Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Condor Acciaio

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Condor Acciaio

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-22, 09:12 PM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Expert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor, Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 59 Posts
Condor Acciaio

I have a chance to buy a Condor Acciaio for about $350 USD. It has Columbus Max tubes and Chorus derailleur. It is a perfectly grotesque blue-fade-to-purple. I’m not familiar with the brand. Any comments or ideas about its value, date etc.?
Old 03-28-22, 09:54 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 932 Posts
Condor.

MAX.

Buy now.
Likes For P!N20:
Old 03-29-22, 06:02 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 656 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,041 Times in 1,879 Posts
Columbus MAX was introduced for the 1988 model and was a (very successful) attempt at producing an very stiff frameset by using large diameter tubes that were elliptical at the ends and oriented to oppose the directions of maximum stress at the joints. Tubeset weight was 1900g, which was 25g lighter than SL. It was Columbus's top ranked tubeset for a handful years but many find it too stiff, to the point where Columbus released a more foregiving Mini-Max version. If you're one of these people who tries to stuff the fattest possible tyre into SLX frames, then this is not the frame for you.

There have been many Condor brands over the years but this is the English marque that traces its origin to 1948. The C&V modles are very highly regarded and they were one of the English builders showcased by Kolin & De la Rosa in their seminal 1979 book, The Custom Bicycle. A Condor was also featured in that other 1970's stalwart, Richard's Bicycle Book. Condor have been owned owned by many British celebrities inlcuding Bradley, Wiggins, Eric Clapton (who reportedly owns eight Condor), Mick Jagger and Keith Richards. Four time World Champion in the Pursuit, Hugh Porter, won the first of his world titles on a Condor and they have sponsored numerous pro teams over thee years.

That's an attractive offer, especially if it's $CDN but I can't emphasize enough the extreme stiffness of these MAX frames. On a test ride, on good pavement, they feel like the greatest frames, but they will really beat you up on long rides and/or rougher roads.

Last edited by T-Mar; 03-29-22 at 06:06 AM.
Old 03-30-22, 05:26 PM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Expert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor, Marinoni

Thanks for the great information. I’ll take it for a ride before I decide for sure.
Old 03-30-22, 07:50 PM
Stevensb 

Bikes: Condor, Cinelli SC, MKM Metcalfe, Peugeot AE08, Bianchi, Cougar, Miyata, Harry Hall, Holdsworth Special, Raleigh Int'l, Le Croco, Bob Jackson, Zeus

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 53 Posts
I don’t know what the original fork looked like and it’s Hard to tell from the online picture is the fork is original but looks a little like it might be aluminum. Check the frame carefully fir evidence of front end damage. Otherwise looks good with some Chorus bits.

good luck.

Cheers.

Brad
Old 03-31-22, 08:08 AM
romperrr 
Pedal to the medal

Bikes: 1991 Team Miyata Track, 1992 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 19?? Schwinn High Serra, 1982 Trek 614, 198X Raleigh Alyeska

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 136 Posts
Are you all seeing a picture of the bike in question? Because I am not...
Old 03-31-22, 09:22 AM
Stevensb 

Bikes: Condor, Cinelli SC, MKM Metcalfe, Peugeot AE08, Bianchi, Cougar, Miyata, Harry Hall, Holdsworth Special, Raleigh Int'l, Le Croco, Bob Jackson, Zeus

@romperrr there is a picture online but I’ll leave it to @Mountain Mitch to post it if he likes.

cheers.

Brad
Old 03-31-22, 07:41 PM
Mountain Mitch

Can’t seem to download a photo.
Old 04-01-22, 10:53 AM
Stevensb 

Mountain Mitch

I think this is the one....

Condor by bj.stevens, on Flickr

Cheers.

Brad