motobecane Trainer, Mtobecane Inter tandem and 9 cycles (singlecoaster, 2 - 3 gear Torpedo)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We usually have either one of our Ibis Touche or our Comotion Speedster in our Toyota 1999 Sportsvan. There is just room enough but we have to take the tandem wheels of and tie the rear derailleur up to do it.

Last edited by IbisTouche; 02-02-14 at 08:01 AM.
Old 11-05-12, 02:09 PM
uspspro
Tandem Mountain Climber

Bikes: Calfee Tandem, Litespeed Gravel, SuperSix Evo HM, Larry vs. Harry Bullitt (e-cargo)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
The 1985 Cressida Wagon we use to haul our tandem is almost back in commission with it's Lexus V8 swap (Engine, auto transmission, engine computer and gauge cluster all from a 1995 LS400).

Here it is with NO exhaust system.

https://youtu.be/bUS4mJfllkw

Needs a driveshaft, exhaust system and a few other things before it's back on the road. As mentioned previously, fits our Calfee (on it's side) with only the front wheel removed!
Old 11-07-12, 10:36 PM
Ritterview
Tandem Vincitur

Bikes: BMC Pro Machine SLC01, Specialized Globe, Burley Rock 'N Roll tandem, Calfee Dragonfly tandem.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tandem vehicle content on this thread:

Need suggestion for vehicle to carry tandem

Strava Tandem Club
Old 12-06-12, 09:45 AM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
Toyota Previa-- especially with one of the center row buckets removed. We're on our second one. Got the first for a dollar! Sold it for $650, at 250k miles, bought another that had 150k on it. Great cars!
Old 12-06-12, 02:18 PM
Ritterview
Tandem Vincitur

Bikes: BMC Pro Machine SLC01, Specialized Globe, Burley Rock 'N Roll tandem, Calfee Dragonfly tandem.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The 2014 Ford Transit debuted at the LA Auto Show. There are apparently two wheelbase lengths, so the stretch version ought to accommodate a tandem. Up to 30 mpg (my Honda Odyssey gets 20).

Strava Tandem Club
Old 02-02-13, 07:47 AM
uaz04

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Toyota Avensis Verso! We did not want a van or mini-van, but we did want to be able to travel with the tandem inside. We made a short list of possible vehicles, with the Mazda 5 high on that list, but in the end only the Toyota worked perfectly. Of the 7 seats, we removed the 2 in the rear and one from the mid-center section, so the stoker bars slide neatly between for support. The rear wheel does not intrude on our space up front, and even my very high seatpost fits easily inside. Toyota does not make this model any longer [and probably never sold it in the States], sadly.
Old 03-27-13, 10:04 AM
cbike

Bikes: Surly LHT (weekend ride & touring), GT Outpost (commuting), Brompton M6R (Weekend tours that involve flying), Co-Motion Periscope Torpedo (family weekend ride & touring)

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Has anybody considered using a folding trailer to haul a tandem (or bicycles in general)?

I have a 4x8 folding trailer with removable sides that I use for all sorts of things. It folds nicely up and gets winched upright against the wall with a hand winch. So it's a sweet and easy 1 person setup.

I'm pondering to use two fork mounts to haul a tandem and a regular bike with it. The biggest issue is that the fork mounts have to be about 6 inches off the plywood because of front racks on both bicycles. Also I'd like to be able to fold the trailer with the fork mounts attached. I was thinking of adding some sort of metal pedestal on the front edge so it doesn't interfere with the fold. Not totally sure how to do it yet though.
Old 03-28-13, 12:42 PM
Carbonello

Bikes: Team Scandium/ Sovereign

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I usually put the tandem on the Yakima roof rack on my '05 Subaru Legacy GT wagon for local trips. But for Cycle Oregon in September, it will go inside. I remove both wheels and lay it in. Passenger seat was moved forward some.

Last edited by Carbonello; 03-28-13 at 08:29 PM.
Old 04-15-13, 09:53 PM
Ritterview
Tandem Vincitur

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ford now lists the 2014 Transit Connect on their U.S. website.

An article in the
NY Daily News.

It looks like the Transit Connect will fit a tandem, and if so it will be the among the most compact packages to do so. It is in between in size a Mazda 5 and a conventional minivan.

