Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Flakey Sellers

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-19, 12:39 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Flakey Sellers

I've had great success in getting responses from craigslist sellers for both well detailed listings and the typical 2 picture bare-minimum description sellers. I recently started looking at FB marketplace listings for cheaper bikes or frames for a project, and have only had one responsive seller out of the 8-10 or so I've contacted. Most every seller will get back to me that the bike posted "over a week ago" (thanks FB!) is still for sale while the picture was clearly taken at least 2 months ago. Sometimes they'll talk to me, but just about everyone fails to return measurements (which aren't part of the description).

I want to ride the bike, it's important to me to know how big it is! I guess that the 10 minutes to figure out what they're selling isn't worth $30? I might have to start wasting their time by going out and measuring for myself, then telling them I don't want it because it's not my size?
Old 12-02-19, 05:18 PM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
I never understood why someone would not list the size, unless it was parents that were selling their kids bikes and did not know the size. You really have to wonder about high end bikes that are not listed. Are those stolen?
Old 12-02-19, 06:14 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,387 Times in 2,050 Posts
Originally Posted by Gconan
I never understood why someone would not list the size, unless it was parents that were selling their kids bikes and did not know the size. You really have to wonder about high end bikes that are not listed. Are those stolen?
Because they're not "bike people", They have no clue what or how to measure a size. They went to a shop, bought what the salesman was selling, barely used it, and now need to make space in the garage for some other toy they no nothing about.

That's how you find deals, the more ambiguous the ad the better. We can figure out most everything we need to know from a crappy picture or two. At least enough to know if we should scroll on or make an attempt to check it out further.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 12-02-19, 06:29 PM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 2,962 Times in 1,492 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Because they're not "bike people", They have no clue what or how to measure a size. They went to a shop, bought what the salesman was selling, barely used it, and now need to make space in the garage for some other toy they no nothing about.

That's how you find deals, the more ambiguous the ad the better. We can figure out most everything we need to know from a crappy picture or two. At least enough to know if we should scroll on or make an attempt to check it out further.
ain't that the truth.a lightspeed recently listed on cl as "pro king"-had a king headset,no decals,pic of the headbadge.under $300. no thought of asking questions-might ruin the chance buy."bicycle frame material: titanium
bicycle type: mountain
condition: excellent
frame size: 0
make / manufacturer: King
suspension: frame and fork (full suspension)
wheel size: 24 in"!
Old 12-02-19, 06:54 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
most people don't know about bike sizing. I have messaged sellers before and explained what the seat tube and top tube are and how to measure them. Saves me a trip over there

Also, like for them to take pics of all the decals on the bike and send them