Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Planning Katy Trail trip and need help

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 07-16-17, 04:44 AM
TSWisla

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am having a very difficult time finding information on where I can park safely, long term, as I ride the trail. I would like to start in the East. Where can I safely leave my car while I ride? Also, will it be difficult to find a shuttle to take me all the way back to the beginning? Thank you.
Old 07-16-17, 06:34 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
There are a number of WarmShowers hosts in St. Louis. Just contact one.
Old 07-16-17, 06:51 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
My information is six and a half years old, you would want to verify it. But I started by riding Amtrak west to Sedalia from Kirkwood Amtrak station. They had free parking. The downside of this plan is riding 20 miles on roads at the end of your trip to get back to the Amtrak station.
Old 07-16-17, 07:55 AM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It would be easier to start in St. Charles rather than Machens. Even though the section between is interesting in it's own way. I could take your car, but can't offer a shuttle. Warm showers sounds right to me.
Old 07-16-17, 09:57 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Buy a train ticket with bike service. Park at an Amtrak station. Jump in the train. Get off the train.
Ride back to your car.

Not sure how far you want to ride, so i dont mention specific towns. There are a few that are along the trail and also have train stops either in town or within a few mi of the trail.
Old 07-16-17, 04:32 PM
TSWisla

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would really like to start close to the trail, it is really 20 miles to the nearest train station? I would really like to start in the beginning as well.
Old 07-16-17, 04:51 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by TSWisla
I would really like to start close to the trail, it is really 20 miles to the nearest train station? I would really like to start in the beginning as well.

Well the beginning is where you start. .

If you plan on taking a train then you will need to ride to or from the train station at some point anyway.
Old 07-16-17, 05:12 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Washington mo. Start there and park your car. Train it out to Sedalia mo. Ride from Sedalia back to your car.
The trail is in sedalia so you hop right on.
And the trail is right at 5mi away from the train ststion in Washington.

Thats a 160mi ride.
Want to do less? Hop off in Jefferson city and ride back to Washington.
Old 07-16-17, 06:29 PM
jonc123
Ozark Hillbilly

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I am having a very difficult time finding information on where I can park safely, long term, as I ride the trail. I would like to start in the East. Where can I safely leave my car while I ride? Also, will it be difficult to find a shuttle to take me all the way back to the beginning? Thank you.
Have you done any type of bicycle touring? When do you plan to take your trip?
Old 07-16-17, 06:42 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
It was my recollection that it was about 20 miles off the trail to the Amtrak station at Kirkwood where I finished. But that was years ago when I did that. I finished there (Kirkwood) because logistically, it made sense to me when I planned my trip. If you can to better with a different plan, great. I was trying to be helpful, but apparently my attempts to provide assistance with the option that I used was not sufficient for your high standards.
Old 07-16-17, 07:20 PM
jonc123
Ozark Hillbilly

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I live halfway between the Kirkwood station and the MKT. Need many more details. Time of year, # of days.
Old 07-16-17, 08:34 PM
TSWisla

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
It was my recollection that it was about 20 miles off the trail to the Amtrak station at Kirkwood where I finished. But that was years ago when I did that. I finished there (Kirkwood) because logistically, it made sense to me when I planned my trip. If you can to better with a different plan, great. I was trying to be helpful, but apparently my attempts to provide assistance with the option that I used was not sufficient for your high standards.
I don't understand why you took offence to my comment. I meant nothing negative by it, I was looking for other ideas in addtion to yours. Despite your surly response, I still appreciate your input. Thank you.
Old 07-16-17, 08:36 PM
TSWisla

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jonc123
I live halfway between the Kirkwood station and the MKT. Need many more details. Time of year, # of days.
Can you recommend a good time of year? I recently rode the 400 and Elroy-Sparta trails with my son. We are eager to do more trails. We plan on finishing the rest of that series in a couple of weeks.
Old 07-16-17, 09:10 PM
jonc123
Ozark Hillbilly

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Can you recommend a good time of year? I recently rode the 400 and Elroy-Sparta trails with my son. We are eager to do more trails. We plan on finishing the rest of that series in a couple of weeks.
I just had to go to one of those big weddings of the in-laws. My brain is fried, and I had NOTHING to drink. Still, it was a couple hundred miles away and I am GLAD to be home with a beer in my hand. Several still in a motel passed out.

You asked about time of the year. I'll assume your wanting to do the trail before Winter. If it were me, and you were looking at fall, I would look at late October. You say "With your son". Have you'all gone a couple hundred miles touring before?

