Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do you *always* fall on the same side?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-16, 08:03 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts

So I took a fall yesterday - posted to my thread about wood-deck bridges. Fell on my right side, it makes sense in the edit I posted since I was making a slight right turn. However the first edit in that thread was straight as an arrow and I fell on my right. I don't have hard data on the subject, it just seems like it's always my right hip with the bruises and the memorable falls are on the right side.

Anybody else have the sense that they always hit the same side? Could it be a rider created issue (mashing heavier on one pedal)??
Old 03-28-16, 08:11 AM
techsensei

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I suspect it's like flipping a coin. It could land heads-up a dozen times in a row, but the odds would still be 50/50.
Old 03-28-16, 08:14 AM
molten

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
So I took a fall yesterday - posted to my thread about wood-deck bridges. Fell on my right side, it makes sense in the edit I posted since I was making a slight right turn. However the first edit in that thread was straight as an arrow and I fell on my right. I don't have hard data on the subject, it just seems like it's always my right hip with the bruises and the memorable falls are on the right side.

Anybody else have the sense that they always hit the same side? Could it be a rider created issue (mashing heavier on one pedal)??
!!!!!!!!!!
GREAT!!!!!
Keep it that way!!!!!!
(as we know): Falling on the "right" means that gravity weight is chosen by your body, to tilt to the right, as your bike go out balance.
DETAIL: That pulls the your body, add the majority of your bike, to the shoulder of the road. During fall-down. As that means opposite to the side of the wheels/car that the side that the road traffic drives on.
OR ELSE: YOU & YOUR BIKE ARE RUN-OVER.
Old 03-28-16, 08:18 AM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I could sell you some weights so that you fall more equally on both sides if you'd like. $35.00 + shipping. PM if interested.

I think I'm the opposite of you. I generally fall on my left side, barring any major force in the fall (aka hitting a tree.)
Old 03-28-16, 08:22 AM
molten

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What be the surface of the shoulder?
As that determines how much damage of the inner foam shell --- of the helmet. If worn.
I have made a thread about this, and a reply to another one's thread about this.
As cracks will widen/lengthen --- oven time (amount of falls). Add the quality/name of the helmet.
As I use Bell.
Old 03-28-16, 08:26 AM
molten

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When one be riding a racing bike, that amount of weight carried is critical.
Add, that when I have an indication that I will need to make that stop -- I merge t the right/shoulder.
Old 03-28-16, 08:28 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I"m pretty sure that I'm an equal opportunity fall-er. It's too bad that I haven't kept records because I suspect that I could provide a pretty good sample size.
Old 03-28-16, 08:30 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Maybe it is ingrained in us to fall away from traffic to the right.
Old 03-28-16, 08:40 AM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
I think it more depends on what foot you generally put down when you stop. I think the majority of people put their right foot down. I put my left foot down. (On the road.. on the mountain it varies.)

Last edited by corrado33; 03-28-16 at 08:45 AM.
Old 03-28-16, 08:43 AM
techsensei

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Maybe it's Murphy's Law taking effect; you always fall on the right side to ensure damage to the drivetrain.
Old 03-28-16, 08:54 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Originally Posted by corrado33
I think it more depends on what foot you generally put down when you stop. I think the majority of people put their right foot down. I put my left foot down. (On the road.. on the mountain it varies.)
I was thinking this too, I do put my right foot down first when stopping.

Originally Posted by techsensei
Maybe it's Murphy's Law taking effect; you always fall on the right side to ensure damage to the drivetrain.
HA!
Old 03-29-16, 12:29 PM
james1024

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've gone down four times since I started riding over a year ago. All times I came down on my left, irregardless of the circumstances. I'm left-handed and always put down my left foot. So, handedness may influence which way you go down.
Old 03-29-16, 01:05 PM
hyhuu

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You need to fall many more times to see if there is a statistical difference. Report back when you have enough falls.
Old 03-29-16, 01:07 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
I'm not sure, I don't fall that frequently. Does my dog pulling me off the bike count?
Old 03-29-16, 01:11 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by james1024
I've gone down four times since I started riding over a year ago. All times I came down on my left, irregardless of the circumstances. I'm left-handed and always put down my left foot. So, handedness may influence which way you go down.
Interested theory. I'd love to hear other's thoughts on this. I'm a rightie and hit the right side more often.
Old 03-29-16, 01:16 PM
techsensei

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wonder how many people fall by going over the handlebars? Newbies sure worry a lot about that, especially when the see a fixie or single speed bike with only a front brake.
Old 03-29-16, 01:40 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Yup, left side, every time. Twice last week (both minor falls, but both on the left side). And every other fall I can remember years ago.

Probably ingrained training from years of amateur boxing. I'm right handed and most righties lead with their lefts, with the body angled so the left side is toward danger -- the opponent. Once that habit has been developed it's hard to change.
Old 03-29-16, 04:35 PM
CeeDotA

Bikes: 17 TCR Advanced 2, 21 Revolt Advanced 3, 16 Trinity Advanced

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I've only fallen three times (knock on wood). Twice on my right and once on my left side. The first time I managed to bend my derailleur hanger and had to ride gimped a few miles back to the shop. The second time I fell I landed on my knee and bruised it bad enough I couldn't run for a few days. The last time I fell I managed to scratch a relatively new-at-the-time shift/brake lever.

So to answer your question, not really.
Old 03-29-16, 04:43 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 131 Posts
Originally Posted by techsensei
I wonder how many people fall by going over the handlebars? Newbies sure worry a lot about that, especially when the see a fixie or single speed bike with only a front brake.
I did once, but it involved someone throwing something at my front wheel.....
Old 03-29-16, 05:58 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm pretty equal I think.

Sorry about the fall @Hypno Toad

I've never gone over the bars.

Last edited by joeyduck; 03-29-16 at 06:05 PM.
Old 03-29-16, 06:01 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interested theory. I'd love to hear other's thoughts on this. I'm a rightie and hit the right side more often.
I'm left handed also buy these hasn't been a correlation. Though I always put my left for down, but that's been a worry since my last wreck.
Old 03-29-16, 06:41 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Once on the right, once on the left, twice over the bars. I'm a real balanced sort of guy.
Old 03-29-16, 07:00 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,534 Times in 1,044 Posts
It is ingrained in me not to fall. How do all the alleged Kool Kid, smart guys and "skilled" riders who post cycling advice on BF keep falling off their bikes?
Old 03-29-16, 08:59 PM
james1024

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would hypothesize that trust could play a part. It's possible that people would trust their dominant side to brace for the impact of a fall, given that it's the more coordinated side.

Eyesight could also play a part. Lefties tend to be left eye dominant, righties are the opposite. Falling on the dominant side would potentially allow you to better see your way down. Eye dominance also tends to influence which way animals turn. The deer population (and most other mammal populations) is split 50-50 between left and right dominance. A left-dominant deer will virtually always turn left in order to turn around or look behind itself. This is done in order to lead with the dominant eye.

People also tend to lead with their dominant foot when beginning to walk from a standstill. So, it's possible that people have a tendency, however slight, to shift their weight or momentum towards their dominant side.

But, none of this may be true or apply. I'm just trying to make some educated guesses.
Old 03-29-16, 09:16 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
It is ingrained in me not to fall. How do all the alleged Kool Kid, smart guys and "skilled" riders who post cycling advice on BF keep falling off their bikes?
I generally consider myself to be a clumsy, and awkward person yet some of the advice, and anecdotes of supposedly advanced cyclists who constantly proclaim how others should ride leave me scratching my head.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.