Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bermuda Triumph Re-vamp

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bermuda Triumph Re-vamp

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-15, 10:30 AM
ahilito

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bermuda Triumph Re-vamp

Hi,

I'm an occasional poster and wasn't sure if this belongs in the mechanics section or here.

I've got an old Triumph Bermuda which I want to work on a bit. But my first problem is I have no idea what size wheels should actually be on this thing, I found it dumped a few years back and managed to fit some random wheels onto it, which have served me til now (they were 26x1 1/4 [back] and 26 x 1 3/8 [front]).

Does anyone know what ideal size wheel I should be looking for for this bike? I was hoping to build it up as a single speed, possibly with a tensioner for the chain. But I'm not sure if the modern tensioners will even attach to this frame??

thanks for any help
Old 11-20-15, 11:07 AM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
No photos to help me, but I recall that the Bermuda was a three speed that perhaps was offered in a single speed version. The proper wheel/tire size would be 26 x 1 3/8 (590 B.S.D.). That designation may be molded onto the tire.

I don't understand the need for a chain tensioner. Could you post photos?
Old 11-20-15, 11:44 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3804 Post(s)
Liked 6,643 Times in 2,602 Posts
You could probably fit a wide variety of wheels (or you can with a Raleigh Sports). The main consideration will be what reach brakes you need (unless you're running it brakeless, of course).
Old 11-20-15, 01:48 PM
ahilito

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dweenk
No photos to help me, but I recall that the Bermuda was a three speed that perhaps was offered in a single speed version. The proper wheel/tire size would be 26 x 1 3/8 (590 B.S.D.). That designation may be molded onto the tire.

I don't understand the need for a chain tensioner. Could you post photos?

Sorry this photo isn't the best, but that's the bike.

I wanted to put a tensioner on because I thought it would alleviate any problems with a loose chain slipping off etc, but of course this isn't a big deal to me. You think it's not worth it?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
PB212245.jpg (82.7 KB, 13 views)
Old 11-20-15, 02:22 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by ahilito

Sorry this photo isn't the best, but that's the bike.

I wanted to put a tensioner on because I thought it would alleviate any problems with a loose chain slipping off etc, but of course this isn't a big deal to me. You think it's not worth it?

Thanks
It looks to be a 3 speed, and I would keep it that way - but I am a sucker for English 3 speeds. The rear rim looks to be salvageable with an oxalic acid (wood bleach) bath. You should have no chain drop problems as long as the chain is tensioned properly. I would try to find a bike shop or coop that carries cable housing clips/clamps and get rid of the tape. My two cents.
Old 11-20-15, 02:27 PM
ahilito

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I'll definitely be getting rid of the tape, don't worry!