Study the Amtrak routes. Come back and give more details. KT is brutal in the heat of the day in summer. Ask me how I know. Time of the year for me is the key.
Old 07-17-17, 05:53 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,297 Times in 7,230 Posts
IAlso, will it be difficult to find a shuttle to take me all the way back to the beginning? Thank you.
Maybe this will help:

LMGTFY
Old 07-17-17, 06:13 AM
zebkedic

Bikes: Surly ECR, Trek FX 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
The north end beginning of the trail head is in the middle of farm land. Not really a large parking area, and probably not a great place to leave your car for a week. The St. Charles trail head does, however have a large lot and many leave their cars there for long periods. In the past, local police have said this isn't a problem to be parked there. Call them if you want confirmation. I'd agree with above on late October for best time of year. Summers are indeed brutal.

As to how to get back? Nothing easy about it unless you want to ride amtrak (book ahead) and/or even heard of some folks renting small Uhaul van in Clinton and throwing bikes in back and driving back to St. Charles.

Hope that is helpful.
- Cpt. Bob
Old 07-17-17, 06:33 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

For sure not the summer. Summer is more misery than Missouri. Spring or fall.
Old 07-17-17, 10:13 AM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
But there is a lot of shade, Is the breeze coming off the river cooler. But yes! it is hot here, 102F this week.
Old 07-18-17, 07:45 AM
zebkedic

Bikes: Surly ECR, Trek FX 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Squeezebox
But there is a lot of shade, Is the breeze coming off the river cooler. But yes! it is hot here, 102F this week.
After the Rocheport area, there is less shade and it opens up more into farming area again. I've never found the breeze off the river cooler, only that it adds more humidity

- Cpt. Bob
Old 07-18-17, 11:06 AM
engineerbob

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts
Last October, my wife and I put the bikes on the train in Kirkwood, and took the train to Sedalia. I had no interest in the western-most segment between Sedalia and Clinton. Over the next five days we rode back to Saint Louis. We got off of the trail at Creve Coeur Lake Park in STL County. From there, we rode the streets to friends' house in University City. Although we hit the streets at rush hour, the only bad part was Marine Avenue out of CCL Park. It is steep, one lane in each direction, and has a ditch instead of a shoulder. Fortunately, the drivers were polite.

Our five days on the trail were very good. I'd do it again.

Bob
Old 07-19-17, 09:42 PM
lanahk

Bikes: LHT, Giant Defy2, 83 Fuji Del Rey

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd recommend September or October if you are looking to go this year. July and August are too hot.

Have you checked out bikekatytrail.com/ ? Lots of good resources, including parking info.
Old 07-20-17, 11:50 AM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In Oct. do be aware of the Octoberfest drunks, particularly Herman and Augusta, even during the day. Stay off highway 94.
Old 07-21-17, 04:29 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Interesting thread, considering I just got to Sedalia yesterday. 😜 Brutal just about describes the heat, alright, but it only got really bad after crossing the Missouri River, into Boonville. Before that, there was plenty of shade, most of the time. Bring PLENTY of water/drinks, and don't forget the sunglasses. 😎 BTW, they have A&W root beer joints around here, unlike Ohio. Great burgers. 😁
EDIT: I forgot to say, there definitely are armadillos North of the river, and they run faster than you'd think.

Last edited by stardognine; 07-21-17 at 04:34 PM.
Old 07-21-17, 05:13 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by stardognine
Interesting thread, considering I just got to Sedalia yesterday. 😜 Brutal just about describes the heat, alright, but it only got really bad after crossing the Missouri River, into Boonville. Before that, there was plenty of shade, most of the time. Bring PLENTY of water/drinks, and don't forget the sunglasses. 😎 BTW, they have A&W root beer joints around here, unlike Ohio. Great burgers. 😁
EDIT: I forgot to say, there definitely are armadillos North of the river, and they run faster than you'd think.

The problem is that your water just gets too hot for your body to process efficiently. Best to put such trips off for cooler part of the year.
Old 07-21-17, 06:17 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
The problem is that your water just gets too hot for your body to process efficiently. Best to put such trips off for cooler part of the year.
Agree 100%. This trip wasn't really "planned", so much as taken. 🙄😉 It hit 97 F today, or 107 with the heat index. I moved around some, to eat mostly, but not much. Supposed to hit 99 F tomorrow, then cool off awhile.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.