Strava Tandem Club
Old 04-23-13, 08:34 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
Second generation (FWD) Mazda MPV.
One right down the middle.
Traded in the MPV on a new Mazda 5 a month ago. Already miss the ease of rolling the Screamer or long wheelbase V3 right down the middle.
Probably possible to fit our tandem inside somehow but works pretty well to load it on the roof - already had a Thule version of the Tandem Topper.
The V3 does fit inside with a little effort. Very easy to put the short wheelbase V-Rex in the back with two rear rows of seats down.
Old 05-27-13, 01:52 PM
regomatic
Cyclist- Bike 'n a half

Bikes: Custom S & S Bushnell Tandem, Eddy Merckx Ti

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

We carried 2 tandems and 4 people to GTR. Removed front wheels from both, rear pedals from ours, arranged ours rear first and the other front first and slid them in together between the middle seats.
Attached Images
Odyssey Hybrid.JPG (49.0 KB, 694 views)

Last edited by regomatic; 05-27-13 at 01:56 PM.
Old 07-05-13, 08:19 AM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
This has probably been covered before, but I can't seem to find it after a quick search. My wife and I just purchased a Sprinter and we want to secure it in the van sitting upright with both wheels and fenders in place. What is out there that can hold a wheel or wheels and still keep the tandem from toppling over?
Old 07-05-13, 03:11 PM
Chris_W
Likes to Ride Far

Bikes: road+, gravel, commuter/tourer, tandem, e-cargo, folder

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Since the thread title only says "vehicles" and not "automobiles", then let me suggest that trains are sometimes a great way to transport your tandem.

My wife and I get all around Europe by bike and train; we've never owned a car - we have a basement full of bikes instead. The easiest trains to take a tandem on are those in which the bike storage area is designed to take bikes standing upright on the floor, rather than being hung vertically.

In Switzerland, the best trains to choose are those marked as "IC" (Inter City), which are normally double-decker trains with a massive and easily accessible bike storage area, where a tandem can easily fit fully assembled without getting in any passengers' way. IR and ICN trains (the other long distance Swiss trains) are not so tandem-friendly (vertical bike storage area only). Long distance trains that come to or from outside the country (denoted TGV - France, ICE - Germany, CIS - Italy, RJ - Austria) normally have very special bicycle rules or don't take bikes at all. The local/regional trains are really variable, with the more modern ones typically having the most generous bike storage areas, but there is a lot of variability. One tandem bike needs two regular bike tickets/passes.

To make life easier when taking a tandem on the train, it's always good to have at least one set of couplers in the frame so that you can split the bike in two and hang it vertically on two conventional bike hooks (which is much easier to do if the couplers are in front of the captain's seat tube and cranks rather than behind - so don't buy a Santana). Even if you get to the platform at the last second, and so you don't have time to split the bike into two, or the train arrives and is a different type to what you expect, then you can normally hop on with the complete tandem and break it in half in a couple of minutes once you are on the train to put it on two regular bike hooks. Expect lots of confused looks from other passengers when changing trains and so carrying a tandem that is split in two around the train station.

Maybe I should start a new thread entitled "list of trains that can easily take fully-assembled tandems." However, it's good to expose the car-focused people who are reading this thread to other ideas.

Last edited by Chris_W; 07-05-13 at 03:15 PM.
Likes For Chris_W:
Old 07-05-13, 11:04 PM
Ritterview
Tandem Vincitur

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by photogravity
...we want to secure [the tandem] in the van sitting upright with both wheels and fenders in place. What is out there that can hold a wheel or wheels and still keep the tandem from toppling over?
It is more usual to have a fork mount, as it makes the tandem shorter, and the fork is a easy and secure mounting mechanism. For fork mount there is the Saris Traps Triple Tracks. These do not need anchoring, but generally stay where you put them if on a flat surface. It is nice with the Saris that you can easily place or remove the rack from the back of your car.

Strava Tandem Club
Old 07-08-13, 10:22 AM
davidfrench

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We need the Nissan NV350 in the US!
https://www.autoevolution.com/news-g-...tos/63221.html
Old 07-08-13, 10:30 AM
Tarantulae

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We used a suburban to carry our santana arriva. We had to angle it as the seats were too high to fit straight up, and then lay it down with the stoker bars against the side. Also had to turn the front wheel sideways to get the doors to close. This is with the back seats folded down.
Old 07-17-13, 12:22 PM
jberenyi

Bikes: Lynskey Level 3 Custom, De Bernardi SLX, Felt F1C, Burley Duet Tandem

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My 1999 Suburban with the third seat out and other seats down fits it real nice. I have a Burley Duet with 700c wheels and they all stayed on the frame.
Old 07-17-13, 01:11 PM
cbike

Bikes: Surly LHT (weekend ride & touring), GT Outpost (commuting), Brompton M6R (Weekend tours that involve flying), Co-Motion Periscope Torpedo (family weekend ride & touring)

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone managed to get two tandems and four people inside a reasonably sized vehicle? My wife got the idea that it might be possible with the Honda Odyssey when the only the narrow third row seat is up and only the seat on the same side of the 2nd row is installed. I'm not sure if you can pack two tandems close enough to each other without major modifications (i.e. turning handle bars). The other question is if the Kids really would like to ride back there like this.

