Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Spoke Breakage

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-17, 02:01 AM
rumen

Bikes: schwinn super sport; trek 320; GT mountain bike ; Batavus '73

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Spoke Breakage

hello I am riding a road bike with 26 by 1.25 going to work. Over the last 2 months i encountered spoke breaking twice..I normally take a route with asphalt road and dont slosw down for any poithole...i am not sure why it happen.... btw i am a 200 lb rider with a 5 ' 7 built
Old 04-19-17, 02:36 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by rumen
I normally take a route with asphalt road and dont slosw down for any poithole...i am not sure why it happen....
If by "don't slow down for any pothole" you mean that you frequently hit potholes, that could definitely be a contributing factor. Even if the impact doesn't immediately damage your spokes, it can cause them to unwind and lose tension; lose too much tension, and the spokes can slacken through parts of each wheel revolution, causing them to flex and fatigue as the wheel rolls.

To prevent breakage:
-Use good spokes.
-Occasionally make sure spoke tension is adequate, especially after major impacts.
Old 04-19-17, 06:23 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Which spokes are breaking and how old is your wheel?

There was a window in time when non-drive rear spoke breakage was rife. The simple solution was to tighten all 32 spokes (usually) a turn. It's easier if you do all of the drive side spokes first.
Old 04-19-17, 06:32 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Is this a department store bike? If so, the wheels are most likely under-tensioned and can be expected to fail if you do abusive things like running into pot holes. Also, on a tensioned wheel, all the spokes depend on all the other spokes. Breaking one spoke places more stress on all the others, especially the 2-3 adjacent ones in either direction. Once I pop a few spokes, I consider all the spokes in the wheel to be compromised and will have the entire wheel rebuilt rather than suffer continuing one-at-a-time spoke failures forever.
Old 04-19-17, 08:49 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
It goes without saying that hitting pot holes at speed is hard on wheels. Your weight, while not a problem in itself, exacerbates the stress on the wheels when you're abusing them like that.
Old 04-19-17, 02:43 PM
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator

Bikes: Classic road bikes: 1986 Cannondale, 1978 Trek

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
FWIW, potholes are the cause for only a minority of spoke breakages, improper tension or improper build causes the majority of broken spokes. You haven't told us WHICH spokes you broke, so we can only guess.....