Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Miami Beach Resident Needs Opinion On Bike

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-20, 07:40 PM
mmmc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Thanks in advance for any expertise or info you can share from your experiences.

If you are new to buying a bike and have a budget of $500-$1000 (max) to spend on a new or used bike, what are some good options?

Has to look good as it's probably going to live in my apartment too. I could spend more, but I figure that should be enough to accomplish my goal. I want to get back to biking for exercise in the morning. I am 5'9" 165lbs and in very good shape if that helps provide context on size, fit, ability, etc. I used to ride many years ago in Manhattan when I lived there in my 20's and 30's so I imagine I'll get right back into it. I have an Audi Sportback sedan, so I could in theory fit a bike in there if I want to ride away from the beach.

The bike will be used to ride on the boardwalk and pavement. Totally looking for a road bike since I live two blocks from the beach and this will not be transported (so no need for mountain use). Although there are trails in some parks in Miami. Maybe a hybrid?

I just came across a Breezer Radar Pro lightly used size 51CM (which apparently runs large) and it is really nice too. I could probably pick it up for $700. But I'm not limited to this.

If you were just moving to Miami Beach what type of bike would you buy?

And what type of handlebar would be preferred? I am favoring straight, but I don't know if that's exactly the right style for what I want to do.
Old 01-12-20, 09:00 PM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
I would visit some local bike shops and test ride some. Take a look around. Visit some websites of bike brands.
Old 01-13-20, 01:16 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
You'll have a whole lot more options closer to the $1000 level than you will at around $500. Bikes have gotten pretty spendy since you stopped riding.