Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Masters Racing (All Disciplines)
Reload this Page >

Masters Misc Race Report Thread

Notices
Masters Racing (All Disciplines) Race on the track or road or on your mountainbike in the Masters Category? Want to talk tactics, strategy and training with your peers?

Masters Misc Race Report Thread

Old 07-25-12, 11:45 AM
Allegheny Jet

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have the State Senior Games cycling races this Thursday and Friday and rode the Tuesday Worlds B race for a speed workout with hardly any hard efforts. I did sprint for one preme and chased down two breaks including bringing the field with me since my team wasn't in either at the time. Half way into the race, right after my preme, one of my team mates attacked with 4 others and got away. After that, team efforts kept the field from attacking and I mostly sat in until 4 miles to go and took one hard pull on the front for 1 mile to keep anyone from considering chasing down the break. We averaged only 24.7 mph for the 33 mile race and my HR averaged 141 bpm, just into Z3. My riding friend and team mate took the win over his break mates. I felt very strong in the race, which included 48 seconds @ 721 watts ave. during the preme sprint.
Old 07-25-12, 12:11 PM
AzTallRider
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sounds like you are ready for the weekend, Jet! Way to go...
Old 07-26-12, 09:32 AM
VanceMac

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wednesday night summer series omnium at Encino. Raced the As for first time... field was full (24).

Points race: went well, though the pace was controlled by the sprinters, who were in the majority -- slowing significantly after each point lap (10, 20, 30, 40). I was still in "just don't embarrass myself" mode rather than racing like I belonged there. Still, I was surprised the endurance guys let them get away with that.

Belgian Win-n-Out (winner of first live lap gets 5th, next winner 4th, etc): Such a short race, this was all sprinters (and we had about half a dozen of top sprinters in the area). It was a good one for the endurance guys to rest up for the Scratch, or so we thought.

Scratch Race: this is the one I was really looking forward to. Even though only 30 laps (40 would have suited me better), after assessing the field in the first two, I thought I'd be able to get away in a break. Then, as we lined up on the rail, they announced that they were cutting it short to 20 laps because they were running late (shoestring budget, lights were going off at set time). Argh. All the sprinters licked their chops again. Frustrated, I took a flyer very early (just a couple laps in) and stayed away for a couple laps. At least it pushed the pace. Sat back and recovered enough to go off front again with 2 to go (was wishing here that I hadn't done the first flyer). Maybe top 10, but definitely out of points.

Another omnium Friday night, this time indoors at VSC. Will see if I'm recovered. Hard track efforts definitely take me longer to recover from than hard endurance efforts.
Old 07-26-12, 09:41 AM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
I have the State Senior Games cycling races this Thursday and Friday
Good luck. You gotta qualify. I hear there's going to be a hell of a party in Cleveland.

Dude, you sprinted for 48 seconds????
Old 07-26-12, 12:24 PM
Allegheny Jet

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by shovelhd
Good luck. You gotta qualify. I hear there's going to be a hell of a party in Cleveland.

Yea, I'm a minute man. After that I begin to get normal then babyish in power.

Good race this AM in the 55-59 20k RR. We had 3 team mates competing and one of the guys worked for the other 2 that included me. A very fast rider from PA showed up and the plans changed as I figured that his was the wheel to follow in the sprint. In three races against him this year he always won or finished ahead of me. On the final straight leading into the sprint I parked on his wheel intending to ride it to the end. With 350m to go a train of riders from a Dayton team made their way up the inside. Things exploded at that time and one of my teammates came around on the left while I continued to mark my man. My guy and the guy in front began their sprints and I was stuck following until something opened. About 200m from the finish the Dayton train was gone and the gap between the guy I marked and my team mate was a little too narrow to squeeze through without risking bumping. The goal was top four and I was there. With 60m to go the guy I was marking popped and I could finally get around and almost passed my team mate giving us a 1-2 and beating a real stud in the process. Now that we are qualified Tommorow we will work our butts off for our team mate who worked the front so effectively.

I also did the long 10k TT, my 4th ever, and finished in 6th or better depending if any of the others were out of state residents. My time was 14:41 and I felt sorry for myself the whole way because I need to HTFU. I just might really go out in tomorrows 5k TT with a killer attitude.

So, the jungle room at our house will be waiting for Racer Ex and any others who race their way into next summer's National Senior Games. Party time!

Last edited by Allegheny Jet; 07-26-12 at 12:28 PM.
Old 07-26-12, 12:43 PM
VanceMac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, the jungle room at our house will be waiting for Racer Ex and any others...
This is some weird swinger thing, right? I'm not up on the lingo.
Old 07-26-12, 01:11 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked 2,440 Times in 1,426 Posts

I think the 48 seconds needs an Xtranormal video to fully explain it with color commentary by Mrs. A'Jet.
Old 07-26-12, 01:13 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

VanceMac. Kudos for riding with the As. That had to be fast.
Old 07-26-12, 01:16 PM
Allegheny Jet

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey, Racer Ex claimed the jungle room. I've got 11 months to figure it out.
Old 07-26-12, 01:24 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Hey, Racer Ex claimed the jungle room. I've got 11 months to figure it out.
Monkeys.... lots of monkeys.
Old 07-26-12, 01:27 PM
Allegheny Jet

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hermes
I think the 48 seconds needs an Xtranormal video to fully explain it with color commentary by Mrs. A'Jet.
No thanks! My creative streak wants to do something with "minute man" and I ain't going there. The 48 second sprint started with me following up on a preme in case there would be an attack that I could latch on. I kept wheel hopping up to the next guy then decided I might as well go for the preme. I only really nailed it the last 75 meters and had a 5" PP of 1,210w. On the power file it looked like an "M" with extra "v's" in the middle.
Old 07-26-12, 03:18 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

See anyone we know... Encino Velodrome.

