Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Trunk racks

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-10, 08:33 AM
retnav94

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trunk racks

I am looking for a good trunk rack that will not damage the paint on the car. I also was thinking of getting a rack for the pick up. I have been thinking of the Saris Bones 2. I also came across The Amazing Bike Rack. It actually looks like it might be a good investment, anyone dealt with them? Does the rack have enough pading to protect the bike finish?

Also while I am at it another noob question, is there a way to lock the bike to the rack for long trips? I am assuming that a normal bike lock would do it if the rack is locked to the vehicle.

Thanks
Old 09-12-10, 08:58 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
My carrier has thick Firm rubber on the arms and this does protect the frame from damage from them but some form of padding will be required between this type of carrier and where it touchs the frame if you want "No" damage. And if carrying multiple bikes- then padding between each bike is required.

On the security side- I use a steel Hawser that is looped through the frame- and wheels if they are on the bike- and then the "Open" end is passed to the interior of the car through the Tailgate and fixed to an immovable object. You can see the hawser on the attachment.

dover..jpg

And the imovable object was not the wife- although she did feel like one after 600 miles travelling to the Alpes on this trip.

Spike Milligan
Old 09-12-10, 08:59 AM
gtragitt

Bikes: 2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Neither of my cars can utilize a trunk rack. I used to use one with a previous car. It was always more trouble than a hitch rack.

Trailer hitches can be installed fairly easily on most cars. I have one on my Corvette.

Be careful with whatever rack you ultimately use to secure the bike and not lose one like I did.

I have a couple of cable locks to secure both the bike and the rack to the hitch. If I had been using them I also would not have lost my bike.
Old 09-12-10, 06:31 PM
RoMad

Bikes: Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think if you leave any trunk rack on for a long time or a long trip you are liable to damage the paint. The problem is that dust and grime will eventually get between the pads and the paint. If you are only going on short trips you will probably be okay.
If you are going to be carrying the bike a lot, I would recommend getting a hitch and hitch rack. You can get hitches on line at places like etrailer. I have bought hitches from them and they are very easy to install yourself.
Sometimes I trade my son my truck for his car and when I do I use a trunk rack. To lock the bike on I start by running a cable through the exhaust pipe hanger and then the bike frame and rear wheel.
Old 09-15-10, 07:57 AM
chugger3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a trunk rack that fit my 2000 Corolla. It worked fairly well. When I got a 2009 Corolla I found it still fit, sorta. It is possible to mount the bikes so they rub on the bumper now, wasn't on the old car. ALSO when I hang the bike on the rack the straps SAG! Regardless of how well they've been tightened! The metal of the new trunk is tinnier (save weight) so a trunk rack is no longer a good option. I would HATE to try and carry 2 bikes on it. My friend has a trailer hitch on his Forester and some kind of rack that plugs to it. It takes him 10 seconds to latch a bike into his rack, versus 10 minutes of fooling with rubber straps and bungee cords with my trunk rack. I never had a roof rack, but I have mounted a Yakima utility rack up there and it catches a lot of wind.
Old 09-15-10, 02:10 PM
Torgrot

Bikes: Fuji Grand Fondo 2.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have had both the Saris bones and now a hitch mount Kuat rack, I 'll take the hitch mount any day. Easier to put on, easier to put bikes on, just easier all the way around. While the Saris Bones is a good rack, and I never had any problems with it, the Kuat is just so much easier that I wonder why I didn't get a hitch put on my last car. If you can't or don't want to do it yourself check out U-Haul as most of them carry the hitch and will install it for a reasonable price.
Old 09-15-10, 04:22 PM
retnav94

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have pretty much decided on the hitch. I initially did not think of putting a hitch on my acura TL, however, uhaul does have a hitch that is barely noticeable. I don't want the hassle of the straps and i dont want to ruin the paint. It is double the cost ( hitch and rack ) but worth it in the long run. Thanks for the input from everyone.
Old 09-15-10, 04:52 PM
sportridertex

Bikes: 1988 Cannondale SR500,TREK Mendota 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use to have a trunk bicycle carrier, I've since gone to a hitch and a Allen Bicycle carrier, Much more stable, and a real improvement in carrying bicycles