PS: Tandem for me includes fenders, front and rear rack. Just in case it's to simple.
Old 07-17-13, 06:54 PM
Paul J

Bikes: 1980's Spectrum 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, 1990 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 65 Posts
Has anyone tried a tandem in the new Honda CRv? On long trips we have taken the wheels and saddles (stoker bar come off with captain's saddle) and it fits laying down in our TSX with the seats folded down. I think we could do the same with the new CRv or maybe we could create a way to attach front and rear at te dropouts and slide it in. I measured the Crv and it is 68 inched from the back of the front seats to inside the lip of the rear hatch. Thoughts?
Old 07-17-13, 10:21 PM
Ritterview
Tandem Vincitur

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Paul J
Has anyone tried a tandem in the new Honda CRv? I measured the Crv and it is 68 inched from the back of the front seats to inside the lip of the rear hatch. Thoughts?
I've measured a bunch of crossovers for fitting a tandem, the goal being that the tandem is upright down the center, attached to a fork mount at the rear, with the rear wheel poking in between the two front seats. This requires a middle row center aisle, such as with two captain's seats. There is generally a console between the two front seats in a crossover which forms a barrier to the rear wheel short of the needed length. The solution must be to modify the console with a slot to allow the frontward passage of the tandem's rear wheel. The length needed for my Large/Medium Calfee is 86 inches.

I've collected some pics in a set here, when I visited the San Jose Auto show with tape measure, and a cardboard representation of the front of a tandem.

This is a Honda CRV interior. If it is 68 inches from the back of the front seats, the rear tandem wheel would be near the dashboard. A tandem might be shoehorned in a CRV, but it is not the crossover to choose for the purposes of tandem transport.

Strava Tandem Club
Old 07-18-13, 05:59 AM
Paul J

Bikes: 1980's Spectrum 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, 1990 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Originally Posted by Ritterview
I've measured a bunch of crossovers for fitting a tandem, the goal being that the tandem is upright down the center, attached to a fork mount at the rear, with the rear wheel poking in between the two front seats. This requires a middle row center aisle, such as with two captain's seats. There is generally a console between the two front seats in a crossover which forms a barrier to the rear wheel short of the needed length. The solution must be to modify the console with a slot to allow the frontward passage of the tandem's rear wheel. The length needed for my Large/Medium Calfee is 86 inches.

If it is 68 inches from the back of the front seats, the rear tandem wheel would be near the dashboard. A tandem might be shoehorned in a CRV, but it is not the crossover to choose for the purposes of tandem transport.
Thanks Ritterview, we were thinking with both wheels off which I think it would if on it's side with everything attached but wheels though if I were to stand it up in a mount connecting at the dropouts I'm not sure if the handle bars would extend too far beyond the wheel-base measurement. I was thinking of getting some type of "runner" that I could set the bike on and then slide it into the vehicle laying on it's side, but I think we will need to do a little more measuring and vehicle consideration. Our problem is hauling the tandem is a fairly small part of the use of the car. Thanks I'll keep you posted.
Old 07-19-13, 03:35 PM
brons2
Hook 'Em Horns

Bikes: Mine: Paul Taylor Custom 66cm, Rivendell custom 68cm, '75 Eisentraut Touring 69cm, 68cm track frame of indeterminate origin, '92 Cannondale M500. Ours: '93 Burley Duet tandem XL. Hers: L Mercier Sora thingy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone tried a Kia Rondo? I'm about to buy my first (used) tandem after many tens of thousands of miles on single bikes. I have gotten 20 8 foot 2x4s in my Rondo by folding down both the back seats and the passenger seat, and positioning them diagonally. I'm pretty sure it will work this way with the tandem but I need to be able to carry the stoker also (my new wife) so I was hoping it might go straight in. Definitely got a little sticker shock pricing out the Yakima solution for tandems not to mention the effects on aerodynamics and gas mileage.
Old 07-27-13, 12:44 PM
Paul J

Originally Posted by Paul J
Thanks Ritterview, we were thinking with both wheels off which I think it would if on it's side with everything attached but wheels though if I were to stand it up in a mount connecting at the dropouts I'm not sure if the handle bars would extend too far beyond the wheel-base measurement. I was thinking of getting some type of "runner" that I could set the bike on and then slide it into the vehicle laying on it's side, but I think we will need to do a little more measuring and vehicle consideration. Our problem is hauling the tandem is a fairly small part of the use of the car. Thanks I'll keep you posted.
We got the CR-V as it was a good vehicle for us with or without fitting the tandem. It is a little short but does fit our bike with the wheels off as I was expecting but laying down with the handle bars toward the back the derailleur comes just up a little between the seats. Do great but better the our car fit. We only need to take the wheels off and it slides right in.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.