Old 07-26-12, 03:47 PM
VanceMac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ha, thanks Hermes. I really can't say enough good things about track. I'm excited for A Jet and the cyclists of Cleveland.
Old 07-26-12, 03:53 PM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice sleeves.
Old 07-26-12, 05:47 PM
VanceMac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice sleeves.
I am unaware of your meaning.
Old 07-26-12, 06:08 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I might have to come out for the Encino races. Haven't ridden that track yet.
Old 07-26-12, 06:56 PM
VanceMac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Racer Ex
I might have to come out for the Encino races. Haven't ridden that track yet.
I'm going to guess that the Aug 8 Keirin Tournament does not jive with your Road Nats training program?
Old 07-26-12, 07:45 PM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VanceMac
I am unaware of your meaning.
I was looking at that shot on my phone. The sleeves looked like stars and stripes. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 07-26-12, 07:54 PM
VanceMac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was looking at that shot on my phone. The sleeves looked like stars and stripes. Sorry for the confusion.
Yeah, if you see stars and stripes on me, you can report me to Dudel. Ha. I get to see a lot of stars and stripes around here, at least... including certain mods, of course. My club's origins have some loose French connections, so every couple years they offer a French tribute kit. That's what's going on there, though the blue stripe is hard to make out against the (slightly) darker blue background.
Old 07-28-12, 08:24 PM
Allegheny Jet

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Day two at the state senior games went very well for most of our team. In the road race we had four riders in the 40K race. The three of us who rode yesterday plus one strong team mate and felt pretty good about our chances. Our race plan was to control any breaks that didn't include our two riders who still needed a top four finish. In lieu of that we decided to form a sprint train with 1/2 mile to go. Joe, who won yesterday, would start the train and at 400-350m I would lead out into sprint zone, then Greg would take his sprint to the finish with Marshall on his wheel.

The race was slow paced and not too aggressive with only a few attacks which Joe and I bridged up to and helped to bring them back. Just before the last lap I heard a tire blow in the field behind. I moved over and looked back and only saw two black kits. Greg got the flat leaving Joe, Marshall and myself. Time for plan B! On the last lap I rolled back to speak with Joe and we decided to delay the early sprint until 600m with the idea that I could bring Marshall close to the line before I blow up. I then informed Marshall of the change of plan and we were all good to go knowing that Joe would flick then roll off left and I would hold my line when I blow up. The pace went very easy then with 1.5 miles to go one guy jumped and got a big gap. Two other racers started to chase and Joe and I bridged up and when they both rotated we slowed the pace until the pack got back together. At that point I looked back and Marshall was on my wheel. With one guy away we needed to get Marshall in one of the three remaining spots. Just as planned, we went to the left of the field and at the landmark discussed, Joe jumped and the train was flying. Joe was strong and pulled us to the 300m land mark then flicked his elbow and rolled to the outside. I was watching my cadence and once leading got it back up to 97 then went OTS around 250m and just nailed it for as long as I could. With about 60m To go I looked back and saw two riders on my wheel then a decent gap back to everyone else. My cadence was 118 so I just stayed OTS and ran through the finish for 2nd. Just past the finish riderspassed me on both sides. The one on my left was not on my team then when I turned the other way I saw Marshall, mission accomplished! I kept asking him what place he ended up as I didnt expect to make it to the finish with my sprint and was worried my placement would take a spot. We got our guy in using team work and planning. What a great feeling it was to work as a team and meet a goal. The day prior Marshall controlled the front allowing Joe and I to sprint with fresh legs, and that was the way to return the favor.

Sorry for the poor quality of this post. I'm terrible at typing on a phone.
Old 07-28-12, 08:54 PM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice job, AJ. Way to ride those guys off your wheel.
Old 07-28-12, 09:48 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
AJ, that was an exciting read! Great result, great job!
Old 07-28-12, 10:43 PM
Cleave
Old & Getting Older Racer

Bikes: Bicycle Transportation: 2022 Hyundai Kona Electric, 2019 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
AJ, sounds like you had a lot of fun and great success over the two days. Sounds like Cleveland will be a tough race next year.
Visit my blog at https://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
Lightning Velo Cycling Club: https://www.lightningvelo.org/
Learn about our Green Dream Home at https://www.lawville.org/
Old 07-29-12, 01:11 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Very impressive, AJ.
Old 07-29-12, 06:22 PM
AzTallRider
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Awesome, AJ, just awesome work.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.